Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 2,276Posts
    • 18,836Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
Page 54
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Jan 19, 8:38 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 18,836 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Speky, I had no idea about your dad - what an awful tough situation for you and your family. However, it sounds as though a good time will be had by all at the weekend and it'll be a lovely catch up for you.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Thanks CCL. I accepted the situation years ago and so it's not something which gets me upset now. By comparison, my best friend's dad died when he was 4, so I try to count myself lucky that I can still see my dad.

Yesterday felt like a long day given the early start and late stay in work. I sorted out my road tax when I got home and prepped a nice healthy dinner before going to bed early. I must have needed the sleep as I slept right through till the alarm at 5,30 and I opted for a longer lie rather than the gym this morning.

I've got football tonight and not much else planned, I might squeeze in a quick visit to the gym given I didn't go this morning. Ask me again at 5pm how I'm feeling.

Today is NSD 6/17

Follow my diary HERE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Jan 19, 8:18 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 18,836 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

I can't quite believe it's Thursday already.

Yesterday I had football training although I was 15 minutes late as I couldn't find the place!! I'm still getting used to the area and I had no idea where I was. My phone maps and my cars sat nav were telling me 2 different places, I even had to stop and ask a guy walking his dog. Anyway, I found it and I will know for next time.

I tried a Jamie Oliver recipe for 1, chicken and butternut squash and it was average. Tonight's dinner is sweet potato, bacon and kale hash, Another new recipe so goodness knows how that will turn out.. I've been cutting out all the bad (tasty) sugary stuff that I adore so much and I'm craving it so much. It's actually my determination not to ruin a NSD which has stopped me. I've then got another game of football 9-10 tonight and not much else planned.

Today is NSD 7/17!

Follow my diary HERE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Jan 19, 8:41 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 18,836 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

Happy Friday too!!

Yesterday, after work, I maintained my productivity and done some other bits and bobs before playing football. I then couldn't sleep after, probably because I'm still cooling down from running about in the cold for an hour. Another NSD.

This meant I opted for a longer lie this morning as opposed to the gym. Put a washing on over night and I've got my whites in now. Tonight I'll visit the gym and then I'll back for my overnight stay back with my mum on Saturday, not that I'll need much.

I actually remembered to pull something out from the freezer for tonight, tuna steak, that I'll have with LO veg. Today should be another NSD - 8/17.

Follow my diary HERE
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 13th Jan 19, 1:45 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Afternoon Speky!

Sounds like you had a busy time over the festive/new year period. How is Manchester treating you?
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £0/£619.

Check out my Diary
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Jan 19, 8:20 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 18,836 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Afternoon Speky!

Sounds like you had a busy time over the festive/new year period. How is Manchester treating you?
    Originally posted by Chandelier.
    Hey, good to see you back.

Manchester so far is really good, thank you. Works good, my colleagues are nice, my flat is nice and close to work and the area seems nice and safe too. Its only been a couple of months but I think i've made the right decision.

Good morning everyone and happy Monday.

I had a lovely weekend visiting family and friends back in Glasgow.

First, on Friday, I couldn't shake my craving for something sugary and with nothing in the cupboards, I caved and drove past Aldi on the route home and spend £2 on some sweet. Thus ruining my NSD.

I left early on Saturday to arrive at my dads party at 1 and got there shortly after. I say party, it was more a gathering of the immediate family members. He's not really able to acknowledge it's his birthday, or even what a birthday is, never mind the fact that he's 60! Anyway, it was nice to see him and the family. I do really enjoy spending time with that side of the family.

From there I drove home and had a nice dinner with my DM and SD then visited my friend around the corner after. Bagged myself a NSD!!!

I had a relatively lazy Sunday morning before having lunch with my gran and then headed home via a Tesco in Scotland given that they'd all be shut by the time I got down. Got in for 6ish and made my soup for the week ahead (butternut squash) and then my dinner (sticky blood orange chicken stir fry). Given I'd spend on groceries, I also decided to use the spend day by buying 2 pairs of glasses for £15, using the code in the MSE newsletter. They were on the list of things to buy at some point so I wanted to make the most of the offer.

I had a terrible nights sleep and so I'll visit the gym after work today. Sage, leek and bacon risotto for dinner, which I've never made before. Got some frogs to eat to including; sending back some clothes my dad didn't like, organising letters I've received, visiting the post office for a parcel I missed and hoovering the flat too.

So the weekend took me up to 9/17 NSD's and today will be 10.

Hope everyone has an awesome week.

Follow my diary HERE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Jan 19, 5:57 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 18,836 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

I'm in work early to make some calls into Asia again. I think this going to be thing for every Tuesday. I don't mind particularly, as this is time I should be getting up for the gym but I just need to remember to leave early otherwise I'm doing a crazy shift!!

Speaking of which, I'll head to the gym after work then home via the post office. Easy chicken wraps for dinner tonight and I'm not entirely sure what else.

I went to the gym after work yesterday, so at peak gym time and it was crazy busy. Everything was being used, and i mean everything. There was a queue to get in to the gym and a queue to get out. I'm not so keen on all that so I was in for all of 15 minutes and left in frustration. I'm sure that'll die down in a few weeks as all the new year resolution people drop off.

Have a good day everyone!!

Follow my diary HERE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 16th Jan 19, 8:19 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 18,836 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone and happy hump day,

Yesterday was good and productive. Finished work around 4ish, went to the gym for a bit, then darted to the post office before it shut at 6 to send back some of the clothes my dad didn't like, collect a parcel which I missed (turned out to be my contact lenses) and send back a letter which was sent to me wrongly. Home to make some dinner and then I had a couple of hours to myself before bed. Played some xbox and started watching a film.

Had a dream that Michael McIntyre brought me up on stage and there was a few hecklers when I went up, shouting things at me and so I was sent to the back of the crowd for my safety. I'm sure that has some subliminal meaning.

Today I've an important meeting in the afternoon with an external potential client. I hate them being later in the day because I find myself thinking/worrying/planning all day for them, other things don't get my full attention, you know? Anyway, after that I'll nip to the gym for a quick run then home before football training 9pm-10pm.

Follow my diary HERE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 18,836 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

Where has the week gone!

Very busy and positive day in work yesterday. It meant that I stayed late in the office but needs must. Went home quickly ate my mussels and left for football training. Probably didn't get to sleep till closer to 12.

No gym this morning, I'll go after work if time allows. Another game of football tonight too although my dodgy knee is starting to play up a bit, so I'm might have to take it easy. I'm making a big batch of chilli tonight, so I'll probably have 3 or 4 bags put in the freezer for future use. I kind of wing it, and just chuck in the meats that like (chorizo and bacon), but it turns out quite nice - or to my taste at least.

I had a brief conversation with my boss yesterday as he had questions about PAYE. I work for a start-up and all of the staff, apart from me, are on contracts. So they invoice the company at the end of the month for their services. My boss told him that this saves him £10k a year doing it this way. Something seems a bit off with this system. Does anyone know more about it??

Follow my diary HERE
    • Jenjenjen17
    • By Jenjenjen17 18th Jan 19, 7:08 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Jenjenjen17
    Hi Specky

I don’t tend to comment much but always enjoy catching up on your thread, I work in tax, not paye but have done some exam questions on the above and your boss should probably be careful about what he is doing.

The above arrangement is referred to as a personal service company and means they are self employed rather than being an employee of the company, this is fine if that is the actual case but HMRC have cracked down on this in recent years and lots of business’ use it as a way to avoid paying tax.

If HMRC were to investigate they would weigh up the evidence to consider whether your colleagues are employed or not. They will consider things like ‘is computer equipment supplied?’ employees will be given a computer but someone self employed will use their own. Also do they have fixed hours? Employees will but if you are self employed you can work to your own scheduled. Other things will be how many different companies do they invoice, if they only work for one that indicates they are an employee. Also a company can send anyone with the appropriate skills to do a job but if your boss only wants specific individuals that would point to them being employees.

It’s not black and white, probably best that your boss gets some advice from an accountant as not a good idea to get in the wrong side of HMRC.

Sorry for the long post, hope that’s helpful.

Have a nice weekend
    J
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,408Posts Today

8,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin