Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 2,209Posts
    • 18,143Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Page 48
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 28th Sep 18, 10:58 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,196 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Fingers crossed for you interview, and I hope the meeting went well. The sun is shining, the sky is a beautiful blue so hopefully it will keep your spirits up for a fantastic interview
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 3rd Oct 18, 9:46 AM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 18,143 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning,

Itís been a hell of a 5 days.

On Friday of last week I travelled the 3 and a half hours to Manchester for my interview which I am pleased to say they offered me the job there and then!! I asked for time over the weekend before making my decision. I also want to give my current employers the opportunity to counter the offer. So, lots to think about going into the weekend.

Saturday my cousins and I went camping in Fort William. With Ben Nevis as our background and Loch Eil as our swimming pool, we made dinner by fire followed by the mandatory toasted marshmallows. The weather wasnít all that great but we made the most of it.

As I was traveling back home I got a text from my mum asking me to call here ASAP. My dear gran had had a heart attack in the early hours of Sunday morning and was rushed to the local hospital. I made my way as quickly as possible to A&E and I met my mum outside who, through her tears, told me that she wasnít looking good. Sheís has an infection/virus which they believe has put extra pressure on the heart and caused the heart attack and so she underwent tests to find the source. She is still in hospital just now and weíve all been at her bedside for most of that time. One minute sheís perky and bright, the next sheís short of breath and feeling discomfort in her chest. Itís been a rollercoaster.

Iíve came back to work today but Iím not sure my head is in the game. Iíve hardly had a chance to think about Manchester what with all thatís been going on. Where would I live? What would I do with my flat that I own? What if my gran doesnít make it, I need think about my mum! What about all my friends, will they slowly slip away? Iím mentally and physically exhausted with it all.
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 3rd Oct 18, 10:11 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    sorry to here its been an emotionally draining few days - sending lots of best wishes to your nan , its an old Cliche but she is in the right place

Congrats on the offer , it sounds like there is alot to consider and its a big move to make
    My first consideration would be do the renumerations work and can you see yourself doing the job , I'd be in to your manager explaining that you have been approached and cite most of the reasons for considering as being financial - Its devils advocate as there may not be a counter offer but if your happy with the other position then you can play that card

If you have to give an answer with all this going on then I would accept - you can always withdraw the acceptance due to a change of circumstances
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd Oct 18, 7:20 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 36,430 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady

Lots of love Speky - so sorry to hear about your gran. Everything has landed on you at once.

With regards to the job offer, you need to make a list of pros and cons. You were obviously interested enough to apply for the job. It's a big and scary move, but if it's what you want to do... Good advice from efes.

Hope everything works out for you. Thinking of you...
    December in the Tardis #16 nsd = 8 New life = new debt
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 4th Oct 18, 9:40 AM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 18,143 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

Thank you for your kind messages. With my (almost) daily ramblings on here, you know how close I am to my gran and it's difficult to see her unwell. Thankfully she had improved last night when I visited. Sitting in her chair and looking much more fresh. She had eaten half a sandwich which is a new record since Saturday, so I hope this trend continues.

Regarding the move to Manchester - I spoke with my current boss and told him that they've made an offer. He asked me what they were offering and once I told him, he said that they'd get nowhere near that salary but he would ask his boss nonetheless. This is exactly what I expected them to say. I've told a few close colleagues about the situation and they all encourage me to go.

I'm back in work today still trying to catch up on things. I'm meant to be working till late tonight but I might be allowed to leave earlier to visit my gran.

Right I'm chasing my tail a bit. Need to go.
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 4th Oct 18, 10:00 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    Glad to see Gran is on the right road - must be such a relief

See where your boss can get too as it may be that an improvement will be enough to keep you where you are without the hassle

However you are a young man with a desire to climb the ladder and believe me once you get to a certain age , these oppurtunities don't come by so often

Don't be scared of it - Where there is a will there is a way
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 4th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 36,430 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Speky - I'm so relieved that your gran is on the up. I hope it continues.
    Lots of love
    • louby40
    • By louby40 4th Oct 18, 8:00 PM
    • 1,387 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    louby40
    So sorry to hear that your Nan has not been well - wishes for a speedy recovery.

Lots to think about regarding your career. When do you have to finally decide?
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Oct 18, 9:14 AM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 18,143 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    CCL - Thank you
    Louby - Great to 'see' you again. I've no firm deadline but they're sending me a draft contract over the weekend that I've to look over. I then have 4 weeks notice to work, so I won't be gone for a while.

Good morning all,

I went to work yesterday and I was updated throughout the day from my family on how my gran was getting on and she unfortunately had a bad day. A poor nights sleep probably started the dominoes. The cardiologist visited and said that she needs 2 x stents fitted but they can only do the surgery once all other infections and bugs have cleared.

I visited her around 7pm last night and by that point it was just her and I and we were able to chat for a bit. During which she told me that she was 'ready to go' as she believes she'll be going to heaven to be reunited with family and friends. I held back the tears until I left the room. She'd had a big day and a lot to take in so i wanted her well rested. While there's hope and the potential that everything goes well, it's a heartbreaking situation.

Tonight I'll be working late for a bit and then seeing TGFW for the first time in ages. I feel bad that I've not seen her in a while plus, with me potentially leaving to Manchester, I would like to see her and make the most of the time we have left - that's assuming I'm set on leaving which is a whole other issue.

I started looking at flats to rent around the £500p/m mark. For that sort of money I'm getting something very small, 1 bed or studio. I've no idea about the area and where is nice, or more importantly where to stay clear of, so I'll need to rely on the advice of my potential future employers.

So a busy weekend ahead and I'm not sure how it will all pan out. Fingers crossed.
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 5th Oct 18, 9:40 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    Hi Speky

Lots of well wishes to Gran , Feeling very poorly will I imangine make us speak as she has so hopefully potions and rest will do trick the bugs will shift soon

I'd be inclined to rent a room short term and then take your time getting to know the area and where you would like to stay once you are there - should you decide to accept the position
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Oct 18, 12:04 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Speky, long time since I've posted on here.

I'm sorry to hear about your Gran, it must be really stressful. Fingers crossed she starts to improve soon.

Also congratulations on the job front! Have you thought about living a bit further out and commuting? You may get a bit more for your money.

All the best.

Chandelier.
    Current Debt: £0.

Check out my Diary
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Oct 18, 8:33 AM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 18,143 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hi Speky

Lots of well wishes to Gran , Feeling very poorly will I imangine make us speak as she has so hopefully potions and rest will do trick the bugs will shift soon

I'd be inclined to rent a room short term and then take your time getting to know the area and where you would like to stay once you are there - should you decide to accept the position
    Originally posted by efes shareholder
    I really grudge renting as I'm basically paying someone else's rent. So I think I'd look to rent short-term and if I like the job/area, I'd perhaps save enough to buy down there eventually. By then, I'll know where's good and where's bad.

Speky, long time since I've posted on here.

I'm sorry to hear about your Gran, it must be really stressful. Fingers crossed she starts to improve soon.

Also congratulations on the job front! Have you thought about living a bit further out and commuting? You may get a bit more for your money.

All the best.
    Originally posted by Chandelier.
    Lovely to see you back. Thanks for stopping by As you know, my Grans like my best pal, so it's not easy but I'm trying to remain positive. Funnily enough, I'm getting some recommendations of area's to stay in around where the offices are so I can get a fair comparison. I don't mind commuting as I always have.

Good morning everyone,

Gran Update: We were told yesterday that she was pencilled in for Wednesday (tomorrow) to have her stent(s) fitted, so the infections must be clearing up. Still unclear as to specifics.

She has good days and bad, but on the whole she's improving. I think the thought of surgery is - naturally - frightening for her and as a result, she made some last minute changes to her will. The details of which I'm not sure of but I know that I've got some paperwork to fill out. I'm trying to think positively and hope that rubs off on her.

In other news, I've received the contract for my job offer in Manchester and all seems well, some slight amends to be made. I told my current employer and they made it clear they would like me to stay and so are going to speak to HR to see what they can offer me - although I've been warned "it won't be anywhere near what Manchester are offering you". With this in mind, I think I'm set on moving.

As a result of the above, I had to tell TGFW. On our 2nd date I told her that I've always wanted to move away and I promised that I'd let her know about my immediate future by the end of October. So when I told her I'd been offered the job, we decided it was best to call it quits. She came to mine to collect her stuff and parted on good terms.

So now I need to find a property in Manchester to rent and also figure out what to do with my current flat. I've no idea on the process to I'll need to call an estate agents and find out more. Perhaps there's more info on this website too.

Tomorrow I fly to London for 2 days on business, so I'll visit my gran tonight and wish her good luck for the surgery tomorrow. I've absolutely nothing in the fridge so might jump into a SM en route home.

Hope everyone has a dryer day than it is here in Glasgow! Is it sunnier in Manchester?
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Oct 18, 5:48 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 36,430 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Congratulations again Speky, on the job. It is what you've always wanted (since I've known you on here anyway) so good luck with all of it.
    I have no idea re your flat I'm afraid, nor the weather compared to Glasgow - but I have worked in Manchester at various times and it's a nice place overall. I think you'll be fine there.
    Thinking of your gran too - everything very firmly crossed.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 10th Oct 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,387 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    louby40
    Congrats on your job. Manchester is great, it's our go to place and we're actually there on Saturday for a night out.

Great shops, nightlife and friendly people. Loads of building work going on too.

Hope you Nanna is ok and recovering well.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 11th Oct 18, 4:20 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,196 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Wow. That's a lot in a short space of time.
    Glad to hear that Gran is well enough for them to get her ready for surgery. A friend of mine in her early 80s had stents put in last year and it has positively changed her life - it took a little while to get her strength back but it's definitely added years to her life, and even more to her daily wellbeing.
    And as for Manchester, well that's a whole new beginning. The connections are decent back to Glasgow for you and friends and family to come and go. It's a fantastic city with lots going on, being a multiple university city it's got a great vibe and its diverse too - there's a restaurant in Chinatown from where I literally crave the Lo Mein Noodles - and loads of sports options too. Also not too far from the Lakes.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Oct 18, 9:07 AM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 18,143 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Congratulations again Speky, on the job. It is what you've always wanted (since I've known you on here anyway) so good luck with all of it.
    I have no idea re your flat I'm afraid, nor the weather compared to Glasgow - but I have worked in Manchester at various times and it's a nice place overall. I think you'll be fine there.
    Thinking of your gran too - everything very firmly crossed.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Yeah, you're right, it's always been ambition of mine to fly the nest of Scotland. Worst case scenario, if I hate the experience I can say I tried it.

Congrats on your job. Manchester is great, it's our go to place and we're actually there on Saturday for a night out.

Great shops, nightlife and friendly people. Loads of building work going on too.

Hope you Nanna is ok and recovering well.
    Originally posted by louby40
    Oh well do tell how you get on

Wow. That's a lot in a short space of time.
    Glad to hear that Gran is well enough for them to get her ready for surgery. A friend of mine in her early 80s had stents put in last year and it has positively changed her life - it took a little while to get her strength back but it's definitely added years to her life, and even more to her daily wellbeing.
    And as for Manchester, well that's a whole new beginning. The connections are decent back to Glasgow for you and friends and family to come and go. It's a fantastic city with lots going on, being a multiple university city it's got a great vibe and its diverse too - there's a restaurant in Chinatown from where I literally crave the Lo Mein Noodles - and loads of sports options too. Also not too far from the Lakes.
    Originally posted by joeyjimbles
    We're hoping that it'll have that effect with my gran too, although it's too early to tell for now. If I wasn't already, you've got me sold on Manchester!!

The last 2 days were spent in London with work, which was really good although I was shattered on my flight home last night.

I received a counter offer from my current employers who want me to stay. An increase of £2.5k which is still a long way off what I'm being offered in Manchester. The big boss wants to see me today at some point to chat through it all however I suspect there's not much he can do to persuade me to stay.

I updated The Girl From Work, as I think she was clinging on the slight chance that they would be able to keep a hold of me. To my surprise, she suggested that we see each other at some point before I go but I declined as I couldn't see how that would help or make the separation any easier.

Thank you all for your kind well wishes. My gran had her heart surgery on Wednesday, 2 x stents fitted, and all went well. She's back in hospital recuperating and should hopefully be let home in the next few days!! I'll go and visit her tonight on my way home from work. After that, I'll be seeing my friend who has bought his first property with his long term girlfriend.

So I've a busy day of catching up today and probably handing in my notice too, so I must crack on.
    • SnuggleBuggles
    • By SnuggleBuggles 12th Oct 18, 7:59 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    SnuggleBuggles
    Follow your dreams Speky. I feel stupidly proud of you!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Oct 18, 7:47 AM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 36,430 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Great news about your gran Speky. Hope that her recovery continues and she's lots better very soon
    Sounds as though you've been incredibly busy this week - hope you have some plans for relaxation over the weekend.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Oct 18, 9:00 AM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 18,143 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

I hope everyone is well and had a nice weekend.

On Friday, I officially handed my notice in to work my remaining 4 weeks and then start a new chapter in Manchester!! Mixed emotions but on the whole. I'm terribly excited. After I had put the letter on my bosses desk, I drove home to visit my gran who was released from hospital providing that she was under supervision, so she's staying at my mums. I bought her a little bouquet of flowers and gave her a big hug. Great to see her out of those horrible hospital robes. She was exhausted and so left for an early bed, which meant that I too left to see my friend's new house. An eventful day.

On Saturday the only plan I had was getting a haircut in Glasgow city centre. My hairdresser has been cutting my hair for 8 or 9 years and given that I see her every 4 weeks, we're pretty close. She was gutted to hear that I will be leaving for Manchester but knew it was something I've always wanted.

The weather was dreadful, like proper flooding in some main streets, so i cancelled my planned golf trip for the Sunday morning and instead spent the night with my mate as we cooked fajitas and had a few beers.

Sunday fell back into the normal routine whereby I tie up loose ends during the day (meal plan, shopping, petrol, tidy etc) then over to my mums for family dinner which, as always, was lovely. Afterwards, we collectively looked a properties in Manchester on RightMove and today, I'll follow up with an enquiry. I'm also waiting to hear back from a few local letting agents today on the process with my current flat.

So I start the week feeling prepared and excited. Healthy meals planned and lots of exercise too.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Oct 18, 6:26 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 36,430 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    All change! Huge congratulations Speky
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

3,521Users online

Martin's Twitter