Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,131Posts
    • 21,760Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread !!!8220;Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2!!!8221;. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 498
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 28th Feb 18, 8:48 AM
    • 8,739 Posts
    • 15,727 Thanks
    calleyw
    Valentine's Day this year was our 31st wedding anniversary. It's a long time and we did most things together so it's hard to think as an individual after so long. My GP is at 10 tomorrow so I should try and get some sleep soon.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, it is good to know I have somewhere safe to sound off.
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    Torry,

That is a long time. Thats nice you did so much together. But couples do need to have their own friends and interests out side of the relationship. As it can be such a shock when you are left on your own

I spent 4 years on my own so not too much of an issue for me. Its like when AM goes away for the weekend. This will sound strange but I do and don't miss him at the same time.

I see you found a thread on the forum I was going to suggest Self help thread. I am a widow coping getting on with it.

I hope you don't think I am stalking you. I was going to suggest it last night. But only thought to search for it this morning for you.And saw you have already joined.It will take time to adjust to being on your own. Hard when you are use to another body in the bed. Or someone to talk to at any time of the night or day.Take it slow, Be kind to yourself at all times. This might sound a strange. But would a body pillow or a big teddy bear help to sleep with. As it fills the bed. Not the same as a person. But gives you something to snuggle up to at night.

Hope it all goes well at the GP.

Take Care

yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 28th Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 17,171 Posts
    • 26,532 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Torry,

That is a long time. Thats nice you did so much together. But couples do need to have their own friends and interests out side of the relationship. As it can be such a shock when you are left on your own

I spent 4 years on my own so not too much of an issue for me. Its like when AM goes away for the weekend. This will sound strange but I do and don't miss him at the same time.

I see you found a thread on the forum I was going to suggest Self help thread. I am a widow coping getting on with it.

I hope you don't think I am stalking you. I was going to suggest it last night. But only thought to search for it this morning for you.And saw you have already joined.It will take time to adjust to being on your own. Hard when you are use to another body in the bed. Or someone to talk to at any time of the night or day.Take it slow, Be kind to yourself at all times. This might sound a strange. But would a body pillow or a big teddy bear help to sleep with. As it fills the bed. Not the same as a person. But gives you something to snuggle up to at night.

Hope it all goes well at the GP.

Take Care

yours

Calley X
    Originally posted by calleyw
    I don't think you're stalking me, just trying to help which is very sweet of you.

Neither of us found it easy to make friends and combined with my health meant we were together mostly other than his work.

Saw GP and will continue with the sleeping tablets every second night. Back in a fortnight.

Very snowy and cold here today.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 28th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 8,739 Posts
    • 15,727 Thanks
    calleyw
    I don't think you're stalking me, just trying to help which is very sweet of you.
    Just one of my little anxieties

Neither of us found it easy to make friends and combined with my health meant we were together mostly other than his work.

Saw GP and will continue with the sleeping tablets every second night. Back in a fortnight.

Very snowy and cold here today.
    As you get older its harder to make friends. Helps if you have hobbies. My ex husband lost friends after having a stroke. Was sad as these had been friends that he had for 20 years.

People are strange. I think they think all you are going to do is talk about your ill health. If you are at home all the time you are thirsty for contact. I spend a lot of time at home alone. And love to hear about other peoples lives no matter how mundane

take care

yours

Calley x

• jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 3rd Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,612 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Torry, I don't know whether you will find this useful. I thought there were a couple of good ideas xxxx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-43227108/why-grief-is-not-something-you-have-to-get-over

My poor BIL - his mother has just died. He's been trying to come over from France for a couple of days to be with her, but there have been no flights because of the weather, so he didn't make it in time. She did say that she didn't want people to put themselves at risk to see her (she knew she didn't have long). I still feel very sorry for him as it is SOOOO stressful trying to get home for stuff like this. I think he's flying tomorrow.

(Not your fault, WaS!) xxx
    Last edited by jobbingmusician; 03-03-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 3rd Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 8,739 Posts
    • 15,727 Thanks
    calleyw
    Afternoon my lovelies,

Hugs and handshakes and squishes all round.

I hope everyone is safe and warm. The snow is leaving us now.

Had a blip with the boiler but I managed to fix it. Did call someone out. But that was thursday evening and not heard a peep. Up to there neck in broken boilers I can only assume.

Tired again and no idea why. Might go for a nap in a while. Went around to my ex husbands to see him as not seen him for a few days because of the snow. But I made sure he was ok by keep phoning. His delightful bird did a poo on my leg. Arghhh only put these jeans on this morning Good job me and AM went around as while there his telly stopped working. It needed someone to change sockets. A but of a faff and more so for him.

If you still have snow stay warm and dry.

Everyone take care

Yours

Calley X

• Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 7th Mar 18, 3:59 PM
    • 5,131 Posts
    • 21,760 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Hi all!

Hope everyone is well, hugs and warm handshakes to those who need them. Special hugs for Torry, I am thinking of you, my friend.

I am gradually coming off the extra dose of anti-psychotics and I am grumpy! I also have terrible restless legs at night as a withdrawal symptom. I don't think there is any psychosis so far which is good but a lot of physical symptoms. I should be back down to my usual dose in 10 days time when hopefully I can get back into the old routine.

Other than that I haven't done much due to having to keep this knee elevated. It is getting better but very slowly. I am rather bored!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 7th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 17,171 Posts
    • 26,532 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Sleep is not good, at most I get a couple of hours wake up, watch tv then sleep for a couple of hours so get about five hours in total. Only slightly more with a sleeping pill. I feel like I'm in a permanent daze.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 7th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    • 5,131 Posts
    • 21,760 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    You are in shock Torry, it takes a long time for that to go away in grief and it can disappear and reappear. You have had a massive life change that has shaken you to the core, sometimes our bodies just need to switch off from that for a while and go on autopilot just to get through. Everything you are experiencing is typical of grief even if it seems odd or even mad, it takes time.

Are you managing to eat and drink a little? (((Torry)))

• Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 7th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 17,171 Posts
    • 26,532 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    You are in shock Torry, it takes a long time for that to go away in grief and it can disappear and reappear. You have had a massive life change that has shaken you to the core, sometimes our bodies just need to switch off from that for a while and go on autopilot just to get through. Everything you are experiencing is typical of grief even if it seems odd or even mad, it takes time.

Are you managing to eat and drink a little? (((Torry)))
    Originally posted by Waves and Smiles
    I am although it's an effort. Made a ham sandwich for my supper and now drinking some hot ribena.

I'm getting annoyed at people who although caring just don't get me. If I go out then I'm told that im coping but I'm going through the motions and sob my heart out as soon as I get in the door. I do the minimum needed and even showering is an effort that seems pointless. The cat gets fed though.

Hope it goes well reducing your medication.

• xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 8th Mar 18, 12:09 AM
    • 17,133 Posts
    • 45,081 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Dies anyone else experience health anxiety?
    [penguin-mentions death]
    I;ve had bad back pain for the past 2 years and i currently have a cough and i;ve convinced myself its lung cancer and i'm going to die. I'm too scared to see my GP. 17 years ago my grandad went to the doctors with the same symptoms and within 2 weeks he had a lung cancer diagnosis and died. I'm so scared. Its ironic considering for more than half my life i actually wanted to die, but now i have Swain and we have a future and im scared im not going to be here. Its the same thing which led to me putting off my smear test for 5 years-the fear that there was something wrong and i was going to die. I'm really scared i'm dying and i dont know how to explain that to anyone. i don;t know what to do sorry if this is triggering for anyone
    [/penguin]
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    "I just need to be alone right now, i just wanna take a little breather"
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 8th Mar 18, 12:25 AM
    • 17,171 Posts
    • 26,532 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Messed up. The chances are it's not what you fear but there's only one way to find out. Could someone go with you? Please try and get help.

• xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 8th Mar 18, 12:32 AM
    • 17,133 Posts
    • 45,081 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Messed up. The chances are it's not what you fear but there's only one way to find out. Could someone go with you? Please try and get help.
    I'm going to try and make a GP appointment. I don;t feel i can talk to Swain about it cos this is probably anxiety and i'll feel stupid for worrying him over potentially nothing. I know he'll understand but i don;t want him worrying about me more than he already does. I don;t know how to even bring this up with my GP? Like do i tell him i think i'm ill and can they do tests? how does that even work? will he think i'm stupid for worrying about it? Mentally i'm just about coping but physcially i think my body is a wreck and i'm scared to find out how much of a wreck it is if that makes sense?

I;ve had bad backpain for about 2 years now but i;ve been trying to cope on my own (and taking coedine and paracetamol) because i know the first thing, the only thing i will get told is to lose weight, my mum was in agony for years, she went to her GP and they told her to lose weight. My mum, being my mum crash dieted and lost about 4st only to be told she had rheumatoid arthritis all along. Thats what scares me. I'm scared i wont get taken seriously and everything will be attributed to me being overweight.
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    "I just need to be alone right now, i just wanna take a little breather"
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Mar 18, 7:40 AM
    • 16,399 Posts
    • 41,445 Thanks
    elsien
    Say it like you've said it on here - you've explained it well and it makes perfect sense. That's what I did with my GP when I had similar concerns for similar reasons - my aunt had x, now I've got this and I need to check that it's not the same thing. They won't think you're silly, lots of people feel the same. I procrastinated for about 18 months before I took my concern to the GP which was a bit silly of me because if it had turned out to be something more serious (luckily it wasn't) the sooner it could have been treated the better.

Tell them about the pain and that although you know your weight doesn't help this is what happened to your mum and you need to be sure it's not a similar thing happening with you. It may be that after an examination other things are suggested initially, such as physio or core exercises but if that doesn't help you go back and say "didn't help, what next?"
    Write it down if you need to and wave it at them/read it out when you get there. Tell them you are worried and it's impacting on your MH. You're probably not going to get sent for a battery of tests after a first visit, but if weight comes into it you could say that with the impact of your meds they can't just say go away and lose weight so what practical support can they offer?

Have you ever tried Pilates? That's good for building up core strength which in turn should help with back ache if there turns out to be a postural element - you're on your feet all day, don't forget, which isn't easy.
    Last edited by elsien; 08-03-2018 at 7:50 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 8th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 4,189 Posts
    • 9,420 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Response to MU so penguin for health stuff etc

The way I look at it is that knowing is scary, but if it is serious I can get treatment and might not die, or it might be something simple and I have nothing to worry about. Not knowing is more scary to me and it is always there in my mind, and if it is something serious and I don't know, I will die anyway.

Rational me triumphs over terrified me and I do go to the doctor and get the tests, so with the symptoms I had a few years back it I ended up with him sticking his finger up my bum to check my prostate then sending me off to be given an enema (sooo embarrassing) and have a camera stuck up by bum / lower bowel (not an experience I ever care to repeat ). Turned out to be the least serious of all the possible outcomes for the symptoms I presented with in the end and required little more than minor adjustments to my diet to deal with.

Basically I'd rather know, as I find living with wondering and worrying about what might be wrong totally debilitating, to the point where I make myself ill from exhaustion as it stops me sleeping.

end penguin

Doctors are used to people's worries, they know we all have our fears and phobias. They know that to most people the human body is a complex mystery and we get scared when it goes wrong. If necessary, write everything down so you don't forget (advice I would do well to heed myself at times )
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 8th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,612 Thanks
    jobbingmusician

Doctors are used to people's worries, they know we all have our fears and phobias.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    And the other thing - doctors are just the same as us and have their own fears about their health! So they should sympathise, even though their fears about their health are in theory better informed.

Ono - hugs! I was listening to a programme about prostate stuff on the radio yesterday, and tests do seem a bit of a mess at the moment from what I could tell. The main thing I took from the programme (this bit is not directed at you but at hummingbirds - sounds like your concerns are resolved) is that Cancer Research UK have lots of helpful things on their website, especially about prostate stuff.

Hugs to all, and a gentle little non-pervy pat on the bum for ono!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 8th Mar 18, 12:16 PM
    • 8,739 Posts
    • 15,727 Thanks
    calleyw
    Afternoon my Lovelies,

Hugs and squishes and handshakes all round.

Torry, sorry to hear you are still struggling. As WaS said its going to take time. It was a massive shock. As I keep saying be kind to yourself.

MU, I know its scary to think you might have x or y. I had a cough for about 2 months that would not go away. There are other reasons I worry but wont go in to that here. I was sent for a chest x-day and convinced they would find some thing and it came back clear.

So please do go the same for all the ladies who have not had a smear recently. Please do go. its is nice of dignified but could save your life.

Everyone take care

Yours

Calley X

• jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 11th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,612 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    I saw this and thought it was gentle and lovely. And inclusive (I sometimes have a bit of a pang at being childless, and get annoyed with people with prams when they run my feet over!) Hugs and squishes to all - consider the cupboard replenished! (((xxx)))

• onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 16th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 4,189 Posts
    • 9,420 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Hi all, hope everyone is managing OK. Next couple of paragraphs are about health but I don't think it warrants a penguin.

Been having a few family health dramas recently. Dad has been struggling a lot, had some tests at the hospital which were inconclusive and has to go in for another whole day of tests soon. I hope they can find out what the problem is as at the moment he can barely walk ten yards without stopping for a rest and can't lie down as it makes him breathless.

Mum wants to make out an LPA for health and welfare, and I spent quite a bit of time going through it with her last weekend. This is partly brought about by gran and the seven years she spent declining in a care home with alzheimers, and also other people they know that are going downhill a lot, needing a lot of care and having no quality of life. The problem has been getting her to explain what she does and does not want her attornies (I'm one of them) to do in particular situations if she lacks capacity. I don't find it difficult to talk about (I thought I would, but turns out I was wrong), but I do want to make sure I properly understand what she would want . I've suggested that when she takes the form in to the GP for her to sign she talks to her to try and order her thoughts because I basically failed to help - my suggestion that plain English is fine, no complex medical terminology needed, just some guiding principles was not found helpful.

One for those of you with health and safety background - apparently we are going to need someone in our office to be trained in "handling dangerous goods", as we sell those little displays that some banks use to give you an ever changing password each time you log in to your account, as they have tiny Lithium ion batteries built in. Our courier won't accept them from us for delivery unless we have a trained person and they have come in to inspect our procedures. Blimey life's complicated, and to think, people carry them around in their pockets!

Bit of nice news for me, I'm actually going to manage a holiday this year, staying in a villa near Lake Garda in high summer Hope to do day trips to Verona and Venice on the train while I'm there, and try out my Italian on unsuspecting locals .
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 34,985 Posts
    • 129,861 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Hi all, hope everyone is managing OK. Next couple of paragraphs are about health but I don't think it warrants a penguin.

Been having a few family health dramas recently. Dad has been struggling a lot, had some tests at the hospital which were inconclusive and has to go in for another whole day of tests soon. I hope they can find out what the problem is as at the moment he can barely walk ten yards without stopping for a rest and can't lie down as it makes him breathless.

Mum wants to make out an LPA for health and welfare, and I spent quite a bit of time going through it with her last weekend. This is partly brought about by gran and the seven years she spent declining in a care home with alzheimers, and also other people they know that are going downhill a lot, needing a lot of care and having no quality of life. The problem has been getting her to explain what she does and does not want her attornies (I'm one of them) to do in particular situations if she lacks capacity. I don't find it difficult to talk about (I thought I would, but turns out I was wrong), but I do want to make sure I properly understand what she would want . I've suggested that when she takes the form in to the GP for her to sign she talks to her to try and order her thoughts because I basically failed to help - my suggestion that plain English is fine, no complex medical terminology needed, just some guiding principles was not found helpful.

One for those of you with health and safety background - apparently we are going to need someone in our office to be trained in "handling dangerous goods", as we sell those little displays that some banks use to give you an ever changing password each time you log in to your account, as they have tiny Lithium ion batteries built in. Our courier won't accept them from us for delivery unless we have a trained person and they have come in to inspect our procedures. Blimey life's complicated, and to think, people carry them around in their pockets!

Bit of nice news for me, I'm actually going to manage a holiday this year, staying in a villa near Lake Garda in high summer Hope to do day trips to Verona and Venice on the train while I'm there, and try out my Italian on unsuspecting locals .
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    Ooooh! Ono! Nice one!

You must, must, must factor in a visit to D'Annunzio's house, Il Vittoriale degli Italiani! It is absolutely fascinating!

The writer of this found it oppressive and depressing, but it so isn't, if you like quirky and barmy things, plus D'Annunzio was very eccentric and wasn't afraid to criticise Mussolini, despite being a fascist himself.

http://www.italymagazine.com/featured-story/dannunzio-and-il-vittoriale-degli-italiani-poets-fantasy

It's also an interesting period of Italian history.

I had never heard of him, but my Italian teacher recommended I visit it, as it is so off the wall!
    I was so glad she did, because it was the highlight of my holiday at Lake Garda!
    You can get to it by the ferry from anywhere on the lake.

When I went, several years ago, they didn't do tours of the house in English, but the guide said she would try to speak slowly, and between her speaking (not very slowly!) and the English guide leaflet, I managed.

It was also interesting because he was around with Mussolini, and because the Italian populace loved him (D'Annunzio), Mussolini couldn't touch him!

Explore the buildings in the grounds too, because there is an amphitheatre, a concrete battleship, (!!!) and D'Annunzio's tomb.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 16th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 4,189 Posts
    • 9,420 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I'd never heard of him either, but looks well worth a visit, so thank you!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,054Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin