Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • uk1
    • By uk1 26th Mar 16, 12:56 PM
    • 1,031Posts
    • 651Thanks
    uk1
    Santander 123 "Active Direct Debits"
    • 26th Mar 16, 12:56 PM
    Santander 123 "Active Direct Debits" 26th Mar 16 at 12:56 PM
    We currently have a joint Santander 123 account and I am planning to open up new individual 123 accounts for each of us and then fund them from a Halifax account with 500 monthly for each account.

I have a question about Active Direct Debits. The Santander site says:

Have at least 2 active Direct Debits. You'll get monthly cashback on selected household bills you pay by Direct Debit
    My question is what is meant by "active" and can they be annual DD's but if they are is interest only paid in the months that DD's are paid? Or must they effectively be monthly DD's?

Any help from any one who has done this appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff
Page 2
    • colsten
    • By colsten 27th Mar 16, 8:03 PM
    • 9,028 Posts
    • 7,806 Thanks
    colsten
    Do the bookies pay you as a refund on your Santander debit card? If so, then it doesn't count. If they pay into your Santander account any other way, then you can count it (unless there's another rule about gambling not counting).
    Originally posted by Eco Miser

A payment by Betfair, or any other bookie, is not normally a refund.

You can also ask Betfair for payment by bank transfer, which I believe they process as a BACS payment.
    • OldBeanz
    • By OldBeanz 28th Mar 16, 3:10 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    OldBeanz
    Thanks, that is exactly what we plan to do ....

Jeff
    Originally posted by uk1
    Yes you can do this. I am a Select customer through my wife and they advised me that my friend could. They broached the subject without me asking them.
    Paying the money internally stops the risk of one bank making a mistake or computer crashing and doing the transfer on the first of the month allows you to correct any problems within the month if something did go wrong.
    If you can become a Select customer then it is worth it as they appear to have employed staff who try and help you. 10 years ago discussing issues with Steve from downtown New Delhi was never fruitful.
    • Gandalf133
    • By Gandalf133 30th Mar 16, 6:09 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Gandalf133
    Apart from tesco where does the 42k at 3% come from thought I'd already exhausted them all
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 30th Mar 16, 6:41 PM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 8,028 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Apart from tesco where does the 42k at 3% come from thought I'd already exhausted them all
    Originally posted by Gandalf133
    How many Bank of Scotland Vantage accounts do you have?
    • colsten
    • By colsten 30th Mar 16, 7:19 PM
    • 9,028 Posts
    • 7,806 Thanks
    colsten
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5374614
    • JWhite
    • By JWhite 3rd Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    JWhite
    I have just found this thread after realising that the interest on my 123 Current Account had ceased 12 months ago ! After trying to find out why I realised that I had deleted very old DD's out of my 123 account which were dormant 12 months ago and didn't realise that this contributed to the conditions of the interest payable on the account.

My mistake has cost me 300 !! Though I have to say that they were all dormant DD's but obviously must have still registered as active on my account.

How can I rectify this by setting up DD's when there is nothing I am paying by DD at the moment ??
    • IanSt
    • By IanSt 4th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    IanSt
    How can I rectify this by setting up DD's when there is nothing I am paying by DD at the moment ??
    Originally posted by JWhite
    There is a thread on this site on possible means to generate monthly DDs. You're lucky in that yours only need to pay out on a yearly basis, so are you sure there's nothing available you could use. E.g. for santander we've setup our TV licence and car road tax to pay by direct debit.

The thread is here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5734632
    • JWhite
    • By JWhite 4th Jan 18, 12:33 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    JWhite
    There is a thread on this site on possible means to generate monthly DDs. You're lucky in that yours only need to pay out on a yearly basis, so are you sure there's nothing available you could use. E.g. for santander we've setup our TV licence and car road tax to pay by direct debit.

The thread is here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5734632
    Originally posted by IanSt
    When I checked I had left a BT direct debit set up although not active and I have set up a DD for Paypal so hopefully these may reinstate our interest payments
    • JWhite
    • By JWhite 5th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    JWhite
    By the way as I had deleted the DD's out of my account and lost my interest for 12 months, now I have set up 2 new DD's on my account do I have to complete a new application to receive my interest or do they re-instate it automatically as I do still have a 123 current account?
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 5th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    soulsaver
    By the way as I had deleted the DD's out of my account and lost my interest for 12 months, now I have set up 2 new DD's on my account do I have to complete a new application to receive my interest or do they re-instate it automatically as I do still have a 123 current account?
    If you comply with ALL the T&C requirements you get the rate the following month automatically.
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Mar 18, 7:01 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    J B
    I've just been bitten by the 'active' DD scenario ...

Swapped ISP from Plusnet to JLewis

Plusnet took the DD in early Feb
    Account closed in mid Feb and refund credited
    Unbeknown to me, Plusnet then cancelled the DD on 20th but as our cashback date was 25th, they wouldn't pay me.

I am trying to plead to their better judgement, but not making much progress at the moment.
    • JWhite
    • By JWhite 11th Mar 18, 9:27 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    JWhite
    You can still reinstate two DD's even if you are not using them like Paypal or council tax, any really and they will reinstate paying you your interest. I did after losing 12 months interest payments without realising I needed to keep two "live" DD's.
    • J B
    • By J B 12th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    J B
    You can still reinstate two DD's even if you are not using them like Paypal or council tax, any really and they will reinstate paying you your interest.
    Indeed, but sadly, they wont budge on giving me my 25+ interest just coz the DD wasn't active for 4 days
    • JWhite
    • By JWhite 12th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    JWhite
    Indeed, but sadly, they wont budge on giving me my 25+ interest just coz the DD wasn't active for 4 days
    Originally posted by J B
    I presume you mean that they won't give you the interest for just that one month? At least you will only lose 25 whereas I lost 300 !
    • spare one
    • By spare one 27th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    spare one
    Great 1 a year DD
    Takes about 45 seconds to set up. Only 1 a year (or 8 and a half pennies a month...).

https://pay.gocardless.com/AL0001KVER166M
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 27th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    ColdIron
    There have been many reports of these being cancelled, see the restrictions, for instance
    • deals in any way with payments to and from the same account or between multiple accounts held by or for the same beneficial owner;
    https://gocardless.com/downloads/legal/restricted-activities-list-v0417-1.pdf
    • spare one
    • By spare one 28th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    spare one
    Great 1 a year DD
    There have been many reports of these being cancelled, see the restrictions, for instance
    • deals in any way with payments to and from the same account or between multiple accounts held by or for the same beneficial owner;
    https://gocardless.com/downloads/legal/restricted-activities-list-v0417-1.pdf
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    That is why you can't set up your own account to pay DD to yourself. Its also not worth the effort of setting up an account just to save 1 a year (and its even less than that, because they deduct 20p charge). It takes hours to set up an account.

But that link is for a DD already set up to someone else's account (for 1 a year) Its perfectly legal, and takes literally seconds to sign up (if you click the link you'll see how short the form is).

It can also be used more than once, and counts as separate Direct Debits.
    Last edited by spare one; 30-03-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

2,511Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin