Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,124Posts
    • 21,710Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread !!!8220;Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2!!!8221;. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 501
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    • 34,302 Posts
    • 127,219 Thanks
    Pyxis
    WaS that's really good news. The people will be fortunate to have you.

I have an appointment tomorrow with a psychologist so rather anxious.
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    That's understandable.

I'm sure it will be fine, though.

Let's hope they can offer some help.

Do let us know how you get on.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 6th Apr 18, 12:21 AM
    • 4,257 Posts
    • 3,737 Thanks
    dekaspace
    As I noticed in past, holidays are in fact the best time of year (bar a few days at Christmas and the weeks running up to it) for peace in my property, today the only noise I heard was dog barking for a few minutes and kid run in at a much lower volume.

Still think I should move as I caught one of the junkies exposing himself as he was unloading his bladder onto my front doorstep 2 weeks ago and didnt even apologise, hes well known in town for stealing, threatening shopkeepers and passers by.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 6th Apr 18, 11:24 AM
    • 1,534 Posts
    • 4,440 Thanks
    Izadora
    WaS, that's amazing news and I'm so pleased for you
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 6th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    • 4,091 Posts
    • 9,185 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    That's such good news WaS
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 7th Apr 18, 1:11 AM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 21,710 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    I hope the appointment with the psychologist gave you some comfort Torry.

Thank you for all the congratulations everyone, I am still pinching myself. I had my first online interview with a supervisor today and they couldn't have been nicer. We ended up talking a lot about my mental health difficulties and she assured me they employ people in similar situations. She emphasised that I need to use the supervision available and that all supervisors are trained clinicians who would be willing to support me in my personal as well as working life. Her main point was to tell them if I am having any problems at all immediately, don't just try to power through on my own.

The next step is 10 one hour training lectures with a quiz after each one. After that I will do 10 hours of roleplay with a supervisor to make sure my responses are as good as they can be. Finally there is 20 hours of working with a supervisor observing me. That one is a little difficult for me as my paranoia doesn't like things like that but I need to remember they are there to advise me, not attack me. After that I meet with a psychologist who awards the certificate and I am unleashed on the public alone for 4 hours a week!

I do like that the training is so thorough, it makes me realise they really value the support they offer. By the time people have completed the 40 hours training they really will be the best that they can be. All in all it is a very good organisation who are willing to offer support to me outside of work too.

Having said all that I will be terrified for a while yet!
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 07-04-2018 at 1:34 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
    • mellymoo74
    • By mellymoo74 7th Apr 18, 4:30 PM
    • 5,747 Posts
    • 13,182 Thanks
    mellymoo74
    Well done WaS

Hoping the psychologist was able to offer some help Torry and sending strength
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 11th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 21,710 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Thank you Melly!

Quick update-this course is hard.

The emotional contents I already know but there is a specific way of phrasing replies to clients, for example you never use the word 'I' because that is self-disclosure and you are to never offer your own opinion or emotion. Everything is client-centred and reflected back to them, you are there to help them make their own decisions about what feels right for them to do. It is heavily based in psychotherapy which I have had 9 years of but it is a little trickier to be giving it rather than receiving. I have new admiration for my therapist who only twice in 9 years ever offered personal opinion, it's more difficult than it looks!

Five lessons down, four to go then onto 20 hours of roleplay exercises. I am getting there!

How is everyone?

• elsien
    • By elsien 11th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    • 16,201 Posts
    • 40,933 Thanks
    elsien
    The role play in itself would be enough to send me running for the hills.
    I understand why it's neccessary but still think it's very brave of you. I'm sure you'll be great at it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 12th Apr 18, 12:50 AM
    • 19,118 Posts
    • 19,564 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Too late at night to write anything sensible Lots of love to Torry. WaS, incredibly proud of you!!!!!!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Apr 18, 5:58 AM
    • 34,302 Posts
    • 127,219 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Yes, well done, WaS!

You know you can do it!

How is Torry?

How did you get on with the therapist, Torry?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 14th Apr 18, 7:13 PM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 21,710 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Can I have a bit of reassurance and a quick whine please?

Whilst doing my course the lecturer stated that it will get easier as we advance our career. I nearly had a panic attack on the spot. I am not doing this for any reason related to a career! Career is a tremendous trigger word to me! I had a career once and then it all fell to pieces after my first psychotic break and it has taken 24 years to be brave enough to go this far. I cannot think of it as a career or I really will run for the hills! I am absolutely terrified of failing again.

Other than that it's going well!

• geminilady
    • By geminilady 14th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 7,316 Thanks
    geminilady
    There is no need to panic WaS,he just used the wrong word,you know you are just going to help a lot of people and you are going to be very good at it because of all you have been through.You are brave and will sail through the course then get on with helping people.We believe in you.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    • 34,302 Posts
    • 127,219 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Can I have a bit of reassurance and a quick whine please?

Whilst doing my course the lecturer stated that it will get easier as we advance in our ability to help teenagers.
    !
    Originally posted by Waves and Smiles
    I have corrected the C word for you, WaS.

What you are embarking on is not the C word; it's honing skills you already have to enable you to best reach out to the youngsters who will ask for help.
    It's also acquainting yourself with the protocols of the online interactions, and the admin that goes with it.

That's all. Not a C word in sight!

Think of yourself as a volunteer, which is what you are.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 14th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    • 19,118 Posts
    • 19,564 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    (Except WaS is probs a supervol, because she is so good)! The c word was probably helpful to some other people, but doesn't follow your model at all, so just ignore it. xxx

Shout out for Torry - thinking of you, but don't feel that you have to post xxxxxx <3
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 16th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 21,710 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Thank you all so much, major panic averted!

I know being told it's a career will be very encouraging and exciting to many people on the course, it just doesn't work for me and flashes me straight back to how badly my career ended. I am still very scarred from it, I have only recently been able to think clearly about it without wanting to curl up in a small ball of horror. There is no reason it should happen with this job (argh it's a job!), it is only 4 hours a week and I am in a much better place than I was back then. It might even help me help me get over the previous disaster with any luck.

Hugs and handshakes to all, how is everyone doing? Extra hugs for Torry,

• Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Apr 18, 3:35 AM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 21,710 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Update-

My first interview with a psychotherapist is 7pm on Tuesday! It is on the phone, argh! I hate phone calls! She said it will take around 30 minutes then they will move on to the police background check, at least there are no worries there. Panic isn't the word.

Despite the total anxiety I should also say that I have successfully passed the academic part of the course. No more writing at least!

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Apr 18, 6:16 AM
    • 34,302 Posts
    • 127,219 Thanks
    Pyxis

Jolly well done, WaS!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Lambyr
    • By Lambyr 17th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 1,665 Thanks
    Lambyr
    Congrats on the job, WaS!

Hope you're holding up OK, Torry.
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 18th Apr 18, 1:41 AM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 21,710 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    I passed the interview! The psychotherapist was lovely and she is the supervisor that I will have when I start working. I couldn't be happy with the choice, she giggles as much when shes on the phone as I do.

We did speak a lot about my mental health and she understandably needed to check I take regular medication and have a support system. That didn't bother me at all, of course they have to make sure that I am stable enough for the work, I am just grateful that they gave me the opportunity.

The next step is the police check which will go through over the next 48 hours. After that I begin the role play practice. It can last up to 20 hours but as I have a psychological background she said she was going to recommend 8 hours practice, then I start the work.

I am really doing this!

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 18th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 8,734 Posts
    • 15,719 Thanks
    calleyw
    I passed the interview! The psychotherapist was lovely and she is the supervisor that I will have when I start working. I couldn't be happy with the choice, she giggles as much when shes on the phone as I do.

We did speak a lot about my mental health and she understandably needed to check I take regular medication and have a support system. That didn't bother me at all, of course they have to make sure that I am stable enough for the work, I am just grateful that they gave me the opportunity.

The next step is the police check which will go through over the next 48 hours. After that I begin the role play practice. It can last up to 20 hours but as I have a psychological background she said she was going to recommend 8 hours practice, then I start the work.

I am really doing this!
    Originally posted by Waves and Smiles
    WaS,

Massive hugs and squishes I am so happy for you.

Its a great feeling when you can help people out. You do on this thread but you can reach even more people now.

I wish you all the best with this.

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

805Posts Today

6,258Users online

Martin's Twitter