Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 2,229Posts
    • 15,071Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 22
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Oct 17, 8:45 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Another busy week, seems never ended and so glad we got to the weekend in tack. Confession time, we had a takeaway last night. However, first one in ages, in fact, I think itís the first one this year so itís not like weíre at it all the time. It was amazing too

All pots topped up after payday, happy days. EF at 77% of target and everything else looking fine. Had a repayment of a savings account from work, half to savings and half to debt repayment, so savings outside of EF also looking healthy.

In house news, weíve finished stripping the last bit of walk behind the tv in the bedroom and taken off all the skirting so itís ready for the plasterer on Monday. Just our bed to move out tomorrow, I think weíre going to squeeze it into the lounge for a days.

Weíre off out tomorrow using our annual passes. Will take a picnic, just parking to pay which is fine, still a cheap day. Will get something out for tea before we go.

Whole week off work, looking forward to some quality time with family
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 21st Oct 17, 12:30 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Wow, first time I have sat down in a week it seems. What a week we've had. Used our annual passes to a collection of attractions 6 times Only paid for parking once, which was at a train station when we got the train to 2 attractions (saved £130 by driving most of the way )

We took picnics where we could so spending was definitely limited and considering this was in lieu of our any holiday this year, it really was fab We've hardly been at home too, which means we haven't been spending on food at home either

Plasterer has done our bedroom and the hall, due to the mild weather our room was dry in just over a day so DH has already started painting. I've been cleaning this morning as there is dust everywhere, which is all part of it and can't be avoided.

I've reconciled our just for points CC today and got 800 extra points with various coupons from Mr S today when I did shopping from list. List wasn't too big as I got lots of 10p bargains yesterday when I popped to mr W for a pint of milk on the way home (was nearest)

Next step is to get door and skirting on and blinds back up when DH has finished painting. need to call an electrician to replace some lights too, will do that next week. Can't believe where October is going, so need to plan some stuff for November as I think we're going to hurtle towards Christmas from now on in. Just a few gifts to buy though as I ordered a few this week. Would like to get that resolved in the next couple of weeks as it's always none stop (for lots of other reasons)
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 28th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 7,267 Posts
    • 35,711 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Wow..sounds great and uber busy. Well done to the PF household on winning the MSE Productivity Award
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • jmscott
    • By jmscott 30th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jmscott
    Hi, and thanks for writing this diary - inspiring stuff!

This is my first post, so please be patient. ;-)

Can I ask where you got your blinds? We've done some work on our kitchen and back room, and need a few new blinds. There are a few online options that seem quite a bit cheaper than the high street. I'm not afraid of a measuring tape, but are there any hidden risks/snags to going online?

Thanks for any advice/recommendations!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 31st Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hi, and thanks for writing this diary - inspiring stuff!

This is my first post, so please be patient. ;-)

Can I ask where you got your blinds? We've done some work on our kitchen and back room, and need a few new blinds. There are a few online options that seem quite a bit cheaper than the high street. I'm not afraid of a measuring tape, but are there any hidden risks/snags to going online?

Thanks for any advice/recommendations!
    Originally posted by jmscott
    Hi. Thanks for posting. We bought them from web blinds online, they were very reasonable and sent samples in advance which were free and allowed us to make the right choice in terms of colour. I went through a cash back site too for some more discount.

Weíve been very pleased with them.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 5th Nov 17, 8:30 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    RL has just been crazy. Thank goodness for a freezer full of food that has kept us from takeaways and quick fixes (save for a portion of chips for £1.10 between 4 of us on Friday night)

Iíve also bought some Christmas presents and refrained from some others too. So I guess I may have had some more time that I thought I had.

Man came to quote for new door today so just need to plan that in but weíll fit in around him as his work is both excellent and reasonable.

Spent quality time with good friends this weekend which is always nice, low cost too as one was at their house and one at ours.

Last debt I came back here to pay off is now down sub £1000, Just 3 payments to go. On 0% so thatís why Iím not paying off sooner. We still have car to pay, which is then our only debt ( apart from mortgage). Weíre paying greater than minimums on that anyway and they will be increased even more in 3 months, so Iím pleased with all that.

A week until payday but Iím happy with where we are, pots all in the right place and just for points cc paid up to date. Considering it was half term it could have been worse if we hadnít been on it.

Need to find some time to exercise which is still lacking but have developed a shocking cold today (which is probably a direct result of how busy life has been) so nothing going to happen there this week until Iíve fully shaken that off. Just off for some ice cream, purely for medicinal purposes youíll understand
    • jmscott
    • By jmscott 6th Nov 17, 10:15 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jmscott
    Hi,

Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought of using a cashback site (although from what I've read I need to remind myself more often). I'm getting better at hunting for vouchers too, whereas I used to give up after a few clicks.

I'll order some samples and see how I get on.

Thanks again.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Nov 17, 8:44 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hope you get your blinds sorted jmscott we have outs down in the bedroom due to it being plastered and I really miss them. Canít Wait to get them back up, hopefully next weekend latest given we have a date for middle of following week for new doors and skirting. I need to buy handle and himdges but I have survey vouchers to use for these that Iíve been saving especially

Iíve found an electrician thatís been recommended so need to call him tomorrow too and see if he can come soon, hopefully only a days work and money in savings for it.

Was payday Friday so money moved into various pots, lovely to see some of the savings ones grow. Quick round up:

EF now at 81% of target 2. When we get to 100% will obviously move target again, I know I could move target now and reduce percentage complete, but I like to get to 100 first, some sense of achievement
    Bills account has over £800 in for future annual bills considering moving £100 out as we havenít used anywhere near the amount for car repairs this year (as we bought a new to us one) donít want to tempt fate though. May just wait another month and see.
    All other pots in positive apart from holiday which is £61 Ďoverdrawní however paid holiday balance and used saving mugs rather than pay a premium on 0% cc so Iím just paying myself back. Will be back in positive next month

Builder has confirmed quote will be here this week am both excited and nervous

DH and I have decided he will give up one of his pt jobs and move all his hours to the other pt job, making it nearly ft. Hopefully this will work better for us as a family in terms of time together and pay should be about the same, if not a little more. Will also mean DH is not trying to sleep in the day when there is building work happening, which is just never going to work. I think he will had his notice in this week.

Fantastic weekend with extended family making memories for us all which has been lovely and weíve vowed to do it more often.

Updated calendar with some events, safe to say between now and mid January itís bonkers
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Nov 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Finally our online bank have moved (ironically given they are only online) to putting our mortgage balance online with our banking Iím so happy itís silly. It now means I can overlay freely without logging on to pc and do on my phone. Plus I see the balance daily when I log on.

Small things
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 20th Nov 17, 8:57 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So, after 18months of starting this diary a quote arrived today that were happy with we just need to work out best plans to get it started as there is a chance we could do it in two phases. Personally if we can Iíd rather just jump in, weíve waited this long but we need to think of the bigger picture.

In traditional PF style, Iíve started a spreadsheet, now I have some numbers rather than guesstimates

Need to get window man out to quote for some more windows and two doors so we know all in price.

I finally feel like weíre making real progress. That combined with us almost finishing our room this week is good all round.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 3rd Dec 17, 10:51 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So we have a bedroom door that can close for the first time in 3 years - it really is the small things!

Electrician has let us down though, so we still don't have carpet as we want him to replace a light downstairs that he will need to access under the floorboards. Thinking about it heating man hasn't come round like he said he would either - oh well, that'll save some pennies with one less radiator

RL life has been brutal, can't wait until next week, hoping it will be a noticeable change when 2 projects are away. Good news is that I have a bonus from work Timing couldn't be better, just working out what to 'spend' it on, i.e. which savings pot for it to go to. Think a small amount will go in our holiday pot and the rest will go in the extension fund.

We're nearly done for Christmas, some food bought when on offer too and stashed. Nothing wrapped or any cards writing but have plans for tomorrow night on that front. Need a couple of gift cards, but may ask mum to get one for me as I don't really want to pay delivery and don't have a shop near me.

Payday this Friday and hoping to have a bit left over from last months pay to go to loan overpayment, which will be an added bonus.

Need to finish and submit my tax return too, have all the figures, just not pressed the button. Will do DH first, his is much easier!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Dec 17, 4:00 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning diaryland.... itís payday here and as I couldnít sleep I got up and did the money shuffle. Spreadsheets all updated bonus in and pots to top up have been decided. All is good. We even had money left from last month, so I paid an overpayment to the loan with it.

We have a couple of pressies left to buy, but that will come from present budget. Other than that weíre about done, some food stashed in the freezer and stores and just a few fresh items to buy. Nothing too excessive in the big scheme of things.

Happy with all our pot levels, still have decided whether to Ďwithdrawí from the bills fund as we havenít used one of the elements for nearly a year (touches wood) will wait until new year and see what winter brings.

RL busy as with most at this time of year, no exercise to be seen other than long walks. Must change that in new year. Need to think about 2018 goals and round up 2017.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 20th Dec 17, 6:46 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Another couple of weeks since I posted. RL hasnít really slowed down but can see a Ďglimmerí of light at the end of the tunnel. Only smalls presents left to wrap and weíve not gone mad at all with these, just a few small gifts. Will do them today whilst they are at school.

Weíve had the survey done for the windows yesterday, about 6 weeks for them to be made. They also quoted for windows and doors on the extension, so can add that in budget. Did a few other house jobs yesterday, tidying, sorting, calling people etc....

Need to pop to SM for 3 more things today that I couldnít get from a1di yesterday and them Iím done. Save some bread on Saturday as it seems that as 2 full time working parents of small children, we are the bets placed people in the family to make sandwiches for family get together on Christmas Eve. The retired in laws who are hosting tea obviously donít have time Iím so glad MIL sent through her list of required fillings

Weíre obviously hosting for we on Christmas Day too so just sitting around twiddling our thumbs

Have started 2018 to do list and will add to it as I go. Budget holding out and we have a stash of storecupbaord food we bought on DH discount before he finished his job. Iíll do a meat order for early jan when we have some room back in the freezer and weíll be set for a good few months other than fresh veg.

Iím going to start my £3.65 a day reducing by 1p savings again. Last year I managed to get to the year end total by September, letís see if I can beat it again this year

Right off to do some useful stuff before smalls get up. Purps.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Jan 18, 10:19 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So itís 2018 peeps,hope youíre going to have a good one. Christmas was a little stressful here I must admit, collision of various things. Lovely night at friends last night, no sore head this morning

Weíre going away for a few days from tomorrow, so we need to get packed for that, just some wet weather clothes, swim stuff and some food and weíll be away. All bought and paid for in advance so all good there.

We have freezers and store cupboards bursting with food so hoping we can do January very cheaply for food.

Weíve organised for Windows to be replaced so just waiting on a date, canít wait. Weíre thrilled with the way 2017 went financially, hoping more of the same in 2018. We currently have £255 of our original debt left to pay off, which will be gone at end of January

Iíd like that to be debt free but we bought a new to us car this year and had to borrow for that, so we do still have that to pay off. The good news is that weíve already paid 23% of it back in 10 months. That will increase now we will be putting extra to it from February, will be setting us a target for this year so that a minimal amount is left at the end of the year. Will be tidying the odds on our bank each day to loans pay down fund (aka LPDF)

Considering how much work we have had done on our house too, weíre very happy with our financial progress. Iíve got a decent pay rise from today too, which will help, albeit that DH has changed jobs and his earning will be a bit hit and miss to start with. Weíve already had a chat about being extra frugal though, so weíll be ok and when it evens out itíll be better all round.

I need to get on and start getting ready for tomorrow, have a good one peeps.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 7th Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So weíre back from our few days away and it was just what the doctor ordered spends weíre kept to a minimum and in reality we were quite frugal as we took all but 1 meal with us and most were meet from stores, so I canít complain. I have been researching some other breaks though, since weíve been back

Weíre back to school/work tomorrow, although Iím glad the meeting I had in tomorrow has been cancelled meaning I can WFH I do need to pop to town as itís dd birthday party on Saturday and I havenít organised party bags. I do have a plan though if I canít see anything in town. I donít do tat, so it may have to be plan b
    Today I did a small shop to get us through the week, which I did after meal planning. I also re wrote my freezer inventory so I now have an up to date list of what we have. Plan is to get this emptied as much as possible and keep food spends low for the foreseeable.

I plan to start the 5:2 Ďdietí this week, have been reading lots about it on my free kindle subscription and a book lent by a friend

Itís been bitterly cold here today, thankful for the heating and warm clothing.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 19th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Managed to do dd party bags for £1 per child she had a great time at her party and it was very reasonably priced.

Spends in January continue to be kept to a minimum which is always a must but more so as mr PF has started his new job and we are not sure how many hours he will be doing. This week was 4 full days so that!!!8217;s good. Freezer inventory working well and I!!!8217;ve been working through it so food spends have been low, which is good. Hoping this will continue long into Feb.

Just trying to settle in to our new working, school routine which will take a bit of getting used to. Planning on going away for a few days in Feb to see an aging relative and get away at the same time. She!!!8217;s wonderful company so it will be thoroughly enjoyable.

Off to meal plan for next week so I can do a small shop.

We now have a radiator in our bedroom which means as soon as lights are done, we can get carpet down progress at last and a warm bedroom to boot then we!!!8217;ll be on to the last room and hopefully the build can start for the extension, I!!!8217;m thinking maybe September. That!!!8217;ll give us time to do the other things we need to do first. Must chase man about window quote next week.

Stay warm folks, it!!!8217;s bitterly cold here x
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 21st Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Weíve decided to get one last quote from a 3rd builder. By chance our window man recommended someone to us this week. Will call tomorrow.

Low spends again this week, although price of food is alarming and seems to rise every time I go. Used a loyalty voucher at the wholesalers today, which is good and reduced bill.

Have done work lunches for DH for the week and got a slice of quiche and hm sausage roll from freezer for dd lunch tomorrow. Iíll be at home so will grab something here. Meal plan for week is doeable without much effort and will continue to make a dent in the freezer, I will do more the following week.

Snuggled under a blanket to keep warm. May have to do some work at some point to catch up.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 24th Jan 18, 12:00 AM
    • 7,267 Posts
    • 35,711 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Great to see how much you!!!8217;re achieving PF...very impressive So glad 2017 was good to you.. roll on 2018 for a similar triumph!!

Ps. Boo to unthinking older relations.. season of goodwill and all that....
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,071 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Lovely to *see* you Brizzle yes, Iíve big plans for 2018

Electrician has been round today, hopefully getting a sample and quote tomorrow
    Got quote for carpet today, sadly theyíve discontinued the one we wanted so will have to pick a different colour. Not world ending though in the scheme of things.
    New windows this week which are b-e-a-utiful. Sadly not the ones we ordered though so weíll have these on loan until they make the right ones.

Much work continues on mindfulness to keep healthy whilst I canít exercise loads. Super proud of mr PF who has ran a total of 50k already this year. This is huge for him and I admire his focus. That said weíve cancelled our gym membership, heís going to join one nearer home and I might do at some point but will make a saving in the meantime.

Weíve paid off our original debt this week too a 5 figure number gone forever as Iíve said before I could have cleared it a year or so ago but chose the scenic 0% route whilst building up an EF an redecorating 2 more rooms in the house.

We are not DF due to the car loan, but all funds now point to that and we have paid off over 25% in April months of having it. Again Iíve big plans for that this year.

I need to dig out my mortgage paperwork as I want to go to a broker a few months out to look for a deal so I donít have any time on svr and we get the extra for the extension ASAP. Iím thinking Iíll be contacting them in the next month or so as the deal runs out in mid August I think.

Lots going on but in a good way and the dawn of Feb feels like spring is but a small hop away.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 2nd Feb 18, 9:12 PM
    • 7,267 Posts
    • 35,711 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Like that..its a 'small hop' indeed..

Congratulations on all the plans. Keep sharing as we all love a goal (or three ) Sounds fab and that original debt is gone gone gone. Brilliant news. Also fab you're able to get exercising again. Makes a real difference x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

1,645Users online

Martin's Twitter