Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The New Fat Scotland 'Thanks for all the Fish' Thread.

Comments

• .string.
    .string. Posts: 2,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Today's paper wasn't about independence.

Please don't insult us by making such transparently untrue statements.

Yes it was, it was all about independence: all constructed to pave the way for a second referendum, all aimed at the SNP obsession; intent and content, just cynical spin, convincing only to acolytes.

Independence / independent was mentioned 31 times.

Those that are not brainwashed are not so easily fooled.
    Union, not Disunion

I have a Right Wing and a Left Wing.
    It's the only way to fly straight.
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite

Is about all BBC Scotland and Scottish Labour party are good for these days. FOI requests. Is about all they ever do.

So do you think governments and public bodies should be transparent and issue legitimate information if requested in the correct way, regardless of who requested it?
    Should governments and public bodies be able to hide legitimate information from the press if they don't think the PR would suit them.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • .string.
    Post Truth Politics
    The nationalist game, of course, is nothing to do with Scotland’s economy and trade arrangements. It is about fostering a narrative of grievance where Conservatives at Westminster are seen to deny Scots their wishes.
    Union, not Disunion

• .string. wrote: »
    Please don't insult us by making such transparently untrue statements.

Yes it was, it was all about independence: all constructed to pave the way for a second referendum, all aimed at the SNP obsession; intent and content, just cynical spin, convincing only to acolytes.

Independence / independent was mentioned 31 times.

Those that are not brainwashed are not so easily fooled.
    You're getting very repetitive. This paper was about alternatives to independence in the wake of Brexit.Whatever happens with all this over the next few years there's going to have to be a reworking of the devolution settlement and yet another Scotland Act. May is of course free to refuse every single thing listed in yesterday's paper and probably will.

But Sturgeon doesn't speak for May or you. She speaks for me and people like me who live in Scotland who voted Remain. Most of which, even if a No voter in 2014, will welcome yesterday's announcement at the very least as an attempt to comply with our wishes. Meanwhile May dithers and dallies and the English electorate are rapidly losing trust going by recent polling asking if she's doing a good job.
    It all seems so stupid it makes me want to give up.
    But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid ?
  • Moto2 wrote: »
    So do you think governments and public bodies should be transparent and issue legitimate information if requested in the correct way, regardless of who requested it?
    Should governments and public bodies be able to hide legitimate information from the press if they don't think the PR would suit them.
    I have no problem whatsoever with FOI requests. Just pointing out that it's all pretty much what BBC Scotland and Scottish Labour ever do with their time these days.

They are going to deny Scotland's wishes though regarding Brexit. There's no getting away from that am afraid. However much you might wish it to it's a fact.

What do you propose the Scottish Govt should do incidentally ? Given the vote %'s in June ?
  • Moto2
    I have no problem whatsoever with FOI requests. Just pointing out that it's all pretty much what BBC Scotland and Scottish Labour ever do with their time these days.

I'm sure they do a great deal more than just FOI requests.

Isn't it the job of the press to probe and enquire to help hold governments to account. We're surely all very happy when they do that?
    And isn't it's the governments duty to respond within the time limits and fully without trying to avoid it or spend public money trying to avoid it.
    The Scottish government is woeful in this regard with it's attempts to gag the press.

We should have more FOI requests, not less
  • .string.
    Note to the unblinkered:

The trouble with Post Truth is that it is easily believed. It becomes an intellectual fanaticism beloved unquestionably by its users.

Such has been the fate of the SNP and it's followers for some time and it has reached it's peak in the publication of their Party Policy Document, Scotland's place in Europe.

That document is written to persuade Scottish Voters, previous "Yes" Voters and previous "No" Voters alike, that the EU is the best thing since sliced Sassenach, that the SNP have examined all options to keep that glittering prize and that the only way for Scotland to survive is to vote for separation from a permanent Tory Government.

The trouble is that it is written by the SNP for the SNP and while they may re-convince themselves with its fantasies, it is self evident blather to anyone not under the spell of Scottish Nationalism. It misses its target because the SNP have abandoned objectivity somewhere along the way.

"Scotland's place in Europe" will be read and accepted by the avid "Yes" and read and rejected by the avid "No". The remainder, who hold the balance of opinion, won't read it at all because it is so excruciatingly boring.

So how to combat that bit of self-deceptive spin?

One could take it to pieces bit by bit for example by pointing out valid scenarios which are not included, or (probably "and") taking a precedent from the way Cameron's largely unread agreement with the EU was denigrated as having no value, to dismiss "Scotland's place in Europe" for the muddled con job that it really is.

In the meantime the SNP, far from sentting the agenda on Brexit, has handed the initiative to Theresa May simply because they lack the ability to think out of their own little box.
    Union, not Disunion

• Moto2
    Do you think they've taken legal advice on it's viability?
    Note to the unblinkered:

The trouble with Post Truth is that it is easily believed. It becomes an intellectual fanaticism beloved unquestionably by its users.

Such has been the fate of the SNP and it's followers for some time and it has reached it's peak in the publication of their Party Policy Document, Scotland's place in Europe.

That document is written to persuade Scottish Voters, previous "Yes" Voters and previous "No" Voters alike, that the EU is the best thing since sliced Sassenach, that the SNP have examined all options to keep that glittering prize and that the only way for Scotland to survive is to vote for separation from a permanent Tory Government.

The trouble is that it is written by the SNP for the SNP and while they may re-convince themselves with its fantasies, it is self evident blather to anyone not under the spell of Scottish Nationalism. It misses its target because the SNP have abandoned objectivity somewhere along the way.

"Scotland's place in Europe" will be read and accepted by the avid "Yes" and read and rejected by the avid "No". The remainder, who hold the balance of opinion, won't read it at all because it is so excruciatingly boring.

So how to combat that bit of self-deceptive spin?

One could take it to pieces bit by bit for example by pointing out valid scenarios which are not included, or (probably "and") taking a precedent from the way Cameron's largely unread agreement with the EU was denigrated as having no value, to dismiss "Scotland's place in Europe" for the muddled con job that it really is.

In the meantime the SNP, far from sentting the agenda on Brexit, has handed the initiative to Theresa May simply because they lack the ability to think out of their own little box.

Quite, they think they're playing a blinder by publishing like this. I suspect it'll just allow experts to refute the SNP claims on possible outcomes. I expect embarrassing times ahead for Nicola, the SNP and indy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure