Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 2,055Posts
    • 16,739Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Page 42
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 1st May 18, 8:31 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I've applied for a couple of jobs; 1 in London and 1 in Southampton. Yesterday evening I told my boss that I put him down as a reference and he promised he'd say good things but that he didn't want me to leave and so will speak to his boss about organising a pay increase.

My work are notorious for taking ages, with everything, so I won't get too excited.

Yesterday I went to the gym in the morning and then played 2 games of football so, needless to say, I slept like a baby. Up and at em today again. Not sure what to get up to tonight.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 2nd May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    So the big boss spoke to me yesterday and maintained the carrot that was dangled previously; a promotion and a pay rise if I get a bit sale in.

In fairness, I'm not a million miles away from making that happen but still, it shouldn't have come to this. He did compliment me on the work I am doing and spoke of the positive future I will have but I take that with a pinch of salt and almost a bit patronising. So the atmosphere in work isn't the best at the moment and I hope that changes soon.

With all this in mind, it's going to be a busy week, including working on Saturday so I'll be thankful when Sunday comes.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd May 18, 11:20 AM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 33,400 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi Speky

Just catching up on everything I've missed. Fingers crossed for everything work and home wise...
    Sunshine September #12 NSD 13 1 debt vs 100 days £262.01/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 4th May 18, 8:43 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good to see you back CCL and thanks for swinging by Just in the process on catching up with your new diary too.

Date night last night with my wee gran and as always it was an absolute pleasure What a legend. We sat at the dinner table, still with our empty plates in front of us, chatting for hours.

A busy day planned in work today, so I must get on with it
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th May 18, 8:46 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

My weekend flew in, as they always do.

Saturday - Most spent working but we had arrange a few beers with the work boys afterwards to let our hair down. Managed to catch the last train home so it wasn't too expensive a night.

Sunday - The mildest of hangovers from the night before but got up and on with it. Family dinner in the evening and in bed for 10pm.

Today - Been at the gym this morning and I'll be playing football tonight.

Not got too much planned for the week ahead aside from an engagement party on Friday. Unsure what to get that won't break the bank. I'll have a think and a snoop around on here for inspiration.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Yesterday evening I visited my mum to use her internet - and of course see my mum. I applied for another couple of jobs which popped up. I'm now checking a few websites weekly to catch any new
    posts.

My current work are still no forward in helping me financially and so I've no option but to gain some leverage by 1 of 2 ways;

1 - Continue working hard and eventually they'll reward me for the efforts and the sales that I will ultimately make
    2 - Have an offer from another company, with a better rate, and explain that I'd rather stay here but I need them to match it.

So for now, I'll work on both of these; work hard and apply for jobs. I don't expect there to be any movement in the meantime.

I've a good friends engagement party this Friday which will no doubt end up costing a few bob by the time I factor in a gift. My ex will be there too, so that'll be interesting...!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 33,400 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Better leverage with a job offer I would reckon - good luck with it all... Unfortunately, working hard and doing your best doesn't always get financial reward - or is that just me in my job?

And hope Friday goes well as well, and it won't be too awkward.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th May 18, 8:43 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    On Friday night, you may remember, I had a friends engagement party and I knew my ex was going to be there. From the moment I walked in it felt like there was an elephant in the room. So i took the plunge and went over to talk to her. It was all amicable and very friendly, thankfully. It's been almost 2 years since I seen her last so the water is well and truly under the bridge.

Given the party on the Friday, my Saturday was spent nursing a sore head and I was working on Sunday.

It's Monday, the start of a new week and half way through May (!!!). I've got a quiet week ahead thankfully and I'll aim to keep costs to a minimum to recoup what was an expensive Friday!

I'm meant to have a poker night on Saturday, but given I'm skint and I don't know how to pay poker, I think I'll give it a miss.

Lots of housework to do since I didn't do it at the weekend, so I'll aim to smash that out tonight too.

I've a friends stag do in Ibiza in 3 weeks. I've been saving for a while for it, so it's not going to be too bad a hit on my pay packet at the end of the month and I'll be glad to have a bit more disposable income to play with too - until the next event pops up!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th May 18, 1:22 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 33,400 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Speky - I'm so impressed that you spoke to her and that everything is cool. I hope I can get to that stage someday.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 14th May 18, 2:55 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 1,847 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Speky, long time no speak! Hope you are well.

Everything seems to be ticking along nicely for you. I hope the job oppurtunities go in your favour.

Also how nice that things are amicable between you and your ex. It's great that a line was drawn under it all.

Are you excited for Ibiza? At least you've saved and budgeted for it
    Check out my Diary
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th May 18, 8:57 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Speky - I'm so impressed that you spoke to her and that everything is cool. I hope I can get to that stage someday.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    CCL - Reading your diary, I have no doubt you will. It doesn't happen over night, particularly so early on given it's still raw. But you will. You're that way inclined.

Speky, long time no speak! Hope you are well.

Everything seems to be ticking along nicely for you. I hope the job oppurtunities go in your favour.

Also how nice that things are amicable between you and your ex. It's great that a line was drawn under it all.

Are you excited for Ibiza? At least you've saved and budgeted for it
    Originally posted by Chandelier.
    Hey Chandelier, good to see you again

No news yet on the job front as of yet.

I am terribly excited for Ibiza. I love the island, it'll be my 5th time going but I've never been with the boys before. I've saved but I'm probably taking the least out of all my friends, so I hope not to need more.

My bank has now caught up with my spends from the weekend, which as I said, is a bit higher than I'd like. I needed to buy some smart clothes, which I haven't done in over 2 years. A blazer was £65, a shirt was £25 and new chinos was £9. Not to mention £25 for a gift and then money for drinks and taxis.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 16th May 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    G' morning all.

My bank has caught up with my spends from the weekend and it was higher than I'd like. It was a painful job to update my YNAB but at least I know where I am at with things.

Soooo....lets hope I win the lottery soon.

Yesterday I smashed out all my housework so I feel much better about that too but it's time to ride out the last 2 weeks of the month before payday and keep spending to a minimum.

NSD today I hope!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th May 18, 6:00 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 33,400 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    If you win the lottery please send me a chunk...
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    CCL - You know what, I probably would!

I'm worried about my finances again. I'm surviving ok, but I just can't save which is killing me. I hate it. I hate being back to square one by the end of the month. YNAB helps. I'm saving for Xmas for example but it's not a lot.

I've got some big expenses coming up. I've a bill for my old car to sort (circa £200) and I'll have an even bigger bill in a couple of years for my current car too (circa £2k-£3k). Add to that the usual surprises (car repairs etc). Hence my want/need to earn more cash. I'll get there.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 21st May 18, 8:59 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Gooooood morning

A nice weekend was had. It included a hair cut, visiting friends and family, the gym and a long lie. Not bad at all.

My mum is fortunate to have a front and back garden and as her house is on a corner, her front garden is quite large. She has arthritis in her fingers and she loves pottering about in the garden, but the fiddly jobs (weeding) are a bit difficult for her. So she has a neighbour who's a gardener by profession come round and do it and he gets £10 per hour. But, his knee has went, so I'm stepping up to the plate. With a holiday soon £10 an hour is welcomed.

Whilst my weekend was busy, it was relatively cheap and all budgeted for. I get paid on the final day of this month so I need to hunker down until then. My only potential banana peel is on Saturday in which I'm out for dinner and then seeing some friends for the football. Again though - it's budgeted for.

Until then, I've nothing untoward planned. I'll keep my head down and get on with it all
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 22nd May 18, 9:06 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hi all,

A quick update to let you all know that I received an email yesterday to invite me to an interview for a company in Southampton. It!!!8217;s a skype interview at 3pm tomorrow, I!!!8217;ve told my boss and he!!!8217;s fully supportive. So tonight I!!!8217;ll be busy doing my research. It!!!8217;s early days but it!!!8217;s a job that I!!!8217;m qualified to do albeit it!!!8217;s a step up the ladder. I!!!8217;ll be sure to update you all in due course !!!61514;
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 24th May 18, 9:00 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    The interview went well yesterday.

It lasted about 40 minutes and there were no curveball questions. I expect to hear back next week.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 25th May 18, 10:06 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 33,400 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    That's great news Speky. Fingers crossed for positive news next week.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 29th May 18, 8:57 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    The weekend has come and gone and it was lovely. Saw some old football friends and family, and enjoyed some fine food and drinks too. Can't complain at all.

Still no news on the job front. Keeping my fingers crossed as I've got a few applications in.

I've got a quiet week ahead of me, which as I've pointed out before, worries me that there will be unexpected spends. I'll endeavour to keep myself busy and away from temptations. It's been a 5 week month so I couldn't spend if I wanted to!

Right, so. Better get on with work. Have a good week all.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 29th May 18, 5:05 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,732 Thanks
    louby40
    Hi Speky

Hope you hear from the interview soon. Would it mean a move to Southamptom? Don't know that area at all.

I'm doing ok with my spending & saving at the moment! It probably won't last lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,113Posts Today

7,308Users online

Martin's Twitter