Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 2,023Posts
    • 16,459Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Page 46
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 16,459 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Last night was date night with my gran. She had picked some small flowers from her garden and put them in a small crystal vase in the middle of the table. She's so cute, I could have burst into tears! Steak and veg was on the menu, followed by apple turnover and custard - lovely.

But her eyesight is getting worse. She told me she's going to have to get rid of her car soon, everything is very misty. She's always been the person in my life that I've taken clothes to to get repaired, even now. I took her a suit blazer last night that needed 2 button fastened and she was getting frustrated with herself because it was so intricate. I had to hold the magnifying glass to help, which we joked made her look like a surgeon or a dentist. Not nice to see those you love deteriorate.

Today I'm working all day, literally all day. From 8am-11pm. I don't mind as I've got tons to do. I fly to Gibraltar on Monday for work, back on Tuesday afternoon. My passport is away being renewed so work are kindly paying for it to be fastracked for £100. It's all go!

You may remember that months ago, I was having debates with work surrounding my title, base pay and bonus. I was told that if I get a big sale made, then they'll sort it. Well I'm 99% there in a 'big deal' and I fly to Gibraltar on Monday for an even bigger deal. In fact, the biggest deal in the companies history. So if these come of, the sun will be shinning out the part of the body where the sun don't shine!!

Also, a colleague (who has a better job title and I assume salary) has called off sick for 2 weeks due to stress although, I think collectively we have our doubts. He didn't like the job and subsequently didn't care or put in any effort. Would 'work from home' when we knew he wasn't. He openly told us he doesn't like it, and he's only been here a couple of months. I expect he won't be back. From a selfish perspective, it opens an avenue for me, timed quite nicely with the success I'm having in sales. We'll see how it pans out.

But, I must get on with things. Busy boy and all that.
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 9th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    Good Luck with sealing that deal

Hopefully you will be rewarded with a swanky new title and much bigger pay packet

The world is your lobster

PS I love Gibralter , its like marmite i think
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Aug 18, 8:29 AM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 16,459 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    efes - I couldn't agree more. So fingers crossed.

It's Friday!!

Yesterday was a long day, as I expected. Finished at 11 and was home and in bed for 12.

Today, I need to nip out during work to get a hair cut. Afterwards, on my way home, I need to stop into a SM and get ingredients for making embire bisucuits. My mum has a local community event and there's a bake sale, so I've to make those and mint cake. That'll be my Friday evening.

The event runs 11-2 tomorrow, so once that's done, and if the weather is nice, I'll help out in my mums garden for an hour or 2. Then, TGFW is coming over again. I'm cooking, and no idea what to make but I'll do some research today at lunch.

Sunday, I'll be back working again.

Monday I fly to Gibraltar

Tuesday I fly back

Wednesday I'm back to work

Thursday I'm off for a week to Aviemore with the family. It'll be relatively inexpensive, just food costs really. Really looking forward to just chilling for a few days.

But for now, need to get back to the grind.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 10th Aug 18, 9:04 AM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 14,323 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Good luck with the deal, Specky. Hope it all comes off.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Aug 18, 9:10 AM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 31,788 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Sounds like it's all go at the moment Speky. Enjoy, and I have everything crossed for you closing the biggest deal for the company and being handsomely rewarded for it.
    Achievable August NSD #18 3/15 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 10th Aug 18, 11:09 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 8,761 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Regarding the 'expensive drink' idea - it doesn't have to be an adventurous drink for you, just a lovely location. There is a bar at the top of the Shard, the Gherkin or the Oxo Tower or there are some fab places along the Thames. Or there are 'secret' locations and pop up bars, Secret London is the best source for these https://secretldn.com/

for example!!
    https://secretldn.com/bog-off-5-london-restaurants-based-old-toilets/

This is a great area next to Carnaby Street off Oxford Street - https://secretldn.com/kingly-court-restaurants-guide/

Brown & Whytes is one of my favourites, and there's a branch of the fabulous Cakes and Doilies for take out pudding, and this cool bar is just round the corner.

https://secretldn.com/cahoots-bar-london-retro-underground-tube/
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 16,459 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning,

Thanks for the well wishes.

I returned from Gibraltar late last night. A lovely place. Weather was roasting - mid thirties - and everyone speaks English, they use GBP and the plugs and British too. I shouldn't be surprised I suppose. My colleagues and landed late on Monday afternoon and left 24 hour later. We didn't do the touristy stuff but went a walk and tried a couple of nice restaurants. Lots of lovely yahcts in the harbour too drool over too. The meeting went well but these sort of sales discussions are never decided overnight so it'll likely be a couple of months before there's developments. My 2 bosses joined me and as soon as we walked out the presentation room they both congratulated me on my performance. Hopefully this is a big step toward me being paid what I deserve!

Back to work today, for one day only, before leaving for a week with my family to Aviemore, Thursday - Thursday. It's a lovely place, with very little to do, which is just perfect. Going lovely walks, reading books, good food and better company. What more can I ask for.

Joey - Thanks for the recommendations. I've just opened your links there and I'll scrawl through them just now
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 15th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 14,323 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Fingers crossed for the sale, Specky.
    Lovely countryside around Aviemore and only an hour or so from both Pitlochry and Balmoral. Hope you all have a lovely time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

989Posts Today

8,718Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin