Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 2,190Posts
    • 14,832Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 23
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Lovely to *see* you Brizzle yes, Iíve big plans for 2018

Electrician has been round today, hopefully getting a sample and quote tomorrow
    Got quote for carpet today, sadly theyíve discontinued the one we wanted so will have to pick a different colour. Not world ending though in the scheme of things.
    New windows this week which are b-e-a-utiful. Sadly not the ones we ordered though so weíll have these on loan until they make the right ones.

Much work continues on mindfulness to keep healthy whilst I canít exercise loads. Super proud of mr PF who has ran a total of 50k already this year. This is huge for him and I admire his focus. That said weíve cancelled our gym membership, heís going to join one nearer home and I might do at some point but will make a saving in the meantime.

Weíve paid off our original debt this week too a 5 figure number gone forever as Iíve said before I could have cleared it a year or so ago but chose the scenic 0% route whilst building up an EF an redecorating 2 more rooms in the house.

We are not DF due to the car loan, but all funds now point to that and we have paid off over 25% in April months of having it. Again Iíve big plans for that this year.

I need to dig out my mortgage paperwork as I want to go to a broker a few months out to look for a deal so I donít have any time on svr and we get the extra for the extension ASAP. Iím thinking Iíll be contacting them in the next month or so as the deal runs out in mid August I think.

Lots going on but in a good way and the dawn of Feb feels like spring is but a small hop away.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 2nd Feb 18, 9:12 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,710 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Like that..its a 'small hop' indeed..

Congratulations on all the plans. Keep sharing as we all love a goal (or three ) Sounds fab and that original debt is gone gone gone. Brilliant news. Also fab you're able to get exercising again. Makes a real difference x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So exercising has stopped as abruptly as it started as I'm on crutches a falling out with a stair whilst carrying a chair did it

Hoping it won't be a long road to recovery but annoying as DH and I had made some great short term plans, some of which will need to be shelved hopefully we can resurrect them when I'm up and about again.

I do have lots of time to fiddle with spreadsheets though, every cloud and all that making plans to pay down the btl mortgage we have in the medium term

Electrician quote is good so will book him today, need to try to go back to the carpet place too and get something ordered.

Lovely weekend away paid from holiday fund, looking to book another for later in the year as budget working well. Wages will go up next month as reduced childcare vouchers now I've worked out annual cost. Have put a small amount extra to charity through a scheme at work and rest will go to LPDF I would imagine, at least in short term until we finalise mortgage paydown plans, may need to invest some here.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th Feb 18, 6:49 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,505 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Ouch!
    Hope that you're on the mend soon PF...
    June Odessy NSD 6/10 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 18th Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Thanks for popping by CCL managing to get round a bit more but it's still swollen and colourful

Lovely weekend, managed to do some decluttering and tidying and a few annoying jobs that had been bugging me for a while still need to sort smalls clothes for upcoming sale, but I have a few weeks yet.

Quality time with family which is priceless too

Funds looking ok with 2 weeks to payday. Will still keep an eye daily though and hopefully get some more surveys.

Plenty of food in fridge and ordered an organic fruit and veg box for Wednesday and see how we get on with that. Worked well before, just got out of the habit. Also trying raw milk from local farm, recycle your glass jar to fill up not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. Am going to track spend for a few weeks and see impact on food budget. Am planning more veggie meals to combat increase.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 23rd Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Another week has passed by and discussed with DH how I'd like to have £300 left in the joint account next week to add to LPDF. He seems on board and it's doeable if we're frugal. Need to do a meal plan around what we have and just buy some odd bits to fit in.

We have lots of veg and fruit, thanks to box. Wasn't overly impressed with quantity of veg when it said it would feed a family of 4 for a week but the quality is superb and the fruit is especially good. Maybe every other week?

Got my refund from the Nursery so I need to bank that and it go to the LPDF.

We've ordered the carpet for our room and DH will hopefully stain the skirting and door at the weekend. Just waiting on a date from the leccy and then we can sort date for carpet.

Tempted to order the chest of drawers we need but know we're can't put them up until carpet is down realistically so may as well wait. Money is set aside in a separate account.

Final building quote is in, just need to line all three up together and go through them methodically. I think we have a favourite though.

Ankle on the mend but still not fully mobile. Progress though.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 28th Feb 18, 5:40 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So we have asked architect to apply for planning permission on our behalf and picked our preferred builder, just need to call him with a couple of questions and then we'll confirm with him and update him with where we are with planning etc.

£300 overpayment isn't going to happen as a) I miscalculated 3DD that I thought had gone out that hadn't so I'll have to transfer £50 over to cover that and b) we went out at the weekend and had a drink and a couple of bags of crisps. Not much but was part of the £300 should still be bale to make decent overpayment though, and have £150 refund to go to it too.

Joined a new gym, saving £10 a month and it's so much nicer than our old one. Pool not overly chlorinated, hot sauna and steam room and the most powerful showers I have ever encountered hopefully it will give me a new motivation to go regularly. So far I've been 3 times in 3 days I can't exercise yet but have been using the water facilities to help rehab my ankle.

Hoping I can do some weights later in the week. As I can now shower there, we will also save some water at home too

Payday on Friday so will be good to top up pots and set an overpayment for this month depending on how much DH gets paid.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 2nd Mar 18, 7:13 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning everyone

Payday is here
    I've shuffled the money pots and get everything where it should be. Not sure if DH will get paid today or it'll be next week, but no matter.

EF now at 96%. When I started an EF nearly 2 years ago I thought I would never be able to build it up whilst paying down debt. I'd still like it to be bigger but the fact we have one at all of a relative size is comforting. Next months payment will get it to 100% target and then I'll just make a new target, which I know sounds a bit daft but it's nice to have achieved a target
    Other pots still look ok if not bursting at the seams. Once DH insurance is paid in April will see if I move some of the bills pot to top up one of the others

Still haven't heard back from the architect. If I don't hear by Monday will give him a call

Snow not too bad here(yet) and for that we are very grateful compared to lots, including those stranded.

I've managed to go to the new gym again and will do once or twice over the weekend. It's lovely.

I've made another overpayment to the loan. Overpaid by nearly £400 this month and we're about 20 away from 1/3rd paid. Pleasingly we have enough in savings (although some allocated to other jobs) but theoretically to pay the balance if we wanted to.

Saw electrician yesterday and he said he'd let me know soon when he can do the work, really hope it's soon as I would really like out my clothes back in drawers rather than the boxes they have been in for the last 6 months. Although the cat will have to find a new bed when we do

Right, must get smalls ready for school. Say safe and warm peeps. Purps.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 4th Mar 18, 9:27 AM
    • 833 Posts
    • 7,702 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Your new gym sounds fab PF and you certainly sound like you're getting your moneys worth from it!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • girl33
    • By girl33 7th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    girl33
    Hi

were planning on extending our home with single storey extension. just wondered whether you do a separate borrowing with out mortage or remortage as due for renewal soon. We found a local designer who has done the plans less expensive than a architect.

Many thanks
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hi

were planning on extending our home with single storey extension. just wondered whether you do a separate borrowing with out mortage or remortage as due for renewal soon. We found a local designer who has done the plans less expensive than a architect.

Many thanks
    Originally posted by girl33
    Hi Girl33 depends on circumstance really. Ours is due for renewal soon, so we're going to add it on so it'll all be in one go rather than doing it separately, we have saved a considerable amount too so we can keep borrowing to a minimum. When are you planning on getting it done?
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Project pay down the loan is still bursting ahead. Overpaid by just over £200 for our budget this month on top of normal payment and 2.85 cashback that takes us to 36% paid and has taken over a year of the length of the loan (plus some additional interest that will be refunded when we pay it off in full that doesn't show on on internet banking as the interest is front loaded) want to set us an aggressive target to aim for for year end. I'm thinking 66% total paid by year end. That would be great in only 20 month of having the loan. Albeit that was always our intention.

In other news, have made a sourdough starter in the hope we can start making all our bread from it and not have to get the shop bought stuff. On day 4 and it looks lively

DH got paid on Monday and it was a good month so hopefully there will be some left to go extra at the loan. Again, will discuss with DH and see if we can be tight again the next few weeks on spends. Other than food, we don't really need anything else so it should be doeable.

Still using gym most days, so really getting our money's worth.

Am also going to call $ky today and see if we can reduce our package further thanks to recent price hikes, worth a try. We are already on a significantly negotiated deal with the, so don't
    know if it's possible. We'll see.

Still radio silence from the architect, will prod him around today. Possibly call builder too, just need to dig out list of questions.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Saw electrician yesterday and he said he'd let me know soon when he can do the work, really hope it's soon as I would really like out my clothes back in drawers rather than the boxes they have been in for the last 6 months. Although the cat will have to find a new bed when we do
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    'No, no, no, no, no, no' says the cat. It's taken months to get them just right!

I have a similar problem in the junk room aka en suite to be. But where will the cats sleep now? Probably on my laptop.

Enjoying your diary
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    'No, no, no, no, no, no' says the cat. It's taken months to get them just right!

I have a similar problem in the junk room aka en suite to be. But where will the cats sleep now? Probably on my laptop.

Enjoying your diary
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thanks for popping by, lovely to have you along. Your quote my me smile, too true
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 8th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    That's really good going on the loan!

My sourdough starter is on day 4 as well - my first go, so I was very excited to see some bubbles today
    LBM: Jan 2017. Total owed: 45493.21 (37800.21 on CCs) Now: 33010.10 (28369.26 on CCs) Paid: 27.4% EF: £705/£1000
    Credit in use: 65.67% DFD: August 2021
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    That's really good going on the loan!

My sourdough starter is on day 4 as well - my first go, so I was very excited to see some bubbles today
    Originally posted by One-step-at-a-time
    Hey OSAT sourdough twinnies mines got bubbles but looks like it's gone down a bit from this morning. We'll see. Looking forward to a weekend loaf let me know how you get on.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 8th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,710 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    I had a great Herman starter for a bit...but then managed to kill it!!!

I may have to start a new one Made Some HM bread in the BM when it was snowy and it reminded me it can be lush.

Great news on the extension plans and full EF etc PF, youre doing great. Hope ankle rehab continues to go well x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Mar 18, 6:33 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So managed 25 minutes on the bike yesterday and 25 minutes of weights and the ankle held up well, still difficulty when flexing it for some weight bearing moves so will continue to work on that slowly. Still not built up to running, will give it another week I think, although it's 4 weeks today since I did it.

I'm going to go the gym again today, so we'll see how we go. Definitely getting our membership worth and more.

No sourdough loaf yet, I have bubbles but it hasn't grown any since I did my last feed. I had to add more flour as per the instructions as, as suspected it was overactive so I got a layer of liquid on top. May feed again today and see how we get on.

Will likely make this later on, current favourite

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/clementine-almond-and-olive-oil-cake

House ticking along, Although I really want the electrician to give me a date this week, otherwise we may have to go elsewhere. I'll glare at him in the playground

DH did some significant overtime last week, including working a few hours Saturday and Sunday, he's also working an extra day this week. So pay at the end of the month should be very healthy. Depending on how much we'll either pay the electrician so we don't have to tough savings or do Half electrician and had half to loan.

Have been exploring other savings options and considering putting some money in a s&s isa (wholly inspired by Brizzle) as it had not crossed my mind before reading her diary and possibly a tax free bond too. We need to think about paying down our btl mortgage at some point and having some money in a plan for 10 years would work well for that. We already save a small amount in my work shares scheme which is a 3 year maturity thing, but now have 3 running so we have one maturing each year. We have upped the contribution each year (less noticeable and you only seem to have to get use to the increase then not the whole amount) and intend to do so each year until we are at our maximum. This will give us c£6k a year back (without any share increase, if they do it'll be a bonus) that we will throw at one of the 2 mortgages each year but it would be good to have something else longer term too.

Was looking at some and they have sign up deals which would be a bonus, need to think about portfolio range and fees they charge for s&s to factor in.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 18th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Happy Sunday peeps. Snow has affected plans but I can see some money saving opportunities instead.

Have some batch cooking to do and have a clothes sale in a couple of weeks I really need to sort the too small items out for. Today seems a perfect day to do it.

Played around with mortgage overpayment calculator last night and worked out what we would need to do to have paid it off in 15 years. Iíve saved it as a separate sheet so I can refer back to it. It seems we have a plan. No overpayments yet (still have car loan to pay down) but we are already paying in to 3 year redemption plan thing so thatís effectively our overpayment.
    DH got a 5% pay rise yesterday so thatís good and there has been more promised later in the year. Will be great if that materialises. Part of me wants to skim off the pay rise to either future long term investments or in the short term LPDF. Something to think about.

Have negotiated a good deal with tv and broadband, just wanted to check with DH. Will call them tomorrow.

Hoping to go to gym today, we can walk as there is snow. I ran for the first time on Friday. Not far, but further than Iíve been in months. Hoping to build on it today. First aim will be to build up to 5km.

Lovely family day out yesterday with family. Cheap train tickets, bought lunch for DH and I and took snacks/food for smalls. Use our season ticket for last time. Wonít renew this year. Maybe weíll get them again next for best value.

Spent loads of time in a free museum which was amazing (and warm). Will take a picnic and have in there next time for all of us.

Great memories.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 18th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Sounds like you're having a great weekend

Glad you're thinking about salting away the bonuses and any pay rises before you get used to them. Its the way to do it I think...otherwise its harder to claw your way back to managing on what you managed on before.

Running sounds good. Haven't been since mid Feb. Need to go out this week. Done a few classes but really need to do both.

Enjoy your evening x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [13% April 29% May ] Income Goal £76/£750 June Goals: AFDs 09/25; Declutter 60 items 18/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 10/30 Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

2,323Users online

Martin's Twitter