Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 2,053Posts
    • 16,724Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Page 47
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 7th Sep 18, 8:19 AM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 15,388 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Hello Specky

Hope the interview goes well and you enjoy your weekend away,
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Sep 18, 9:11 AM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 16,724 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Gooooood morning and happy Friday!!

Yesterday I had the physio after work which went really well and my back feels much better already. So much so that she said she doesn't feel the need to see me again unless something flares up. Happy days!

Afterwards, I made dinner for TGFW who came to mine and stayed over. Felt strange getting up in the morning and both getting ready for work together. Never had that before. Anyway, in work now with a coffee. Phone interview today at 4.30 and then afterwards I'll be heading to my grans for date night with her which I'm looking forward to it.

Then heading to London early tomorrow morning for the weekend which will be good fun. I've a short list of things I'd like to do, I'm sure she has the same.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, the insider knowledge has been really helpful
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Sep 18, 6:49 PM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 33,362 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hope you've enjoyed the weekend away Speky. Sounds like it's all going well...
    Sunshine September #12 NSD 11 1 debt vs 100 days £262.01/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Sep 18, 9:48 AM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 16,724 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

I've returned from London late last night with TGFW. It was a lovely weekend, filled with lots of nice little restaurants and bars. The city is expensive, I knew that before going, and I've over spent slightly more than I would have liked. It's fine. I'll manage. Just need to watch the pennies for the rest of the month. We went to one of the underground toilet places that I think it was you Joey who suggested, thank you. I tried to find the bagel place but the one coming up on google maps was on the other side of London!

I love the city. I love everything about it. I love that one moment a stream of Rolls Royce's goes by, the next you're in a hipster square with lots of street food and entertainment. It seems the centre of the world, with every culture possible and I know it's not the case, but I feel everyone is out there 'getting it' - which I find inspirational.

I'm lucky enough to be going to Spain on Saturday for a week. Taken and paid for my parents. So I'll need next to no spending money (thankfully) but I would like to buy them dinner at the very least. I'll do my sums when the bank catches up with the transactions from the weekend.

The phone interview on Friday went well. Really well, actually. I got the impression I was saying the right things and he even said it was quite spooky how similair I worked to the way they did. He suggested a 2nd Skype interview with the owner tomorrow. I'll await to see.

Playing football tonight and I also need to go to the SM for some bits and bobs too.

Thanks again for everyones suggestions on London. You're all awesome.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Sep 18, 6:56 PM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 33,362 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I'm really pleased you enjoyed it Speky - sounds like you had a fabulous weekend. And huge congratulations on the second interview, I have everything crossed for you.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Sep 18, 9:08 AM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 16,724 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

Yesterday I played back to back games of football, which served as a test for how my back felt, which was surprisingly fine. I was kept so busy that I didn't even have time for dinner!

Tonight, I've got TGFW coming over so I'm making fajitas which are slowly becoming my speciality.

Been up and at the gym this morning, then swung by Asda before work, so I'm all sorted. Sat down and went through my bank statement from the weekend and got it all accounted for.

My 2nd phone interview is this afternoon, this time with the owner of the company. I'm told it wont last longer than half an hour and will just discuss my career so far, so should be easy enough.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 11th Sep 18, 9:14 AM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 15,388 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Good luck with the second interview. Specky. Glad you enjoyed London. I've only ever passed through it on the way to somewhere else. Think we should put it on our list of a place to visit.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 11th Sep 18, 6:55 PM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 8,868 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Glad you had a good time. I lived there for over 20 years from my late teens to almost 40 and had a lot of good times. I try to go down several times a year, we have a rental place and friends and family, and still love it. There's always sometihng going on.
    Well done on your interviews, fingers crossed today's went as well.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Sep 18, 9:38 AM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 16,724 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

A relatively nice morning, although wet underfoot as usual.

Yesterday TGFW came over after work. I made chicken and chorizo fajitas which I think are now my speciality. Spent the rest of the night just chilling on the couch and had a relatively early night.

Because she stayed, I didn't go to the gym this morning but I'm playing football tonight. Some basic chicken dish for dinner I recon. I'll also need to start packing for my trip to south Spain on Saturday!

The phone interview went well, so much so that they've invited me to a face-to-face in Manchester at some point in the next couple of weeks. They're looking to move pretty fast, which suits me. During the week that I'm off work, I expect that my boss will have had conversations surrounding my job search so I should come back to an improved offer too. In theory.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Sep 18, 9:42 AM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 15,388 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Well done, Specky
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Sep 18, 9:32 AM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 16,724 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning.

Very dull and grey skies in Glasgow.

Yesterday after work I played football, done all my ironing and watched the GBBO.

No gym this morning and TGFW coming over later. Well I'm actually going to pick her up from an event later, so I've much of the night to myself. Omelette for dinner.

Have a good day
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Sep 18, 9:30 AM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 16,724 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning all and happy Friday,

Weather's poor this morning plus I was stuck in traffic, so not a good start.

Yesterday was relatively chilled until I had to pick up TGFW from an event in Edinburgh at 10, so a 'late' night for me.

Tomorrow morning at 5am I fly to Malaga, so tonight will be spent packing and going to bed early(ish). Need to check I've got all the small toiletries too.

So this will be last post until I'm back. I hope to come back fully rested after a week of reading, eating, drinking and sleeping - all with a little bit of sun.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Sep 18, 4:19 PM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 33,362 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I hope you're having an amazing holiday Speky.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,051Posts Today

7,039Users online

Martin's Twitter