Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 2,138Posts
    • 17,463Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Page 50
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 30th Oct 18, 8:52 AM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 16,311 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Great news on your new flat, Specky.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 30th Oct 18, 11:29 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 9,029 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    That's fabulous news about the flat, and that you got to take your mum so she can picture where you'll be. As a mum of a child who's living elsewhere, DS1 is at uni, I find it helps both of us that I know where he's talking about when he mentions a coffee place, bar, or even just where the supermarket is - makes us feel more connected.
    And the joy of social media means that we message on and off during the day even if we don't talk for a day or so.
    Plus if you book 12 weeks in advance you can get really good deals on advance train fares both ways. You can even set a reminder on the trainline or virgin apps - but it's worth putting it in your calendar too as the reminder sometimes comes in later in the day.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 30th Oct 18, 3:22 PM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 3,765 Thanks
    louby40
    Great news about your flat. Manchester is great and you'll be there when the Christmas markets begin too (although you probably have them in Glasgow)

So are you packing up your stuff? Is your new flat furnished?

Exciting
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 31st Oct 18, 9:06 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 17,463 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    That's fabulous news about the flat, and that you got to take your mum so she can picture where you'll be. As a mum of a child who's living elsewhere, DS1 is at uni, I find it helps both of us that I know where he's talking about when he mentions a coffee place, bar, or even just where the supermarket is - makes us feel more connected.
    And the joy of social media means that we message on and off during the day even if we don't talk for a day or so.
    Plus if you book 12 weeks in advance you can get really good deals on advance train fares both ways. You can even set a reminder on the trainline or virgin apps - but it's worth putting it in your calendar too as the reminder sometimes comes in later in the day.
    Originally posted by joeyjimbles
    Yeah well I am really quite close with my Mum and we share similair tastes, so it was nice to spend some time with her and at the same time, as you mention, give her some peace of mind that I'm not going to somewhere that resembles Baghdad.

Oh, that's a really good idea on the train tickets actually and very MSE - thank you.

Great news about your flat. Manchester is great and you'll be there when the Christmas markets begin too (although you probably have them in Glasgow)

So are you packing up your stuff? Is your new flat furnished?

Exciting
    Originally posted by louby40
    I've heard a few people talk about the Christmas markets in Manchester. We do have them in Glasgow but they're not all that great. I'll be starting to pack up soon, I suppose. I've got boxes put aside so I'll start soon and make it easier so I'm not rushing about. It's all happened so fast.

Good morning and Happy Halloween too!! Living in a block of flats, I don't get kids coming to do my door unfortunately. I like the fun it brings to a lot of kids.

Yesterday after work I had a meeting in my flat with my letting agent. Nice woman and everything seems to be in order. My new tenants will be moving in on the 19th and the transition should be smooth and painless. I won't get keys to my flat till the 19th also, but I start on the 12th, so I think my new work will be putting me up in a hotel for the first week.

I'm working late again tonight and my last late shift here. Doubt it will be emotional or anything like that but I hope it's all plain sailing.

My gran is almost back to full fitness. I think her confidence has taken a knock and she is thinking of giving up her car which is a huge part of her independence. She's now back in her own house, so it's just about recuperating at her own pace

I doubt I'll be on here tomorrow as I'll be down in London most of the day on business. Hope everyone stays warm and well!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 2nd Nov 18, 9:05 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 17,463 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    2nd Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    Morning everyone,

Cold and frosty morning with nothing but blue skies.

Yesterday was my business trip to London. Arrived 5 minutes before my meeting and left immediately after. Literally popped in an out of London. So most of my day was spent in Heathrow airport in all honesty. Came home and was shattered so had an early night.

Tonight after work is my leaving dinner with my best mates. I see them all often but we rarely get the chance to get together at once. It'll actually be the first time since one of their weddings last year!

Tomorrow I have brunch with my cousins, again as a kind of leaving do type thing. It was the only time that everyone was available and I think we're trying some new German restaurant in Glasgow.

Sunday my mate and I are driving down to see my new flat in Manchester. The purpose is to primarily take measurements and after that we're going to watch the Wigan vs Leeds game. Should be home for 8 or 9pm.

A busy weekend ahead. Hope everyone has a nice one
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Nov 18, 8:34 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 17,463 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

I hope you all had a nice weekend.

My Saturday was lazy and deliberately so given that I won't have another lazy day for weeks. Yesterday in contrast was busy, as I left Glasgow at 8am to make for Manchester to see my new flat. Got there in plenty of time, took measurements, spoke with the landlord and soon my friend and I left to go and watch the Wigan vs Leeds match. Drove home afterwards and was in for circa 7pm and shattered.

I've a busy week ahead, what with it being my last in Scotland. Friday is my last day at work which will turn into my leaving drinks at a pub in the city centre. No time for a hangover as I'm up for an early brunch with cousins (which I thought was last weekend!) followed by a night out with all my mates. Then need to drive down to Manchester on the Sunday to my hotel which I'm staying in for the first week.

For today, I've a busy one in work and I'm playing football back to back again tonight. And damn, I just realised I forgot to defrost some dinner!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 5th Nov 18, 6:05 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 35,354 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Wow - I can't believe how busy you are Speky and how fast this has all moved.
    Enjoy your last week in Scotland.
    November in NY #20 NSD = 9 1 debt vs 100 days £328.51/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Nov 18, 8:22 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 17,463 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Wow - I can't believe how busy you are Speky and how fast this has all moved.
    Enjoy your last week in Scotland.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    I'm hardly busy in comparison to you!!

Yesterday, as planned, I played football back to back. The first with work mates the second with my mates from home. It was quite an idyllic scene as the fireworks were going off throughout both matches and all the boys were wishing me well. Chances are that I'll never see some of them again! Anyway, I still had a couple of things to do so I didn't get to sleep till 11ish.

Been to the gym this morning and I've tweaked something in my neck so I called it early. Thankfully I have co-codamol here at work so I've popped a couple of those. Tonight is date night with my gran, our first since her heart attack. She's not feeling up to cooking, so I've to go to M&S and buy a meal deal on the way to hers. I'm looking forward to it more than ever because this will also be a our last ever 'date night'. It's those sort of things which make me question my decision.

Need to get a coffee to counter the drowsiness of these cocodamol!!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Nov 18, 8:47 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 17,463 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning one and all,

Last night's date night was lovely. Great to spend some good quality time with my Gran again, in the comfort of her own home. We bought a £10 meal deal from Tesco which was bang average but it wasn't about the food. As we usually do, we sat and nattered away for a while. She wrote me a good luck card, with a little hand written message and £50 to help (which has just came in handy as I've got a text this morning so say I'm in my overdraft!).

I've a super busy day in work today, including an exit interview with the head of HR. I've deliberately kept tonight clear so I can start to pack and clean the flat. Need to start to get my affairs in order before I depart on Sunday.

Damn! Just remembered I've forgotten to take something out the freezer again. I'll need to do it when I get in, so a late dinner it is then!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 8th Nov 18, 9:47 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 17,463 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

Yesterday was a busy busy day in work, which ended in an offsite meeting in Dunfermline. Rush hour traffic meant I didn't get back to the office till 6pm to then drop off my colleague, turn around and then head home. Very frustrating.

Also was angry with myself because I forgot to take stuff out the freezer for my dinner. So i called my mum and asked if she had anything whilst I pop over. Thankfully she did, so I offloaded my frustrations whilst eating a nice homemade curry. Plus I need to borrow from the bank of mum. I don't know what I would do without her.

Here is my current spend so far;
    Changing my mortgage from residential to buy-to-let - £299 and £199 annually thereafter
    Registering as a landlord - £55
    Admin fee to rent a new property - £235
    Visiting Manchester to view properties costs (hotel, fuel. food etc) - £99
    Management Fee for letting my Scotland flat - £120
    Deposit for Manchester flat - £850
    1 months rent - £750
    Rent from date of moving in until end of Nov - £369.86
    Inventory contribution - £60
    Boiler Insurance (now a monthly cost) - £15.49

Total - £2,853.35

It's worth remembering that my new job are giving me a £2k relocation package, which I receive after 1 months service. So as soon as I receive it, I'll be giving it to my mum. I also owe her some money from earlier in the year but this new job should allow me to save it and pay it back quickly which I'm really looking forward to.

Long story but tonight some of my colleagues and I are heading out to have dinner and drinks with a colleague who was 'released of their duties' very suddenly last week. He was much senior than us and came as a shock but we all maintain he's being made a scapegoat. Anyway, I won't stay long as I need to start packing tonight.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Nov 18, 6:25 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 35,354 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    That's great news on the relocation package Speky - it will certainly make life a bit easier.
    Emjoy your dinner tonight, and good luck getting the packing done...
    November in NY #20 NSD = 9 1 debt vs 100 days £328.51/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Nov 18, 12:25 PM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 17,463 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning ,

A very late check in for due to a change in morning routine. Today is my last day for current employer and some of us caught up for a coffee early this morning in Tim Hortons. This was only do-able because I've not taken the car as tonight is my leaving do. I don't like the fuss but it is nice to see to everyone in a more relaxed environment. It's been a great 2 years and I've came on leaps and bounds in my career during the time due to being thrown in the deep end I suppose.

Night out tonight means I'll get the last train home at circa 11.30. Tomorrow morning is brunch at 10.30 with my cousins, then nip back to the office and collect my things for the final time before heading home, packing and getting ready for another night out with my friends from home.

Sunday I leave for Manchester around noon to check in to my hotel and get ready for my first week in my new job. It's all go!
    • Jenjenjen17
    • By Jenjenjen17 10th Nov 18, 9:38 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Jenjenjen17
    Good luck Specky, hope it all goes well!
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 10th Nov 18, 9:49 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    I'm a Mancunian, living in London but I know which one I'd choose if I had the choice!
    Good luck (oh and pack your umbrella!)
    Savings End October 2018 £2240.13
    September 2018 £986.09
    October 2018 £1254.04
    November 2018
    December 2018
    January 2019
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Nov 18, 8:31 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 17,463 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good luck Specky, hope it all goes well!
    Originally posted by Jenjenjen17
    Thank you!

I'm a Mancunian, living in London but I know which one I'd choose if I had the choice!
    Good luck (oh and pack your umbrella!)
    Originally posted by zippygeorgeandben
    Umbrella?! Surely not?! That's half the reason I left Scotland.

Good morning everyone,

Reporting to you live from Manchester!!

After a busy few days last week with various leaving parties/drinks/dinners, I drove down on Sunday to stay in a local hotel for the first week, just until I get the keys to my flat.

So yesterday was my first day in the new job. It's a small office that I share, with only 3 other people there but they all seem very nice and friendly. The job itself and my daily tasks are similair to what I did in Scotland, so it shouldn't be much of a shock. The area, Altrincham, is really rather nice, with lots of nice little shops and a market, so I've no qualms there either.

I need to get my MSE hat on as dinners aren't included in my stay in the hotel and I can't afford to eat in the restaurant every night this week. Might have to resort to a Pot Noodle in the room haha!
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 13th Nov 18, 11:48 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 9,029 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Altrincham is rather nice - or at least it was 20+ years ago - my SIL and her family live nearby but we never seem to go there when we visit.

Hope the week goes well. Is the new flat in Altrincham or Manchester?
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Nov 18, 6:07 PM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 17,463 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Joey - it's inbetween there actually which is ideal. I'm a short tram ride into the city centre if I fancy it and I am also a 10 minute drive to work. Best of both worlds really
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 13th Nov 18, 7:40 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    Altrincham is well posh. Hale, even posher!
    Savings End October 2018 £2240.13
    September 2018 £986.09
    October 2018 £1254.04
    November 2018
    December 2018
    January 2019
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Nov 18, 8:36 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 17,463 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Altrincham is well posh. Hale, even posher!
    Originally posted by zippygeorgeandben
    So I see!! Don't be fooled, I don't live in either of those areas

Good morning chums,

Terrible nights sleep last night. Tossing and turning. Still hadn't slept by 1am. Subsequently, I've not been to the gym again this morning either. I might however give it a bash later today, we'll see how I feel.

Last night for dinner I opted for soup in the hotels restaurant which was £4 something. Not ideal but it'll do. I'll be a bit smarter tonight and shop for some bargains in the nearby supermarket.

My DM and Gran spent a couple of hours at my flat in Scotland last night to help pack and clean the flat in advance of leaving for good on Saturday, which was very kind of them. I'll need to get them a little thing to show my thanks.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Nov 18, 8:49 AM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 17,463 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

Yesterday after work I walked to a nearby Tesco and bought some food for the hotel room to save any expensive dining out. I then spent the majority of my evening in my room, eating, watching TV and on the laptop. Was knackered though and so went to bed at around 9.30. Alas, 'the non-sleeping disease' has got hold of me as I couldn't get to sleep till around 2am.

Tonight my colleague has invited me to play football with his mates. Of course, I have no idea what the quality of the game will be like and only have his physique to base it on but I really appreciate the effort that he's going to to help me integrate.

On a financial front, I've completely lost track. Not used YNAB in over a month probably what with so much one of in and out payments, loans, relocation fees etc. So I am just being careful on what I spend. It's apparent that I've became very careful with money, even subconsciously. Getting into debt a few years ago has taught me lessons which I suspect I will continue to use for the rest of my days.

Really keen to get into my flat on Saturday. Then I recon I'll feel more settled. Every now and again this week, I've questioned myself - just for a few seconds. I've spoken to my mum every day and she's been telling me the things she's being doing to help me pack etc and I feel guilty. TGFW said to me (in the later stages), "well it's clear you're a career man and not a family man". I can't seem to shake that sentence. I'm sure this is all part of the teething that is to be expected with moving, but I do hope it passes.

Anyway. I must crack on
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,368Posts Today

8,634Users online

Martin's Twitter