Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,131Posts
    • 21,756Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread !!!8220;Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2!!!8221;. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 503
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 4th May 18, 10:57 PM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,609 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    cally, there was a time when people sometimes fell between the tube and the platform. Most of them, though, were people who mistook the gap between carriages for a door (usually when intoxicated). The tubes were actually redesigned to stop this happening! Falling down the 'mind the gap' is EXTREMELY RARE, even with loads of people travelling in rush hour and being drunk sometimes. I've only ever heard of it happening once, in fact. And if you think of the millions of journeys that happen every day it shows that this was a real fluke!!!!!!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 7th May 18, 2:51 PM
    • 1,801 Posts
    • 9,361 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    The house behind us has had building work going on for over a year. Last week on the first sunny day I went to hang the washing outside and they started cutting paving slabs. I tried to be nice and ask how long thy would be doing it and he said all day, so I was totally cool and said fine I will hang inside.
    Today they are at it again, I spoke to him and he said a couple of hours, so I mentioned it was a bank holiday and he shouldn't be here at all. He said he knew but he had broken a step and wanted to fix it blah blah then walked off. I was fuming but DH said let's go out for a couple of hours and they will be finished. We got back and still it goes on. It got to 4 hrs so I texted the owner (she doesn't live there) a polite text and then I sit here in dread regretting "causing a fuss" she has just replied as I type this, saying sorry and she has asked them to stop. A nice message and I sent one back thanking her, but inside I'm in knots and shaking.
    I see these builders every bloody day and I try to be nice but people still seem crap towards me. I don't know if you are better being an angry aggressive person, maybe they back down then instead of walking over you?

I want to hang my washing out side but the dryer is about 10 ft away from then and I don't want to see them. I wish I was more ballsy.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th May 18, 3:58 PM
    • 34,841 Posts
    • 129,353 Thanks
    Pyxis
    The house behind us has had building work going on for over a year. Last week on the first sunny day I went to hang the washing outside and they started cutting paving slabs. I tried to be nice and ask how long thy would be doing it and he said all day, so I was totally cool and said fine I will hang inside.
    Today they are at it again, I spoke to him and he said a couple of hours, so I mentioned it was a bank holiday and he shouldn't be here at all. He said he knew but he had broken a step and wanted to fix it blah blah then walked off. I was fuming but DH said let's go out for a couple of hours and they will be finished. We got back and still it goes on. It got to 4 hrs so I texted the owner (she doesn't live there) a polite text and then I sit here in dread regretting "causing a fuss" she has just replied as I type this, saying sorry and she has asked them to stop. A nice message and I sent one back thanking her, but inside I'm in knots and shaking.
    I see these builders every bloody day and I try to be nice but people still seem crap towards me. I don't know if you are better being an angry aggressive person, maybe they back down then instead of walking over you?

I want to hang my washing out side but the dryer is about 10 ft away from then and I don't want to see them. I wish I was more ballsy.
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    Any confrontation, even mild ones, are still horrible, so don't worry. It sounds like the way you handled it was perfect.

You were reasonable, and understanding, but it got to the point when enough was enough, especially as it is a Bank Holiday with lovely weather.

It's much better than being aggressive............ that may get short-term results, but it wouldn't bode well for your future relationship with the owner, and you never know when you might need a builder willing to work over a Bank Holiday weekend!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 7th May 18, 5:01 PM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,609 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Oh Pyxis, you are always so wise! Seriously, it's good just to read a balanced view when I get worked up about things on behalf of other people! xxx
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th May 18, 5:54 PM
    • 34,841 Posts
    • 129,353 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Oh Pyxis, you are always so wise! Seriously, it's good just to read a balanced view when I get worked up about things on behalf of other people! xxx
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician

Perhaps I should change my avatar to this.............

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 7th May 18, 6:22 PM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,609 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    (Or one of the ones from https://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/hungover-owls-1srx?utm_term=.txX33qLB1#.kvEllOGxL ?)

Ooops. That link isn't working too well for me. Try https://www.sadanduseless.com/terribly-hungover-owls/
    NOT implying you are sad and useless - that's the site!
    Last edited by jobbingmusician; 07-05-2018 at 6:25 PM.

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 34,841 Posts
    • 129,353 Thanks
    Pyxis
    (Or one of the ones from https://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/hungover-owls-1srx?utm_term=.txX33qLB1#.kvEllOGxL ?)

Ooops. That link isn't working too well for me. Try https://www.sadanduseless.com/terribly-hungover-owls/
    NOT implying you are sad and useless - that's the site!

I'll have you know I'm not hungover either!

I did Dry January, and then never started again!
    Not saying I'll never have another drink, I'm sure I will, but I don't like drinking when I'm with other people, as I don't like the way it makes me feel, and drinking at home was getting a bit out of control before Christmas, so when I saw the Dry January thing, that was the boost I needed!

After a lot of searching, I have just recently found a nice 'alcohol substitute'.
    It's a mixture of Waitrose Ginger Shots and grapefruit Kefir water. The latter has just a bit of fizz....... I realised that that it was the buzz on the tongue that I missed, rather than the actual alcohol, but up until now, the alternatives, even with tonic water with the ginger shots, involved involved either loads of sugar or ghastly sweeteners.

Kefir water doesn't have any; it is 7kcals/100ml, plus it contains lots of lovely helpful bacteria for your gut!

And as I'm back on the 5:2, that's important.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• elsien
    • By elsien 7th May 18, 6:55 PM
    • 16,366 Posts
    • 41,367 Thanks
    elsien
    Time for a scenic Gitdog, given how lovely the weather has been this weekend.

Hope all are well/hanging on in there.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th May 18, 7:01 PM
    • 34,841 Posts
    • 129,353 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Time for a scenic Gitdog, given how lovely the weather has been this weekend.

Hope all are well/hanging on in there.
    Originally posted by elsien
    I've been wondering how Gitdog is. Haven't heard anything about him for ages!

How's he been since you stopped the training classes?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th May 18, 7:02 PM
    • 34,841 Posts
    • 129,353 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Plus, has anyone heard from MessedUp?

Not heard from her for a while, either.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 7th May 18, 7:57 PM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,609 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    OOOO, don't know about Kefir water. Where do you get that, please? (Still on 5:2, and just about to have some food after a day of abstinence.)

We have a sodastream, and I lurve fizzy water with just enough ginger cordial (available at vast expense from Waitrose, other shops sometimes have it cheaper) to cover the bottom of the glass. I don't do this on fast days tho!

Lovely to see Gitdog. I was also wondering *loud cough* how Sir Pugliet is! I saw some inferior cuddly pugs today (not real ones, which could never be inferior) and Lady Pugslet sends her love!

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th May 18, 8:33 PM
    • 34,841 Posts
    • 129,353 Thanks
    Pyxis
    OOOO, don't know about Kefir water. Where do you get that, please? (Still on 5:2, and just about to have some food after a day of abstinence.)

We have a sodastream, and I lurve fizzy water with just enough ginger cordial (available at vast expense from Waitrose, other shops sometimes have it cheaper) to cover the bottom of the glass. I don't do this on fast days tho!

Lovely to see Gitdog. I was also wondering *loud cough* how Sir Pugliet is! I saw some inferior cuddly pugs today (not real ones, which could never be inferior) and Lady Pugslet sends her love!
    The one I get is made by Pure Earth....they do 4 flavours.

https://www.purearth.co.uk/product-category/kefirs/

But I get mine from Abel and Cole, with all my other goodies. They sell it slightly cheaper than Pure Earth, but you can get them online from Pure Earth.

https://www.abelandcole.co.uk

It's not particularly cheap, especially when combined with the rather expensive ginger shots, but then neither is alcohol cheap!

You can try making it yourself, by buying the kefir grains and fermenting them. I might try that sometime. I don't know how easy it is to do, though.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 7th May 18, 10:52 PM
    • 1,801 Posts
    • 9,361 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Thanks Pyxis, you are very understanding I can totally relate to the t-Rex in toy story when he says he doesn't like confrontation!

Elsein I love seeing pics of gitdog. We can't have a dog while DS1 is still living at home because of his allergies so I always love seeing other people's pets.
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 8th May 18, 6:18 AM
    • 5,131 Posts
    • 21,756 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Sir P is fine JM! He will be sitting right next to me very soon for moral support. I appear to have learnt all I can from the Crisis Intervention training after 15 hours rather than 20 and the trainer has put me forward for my final role play exam. Today I will be given a list of dates to choose from for it to take place. Presuming I don't mess it up I am then unleashed on the public as a certified Crisis Responder!

I hate exams!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 8th May 18, 7:44 AM
    • 34,841 Posts
    • 129,353 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Sir P is fine JM! He will be sitting right next to me very soon for moral support. I appear to have learnt all I can from the Crisis Intervention training after 15 hours rather than 20 and the trainer has put me forward for my final role play exam. Today I will be given a list of dates to choose from for it to take place. Presuming I don't mess it up I am then unleashed on the public as a certified Crisis Responder!

I hate exams!
    Originally posted by Waves and Smiles
    Well done that fast-track student!

WaS, it's not an exam, it's just a 'try-out' session, to see if you like doing it.
    They want you, that's obvious; so this session is to see if you want to do it!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 8th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,609 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Yes, I was tempted to say something about how proud Sir P must be of his mum - and that was before I even knew about the fast tracking! Good luck for the final assessment (not using the E word! )

• Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 8th May 18, 6:54 PM
    • 5,131 Posts
    • 21,756 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Thank you! No, it is not an exam. If I think it's an exam I'll panic day and night.

Ahem. Watch this - It sounds like you feel Sir P feels a lot of pride in his mum right now, JM and you wish WaS well for the future. See that? That's crisis reflection, that is! I speak like this now!

I can't believe I have made it this far, just one final step to go and I have qualified. If you had asked me a year ago I would never have attempted this. Granted they cheat a little and don't mention how much training there is until you commit but there is no way I would have tried. It is helping me psychologically to believe in myself, perhaps I am not as pointless as I thought I was?

Update-My exam is 8pm Thursday! That's less than 48 hours!!! At least I don't get a long time to panic about it? Wish me luck please!
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 08-05-2018 at 9:44 PM.

• jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 8th May 18, 11:25 PM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,609 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Good luck, oh reflective one, and your reflection is correct! And Ms Puggle (whose name changes with the wind, it seems. And she has a lot of that, as do most pugs) wishes you lots of luck as well, but doesn't think you'll need it.

PS Pugs would like to know, as they know you don't watch much TV - have you seen this? (Non-triggering unless you are scared of butterflies)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/technow/this-pug-with-butterfly-wings-is-claimed-to-be-the-first-augmented-reality-pet-839302.html

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th May 18, 12:07 AM
    • 34,841 Posts
    • 129,353 Thanks
    Pyxis
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th May 18, 7:36 AM
    • 4,176 Posts
    • 9,381 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Good luck WaS
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,088Posts Today

8,892Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin