Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,158Posts
    • 21,983Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 521
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 15th Sep 18, 8:56 PM
    • 19,319 Posts
    • 19,872 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Ooo good point about getting advice on the Housing forum here (although I suspect WaS has been given more than 4 weeks' notice as I know she has been flat-hunting for a while). What a total !!!!!! about your health/Postural Tachycardia Syndrome though. As if you didn't have enough to contend with! All the very very best to you and WaSP.

(Thinking of Torry as well)

Squishes to all who need, or would like, them xxxx
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 16th Sep 18, 12:13 AM
    • 5,158 Posts
    • 21,983 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Thank you all! I should have been clearer, we were given the right timings for a Section 21, I meant there are now four weeks to go until it's up. I have put a holding deposit on a flat, the letting agent was showing me a different flat that couldn't even take a double bed so useless for us when I asked to see the one next door. It was perfect! The only problem is they weren't ready to let it, they had only just laid carpets and damp proofed the walls so they need to dry before they can decorate. It's a bit of a panic if it will be ready in 4 weeks as it still needs a new boiler too!

As far as my health goes it has an upside. I have lost 35 pounds in the last 3 months which I needed to do. Because my heart and muscles go into overtime when I'm active so does my metabolism so I burn far more calories in a 5 minute walk than most people. The doctor said my body responds to slow activity as if it is doing a heavy cardio workout, a lot of people with this struggle to keep weight on. I was pre-diabetic and no longer am and my high blood pressure is now a very healthy 117 over 75 when resting which is down purely to the weight loss. My cholesterol is also in the normal range again so in a strange way this syndrome is helping my health while messing it up at the same time, not that developing a chronic illness is the best way to fix weight related conditions!

The other good news is that I now know why I visibly shake, fight for breath and have palpitations when I walk and that it is harmless as long I stop immediately. I have lived with these symptoms for years, the only difference is it has a name now. If it hadn't become more severe (likely as a result of current stress and having to move a lot more because WaSp couldn't) I still wouldn't know what it was. It's a lot better than suspecting my heart or lungs were failing which I did worry about! All in all, it could be a lot worse! I am always the optimist.
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 16-09-2018 at 3:16 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 17th Sep 18, 10:37 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    Izadora
    WaS, best of luck with the move and I hope they get the flat ready in time for you. On the plus side, if they're laying carpets and decorating now, you know that it'll all be sparkly clean when you move in.
    IzHe and I get keys to a new (to us) place today and I'm going to be spending this evening trying to scour/steam a very grubby shower screen...
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 17th Sep 18, 12:23 PM
    • 8,907 Posts
    • 16,199 Thanks
    calleyw
    WaS,

Nice to hear from you.

Glad to hear about WaSp getting better. Any move is stressful but when you have other issues and little help. Shame you are not local to me as I would send AM round to give you hand. 6ft 2 and 19 stone he would be able to shift most things for you

Take plenty of care of yourself.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 18th Sep 18, 3:26 AM
    • 5,158 Posts
    • 21,983 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Good luck Iz. hope the new place is lovely!

Aw, thank you Calley. WaSp and I could both do with AM!

Thank you for the support! I saw my doctor today and although he can't make the cardiologist referral because by the time it comes through I will have moved out of the catchment area he did give me a booklet on Postural Tachycardia Syndrome.

As I was told at A&E I am to carefully pace activities, rest the day before and rest for 2 days afterwards. The problem is the first day after is supposed to be horizontal because then my heart rate is completely normal. When I lie in bed my mind drifts and I think too much, thinking for me leads to voices and bad thoughts. So a fun little exercise I would like some help with please-what can I do whilst being in bed for a day to keep me occupied?

Things like TV, books and music are out because they are psychosis triggers. I can use the laptop for a while and colour my lovely adult colouring books, can anyone else think of pleasant things to do while staying as flat as possible?

• seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 18th Sep 18, 6:23 AM
    • 31,438 Posts
    • 60,519 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Good luck Iz. hope the new place is lovely!

Aw, thank you Calley. WaSp and I could both do with AM!

Thank you for the support! I saw my doctor today and although he can't make the cardiologist referral because by the time it comes through I will have moved out of the catchment area he did give me a booklet on Postural Tachycardia Syndrome.

As I was told at A&E I am to carefully pace activities, rest the day before and rest for 2 days afterwards. The problem is the first day after is supposed to be horizontal because then my heart rate is completely normal. When I lie in bed my mind drifts and I think too much, thinking for me leads to voices and bad thoughts. So a fun little exercise I would like some help with please-what can I do whilst being in bed for a day to keep me occupied?

Things like TV, books and music are out because they are psychosis triggers. I can use the laptop for a while and colour my lovely adult colouring books, can anyone else think of pleasant things to do while staying as flat as possible?
    Originally posted by Waves and Smiles
    Puzzle books?

(Hi all!)
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 18th Sep 18, 9:35 AM
    • 8,907 Posts
    • 16,199 Thanks
    calleyw
    WaS,

Thats ok I lend AM out for moving heavy stuff

Can only think of the usual puzzle books, cross words. Enter competitions, write your life story (dragon software is good to save typing)

Yours

Calley x

• dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 18th Sep 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    WaS do you knit or crochet? If not there are some great videos teaching you on YouTube. Also doing jigsaws on a tray in bed is an option.
    • Solarjunkie
    • By Solarjunkie 18th Sep 18, 9:52 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Solarjunkie
    Patience on the laptop? I use goodsol.com which is free and gives you instructions for hundreds of games, which take from no mental effort to a great deal, from ones which complete 99% of the time to the one I'm hooked on, called Pigtail, which I complete 1% of the time! But I always play a couple of games before bed, the cards never blow on the floor, and I can restart the game with the same deal if I wish. I also play when I am on hold, I have my phone in one hand and the mouse in the other, I tend to be in a better mood when they do finally answer!
    You'll give "laid back" a whole new meaning!
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 18th Sep 18, 4:18 PM
    • 17,278 Posts
    • 45,508 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    bullet pointing because it would just be a jumbled mess otherwise

-started feeling up 3 weeks ago
    -got fixated on losing weight, cut out everything lose 7lbs in one week, felt amazing, slacked a bit at Swains on holiday and only lost a 1lb going to see of i can replicate first weeks weight loss again this week
    -not sleeping, averaging about 4/5 hours a night last night i didn;t sleep at all and i feel high as a kite
    -fully felt like i was losing my mind on wednesday, saw GP, explained how i've had loads of energy, not sleeping, impulsive, want to gamble, left my shop to move to another, think i'm being followed by DWP and all he told me was to sleep and come back in a month.
    -annoyed by GP, i didnt even realise i was "up" until he told me, then he told me i have "really good insight", if that was true 1)i;d have recognised the warning signs and 2)i'd know what to do but i didn;t and i dont. i know what the depression is and i know what to do in a crisis but i dnt even know if you can have a manic crisis or what youre supposed to do if you do
    -weighed myself on wednesday and the scales were lying so i took and hour round trip mission of truth to weigh myself on my usual scales
    -have major complusion to buy a 10 scratchcard but i need to go to another city to buy it in case i win the jackpot cos if i buy it here and win someone might found out its me
    -overwhelming obsession to lock doors. have to check and recheck as i dont feel i can relax if any doors are unlocked, scared someone will rob me/attack me
    -feeling very on edge over MSE, need to delete all my posts but dont know how
    - want to drink, logic dictates alcohol is a depressent so if im up it should level me out, cotemplating going to a bar full of strangers and befriending them
    -start at my new shop tomorrow and i'm panicking and feel really anxious
    -have felt really irritated by everyone and everything, everyone just seems so down and glum and everything is bright and colourful and i dont get why they are trying to drag me down
    -i can't remember if i've taken my meds

I emailed MIND and they gace me a single point of access number that should conect me to the mental health team but whats the !!!!ing point nobody ever does anything, i just need to sleep appparently.

i'm an 8 right now
    Last edited by xXMessedUpXx; 18-09-2018 at 4:40 PM.
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    "I just need to be alone right now, i just wanna take a little breather"
    • annandale
    • By annandale 18th Sep 18, 4:56 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 2,833 Thanks
    annandale
    It sounds like you haven't taken your meds. Very much so. Please take them. For your sake. I know GPs can be useless but the meds will hopefully stop you feeling like this.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 18th Sep 18, 5:12 PM
    • 8,907 Posts
    • 16,199 Thanks
    calleyw
    MU,

You are cycling in to a high. Please take your meds and talk to Swain asap. He needs to know you are struggling.

Massive hug and squishes

Yours

Calley x

• xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 18th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    • 17,278 Posts
    • 45,508 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    MU,

You are cycling in to a high. Please take your meds and talk to Swain asap. He needs to know you are struggling.

Massive hug and squishes

Yours

Calley x
    Originally posted by calleyw
    Can't talk to Swain, about half an hour ago he told me he nearly died at work today, told me he'd choked on his food and someone had to do the heimlich manouver on him. feeling !!!! cos i had a great uncle by the same name who died by choking at the same age. so avoiding Swain right now because im upset i nearly lost him and he understandby doesn't want to talk about it.

i feel i should call the mental health team. but im scared they will do nothing and scared they might do something like try and section me
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    • annandale
    • By annandale 18th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 2,833 Thanks
    annandale
    They won’t section you for being in crisis. Please take your meds and call someone if you need support.
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 18th Sep 18, 7:07 PM
    • 17,278 Posts
    • 45,508 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Need to call them. panicking. what do i say? just everything. im scared. im giving it half an hour then im calling them. need to. cant keep going like this. i'll just crash. i'll take my meds. they've done nothing the past few days though. even though im on the highest dose of mood stabiliser. definetly took it last night and didnt sleep at all. thats not supposed to happen. so im panicking
    • geminilady
    • By geminilady 18th Sep 18, 7:11 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 7,377 Thanks
    geminilady
    MU I agree they won't section you but you definitely need some help.Sorry this has happened when you are due to start a new job.Please ring them.Also a weight loss of 7lb is is very bad for you unless you are twenty stone plus about two pound a week is what you should aim for.
    • geminilady
    • By geminilady 18th Sep 18, 7:14 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 7,377 Thanks
    geminilady
    Try not to panic they can fix this,just tell them you feel out of control and think you are heading for a manic episode tell them what you have posted here ((((hug))))
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 18th Sep 18, 7:26 PM
    • 17,278 Posts
    • 45,508 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Try not to panic they can fix this,just tell them you feel out of control and think you are heading for a manic episode tell them what you have posted here ((((hug))))
    Originally posted by geminilady
    i tried ringing them. got through to an answerphone left my details. gonna ring back in an hour. maybe call 111. . looked at all the mental health helplines and they are shut except SANE but i can;t get though. im really trying to get help right now but i feel like theres none out there
    • geminilady
    • By geminilady 18th Sep 18, 7:36 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 7,377 Thanks
    geminilady
    Well I would have thought the mental health team would be always on call so maybe they will get back to you soon,if not maybe 101 will point you in the right direction.
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 18th Sep 18, 8:09 PM
    • 17,278 Posts
    • 45,508 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    it !!!!ses me off so much. everyone tells you to seek help, that there is help out there . its !!!!!!!!.

Because i went to my gp, he told me to sleep and come back in a month, today i called the mental health team, it went to answerphone. I tied to call Mind and Rethink but they shut at 4pm. I tried ringing Saneline, and couldn't get through; I tried calling Samaritans, and i couldn;t get through. And out of sheer !!!!ing desperation ended up calling nhs 111. On the plus side someone is calling me back...in the next 4 hours.

where is the help?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

3,511Users online

Martin's Twitter