Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 2,381Posts
    • 16,165Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 26
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 22nd Jul 18, 3:37 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hope you!!!8217;re doing well PF. That sounds pretty nasty. DD2 had a huge attack of hives a fortnight or so again. Reaction to midge bites we think. Off school as so itchy and swollen all over. Our lovely pharmacist came to the rescue though..

Fingers crossed for planning xx
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July] 2018 Income Goal 88/750 October Goals: AFDs 2/25; Decluttering 10/60; LSDs 02/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 29th Jul 18, 9:39 AM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning diary land.

RL has been really busy and I've had a short hospital stay. All on the mend now though. We've had payday so pots all topped up and money in the right places. We need to put in an insurance claim in for a holiday we weren't able to take, so hoping that gets paid otherwise we will have lost a considerable amount of money. Plus we will want to use the money to book another holiday.

No movement on the planning front, have chased architect but he's done his usual awol thing (eye roll) will try again this week. Due to my injury, I haven't been able to get in and strip the spare room like I hoped but I will do once recovered, that's first on my hit list. Watching a couple of items I need for best prices to get it finished.

We've had a new washing machine machine and the fitters said the pipes need moving so that they don't over stress the pump, will get the carpenter to do that when he does the door for the spare room. Hopefully it won't cost much but will significantly increase the life of the washing machine.

We've had a decent amount of rain in the last 12 hours which is much needed for the garden and more forecast for today, which will save me watering the plants. Hoping to harvest some more raspberries today, been getting a decent amount considering it's year one. Hoping for a bumper crop next year based on this.

Exercise has obvious,y been put on the back burner as I'm not allowed but hoping that within 2 weeks I will be back to doing some gentle exercise and I can build back up to where I was about 6 weeks ago.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 29th Jul 18, 4:30 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 10,663 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hey PurpleFairy, glad to hear you are on the mend!

Homegrown raspberries sound delicious- Im so thankful for the rain we have at the moment as our cats were struggling with so much heat!

Look after yourself x
    2018 MFW #20 - OP 3222.90/ 3000 107%
    Aug: 461.02 Sept: 10 Oct: 212.02

Mortgage Oct '16 170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 255.50 2017 2600.40
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 29th Jul 18, 9:42 PM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 34,282 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Take it easy and rest up PF - I'm keeping everything crossed that the holiday insurance comes through for you.
    October Gobstopper #8 NSD = 12 1 debt vs 100 days 328.51/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 29th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 23,957 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Sorry to hear you've been in the wars. Get well soon.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 7% paid Overpayments: 2789.20 Emergency Fund: 75%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Aug 18, 7:55 AM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Thank you kittenkirst, CCL and fortune for pooing by and your good wishes. I feel so much better and am planning a run at the weekend

We've been away at a family wedding which was spendier than I would have liked (not the actual wedding we were frugal there) but just getting there and the logistics of staying in 2 places over 3 days etc... meant we spent more than we would have liked. Oh well, it's not like we don't have the money, would just rather have spent it on something else

Still no news on planning which is getting rather tedious now, but not sure what I can do about it when no one at the council seems to answer their phone and the architect is still awol. Hmmm.

In other news, I've finally (at the fourth time of asking) got our new mortgage fix, which we applied for before the rates went up but they were messing about with it but have agreed to honour the rate I applied for, which just saves me having to complain I need to print it off and get it sent back ASAP.

I also need to print the stuff I need for my insurance claim, I think I'll just send it all to my work e mail and print there when I'm back. I also need to print vet insurance claim (may call them first to see if they will pay out)

Hoping I might be up to some wallpaper removal in the spare room in the next couple of weeks so we can get straight in there before the depths of winter I'm hoping to book some holiday in September so if not before I can get it sorted then over a couple of days.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th Aug 18, 8:01 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 23,957 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Thank you kittenkirst, CCL and fortune for pooing by and your good wishes.
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 7% paid Overpayments: 2789.20 Emergency Fund: 75%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Whoops unfortunate typo
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Aug 18, 10:54 AM
    • 4,312 Posts
    • 22,799 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Lol....that is actually the best typo ever & nearly made me spill my coffee!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 353
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Lol....that is actually the best typo ever & nearly made me spill my coffee!
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Glad to be of service
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 11th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Sorry to hear you have been poorly PF. Glad to read you are feeling better, pooing notwithstanding

Ah planning, the joys. I have done very little about mine since we got it granted, really must crack on.
    0% card was 1126.91 / Now 1669.11

AFD June 8/15 NSD June 5/11

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: 17,005
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 22nd Aug 18, 11:37 PM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Evening diary land, struggling to sleep so thought I'd read some diaries and catch up on my own
    Payday has been and gone so pots all topped up. Despite best laid plans of a budget, I'm about 170 down each month until April thanks to a tax !!!! up, which I still don't see how it can be right but can't argue the numbers which means that basically our savings will just have to be reduced by that, we can't cut it back anywhere else. I guess we're lucky that we can do that but it makes me annoyed when we were just really starting to plough on. Anyway, onwards and upwards, we are still in a much better position than we have ever been in so I shan't complain too much.

Town planner and architect must be on holiday together for the whole of August it seems, am going to try another approach tomorrow.

Much needed day at home tomorrow (albeit working) am hoping I can get caught up with the washing outside as I have been having to put it on airer and it just doesn't seem totally dry despite the humidity/warmth

I've opened two long term financial products at the weekend and will plan to open the same for DH when either one of us gets a pay rise to cover the cost. That will hopefully give us a decent return in 10 years which we can do something decent with. Hoping to look at one or two other things over the next 12 months so that FIRE could be a reality with a decent plan.

Need to spend some time looking at our life insurance products to make sure we're not paying over the odds and we have sufficient cover.

My new financial year starts in a few weeks (just the way it worked from when I started budgeting) so a nice clean tab on my excel sheet. I'm going to try and weave in a small overpayment to my BTL mortgage so I can see that coming down, so at least if I have to remortgage at some point it's less. Given it's in 2 parts, and part 2 is higher rate I'll get it off this. The other part is so old there is no point moving it anywhere as the rate is v good. Good to see this week the house next door but 1 to my property sold for 20k more than mine was last valued at about 4 years ago. This makes the ltv much more appealing if I did have to port it at some point.

Need to also do do some exercise at some point this weekend. Hmm, maybe Friday night would be a good starting point.
    Last edited by PurpleFairy26; 27-08-2018 at 8:32 PM.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 27th Aug 18, 8:41 PM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So I've managed to set up my mortgage overpayment which is a good start and I've managed 2 runs, but the best news this past week is that planning has been confirmed oh my

It's taken a ridiculously long time for no apparent reason it seems but anyway, that's all in the past. We're a few months off securing the final funding element but that just means more time to save and hopefully in the meantime we can finish the last room in the house. I've booked the plasterer and stripped 3 of the 4 walls and emptied loads of stuff out will message the carpenter tomorrow with some timescales to give him a bit of notice. Should be done by autumn I would like to paint 2 other rooms, but that shouldn't take long am hoping a few days off work will allow me to break the back of this in a few weeks. This means the only rooms left would be ones affected by the extension so no reason to do anything in there until after the build.

Must update my to do list for the next few months to cover planned items round the house. Feel like I need a medium term exercise challenge too, may have a look on a running app for inspiration.

DH boss has given him a small bonus for all his help last week, will go to savings
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 27th Aug 18, 10:21 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 8,635 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Great news about the planning and your dh's little bonus
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 28th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 34,282 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Congratulations PF - on the planning, and the bonus!!!
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 30th Aug 18, 9:01 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,922 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    So sorry I thought I'd posted to say yay to the mortgage overpayment, yay to the planning and yay to the bonus!

H x
    Debt:Overdraft 2 2400 Credit card 2200 now 1700 Car - Purchased 11,518.40 now 6909.04 Barclays loan 3000 now 2813.80 Dad 300
    PAID - Computer 646.52, Overdraft 1 2200
    Emergency fund: 0 General savings: 0
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 3rd Sep 18, 9:59 AM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning, busy busy busy here but all in a good way. Managed to get my bike serviced and repaired (well it's in at the moment) for no charge which would be a result.

We've given back some items we were storing for someone so feel like a decent amount of space has been regained, so we have a bit of sorting to do there now. I might rearrange some furniture for a change.

Managed to bake some goods at the weekend for the week ahead so feel a bit more ready to face the week with packed lunches and the like. Some soup to make later to use some black beans from my use up list. Yesterday's use up involved some chocolate spread in a cake. Win, win

Tonight's use up is Christmas Brie from the freezer in bacon, courgette and Brie risotto . Hoping the use up from the freezer will have an impact on a much reduced food spend this month. Got some items yesterday and hoping for only fresh produce until October. Let's see how we do

Have had the paperwork for the 2 financial products we opened along with a privilege type card which I need to investigate for discounts etc... need to keep an eye out for the 2 gift cards they promised me for signing up, and the cashback of course.

DH got a voucher for his birthday which I will put the money in savings for an item and use the voucher for other gifts.

Managed my longest pop op run of 5 miles yesterday. Hoping for another 5 miler later in the week. Also fitted ina gym session and realised how much I'd missed it, again will try and fit in another in my working week if I can.

Am starting to think about C and what I can do in advance as it's such a busy time for lots of other reasons in the lead up and work is particularly busy between October and mid December. I might make some chutneys to give so I can start to think about those and get them done and out of the way. Hopefully will have some of the storecupboard items already which will keep the cost down.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd Sep 18, 8:22 PM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 34,282 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    That risotto sounds amazing PF. And I think I'm almost talked round to chutney and jam making - they are good ideas for Christmas gifts
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 6th Sep 18, 10:09 AM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning diaryland. This is the recipe for the courgette and Brie thing, it's yummy

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2986/courgette-bacon-and-brie-gratin

Going to do another run today which will be good and some more cooking, cakes have all but gone so need another, will see what's on my useup list, I have my sights on some mincemeat from last Christmas

This weeks good news is the holiday insurance have paid out well the money isn't in the account yet but I have an e mail with the amount just need a sensible conversation with DH about when we might rebook

Still plodding on with the house, boss agreed to some leave in a couple of weeks so that's good. Only annoyance now is that neighbour is building a small extension (no issue with that in principle) however, he's not discussed it with us and it's going to be joining our house and they have already dug the foundations without any discussions. Just another thing to resolve.

Talking of extensions, must ring our builder today. Want to get things moving.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 6th Sep 18, 7:39 PM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 34,282 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Really pleased that the insurance have paid out. Excellent news!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,001Posts Today

8,303Users online

Martin's Twitter