Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 2,270Posts
    • 15,347Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 26
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 22nd Jul 18, 3:37 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,050 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hope you!!!8217;re doing well PF. That sounds pretty nasty. DD2 had a huge attack of hives a fortnight or so again. Reaction to midge bites we think. Off school as so itchy and swollen all over. Our lovely pharmacist came to the rescue though..

Fingers crossed for planning xx
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [29%May 25%June 15%July ] 2018 Income Goal 76/750 August Goals: AFDs 7/25; Decluttering 05/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 01/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 29th Jul 18, 9:39 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 15,347 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning diary land.

RL has been really busy and I've had a short hospital stay. All on the mend now though. We've had payday so pots all topped up and money in the right places. We need to put in an insurance claim in for a holiday we weren't able to take, so hoping that gets paid otherwise we will have lost a considerable amount of money. Plus we will want to use the money to book another holiday.

No movement on the planning front, have chased architect but he's done his usual awol thing (eye roll) will try again this week. Due to my injury, I haven't been able to get in and strip the spare room like I hoped but I will do once recovered, that's first on my hit list. Watching a couple of items I need for best prices to get it finished.

We've had a new washing machine machine and the fitters said the pipes need moving so that they don't over stress the pump, will get the carpenter to do that when he does the door for the spare room. Hopefully it won't cost much but will significantly increase the life of the washing machine.

We've had a decent amount of rain in the last 12 hours which is much needed for the garden and more forecast for today, which will save me watering the plants. Hoping to harvest some more raspberries today, been getting a decent amount considering it's year one. Hoping for a bumper crop next year based on this.

Exercise has obvious,y been put on the back burner as I'm not allowed but hoping that within 2 weeks I will be back to doing some gentle exercise and I can build back up to where I was about 6 weeks ago.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 29th Jul 18, 4:30 PM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 10,415 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hey PurpleFairy, glad to hear you are on the mend!

Homegrown raspberries sound delicious- Im so thankful for the rain we have at the moment as our cats were struggling with so much heat!

Look after yourself x
    2018 MFW #20 - OP 2489.56/ 3000 83%
    May: 361.07 June: 182.76 July: 306.59

Mortgage Oct '16 170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 255.50 2017 2600.40
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 29th Jul 18, 9:42 PM
    • 3,707 Posts
    • 31,763 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Take it easy and rest up PF - I'm keeping everything crossed that the holiday insurance comes through for you.
    Achievable August NSD #18 3/15 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 29th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 23,744 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Sorry to hear you've been in the wars. Get well soon.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 6% paid Overpayments: 1680.24 Emergency Fund: 70%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Aug 18, 7:55 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 15,347 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Thank you kittenkirst, CCL and fortune for pooing by and your good wishes. I feel so much better and am planning a run at the weekend

We've been away at a family wedding which was spendier than I would have liked (not the actual wedding we were frugal there) but just getting there and the logistics of staying in 2 places over 3 days etc... meant we spent more than we would have liked. Oh well, it's not like we don't have the money, would just rather have spent it on something else

Still no news on planning which is getting rather tedious now, but not sure what I can do about it when no one at the council seems to answer their phone and the architect is still awol. Hmmm.

In other news, I've finally (at the fourth time of asking) got our new mortgage fix, which we applied for before the rates went up but they were messing about with it but have agreed to honour the rate I applied for, which just saves me having to complain I need to print it off and get it sent back ASAP.

I also need to print the stuff I need for my insurance claim, I think I'll just send it all to my work e mail and print there when I'm back. I also need to print vet insurance claim (may call them first to see if they will pay out)

Hoping I might be up to some wallpaper removal in the spare room in the next couple of weeks so we can get straight in there before the depths of winter I'm hoping to book some holiday in September so if not before I can get it sorted then over a couple of days.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th Aug 18, 8:01 AM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 23,744 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Thank you kittenkirst, CCL and fortune for pooing by and your good wishes.
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 6% paid Overpayments: 1680.24 Emergency Fund: 70%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 15,347 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Whoops unfortunate typo
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Aug 18, 10:54 AM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 21,972 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Lol....that is actually the best typo ever & nearly made me spill my coffee!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 264
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 15,347 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Lol....that is actually the best typo ever & nearly made me spill my coffee!
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Glad to be of service
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 11th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 3,679 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Sorry to hear you have been poorly PF. Glad to read you are feeling better, pooing notwithstanding

Ah planning, the joys. I have done very little about mine since we got it granted, really must crack on.
    BTL Overpayments since 20/4 30.63

AFD June 8/15 NSD June 5/11

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: 17,005
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

8,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin