Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lebene
    • By Lebene 29th Mar 16, 10:15 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Lebene
    Party wall surveyor in Essex
    • 29th Mar 16, 10:15 PM
    Party wall surveyor in Essex 29th Mar 16 at 10:15 PM
    Hi there,

my mum insists on a party wall surveyor to deal with the neighbours, but I do not want to use these suspicious people who solicited us.

I would be so happy if anyone could recommend trustworthy PW surveyors who won't try to fleece our neighbours and won't try and turn on us/do dubious things.

Please don't tell me 'don't get a PW Surveyor', because it is not my choice and no one from the internet can convince my mum but I can at least get a reliable service.

My area is Barking and Dagenham so anyone who can reach us there.

And so you know, the neighbours never greeted themselves before they one day just rocked up at 8am and started loudly banging, drilling, sawin and clashing about every day. It was only until two weeks ago when I informed them that it is not allowed to continue work after 6pm or 1pm on saturdays that they stopped but yep, they were here over the bank holiday.

[They never served notice or informed us about their loft conversion/extension either. And the work they did caused considerable amount of debris to fall out of our chimney which makes us wonder if they have removed the chimney system without informing anyone as they must.]

We just want to make sure that their back extension will not cause issue to the structure of both our buildings, especially as the depth is quite large and not something we are happy with as it will overshadow our garden and we'll be boxed in.

Many thanks
    Last edited by Lebene; 29-03-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 29th Mar 16, 11:47 PM
    • 3,166 Posts
    • 1,846 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 29th Mar 16, 11:47 PM
    • 29th Mar 16, 11:47 PM
    You might be better off asking for or searching for surveyors in East London....Barking and Dagenham is not in Essex and hasn't been for half a century I'm afraid, it's a good 6-8 miles away from the Essex border.
    • Lebene
    • By Lebene 30th Mar 16, 12:11 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lebene
    • 30th Mar 16, 12:11 AM
    • 30th Mar 16, 12:11 AM
    Okay, I know that but my postal address is still Essex so that's why I include it. Also, it's very easy to get in on the A13 provided there is no traffic accident (good luck with that) I use my post code in most searches but it'd not the issue of seeing the companies, it's the issue of knowing if they are reliable or not.

I already know that I shouldn't go for companies that solicit your services.

I have found one chartered surveyor so far... otherwise it's been pretty dry. I want them to be close and not be stuck in traffic on the other side of London.

Thank you for the advice.
    Last edited by Lebene; 30-03-2016 at 12:15 AM.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 30th Mar 16, 8:50 AM
    • 12,535 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 30th Mar 16, 8:50 AM
    • 30th Mar 16, 8:50 AM
    Hi there,

my mum insists on a party wall surveyor to deal with the neighbours, but I do not want to use these suspicious people who solicited us.

Many thanks
    Originally posted by Lebene
    At least you know not to deal with these ambulance chasers.

It is your neighbours that should have employed the surveyor not you. The neighbour would have born all the costs. I guess you actually know that given your knowledge of PWSs.

Given what it's going to cost you I would take some legal advice, the legal advice line included in many household insurance policies is excellant for this.

If the neighbour won't foot the bill and they have done something wrong then you should still be able to claim the damages and the PWS costs if you do have to employ 1 yourself.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
    • Skylar34
    • By Skylar34 30th Mar 16, 3:31 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Skylar34
    • 30th Mar 16, 3:31 PM
    • 30th Mar 16, 3:31 PM
    Have a look on the federation of party wall surveyors website, there is a find a surveyor bit on there, put in your postcode and that will give you a list of surveyors nearby
    • Skylar34
    • By Skylar34 30th Mar 16, 3:34 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Skylar34
    • 30th Mar 16, 3:34 PM
    • 30th Mar 16, 3:34 PM
    Sorry I should have said faculty not federation
    • macman
    • By macman 30th Mar 16, 4:34 PM
    • 41,894 Posts
    • 17,379 Thanks
    macman
    • 30th Mar 16, 4:34 PM
    • 30th Mar 16, 4:34 PM
    Do they have planing permission for this extension, unless it's within permitted development?A PW surveyor cannot do anything to help you now the work has started, all you can do it take out a civil action and maybe get an injunction to cease the work if it is illegal or dangerous, so you need a solicitor, not a surveyor-and deep pockets.
    That has nothing to do with the size of the extension, which is purely a planning matter. If PP was applied for, the LA would have notified you by letter.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 30th Mar 16, 5:16 PM
    • 12,535 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 30th Mar 16, 5:16 PM
    • 30th Mar 16, 5:16 PM
    Do they have planing permission for this extension, unless it's within permitted development?A PW surveyor cannot do anything to help you now the work has started, all you can do it take out a civil action and maybe get an injunction to cease the work if it is illegal or dangerous, so you need a solicitor, not a surveyor-and deep pockets.
    That has nothing to do with the size of the extension, which is purely a planning matter. If PP was applied for, the LA would have notified you by letter.
    Originally posted by macman

I think planning or building regs must have been applied for, this is the way these ambulance chasers source their work, by trolling local authority websites.

An approach to the council would be my first step having thought further

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

• macman
    • By macman 31st Mar 16, 9:54 AM
    • 41,894 Posts
    • 17,379 Thanks
    macman
    • 31st Mar 16, 9:54 AM
    • 31st Mar 16, 9:54 AM
    The LA have no influence over potential breaches of the Party Wall Act, it's a purely civil dispute. They will only get involved if the work breaches Building Control regs.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 2nd Apr 16, 9:10 AM
    • 12,535 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    The LA have no influence over potential breaches of the Party Wall Act, it's a purely civil dispute. They will only get involved if the work breaches Building Control regs.
    Originally posted by macman
    No, you don't get what I'm saying. Call the council to find out what was applied for is the way to go, the poster doesn't seem clear on what was actually carried out.
    Agreed if there is a civil issue then the LA won't get involved, but you will have evidence of a breach,

• Lebene
    • By Lebene 18th Apr 16, 8:27 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lebene
    At least you know not to deal with these ambulance chasers.

It is your neighbours that should have employed the surveyor not you. The neighbour would have born all the costs. I guess you actually know that given your knowledge of PWSs.

Given what it's going to cost you I would take some legal advice, the legal advice line included in many household insurance policies is excellant for this.

If the neighbour won't foot the bill and they have done something wrong then you should still be able to claim the damages and the PWS costs if you do have to employ 1 yourself.
    Originally posted by cyclonebri1
    Our neighbours are Chinese and don't speak English)especially when they don't wanna know). Although I speak Mandarin, they are so oblivious that I finally found a trustworthy local PWS who will still do things as if the neighbours take on the cost. Also my Mandarin wasn't really prepped for talking about the PWA
    • JulesandTed
    • By JulesandTed 23rd Apr 16, 1:06 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JulesandTed
    I am also having nightmare with neighbours over this Party Wall Act. I am building and issued notices as instructed by my engineer - my neighbours ignoring them and can't find a surveyor willing to take on the dispute. I can't start my Biuild without the Party Walk Award and had to cancel my contractors twice already since November. Seems even though I'm stumping up all the cost and trying to do the right thing I have no legal right to start my build - please help !
    • JulesandTed
    • By JulesandTed 23rd Apr 16, 1:10 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JulesandTed
    Help! Party Wall Act
    Anyone else got any help with Party Wall Award? Seems there is a lot of vagueness about it all - any suggestions please? Had to cancel my contractors twice already and my neighbours playing delaying games. Help!
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 24th Apr 16, 5:41 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    Annie1960
    How about contacting the surveyor you used when your purchased your house? Even if they don't do party wall work themselves, they may be able to suggest someone reputable.

Or ask a local architect for a recommendation. My architect recommended a party wall surveyor when he did my planning drawings.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 26th Aug 17, 6:21 PM
    • 3,166 Posts
    • 1,846 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    We used these guys only cost 695.00 + VAT:

www.localpartywallsurveyors.com
    Originally posted by bildersfriend
    I suspect OP may have found somebody well over a year ago.
    • Lebene
    • By Lebene 8th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lebene
    I suspect OP may have found somebody well over a year ago.
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    I wish I saw this earlier, we had a horrible experience and now our party wall is ruined. We hear absolutely everything they do and our home now has no privacy. It's a great shame. We have to move.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,000Posts Today

6,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin