Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 2,229Posts
    • 15,076Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 25
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 3rd May 18, 1:08 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,076 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So it's nearly the weekend again (and a long one to boot) managed to keep the new room tidy for a whole week ok the spare room looks like a junk shop, but it's all progress.

Spent considerable time on the phone today to mortgage peeps to try and sort new mortgage. They've taken some more details and will hopefully call me back tomorrow. Hopefully enough time to get it all lined up before August when we move to svr.

This weekend aiming for a mix of gardening, house jobs and quality family time. Want to meal plan for next week so I can work out what meals we might eat this weekend so I can go tomorrow night and not have to fight the supermarket at the weekend.

No news on planning permission but it's up on the council portal and the 8 weeks is ticking

Want to do some exercise today, going for a long walk later, might do a HiIt session before I pick smalls up from school.

Need to do some work at some point but not feeling very inspired. Hmm. Maybe get off the Internet would be a start
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th May 18, 3:52 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,076 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Happy Saturday peeps

Busy week but all good. Have been running more or less every other day and managed my first ever 8km without stopping. I know it's not impressive to lots, but to me it was a huge psychological step. Want to run today but DH has taken himself to bed as he's so tired after a busy week. Will hopefully go when he gets up.

Managed to get in the spare room last weekend and tidy lots and move a piece of furniture downstairs. I've got a big bag for selling and another for charity shop. Just need to list some things now for sale at least I can get in there now.

I've booked 3 days of work next week, hoping to strip the wallpaper one of the days, or some of it at least.

Managed to tidy the garden last week and DH mowed both lawns. Looks much better. Really must get my potatoes planted at some point this weekend. At last the 5 trees have taken and all but one of the raspberry canes. I still have hope for the 6th. Blueberry bushes have loads of flowers on them so I am hopeful, given how expensive soft fruit is and how much we get through

Have managed 4 loads of washing today, including 2 sets of bedding. Hoping it'll all dry. Last week I washed all the children's winter goats and hats and gloves. Will do mine and DH coats when we next get a good day and then put them all in the loft.

Need to ring mortgage people again now DH and I have had a good chat. Fingers crossed they come back soon. Purps.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th May 18, 4:31 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,076 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    I bet the winter "goats" keep the kids nice and warm PF
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    they weren't too keen about being pegged on the line though
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th May 18, 8:07 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 30,973 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    PF - hope you're feeling ok today. I see the time of your last post and suspect that you haven't slept well...
    June Odessy NSD 6/10 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 13th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hi PF

Hoping alls OK. Trying to drag myself out to a class now...but late night last night and its a tough decision.

How was the sourdough? All the house stuff sounds amazing. Well done.

Brizzle x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [29% May 25% June] 2018 Income Goal £76/£750 July Goals: AFDs 16/25; Declutter 60 items 07/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 05/30 12k steps per day please Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 17th May 18, 11:56 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,076 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Unfortunately the last sourdough I made didn't look great as it overproved but it was the very warm bh weekend. Must feed starter today as I didn't make one last weekend as I'm trying to be really good with my food and knew I would be tempted if I made it. That said, I've on,y had the tiniest sliver of chocolate and beetroot cake I made on Monday, which is a record for me

The planning website was showing our application as invalid on Monday swift text to the architect, it's now showing as non valid, which I assume is progress

We got a mortgage fix through but I went back for another quote which I should hopefully have today, can then discuss with hubby and hopefully have solved over the weekend. Which would be nice not to have to think about until August when current deal ends.

Very quiet on the rest of things, busy doing other stuff. DH and I are both running lots which is good for fitness and our general health. I've done another 7km today, which takes me to 46.1km in May , with about another 40 scheduled based on my current training plan before 31st

Bank account looks ok and only 1 week until payday, famous last words DH work have agreed to pay him 4 weekly which is good for us from a budgeting perspective as we budget 4 weekly from my payday to the next so it means we don't have to do a budget cycle without his pay.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 17th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 4,147 Posts
    • 21,533 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Surprising just how much the ambient temperature affects sourdough baking. I upped my recipe to a 500g mixture in the winter as it was struggling to rise as much as I like for the size of tin. I'm back down to 400g size of mixture now & mixing it early evening & baking first thing the next morning, & it's really rising well overnight. I'm using half wholemeal & half white flour at the moment & we're enjoying our lovely toast x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £264
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 22nd May 18, 5:04 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,076 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So the neighbours have had a letter from the planning department so things are moving cue me checking the portal daily to see no progress at all

We have a second mortgage deal on the table from the broker, seems sensible just need to fund some time to sit and talk to DH when we are not like ships passing in the night

3 days until pay day and we'll just about hang on, there won't be much in the overpayment pot (on top of what I've already overpaid) this month for the LPDF. We went to the wholesalers at the weekend for our 2 monthly or so shop which accounted for some of it, although stores are nicely stocked on the back of it.

Next aim is working through 1 of the freezers, must update freezer inventory and then can meal plan from there for the next couple of weeks and be really strict and plan to just buy fresh stuff only

Runs up to 59.7km on the month to date very pleased with that, hoping to go to the gym later too today am going to take my bag with me. No run, but will do some weights and hopefully a sit in the steam room

The 6th raspberry cane has grown leaves I've loads of flowers on my blueberries which are showing signs of turning in to fruit unfortunately the 2 tomatoes have not done much, will have to see if a weeks worth of tlc will bring them round.

Need to start writing a holiday list so I can be prepared and not be rushing round last minute for things. 8 weeks and counting
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 27th May 18, 9:58 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,076 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    A productive week here. So lovely having the extra day at the weekend and we have been lucky to survive the bad weather today. I managed a couple of hours in the garden this morning, I mowed both lawns, trimmed the edges and wedded two beds.

Finally moved some pots around to make better use of the space and sewed some rocket and planted out another tomato. One of my courgettes has finally spouted too, about 4 weeks PST planting. Looks much tidier out there than it has been for ages, not much colour and would like to address that at cheap cost just to limp through this year.

Managed to run 10k this week one day without stopping. Big hurdle for me

Ordered some dresses for the smalls online but they were definitely not worth the money, so they are going back. Need to track another refund that's not appeared yet. I also ordered DH and I some running tops, won't be keeping them all, so need to try them on again tomorrow and decide and get them parcelled up.

We've decided on a mortgage deal, so will get applied for that. Also talked about some other long term financial decisions that we will get in motion once mortgage approved

And despite being at work this week, looking forward to a week of not being in School routine and seeing lots of loved ones.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 28th May 18, 3:15 PM
    • 4,147 Posts
    • 21,533 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Sounds like you're really cracking on with the house.....& yes, I DO have a box of frames for 'shopping from home'. I've removed a particularly nice frame from it recently for regifting with a nice photo in. Perfectly nice, but not my style, which is more vintage/shabby chic.
    Re your girls' dresses. This continues to be the downside of shopping online, doesn't it? My Mum is currently trying to return an 'exceptionally lightweight rechargeable lawnmower'. I think it was weighed without the battery as when that's attached, as it obviously has to be for mowing, poor Mum can barely lift it! And it's cr*p at cutting grass too! I buy less & less online now.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £264
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 3rd Jun 18, 9:47 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,076 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Agree foxgloves itís a bit of a lottery buying online and some places make it very difficult for things to be returned. Luckily this retailer didnít (one of your favourite haunts ) and there stuff is normally such fab quality I was surprised. However, they obviously arenít as Ďmaterial not as expectedí one was one of the 10 options as reasons for return

A lovely week has been had by the smalls and they have seen lots of lovely friends and family. Back to the routine tomorrow for them. Theyíre not going to be feeling the love in the morning, Iím sure

Weíve had a productive time too considering Iíve been at work. We too have seen lots of friends and family this week and been very social house also looking ok, lots of washing done and dried and Iíve vacuumed through everywhere ready for the week ahead. I managed to do the lawns last week and plant out my last tomato and some rocket. Although I think the two fat local pigeons have taken a likening to my blueberry bushes as some flowers have definitely disappeared and theyíve cleared off the last twice Iíve come home. Earlier they were just brashly chowing down on something less than a foot from the sunbathing cat they obviously know theyíre a bit big for
    Him

DH and I both managed to go to the gym today after running yesterday. Hoping for a run tomorrow too but will see if time allows. Would dearly like to get to 100km in June.

Iíve also managed to list 9 items on fleabay and a few more set aside which Iíll try and do tomorrow (loosing light now for decent photos). 1 bid on something already all Ďtakingsí will go to LPDF

Named another £12.50 payment today to fund. T$b have upped their in credit interest since the tech fiasco meaning we got twice as much this month

DH also has a really good month at work. If he can get that every 4 weeks itíd be fab. But we know itís not guaranteed so we just have to see each month.

Iíve sent something back for a refund and need to chase another that hasnít appeared but they werenít open today.

Also bought a headboard in the sale, coming Wednesday not sure if itíll be ok, if not itíll go back. If we keep it, itíll be a bargain
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 8th Jun 18, 3:43 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    All sounding SO great. I worked the term break too but yes it felt much much easier than usual with the DDs off school.

Gardening has been sadly lacking this year...but can't do everything. At last our retreat at the end of the garden for summer drinks and chats has been repaired (for free I might add, rather proud of OH on that one) so at least its usuable. Liking vicariously hearing about your gardening though And well done on the runs. Excellent stuff.

Have a fab weekend x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [29% May 25% June] 2018 Income Goal £76/£750 July Goals: AFDs 16/25; Declutter 60 items 07/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 05/30 12k steps per day please Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 22nd Jun 18, 7:11 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,076 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    It's been a while but I've been keeping the faith, just not checking in to my own diary. We kept the headboard as it was brilliant and about a fifth of the price elsewhere also had money in house fund to pay for it

Other good things:
    Lots of time with family and friends, mainly outside as the weather has been so fab and very close family came back from a far flung place and was lovely to see them
    Managing to keep on top of exercise, running regularly which is making me feel so much better
    Payday today and all pots topped up
    Last payday before holiday and have sufficient holiday spends due to good budgeting and planning (rather than default position a few years ago of winging it )
    We have money in savings
    We've paid off 51% of our car loan in 14 months of having it (originally taken over a 5 year term) this has smashed the year end goal I'd set us
    Things on the horizon:
    Need to sort out a new mortgage deal, pronto. Had good chat with hubby last night and I think we have a plan. May have to pull purse strings in somewhat (again) over the next few months but don't see that being the end of the world although it would change our focus marginally away from LPDF to a different savings pot in the short term.
    End of school term. Just. So. Busy. So 3 weeks of madness to wade through and then we'll be in to summer hols. This week is quiet (apart from the obligatory dancing and 1 party) so am hoping to use that to get ahead for our holiday and at least sort out clothes and get some stuff shifted out of the spare room in to loft so I can dump holiday stuff in there.
    Smalls both have a school project due in 2 weeks so need to crack on with that and get it out of the way.
    Garden not too bad, could do with a bit of tlc , which it will hopefully get this weekend to keep on top of it.

Sunshine helps everything I find, so long may it continue
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 24th Jun 18, 1:45 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    "Sunshine helps everything I find, so long may it continue"

It so does PF. It so does.

You're sounding very perky and on top of things. its great. Well done.

Have a great week

Brizzle x
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 27th Jun 18, 10:24 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hope all good in PF Land

Brizzle
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 29th Jun 18, 10:25 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,076 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Thanks for swinging by Brizzle bit of a mixed bag to be honest.

Weather is obviously fab, so washing all up to date and lots of fresh air. But life has been so busy, lots of good things, friends, bbq, family time but do feel a little under pressure to get ready for holiday in a couple of weeks and there seems lots going on between now and then.

Hoping I can get ahead over this weekend, smallest and I are going to run some errands tomorrow whilst biggest small is dancing. I have a list

Came home to a rather big leak (we'll actually when we found source it was a small leak that had been just leaking for ages) cue stuff being pulled out in kitchen and lots of getting smelly water off the floor. We still need to move dishwasher but need to wait until we can put wm back and it needs to dry first. It's like an appliance jigsaw puzzle

Luckily the source was relatively easy to fix (and thankfully no cost ) will just keep an eye on it over the next few days. Will air again tomorrow and put a fan on too and see if we can dry one side so we can get behind DW this weekend and sort.

No movement on planning, apart from lady turning up unexpected to take photos (of what seemed like just my washing tbh ) but I'm sure she knew what she was doing. I do find it odd when they ask questions though such as, what is that room in your next doors house (points to random window)? Why would she just assume I knew that, very bizarre - I wouldn't mind but their house is different to ours, I could understand if it was identical. Oh well, deadline is next Thursday so we'll see if there is any progress

No exercise this week as I've not felt great and taken myself back to the doctors to dry and get some answers. Luckily had a fab doctor who has set me up for some tests which will hopefully give some said answers. Shame I was so up for it this week, especially as I'd bought a hydration pack and DH had treated me to a shiny new exercise watch thingy. I feel very lucky and spoilt will try and go out over the weekend if I feel like I find some energy from somewhere.

DH on overtime tomorrow so it will most likely be Sunday. Looking forward to a productive weekend.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 2nd Jul 18, 3:23 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,076 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Uurgh, I've woken (at some unearthly hour) with what appears to be an allergy attack of some description, I can't stop sneezing want to sand paper the roof of my mouth it so itches and eyes are puffy. I hope it's not me new medication, one side effects could be hives. Hoping I'll doze over on the sofa otherwise it'll be a long Monday

In other news we had a highly productive weekend....

I finally managed to get all the stuff up in loft I wanted and the stuff down I wanted, I can actually move in the spare room
    Due to the leak a job on the annoying things list for ages has been done (cleaning under cabinets)
    Leak has been fixed and area dried and smell eradicated at no cost
    All items got on errands yesterday
    Managed to purchase some cheap clothes (in a smaller size , eating plan and exercise is definitely working)
    Quality time with DH tonight
    Smalls played beautifully today, including doing big homework tasks, very limited tv too
    Huge sort out of smalls room, including all their clothes and the wardrobe - just needs vacuuming
    3 bags sorted for charity shop

Hopefully I can stay ahead this week as lots on..... have a good week all. Hoping to hear about planning this week and we're going to fix our mortgage today for 5 years. Happy days.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 13th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Wow...SOOOOOOO productive and what a great weekend (apart form the allergic reaction of course, hope you're better now)

Hope you've had a good week x
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,076 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Thanks Brizzle appears it wasn't an allergic reaction but the start of my body alerting me to some 'deranged' (consultants words not mine ) body function. So, 4 days in and out of hospital. Some tests and now a diagnosis. Straightforward. Amazing NHS. Minor procedure down the line but all good for now and getting back to normal.

Meant RL has been rather disrupted and some plans cancelled but we can replan and move on.

Money has been ok, save for some regular and rather pricey hospital parking but in the scheme of things I can live with that.

Need a new washing machine as current one has gone caput. May have to raid EF as rest of budgeting is going well so not really any spare. Oh well, I guess that's exactly what it's for and not putting it on CC is good.

Chased mortgage today as not had letter, but said it was in process, will sign and return, be good for something else ticked off to do list.

Not heard from planning, tried calling today, no answer. Oh well, no news is not a rejection so in the scheme of things I'm taking that as a win

I do want to crack on with the spare room now and having made progress a couple of weeks ago, I want to continue. Hubby taking smalls out on Sunday, if I'm feeling up to it I might have a go at getting some of it stripped.

Picked first ever home grown raspberry today
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Jul 18, 10:46 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 30,973 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Wow PF - I really hope that you're on the mend. Not pleasant when life throws these things your way but I hope you're doing ok now.
    June Odessy NSD 6/10 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

1,074Users online

Martin's Twitter