£170000 in 10 years

Comments

• Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Hi TH - it definitely looks as if you have got your MFW mojo back. I love the sound of your millionaire's challenge and will be watching and cheering you on.

It amazes me that you can keep your shopping budget so low, I really struggle to keep mine to £65 per week, do you include everything in that, such as toiletries and cleaning products or is it just food ? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The weather is lovely again here, so I hope you are making the most of it x
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi Busy Mee1.Thank you ,i am glad that i am feeling positive again i feel so much better. The millionaire challenge is exciting i have banked the £800 but still have 4 items left to double up costing £165 in total so hoping to turn that into £330 ,once i sell something i can buy something else so today i need to get them back up to the top on gumtrex .
    I dont know that i can help you much ,i think the main reason i keep it down low is due to the fact i find reduced items ,for example yesterday i popped into the local shop to send a parcel this is what i found -4 nectarines for 40 pence -4 oranges for 90 pence-a bag of new potatoes 25 pence -4 baking potatoes 40 pence -a bag of rocket 50 pence and a mince and onion pie 45 pence -i think it all added up to £2.95 .I allow myself £6.57 a day .The day before i was in a different shop where i found 3 large packs of mince for £1 each ,last night we had spaghetti bolognese with 20 pence spaghetti from Aldix and 35 pence passata from Aldix total cost for 3 was £1.55 i put the other 2 packs in the freezer .I also picked up 3 packets of bread at 20 pence each and they are now in the freezer .Tonight we will have the baked potatoes ,salad all reduced from various shops and a tin of tuna which i think was 44 pence from Aldix and some grated cheese .
    The thing is that i have lots of time on my hands to shop around which i do enjoy and i know which shops reduce at what times and where to look in the shops ,do you have time in your lunch break to have a little look in any small local shops or maybe after work on your way home ?That does include everything ,we have another small shop near to us which sells toilet rolls for 69 pence for 4 and they are really thick rolls so i buy 2 of those a week .I tend to buy Ecovex ,i live beside Waitrosx and i wait until they come on offer i always keep a couple of empty bottles then i pour half a bottle into each and top up with water and shake ,by the way i do the same with milk ,whole milk half milk ,half water ,but i do have plenty of time to do all these things and i treat it like a job /game therefore keeping it fun
    Its beautiful here again today ,we have been so lucky havent we ?I shall go out later for a nice walk .I hope that you are having a good day too.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Wow - you really have got this shopping lark down to a fine art. I have sort of trained myself to shop once a week, because I dont't really have time during the week and also to try and keeps costs down ( If I pop in for a loaf it can end up costing about £20 !). I can see that I am missing out on a lot of bargains though....I might try and make a trip to the bigger supermarkets in the late evening to have a look for bargains. I also try and plan food around the super 6 at Ald! and check out the weekend deals at LIdl ( I bought 6 packets of their deluxe sausages at 99p a pack last weekend for the BBQ) This weekend is luxury muesli and 2kg pots of yogurt I think. I also do things like splitting a large loaf into 3 before freezing ( cheaper than buying small loaves). I think I could do better if I shopped on my own, but I usually can't shake Mr Mee off as he likes supermarket shopping :rotfl:
  • try_harder
    HI Busy Mee1 .I saw a list somewhere that had all the large supermarkets on it and the times that they reduce items each day if i can find it again i will put it on here but late evenings area good time to try ,our local waitrose reduces some things between 3 and 4 and again about half an hour before closing .I buy the economy plain large yogurts for 45 p from Asdx and add my own fruit cheaper and healthier as no sugar either .My husband is quite good and prefers to stay in the car if allowed which hes not and sticks to the budget as long as he has some biscuits hes ok .
    Hope you have a good weekend.
  • try_harder
    Week 23 day one .All going well at the moment and the envelope Budgeting system is working well so far although it is still early days .One ebay sale and three very small amounts of interest means my make £10 a day is on track sadly no sales on the millionaire challenge ,my four items are still sitting here waiting to be sold and i must get them back up to the top of the page this weekend .
    It has been raining here but the birds are all singing so i am hopeful that the sun will come out soon and i am glad it rained during the night as we have planted more seeds ,carrots ,beetroot etc ,our new potatoes plants are looking really good and just waiting for the flowers to appear now ,i am hoping to pickup a small non glass greenhouse secondhand as i just love growing my own tomatoes .
  • try_harder
    Week 24 day one. Another week has just flown by i really must try harder to post every day .The envelope system has not worked very well mainly due to the fact that i keep forgetting to take the money out with me every day so i have given up and will go back to my usual method of paying by card,keeping the receipts and transferring to my book every evening .I did not make my £10 a day this week but sold one item on ebax and made some tiny bits of interest .Still no sales for my make a million challenge i will have to lower the prices soon ,i might not double up but should still make a profit at least enough to buy something fresh .
    Savings appear to be on target and i am hopeful that my husband will have enough overtime this month to take us from £12728 to £13000 ,we are on target for £1000 savings this month but have accountants to pay which will take a large chunk so £13000 looks achievable ,that will leave 6 months till the end of the year so the target will be to add another £6000 making £19000 saved by the end of the year ,what an amazing feeling that would be .
    Food spend still on track we didnt spend any money yesterday we used what was in the fridges and freezer so very pleased with that .Right well now off to look around the shops for bargains i hope everyone will have a good weekend
  • Busy_Mee1
    Good morning TH, I was just thinking about you and wondering how you are getting on. It sounds as if you are still making great progress. I wouldn't worry if the envelope system didn't work for you, I think everyone finds their own system to suit them.

You really are doing well with the savings and you will feel great once you get back over the £13k mark again.

Have a lovely weekend : )
  • try_harder
    Hi Busy Mee1 and thank you as always .Yes it will feel good to get back up to the £13000 mark again its just so frustrating trying to get above that mark and every month there seems to be something that needs to be paid that i havent accounted for .
    Thank you i hope that you will have a lovely ,peaceful weekend too and with a bit of luck and some sun you will be able to sit outside and enjoy your new garden furniture ,it is really hot here today ,i am looking forward to the day that i can buy some new furniture ,at the moment my garden is full of swings ,slides .bikes ,vegetables and lots and lots of plants so not much room for anything else .
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,879 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You'll get over the £13k mark, TH, it might just take longer than planned. I empathise with the frustration though!

I imagine that being able to double your money on each thing on the millionaire's challenge is going to become increasingly difficult.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    Thank you themadvix it seems to the magic number at the minute .
    Yes it is a problem but i am hoping that the occasional sales where i more than double my profit will make up for the shortfalls.
    Hope all is well with you ,i am going to try and catch up with diaries today .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure