Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,140Posts
    • 21,819Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread !!!8220;Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2!!!8221;. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 512
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Jul 18, 1:23 PM
    • 36,566 Posts
    • 135,288 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Tamsin, you are doing what you can.
    You are sensitive to her mood and her body language, and not just steaming in with the big guns, which is great.

It may sound trite, but ensuring she gets good food, and drinks enough water etc., will help too, as that will help the brain too.

Have you read about the effects of gut probiotics on brain function? It's very interesting. I believe it can help with mood and some mental illness too, believe it or not.
    Obviously, it's not a short-term thing, but might be worth looking into.

I have been taking good probiotics for a couple of years, and more recently have started drinking kefir water (not the milk-based one, which I didn't like).

I'm sure you've looked into it, but it is worth noting the side effects associated with the medications she is taking. Sometimes they are surprising.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 6th Jul 18, 12:17 AM
    • 17,149 Posts
    • 45,115 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    So....i lasted 4 hours at work.Got to the point where i felt unsteady on my feet, spaced out and couldnt understand what customers were saying so got sent home early. Have taken the decision to call in sick tomorrow and saturday whilst my body and brain adjust to the medication and side effects.Feel like such a failure but i just couldn't cope with feeling so bad. probably going to get a disciplnery when i get back. Bu i'll just have to deal with it. Going to Swains tomorrow for some love and much needed TLC.
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    "I just need to be alone right now, i just wanna take a little breather"
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Jul 18, 6:45 AM
    • 36,566 Posts
    • 135,288 Thanks
    Pyxis
    You'll be ok, MessedUp. You've had blips before and come through them, and your work are very understanding and supportive, I believe.

Just one thing that does concern me a bit, though. Am I right in thinking that these blips seem to occur when you run out of your meds, or decide not to take some for some reason?

Correct me if I'm wrong.....I think you mentioned running out in your post. That worries me bit. I am wondering why you might run out?

Is there any way that that could be remedied? I know from experience that it is easy to forget these things, especially when busy, and when you are very 'up' it's so easy to think that the meds might not be important or needed, and so it lapses.

And then the 'downs' come.

I don't know what your current system of repeat prescription is like, but it might be worth discussing with your pharmacist if there is a better system for you, so that you don't begin skipping doses?

Whatt do you currently do about repeats?

Hugs to Torry and Tamsin.

Last edited by Pyxis; 06-07-2018 at 6:55 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 6th Jul 18, 10:53 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Tamsin, you are doing what you can.
    You are sensitive to her mood and her body language, and not just steaming in with the big guns, which is great.

It may sound trite, but ensuring she gets good food, and drinks enough water etc., will help too, as that will help the brain too.

Have you read about the effects of gut probiotics on brain function? It's very interesting. I believe it can help with mood and some mental illness too, believe it or not.
    Obviously, it's not a short-term thing, but might be worth looking into.

I have been taking good probiotics for a couple of years, and more recently have started drinking kefir water (not the milk-based one, which I didn't like).

I'm sure you've looked into it, but it is worth noting the side effects associated with the medications she is taking. Sometimes they are surprising.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    She is vegan, and therefore cooks for herself rather than eating rubbish ready meals. She seems to have it cracked. I think she eats well and often enough - she doesn't clean up after herself well when depressed but that's another issue.

I've tried buying her vitamins etc but she won't take them - I've given up now as it was costing me a fortune. I will try suggesting kefir water but I won't hold my breath.

I have read about the gut brain connection and it is indeed very interesting.

Many thanks for your help.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 6th Jul 18, 11:00 AM
    • 17,207 Posts
    • 26,684 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    I feel dreadful today. I woke early with thumping headache and my stomach is in knots. Cue lots more crying. A year ago today was the last normal day.

I want him back so much it hurts all over.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Lambyr
    • By Lambyr 6th Jul 18, 1:15 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Lambyr
    Hi, Torry. Sorry to hear you're struggling. I don't drop in much but I have been thinking about you.
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 36,566 Posts
    • 135,288 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Hi, Torry. Sorry to hear you're struggling. I don't drop in much but I have been thinking about you.
    Originally posted by Lambyr
    Hello Lambyr! How are you?

How's the job going and everything?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Jul 18, 1:23 PM
    • 36,566 Posts
    • 135,288 Thanks
    Pyxis
    She is vegan, and therefore cooks for herself rather than eating rubbish ready meals. She seems to have it cracked. I think she eats well and often enough - she doesn't clean up after herself well when depressed but that's another issue.

I've tried buying her vitamins etc but she won't take them - I've given up now as it was costing me a fortune. I will try suggesting kefir water but I won't hold my breath.

I have read about the gut brain connection and it is indeed very interesting.

Many thanks for your help.
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    WaS might be able to give you more of an insight than me. I don't know if she's up to posting at the moment, though.
    WaS if you're there, thinking of you and WaSp.

I feel dreadful today. I woke early with thumping headache and my stomach is in knots. Cue lots more crying. A year ago today was the last normal day.

I want him back so much it hurts all over.
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Lambyr
    • By Lambyr 6th Jul 18, 1:43 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Lambyr
    Hello Lambyr! How are you?

How's the job going and everything?

I'm okay, although this year has had various challenges I could do without - and I could also do without this heat right now.

Job is mostly going alright, though I could have a big long rant about something. I won't, though.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 36,566 Posts
    • 135,288 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I'm okay, although this year has had various challenges I could do without - and I could also do without this heat right now.

Job is mostly going alright, though I could have a big long rant about something. I won't, though.
    Oh go on! I love a good rant!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Lambyr
    • By Lambyr 6th Jul 18, 4:51 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Lambyr
    Oh go on! I love a good rant!

Haha! Ah, this is better not posted to a public forum.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Jul 18, 4:54 PM
    • 36,566 Posts
    • 135,288 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Haha! Ah, this is better not posted to a public forum.
    Spoilsport!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 7th Jul 18, 10:07 AM
    • 17,207 Posts
    • 26,684 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Last night was absolutely awful. I'd been out to the cinema with friends but as soon as I got home became totally distraught. I was sobbing and screaming for hours until I eventually fell into a fitful sleep at about 3am. Woke up several times.

Today I'm totally exhausted and my head aches. I just keep repeating in my head being told there was something wrong.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th Jul 18, 11:14 AM
    • 36,566 Posts
    • 135,288 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Last night was absolutely awful. I'd been out to the cinema with friends but as soon as I got home became totally distraught. I was sobbing and screaming for hours until I eventually fell into a fitful sleep at about 3am. Woke up several times.

Today I'm totally exhausted and my head aches. I just keep repeating in my head being told there was something wrong.

(((((((((((Torry))))))))))))
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 9th Jul 18, 11:05 PM
    • 17,207 Posts
    • 26,684 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Nothing changes. More official post to deal with so that's another phone call tomorrow. Someone said to me surely I was feeling better and was surprised when I said I wasn't.

I'm getting further away from him and it hurts so much, I can't leave him behind. I'm crying again.

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Jul 18, 8:06 AM
    • 36,566 Posts
    • 135,288 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Nothing changes. More official post to deal with so that's another phone call tomorrow. Someone said to me surely I was feeling better and was surprised when I said I wasn't.

I'm getting further away from him and it hurts so much, I can't leave him behind. I'm crying again.
    Whoever said that to you was very crass.

Don't take any notice, and don't feel guilty for your grief.

People feel helpless when they can't do anything to alleviate your pain, and subconsciously want grievers to be 'back to normal' so that they don't have to worry about it so much any more, iyswim.

Don't you worry about them, and don't hide your feelings to save other people's.

(((((((((((((Torry)))))))))))))))
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• mellymoo74
    • By mellymoo74 10th Jul 18, 4:01 PM
    • 5,773 Posts
    • 13,218 Thanks
    mellymoo74

They were very tactless
    It takes as long as it takes I will be 12 years without my dad who is the only reason I am able to function and it still hurts. I have grown a callous so can think of him and smile but still have days where I cry.
    All I can say is that you are in my thoughts xxxxxxxx
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 10th Jul 18, 9:24 PM
    • 10,213 Posts
    • 18,177 Thanks
    Sleazy
    They were very tactless
    It takes as long as it takes I will be 12 years without my dad who is the only reason I am able to function and it still hurts. I have grown a callous so can think of him and smile but still have days where I cry.
    All I can say is that you are in my thoughts xxxxxxxx
    Originally posted by mellymoo74
    Appreciate what you're saying.
    My dad has been dead 21 years now, and I think about him more now than then.

At the time, I 'just got on with stuff'. Seems naff, but I always wanted him to outlive my mum as he'd had such a tough life. I do love my mum btw, and try to speak to her every day - she's 91. My dad would have been 93.

I wish that I'd been nicer to him, appreciated him more, listened more. But that's life, and what's gone is gone. If it's God's wish that I ever see him again, I hope that I'll appreciate him more and what he tried to do for me.
    Cur Sleazy, Faffer of Ntre Forum
    Lurker, Rattler Of Cages, Puller Of Both Legs And Chains
    Certified Member Of The Clique Of Idiots
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 12th Jul 18, 12:08 AM
    • 17,149 Posts
    • 45,115 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    *edited for privacy*

Someone i dont like is looking like they will get promoted, really dont get along with the and thinking of tramsferring to another shop if they get the job
    Last edited by xXMessedUpXx; 12-07-2018 at 7:41 AM.
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 13th Jul 18, 12:17 AM
    • 17,149 Posts
    • 45,115 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    After giving it some thought, i'm possibly jumping the gun a bit, one she hasn;t even got the job yet and two even if she does get it shes under 18 sso won;t be on closes with me. I'm going to try and be the bigger person and give her a chance. I'll see how it goes. If it ends up being a nightmare i'll have another think over my options.

Had my antidepressent increased last week, felt very rough for the first few days but the side effects have thankfully subsided and im back at work. Hopefully it lifts the depression. Got given the details for local IAPT services, thinkingg of trying to get 1:1 treatment. Has anyone else used IAPT (improving access to psychologial therapies) before? Did it help? Was it any good?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,893Posts Today

8,929Users online

Martin's Twitter