Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 31st Mar 16, 12:09 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 44Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    New State Pension Guide
    • 31st Mar 16, 12:09 PM
    New State Pension Guide 31st Mar 16 at 12:09 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 23
    • DianaSt
    • By DianaSt 6th Feb 19, 6:03 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DianaSt
    I have just discovered that I can add extra years to my NI contribution record at no extra cost because of Specified Adult Childcare credits.

As a grandparent who regularly looks after grandchildren under 12 whilst my daughter is at work, I have been able to claim Class 3 NIC credits which will give me 3 added years post April 2016 (my state pension date is May 2019). I was contracted out whilst working and had the maximum number of qualifying years under the old scheme so could not improve my pre 2016 pension position. I took early retirement so had paid no contributions under the new post 2016 scheme. To pay for 3 years voluntary Class 3 contributions would have cost me over £2000. I estimate my pension will be boosted by about £60 per month gross.

I donít believe this scheme, which was introduced in 2011, is well publicised and there must be thousand stars of (mostly) women in my position who could claim these credits. These are also likely to be 1950s born women like me adversely affected by the accelerated changes to the womenís state pension age.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Feb 19, 6:33 AM
    • 34,803 Posts
    • 40,838 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Thanks for the reminder , I must do this as I was also contracted out .

Seems a simple enough form to fill out online, my details , child details , mother's details and periods of care
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 6th Feb 19, 8:26 AM
    • 6,828 Posts
    • 7,456 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    I donít believe this scheme, which was introduced in 2011, is well publicised
    Originally posted by DianaSt

It is mentioned quite frequently on this particular forum if and when it might be appropriate, but any reminder is useful!
    • lisboa84
    • By lisboa84 6th Feb 19, 11:31 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    lisboa84
    Just wondering, what proof does the HMRC require to show that a grandparent looks after a grandchild?

And what is the minimum number of hours per week of child caring needed to claim the credit?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 6th Feb 19, 12:31 PM
    • 20,533 Posts
    • 14,804 Thanks
    molerat
    Just wondering, what proof does the HMRC require to show that a grandparent looks after a grandchild?
    Originally posted by lisboa84
    None whatsoever, I suppose they could do checks if they really wanted to.
    And what is the minimum number of hours per week of child caring needed to claim the credit?
    Originally posted by lisboa84
    There is no minimum specified but it is, as is NI, credited as weeks so it should be claimed as weeks I suppose in a similar way to jury duty - 1 day will get a full week credit - but is wide open to abuse. I wonder how many claim the full 52 weeks per year - do the parents not get any holidays ? We were honest and MrsM claimed the actual 39 - 41 weeks each year.
    Last edited by molerat; 06-02-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 6th Feb 19, 3:09 PM
    • 6,828 Posts
    • 7,456 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    None whatsoever, I suppose they could do checks if they really wanted to.There is no minimum specified but it is, as is NI, credited as weeks so it should be claimed as weeks I suppose in a similar way to jury duty - 1 day will get a full week credit - but is wide open to abuse. I wonder how many claim the full 52 weeks per year - do the parents not get any holidays ? We were honest and MrsM claimed the actual 39 - 41 weeks each year.
    Originally posted by molerat
    This benefit is really just transferring the NI credits associated with the child benefit from a parent who is also earning those credits through employment and so doesn't need them.

If the parents are in a salaried job the chances are they are still getting paid for that job, and hence paying NI, even when on holiday. And if they're not, then it'll be their NI record that will show the shortfall if they've OK'd the transfer.
    • Suzannet
    • By Suzannet 7th Feb 19, 4:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Suzannet
    My Mum runs a pre-school. She is paid termly. She has earnt the minimum £6032 annually but because she doesn't earn anything in the month of August and is down in December and the Easter holidays she is not entitled to her year credit. She has to pay a top up. I feel this is not described in this write-up. It is calculate weekly and monthly NOT annually.
    How many people might take 6 weeks unpaid for a long holiday not realising they will lose an entire years credit. Mum has worked part time most of her life so needs these last year's to count. She is being penalised for being paid termly. If she was paid an even monthly she would be entitled.
    • relishy57
    • By relishy57 8th Feb 19, 8:06 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    relishy57
    Could your Mum not negotiate a monthly payment? I worked in a preschool for approx 3 years after early retirement as a teacher and got 12 monthly payments. Timesheets were done by the treasurer of the group and then the Preschool learning Alliance did the payroll, bank transfers etc.
    I didnít earn enough to pay NI only did 3 mornings per week so I will be claiming from April the Grandparents credits which I learnt about on this forum. (Thank you Molerat and others).
    I will have 3 years from 2016 to pay voluntarily though. Is the best advice still to pay up for all missing years just before SP age. I notice that 2016/17 goes up from April.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 8th Feb 19, 2:05 PM
    • 9,133 Posts
    • 2,309 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    My Mum runs a pre-school. She is paid termly. She has earnt the minimum £6032 annually but because she doesn't earn anything in the month of August and is down in December and the Easter holidays she is not entitled to her year credit. She has to pay a top up. I feel this is not described in this write-up. It is calculate weekly and monthly NOT annually.
    How many people might take 6 weeks unpaid for a long holiday not realising they will lose an entire years credit. Mum has worked part time most of her life so needs these last year's to count. She is being penalised for being paid termly. If she was paid an even monthly she would be entitled.
    Originally posted by Suzannet

I am in a similar position - working in a school for just 10 hours per week - my salary (around £4k is divided by 12 and I am paid the same every month - despite working only 37 weeks per year - However, my salary is not enough to pay any NI !!
    I recommend that she has a word with her paying dept - but it will cost them employer NI Contributions too !
    • Funseeker
    • By Funseeker 20th Feb 19, 3:08 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Funseeker
    Can I use class 2 to claim previous years
    I was working abroad from 1990 until I moved back to UK in 2010 and since then I have been paying NIC Class 2 each year and I won't reach full state pension by my retirement year, which is coming soon. According to the state pension website, until 5 April I can still buy 3 x years before 2010 using Class 3 (voluntary contributions) at £689 each, which seems worthwhile. However, is it possible to make contributions for these pre-2010 years as Class 2 (voluntary payment of earnings while self-employed abroad), as that would be a lower cost per year to claim the years?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 20th Feb 19, 3:16 PM
    • 20,533 Posts
    • 14,804 Thanks
    molerat
    I was working abroad from 1990 until I moved back to UK in 2010 and since then I have been paying NIC Class 2 each year and I won't reach full state pension by my retirement year, which is coming soon. According to the state pension website, until 5 April I can still buy 3 x years before 2010 using Class 3 (voluntary contributions) at £689 each, which seems worthwhile. However, is it possible to make contributions for these pre-2010 years as Class 2 (voluntary payment of earnings while self-employed abroad), as that would be a lower cost per year to claim the years?
    Originally posted by Funseeker
    If you were working before you left UK and were working abroad for those years then I see no reason why not. You need to contact FPC and query it with them.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Funseeker
    • By Funseeker 22nd Feb 19, 9:55 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Funseeker
    thanks for helpful reply!
    Thanks a lot, that's very helpful, I will try.
    • blue chelsea
    • By blue chelsea 16th Apr 19, 6:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    blue chelsea
    New State Pension Who to contact
    Do you know who I can speak to or email {FREE} for help with my state pension.
    I have been on the Gov UK site looking at my state pension.
    It states I need 35 qualifying National Insurance years to get the max £168.60 per week
    It shows I have 41 fully paid qualifying NI years but it shows I will only receive £163.30 per week.
    As I have now retired early {living off savings} it shows 2017/18 Shortfall Pay a voluntary contribution of £484.50 by 5 April 2024. This shortfall may increase after 5 April 2020.
    As I have 41 fully paid Ni qualifying years I cant see why I am not on the max and both Gov Pensions Helpline 0800 731 0181 and Gov NI have not been able to help basically saying speak to the other

I have been to citizens advice but their support was limited and apart from telling me to phone the pensions department again could not help.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 16th Apr 19, 7:08 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 2,343 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    It states I need 35 qualifying National Insurance years to get the max £168.60 per week
    The "35 years" rule doesn't apply to you and presume you are referring to a generic entry on gov.uk rather than your personal estimate.

You are under transitional rules which means you could need less than or more than 35 years.

You have probably been contracted out at some point so paid lower National Insurance but will likely have a company pension in addition to the State Pension.

There is a very good helpsheet explaining this on Royal London website
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 17th Apr 19, 10:19 AM
    • 10,606 Posts
    • 7,944 Thanks
    GunJack
    There is a very good helpsheet explaining this on Royal London website
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    Here you go...

https://www.royallondon.com/Global/documents/GoodWithYourMoney/TOPPING-UP-YOUR-STATE-PENSION-GUIDE.pdf
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Apr 19, 11:49 AM
    • 29,234 Posts
    • 17,757 Thanks
    xylophone
    As I have now retired early {living off savings}
    Are you indicating that you have no occupational/private pension or simply that you are choosing not to draw it?

41 years of contributions but not qualifying for a full new state pension indicates that at some point you were contracted out of additional state pension into a private or occupational scheme.

You can try the link above - have you yet been in contact with the Future Pensions Centre?

https://www.gov.uk/future-pension-centre
    • Lisanne
    • By Lisanne 17th Apr 19, 9:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lisanne
    NI credits for missing years.
    You can get these credits if you looked after grandchildren or other young family members
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,026Posts Today

7,170Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin