Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Oldpink
    • By Oldpink 31st Mar 16, 11:13 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Oldpink
    Stamp Duty Refund ???
    • 31st Mar 16, 11:13 PM
    Stamp Duty Refund ??? 31st Mar 16 at 11:13 PM
    Bought our house in April 2015. Just got a letter from 'Rawlinson & Hunter Chartered Accountants' saying that we overpaid the stamp duty on our purchase by about 50% because 'we would not have claimed a new tax rule that applies to a small number of properties.....'
    Sounds dodgy but offered on a 'no refund, no fee basis'.
    Deadline (surprise, surprise) of 8th May....

Can anyone shed any light or advice ?

All responses appreciated.......,
Page 2
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 6th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 18,825 Thanks
    mije1983
    Another new poster praising this company?! I'm shocked!

Too late for you to do anything to claim back the money, but magically this company could? Did they explain how they managed that? Or that the 12 month deadline is to amend errors and you actually have 4 years to claim back any 'overpayment'?

And rather than go back to your original solicitors who you paid to do the transaction for you, and get them to rectify their error at their cost, you decided to pay a 3rd party 33% of the refund? Why?

Madness? Or a mole?

• Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 6th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    I know this is an old post, but I thought I would reply to help others, as Ive just received a big cheque from HMRC and am going to happily pay my 33%+VAT to Rawlinson & Hunter for that share of the refund that they managed to get back, as I wasn't expecting to get any money back from our hefty stamp duty bill and as a law abiding tax payer I want to pay my fair dues.

However, it turns out under HMRC rules that the property I bought was different to normal properties due to its previous use and did qualify for a reduced rate. I'm annoyed that my original solicitors Stone Rowe Brewer LLP were not aware of the this reduced rate for the type of property I was buying and so I would not recommend using them again as they are not as switched onto all the rules that R&H clearly are.

In addition, I called HMRC and they said it was absolutely legitimate how they had claimed the refund on my behalf. If for some reason, this is revoked by HMRC, R&Hs Ts & Cs say they will refund the amount to me. However, I firmly believe I wont need to, as I had it clarified and confirmed by HMRC that I was fully entitled to that refund.

Finally, even I had found out about this unusual ruling/discounting later on I would have not been able to claim anything as it has to be within 12 months of the original transaction. So thank you HMRC & R&H, I can now get a new boiler and go on holiday with the money.
    Originally posted by overlanda
    Oh come on!

If you're going to get an employee to pose as a happy customer on an internet forum, and least make the post sound plausible! I'm not sure which part of this post I find most amusing! It's a 3 horse race between:

1. "so I would not recommend using them again as they are not as switched onto all the rules that R&H clearly are. "

2. "However, I firmly believe I wont need to, as I had it clarified and confirmed by HMRC that I was fully entitled to that refund. "

3. "thank you HMRC & R&H, I can now get a new boiler and go on holiday with the money."

Oh well, at least it provided me with some light entertainment!
    Last edited by Mahsroh; 06-03-2018 at 4:32 PM.
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 6th Mar 18, 4:34 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    Another new poster praising this company?! I'm shocked!
    Originally posted by mije1983
    You just gotta love that SPAM button.
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 6th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    jimbog
    spam............
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 6th Mar 18, 4:38 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    I see their latest spam post has now been removed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,714Posts Today

7,918Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin