Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 8:12 AM
    • 2,495Posts
    • 21,006Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 8:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 8:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
Page 58
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Apr 19, 7:36 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

Happy hump day, too

Yesterday I ended up trying the new boxing class which my ex-colleague had suggested. Despite his typically unpredictability, he did actually come along too. It was super hard work, to the point where I felt sick - twice - and I would say I'm relatively fit too. Anyway, despite the hour long torture, it was good to be back in gloves again as it's been about 2 years since I done some boxing. The gym is 5 minutes from me, so I've no excuse now.

I quite literally rolled into bed afterwards and again slept right through thanks to having no energy. No gym this morning, but I have yoga at lunch and I'll go a run after work too.

Yesterday NSD #5 (boxing was budgeted) although I do need to spend today. My tortillas I was using for my lunches seem a bit too hard, which means I'm lunchless today and I need to buy a new pack to do me for the rest of the week.

Follow my diary HERE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Apr 19, 7:00 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

A busy day in work yesterday meant I didn't leave till 6.30ish (bear in mind I'm meant to finish at 5). I had yoga at lunch time for 45 minutes then I went to the gym after work again for a short run and some weights. Was totally withering wither to go and I imagined myself sitting on the couch doing nothing and that was the motivation I needed.

Went to buy tortilla wraps yesterday as the ones I pulled out the freezer had pretty much turned into poppadoms. SM only had beetroot wraps so due to no other options, I've got them. This ruined my NSD, too. Stuck on 5.

I had chicken wings which had been marinading in a homemade blackberry and chipotle jam. Was really nice but despite my sweet tooth, I think I prefer spicy wings! Cauliflower mac 'n' cheese tonight before football training at 9.

Not much else to report.

Follow my diary HERE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Apr 19, 7:30 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning chums,

I left work at a reasonable time yesterday, headed straight home and made my cauliflower mac 'n' cheese which was nice, but not quite as filing as the real deal. Football training was a good run around but I didn't play as well as I could have, frustrating. Given it finishes at 10pm by the time I'm home and showered it's well past my bed time but my hearts still racing, so I took my time, tidied up and read my book for a bit. It helped.

No gym this morning, but I'll head after work today for a while. Also just realised I forgot to take a chicken breast out the freezer for my dinner tonight, damn!! No plans for this evening, so I'll have a relaxed one to myself, the first in well over week.

NSD # 6 yesterday.

Tomorrow is date night, so wish me luck. I'm really hoping to know by the end of the night how I feel. It's already starting to consume my thoughts.

Follow my diary HERE
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Apr 19, 9:22 PM
    • 4,667 Posts
    • 40,593 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hope that date night is going well Speky
    NST April #11 nsd = 12 1 debt vs 100 days #5 £553/£553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: £997.60/£5750
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Apr 19, 8:38 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Mine was centred around date night on Saturday. My tram was delayed and my train was cancelled, which meant my journey actually took me 2.5 hours, not the best of starts. Anyway, (eventually) dinner was lovely and we went for some drinks after, which gave me the chance to get to know her better and I came to the conclusion that she is a lovely girl but I'm still unsure how attracted I am to her. It makes me sound so shallow, I'm aware of that and you may have been reading enough of my drivel to know I'm not, but I do maintain it's important. Am I best cutting ties sooner rather than later to avoid feelings growing and making it harder down the line? Or why throw away something which could be so good for the sake of aesthetics? I don't know. I need more time to think.

Back to work it is today. Yoga tonight, too, after I've been to the SM as I didn't get the chance over the weekend. Didn't manage a NSD so still stuck on 6.

Follow my diary HERE
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 15th Apr 19, 9:07 AM
    • 503 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    Hi Speky

If you point blank don't find feel any physical attraction or ever see this changing then its probably kinder to be up front and the chances are you will gain a new friend however if you feel like an attraction could grow hang on in there until you have your answers.

Its not shallow at all , there has be some kind of chemistry if you are going to have "that" kind of relationship
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 16th Apr 19, 7:00 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hi Speky

If you point blank don't find feel any physical attraction or ever see this changing then its probably kinder to be up front and the chances are you will gain a new friend however if you feel like an attraction could grow hang on in there until you have your answers.

Its not shallow at all , there has be some kind of chemistry if you are going to have "that" kind of relationship
    Originally posted by efes shareholder
    Thank you so much efes.

No, I do feel slightly attracted to her but not as much as I did with previous GF's. Neither of us are in any rush so I'm going to take my time over the next couple of weeks and see how I feel. To be fair, she may well be feeling the same way!

Yesterday, I left work yesterday, ran to the SM, got my weekly shopping, home to make my dinner and my broccoli and ricotta soup for my lunches this week then had yoga for 1.5 hours.

No gym this morning and instead I have that torturous boxing class again tonight. I know I'm not selling it, but you feel better for it the next day.

Still stuck on NSD#6

Follow my diary HERE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Apr 19, 7:16 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

Standard day for me yesterday. Finished work (late) then home to make a light dinner whilst on the phone to my Mum. Then had a boxing class at 8.30 which I was dreading purely because of how knackered I was last week. I forced myself to go as you only get out what you put in, so I took it as a good sign. Home > showered > collapsed into bed.

I have yoga this afternoon on my lunch break for an hour then I'll swing by the gym after work for a run or weights before heading home to probably sit on the couch for a bit. Although I do need to give the place a once over with the hoover but when is the deadline for hoovering in a flat? Is 8pm too late?

Got a text from my old boss, who has moved to a new job himself, asking if I'm interested in a job with him back in Glasgow. I said the chances are it's too soon but if the money is crazy then it's something to consider. Nothing set in stone at his end yet and he wanted to gauge the interest before asking the CEO for funds. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath. Nice of him to ask though.

NSD # 7 yesterday

Follow my diary HERE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Apr 19, 7:19 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hello everyone,

I can't quite believe it's Thursday already!! Where are the days going?!

Yesterday I stayed late in work but it got so late that I couldn't concentrate so I went straight to the gym for a very short run. Again I felt distracted and the need to go home, despite having nothing to do at home really. Anyway, I decided to watch the new GoT episode, read a bit then go to sleep.

No gym this morning although I will go after work for a good bit. I've not got much planned for the Easter Weekend, other than an old colleague is coming to Manchester on Saturday and I said I'd go meet him and Mrs for a drink or two. Aside from that, the 4 days are to myself so I'm not sure what mischief I'll get up to but I'll try and be as productive as possible.

NSD #8 yesterday

Follow my diary HERE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 23rd Apr 19, 7:30 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

I hope you all enjoyed your Easter weekend sun. I couldn't quite believe how lucky we were to have that weather during all 4 days, it felt like I was on holiday.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Activities included; running outdoors, yoga, a deep clean of the flat, meeting an ex colleague for drinks, going a wander round the city centre and on the whole, eating healthy. It was really nice. It actually gave me the first feeling of what it would be like if I moved abroad, which is an idea that I've considered for a few years. I've got to say, I quite fancied the idea.

For now, it's back to work - although I did come into the office twice during the weekend to keep on top of things. Possibly have boxing tonight although my wrist is a bit sore, so I may skip this week.

In other news, I decided to tell the girl from Liverpool that despite having a good time on our dates, it just wasn't right for me. She actually was very nice about it and thanked me for my honesty and suggested keeping in touch. Kind of feel like it's a load off my mind.

No NSD's achieved so I'm on 9 for the month, so far.

Follow my diary HERE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 24th Apr 19, 7:51 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning,

Last night was what is becoming 'the usual'; staying late in work, going to the gym then home to bed. Not that I mind. Far from it.

Slightly later than usual check in from me as I opted for a longer lie and then had some sourdough toast and peanut butter. Yoga at lunch today then I'll visit the gym post-work too.

The most exciting thing in my life at the moment is my contemplation of switching banks. Of course I'm using here as my source of knowledge but I can't decide if I want a switching bonus, a packaged account or an app based bank. I'd ideally like a blend of all three!!

Yesterday was NSD #10, too, with today looking like it'll be number 11.

Follow my diary HERE
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 24th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 9,810 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    We have a mix of different banks including Natwest for the bills account - pay £2/month and get 2% back on bills which is getting us around £100+ profit over the course of the year - I like their app very much and First Direct for a couple of current accounts getting the switching bonus and access to the 5% regular saver account - love the online access but their app is oddly poor
    I've switched out from Lloyds, Santander and TSB over the years - nothing massively wrong with any of them but didn't feel minded to stay longer than was necessary for the bonus. I actually like our local building society very much - good online access and no charges for using the card abroad.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 25th Apr 19, 8:03 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    We have a mix of different banks including Natwest for the bills account - pay £2/month and get 2% back on bills which is getting us around £100+ profit over the course of the year - I like their app very much and First Direct for a couple of current accounts getting the switching bonus and access to the 5% regular saver account - love the online access but their app is oddly poor
    I've switched out from Lloyds, Santander and TSB over the years - nothing massively wrong with any of them but didn't feel minded to stay longer than was necessary for the bonus. I actually like our local building society very much - good online access and no charges for using the card abroad.
    Originally posted by joeyjimbles
    Thanks for this Joey. Funnily enough I think Natwest was coming out on top with a lot of the comparisons, so I'm leaning that way. I hadn't really considered multiple accounts too so I'll take my time to consider it over the coming couple of weeks. Thanks again

And good morning!

We got thunder late yesterday afternoon but I unfortunately couldn't see any lightning. A mix of clouds and being stuck inside work. It's my favourite weather. It utterly fascinates me and most of the time I've experienced it, it's been quite muggy/warm and yesterday was no different. After natures theatrics I went to the gym for bit then home to catch up on GoT before bed.

No gym this morning, despite booking a spin class. I forgot I have an external meeting so I've had to get myself 'dolled up' for it and you can't really in those gym changing rooms. My hairdryer died on me this morning, so I'll need to do some digging around for a bargain new one. It can wait for now. Football training tonight and not much else planned.

Yesterday was NSD # 11

Follow my diary HERE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,486Posts Today

7,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin