Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CharlieRabbit01
    • By CharlieRabbit01 24th Mar 16, 6:14 PM
    • 1,233Posts
    • 946Thanks
    CharlieRabbit01
    Mattress shopping
    • 24th Mar 16, 6:14 PM
    Mattress shopping 24th Mar 16 at 6:14 PM
    Hello

Can any recommend good value long lasting brands?

We bought our last one purely on price and its worn out quickly.

We have a 5-600 budget. With the Easter deals it seems to be a good time bag a good mattress at a good price.

We're going to try some out to check if we still want memory foam but I'm tempted by geltex or a combo Spring/foam.

Our main concern is not disturbing each other.

Some brands I've never heard of at our local independent store.

I know the big ones sealy, silent night and tempur.

Any recommendations?
Page 1
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 24th Mar 16, 10:10 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 24th Mar 16, 10:10 PM
    • 24th Mar 16, 10:10 PM
    I can't comment on memory foam but I have a silent night matress that was somewhere between 180 and 250 (I honestly can't remember) and it is still perfect 3 year down the line.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 24th Mar 16, 10:13 PM
    • 10,778 Posts
    • 9,655 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 24th Mar 16, 10:13 PM
    • 24th Mar 16, 10:13 PM
    http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/sleep/buy-our-bed.html
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 24th Mar 16, 10:36 PM
    • 3,425 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 24th Mar 16, 10:36 PM
    • 24th Mar 16, 10:36 PM
    I have a Sleepeezee memory foam over pocket springs. After 5 years, I'm still happy with it. They are available in a range of hardnesses. They aren't cheap, though.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 24th Mar 16, 10:49 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 24th Mar 16, 10:49 PM
    • 24th Mar 16, 10:49 PM
    I have a Sleepeezee memory foam over pocket springs. After 5 years, I'm still happy with it. They are available in a range of hardnesses. They aren't cheap, though.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    The Travelodge beds are made by Sleepeezee and are quite a bit cheaper than the Premier Inn and match your budget better. Not sure which bed is best though.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 25th Mar 16, 10:29 AM
    • 3,324 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 25th Mar 16, 10:29 AM
    • 25th Mar 16, 10:29 AM
    We bought our bed including mattress from here: http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/

Lots of great info on the site. You don't need to buy a "brand". You'll get 30 days to try it out which is better than spending 15 minutes on one in a shop.

We have the origin pocket 1500 with medium firmness.
    • spo2
    • By spo2 25th Mar 16, 11:47 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    spo2
    • 25th Mar 16, 11:47 AM
    • 25th Mar 16, 11:47 AM
    I would recommend sleeping a night on a memory foam mattress (if you can) before purchasing. I (and a lot of others I know) find them extremely hot and uncomfortable due to this heat.

We bought a pocket sprung one as there is a weight difference between my partner and me, and pocket sprung supports you is better than sprung if this is the case as it supports you individually and you are less likely to disturb each other.

We just got ours from Dreams, lay on loads until we decided on one, and you have a month to exchange after delivery if you find it doesn't suit. We were tempted by the latex ones, but didn't know enough about them to spend the money on one. Ours was 549 for a king size.
    • miffedatparkingcharge
    • By miffedatparkingcharge 25th Mar 16, 12:02 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    miffedatparkingcharge
    • 25th Mar 16, 12:02 PM
    • 25th Mar 16, 12:02 PM
    Just to add to the list:

I love my mattress, but it was on offer from our local bed shop. Although it is still good, it turns out it was a few inches shorter than my bed frame.

However, I bought a double for my 6'1 son from Happy beds shop on ebay. (be prepared, it was heavy getting it upstairs). Its great. I would happily use them again, and have the organic one starred for daughter. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by miffedatparkingcharge; 25-03-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    • aylesby
    • By aylesby 25th Mar 16, 2:25 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    aylesby
    • 25th Mar 16, 2:25 PM
    • 25th Mar 16, 2:25 PM
    Another vote for http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk Just ring them and talk. They will not try to up sell. I bought Artisan Naturals Medium for wife/ Firm for me in spring tension which does what we wanted.
    Their delivered to the bedroom but do not take the old one away.

If you want a budget bed check out the deep sleep range
    http://www.bedzrus.co.uk/deep-sleep-beds
    Last edited by aylesby; 25-03-2016 at 6:20 PM. Reason: edit
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 25th Mar 16, 2:58 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 6,262 Thanks
    kinger101
    OP123 has one you might like to buy;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5436327
    • moneysaver
    • By moneysaver 25th Mar 16, 3:15 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    moneysaver
    We had a memory foam mattress for about 10yrs, it served us well & very comfy. I have just bought a new one about 3mths ago from this company https://www.ergoflex.co.uk/ & it is even better than my old one. This one is less hot than our last one because of the way it is made.

Very quick delivery, no problems. It comes rolled & vacuum sealed.

Moneysaver
    • ManuelG
    • By ManuelG 25th Mar 16, 3:49 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    ManuelG
    I can't comment on memory foam but I have a silent night matress that was somewhere between 180 and 250 (I honestly can't remember) and it is still perfect 3 year down the line.
    Originally posted by phil24_7
    Yup have to say mine is fine too. Mattress (and bed) for 250 in an Argos 'sale'.

Although looking at the prices some others have paid here, I'm wondering if I'm slumming it
    • adandem
    • By adandem 25th Mar 16, 5:03 PM
    • 3,531 Posts
    • 4,769 Thanks
    adandem
    We have foam over pocket springs and would never have foam again tbh.
    It's very hot, it was a decent brand and is due to be changed but the foam seems to have lost its 'memory'.
    • hcb42
    • By hcb42 25th Mar 16, 5:08 PM
    • 5,818 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    hcb42
    John Lewis own brand are made by Hypnos. I got an 1800 pocket spring last year for about 700
    • nwc389
    • By nwc389 25th Mar 16, 6:54 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    nwc389
    Another vote for John Lewis own brand. We have a pocket sprung mattress from them that is just so comfortable and supportive.
    • scattygirl24
    • By scattygirl24 25th Mar 16, 10:29 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    scattygirl24
    Hey

We've spent the past week mattress shopping so thought I would reply. Me and partner like different mattresses so found it quite tough esp on a budget. We went to the dreams outlet store - tried ones we liked and actually found a combo latex, memory foam and pocket spring one that was so comfy but around 800. I had noted down the combination and found one for 301 on amazon with great reviews which is going to be delivered soon :-) Hope this helps :-)
    • nightofjoy
    • By nightofjoy 31st Mar 16, 7:57 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    nightofjoy
    We're looking for a mattress too. I've decided we need to go for pocket sprung, as I'm something of a thrasher during the night and the pocket springs mean less disruption for my other half during the night.

We really only have a budget of around 200, which puts us at cheapie end. We've seen the odd supermarket special for under that amount, and there's Argos, but there's a few more options on bedroomworld.co.uk website. I mean, we're not talking Silent Night quality, but at least there's a few to choose from, and the reviews of the products and the sellers seems positive enough.

rice_band:150_-_200.htm">http://www.bedroomworld.co.uk/f/Pocket_Sprung_Mattresses/products::bed_size:King_-_5ft:rice_band:150_-_200.htm

I wonder, could anyone take a look at let us know if any of the mattresses are known to be real pieces of crap? I think Sareer are the only company there certified by the nbf (bedfed)

Thanks.
    Last edited by nightofjoy; 31-03-2016 at 8:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add link... doh!
    • spo2
    • By spo2 1st Apr 16, 9:36 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    spo2
    We're looking for a mattress too. I've decided we need to go for pocket sprung, as I'm something of a thrasher during the night and the pocket springs mean less disruption for my other half during the night.

We really only have a budget of around 200, which puts us at cheapie end. We've seen the odd supermarket special for under that amount, and there's Argos, but there's a few more options on bedroomworld.co.uk website. I mean, we're not talking Silent Night quality, but at least there's a few to choose from, and the reviews of the products and the sellers seems positive enough.

rice_band:150_-_200.htm" target="_blank">http://www.bedroomworld.co.uk/f/Pocket_Sprung_Mattresses/products::bed_size:King_-_5ft:rice_band:150_-_200.htm

I wonder, could anyone take a look at let us know if any of the mattresses are known to be real pieces of crap? I think Sareer are the only company there certified by the nbf (bedfed)

Thanks.
    Originally posted by nightofjoy
    Have you tried Ikea? A friend of mine has an Ikea mattress and loves it. They have a pocket sprung for 200
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 2nd Apr 16, 11:30 AM
    • 10,778 Posts
    • 9,655 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    If shopping for a hynos mattress only, make sure your existing bedstead/base fits their spec

http://www.hypnosbeds.com/care/faqs.aspx
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Matracos
    • By Matracos 22nd Aug 16, 9:51 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Matracos
    Go for Tuft and Needle mattresses. Though they are sold only online, the company has received huge appriases from their customers, regarding the performance and support the mattress provided. It's the Tuft and Needle Mattress, that has received the highest rating online. It is because of their unique T&F formula, (fabric, foam, finishing and many more features. The foam used in T&N , is freshly poured and cut in the U.S. The mattress is completely designed and crafted in the U.S. it's perfect foam provides no tossing and no turning. You can sleep and wake up feeling refreshed, especially if you have back aches. There were many customer testimonials, where users have found great relief from back ache. It also fulfills your cost requirements.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,552Posts Today

8,438Users online

Martin's Twitter