Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 1,947Posts
    • 15,715Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Page 39
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,517 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hey Speky
    Pleased that you're on the mend and feeling ready to tackle 2018. Today is the first one for me too - I'm back at work and really feel like getting stuff done. I'm sure that won't last, but I'm making the most of it for now.
    June Odessy NSD 6/10 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hey Speky
    Pleased that you're on the mend and feeling ready to tackle 2018. Today is the first one for me too - I'm back at work and really feel like getting stuff done. I'm sure that won't last, but I'm making the most of it for now.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Yes, I too am sure it won't last! Lets agree to take advantage of it while it lasts.

Football last night was cancelled, so stayed later in work and then went to the SM for my weekly shop. No plans this evening other than a bit of housework. Woke up this morning to a coldsore, so I had to visit the SM today and get some cream which has scuppered my NSD - Damn!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Not much to report this week. No abnormal spends which is good. Tomorrow though could be a different story as I have to put my old car in for an MOT and I think it'll cost me quite a bit - dreading it.

I've also a few other errands to run, including visiting the butchers to bulk buy my chicken. I think I got 5 kilo before and it lasted me 3 months.

I'll be keeping my head down for the majority of this month to avoid spending. We'll soon see if that comes to fruition.

Have a good weekend everyone.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 12th Jan 18, 6:53 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    louby40
    I!!!8217;m being extra frugal Speky too this month - although had to buy my son some school trousers as he split them all the way up the backside! Boys!!!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Jan 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Louby - I done that many a time. Also was bad for tearing at the knees from sliding on them playing football. It's fun at the time.

My old car went in for it's MOT on Saturday and I received news that it needed some work done - unfortunately. Really grudge paying for this as I'll never drive the bloody thing, just bad timing.

Aside from that, a fairly inexpensive weekend thankfully. Made my meal plan for the week ahead and got my shopping in. Shouldn't have any other unexpected spends until the weekend and even at that, I'm hoping they are few and far between.

Have a good week everyone
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Not much to report from my end.

The MOT payment was £240, which will leave me short for the month. Some adjusting needed.

My step-bro and his wife are coming on Friday for Dinner. How very grown up. Feel's like such an adult thing to do. Anyway, I'm making chilli. An easy option and from a money perspective, aint too expensive to pull together.

No plans this evening although I'll try to be productive in some way or another.
    • CP2016
    • By CP2016 19th Jan 18, 7:33 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    CP2016
    I like doing chilli, it's a good option for an informal meal since it will wait around until everyone is ready to eat. I usually serve it with jacket potatoes as they'll wait around too. Enjoy being a grown up
    ďHave nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.Ē
    Wiliam Morris
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Jan 18, 9:44 AM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,517 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I haven't had chilli for months and I love it. Might make it this weekend to try and decongest. Enjoy!
    June Odessy NSD 6/10 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Cailbhinn
    • By Cailbhinn 21st Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Cailbhinn
    Just spent 2 hours catching up Speky. What a whirlwind! I hope to be just like you and buy my own place. Realistically at least three years so I clear my debt and save a deposit as I'm a wee bit older than you (no much mind!) and want to be mortgage free before I'm 55/60.
    Starting Debt (31 Oct 2016) - £12,956 | Current Debt (31 Jan 2017) - £10,465 (20% paid)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 24th Jan 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    CP and CCL - Can't beat a decent chilli. Super simple and flexible too!

Cailbhinn - Good to see you back and thanks for catching up. I can't imagine it's terribly exciting. A cliche, but if I can do it, anyone can. I would highly recommend YNAB. It has not only got me out of debt but allowed me to save for a mortgage. Couldn't have done it without so give the free trial a go.

I've been a bit absent lately as I was in London on Monday and Wigan on Tuesday for work. Both are expenses paid, so no major hit to the bank account. I absolutely love London and I'd love the chance to move there one day.

The rest of my week is busy from a work perspective, which I'm fine with. It means I can't spend elsewhere.

Speaking of work, they're being difficult on my bonus and it's beginning to look like I won't get anything (after being told I'd get £1k). It's really effected my thoughts on my current employer and I can see that this would be an ongoing problem; with them being tight with cash. I've actually got a call arranged later today with an agency who have suggested I'm suitable for a job in Manchester, on double my wages. Not an interview at this stage, just feeling the opportunity out really. I'll update you all tomorrow.

Working late tonight means that I'll have my dinner here (free). I've also got my works Burns Night tomorrow so again, I'll have dinner there (free) - woohoo!!

Right. Must get on with things, lots of catching up to do.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 26th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    A crazy week with work has left me feeling exhausted. So plans today and over the weekend are very little thankfully, which, in turn, should mean some LSD/NSD.

I've been that busy that I'm uncharacteristically unorganised. So I plan on catching up as soon as possible with cleaning and the like. I can already feel that the weekend won't be long enough haha!.

So, I hope everyone has a lovely weekend. I'll be sleeping most of it I hope!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 29th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning!!

It's Monday!!

After a super busy week last week, I done very little over the weekend and reset the batteries. The foreseeable future is back to normal.

Is it just me, or is January dragging in?

In the off chance it's of use to someone who reads this. My PCP deal with my old car is all done and dusted. I've 2 invoices sent to me. The first is for 'damages' which include a scuff on the alloy, stone chips on the bonnet and a slight dent in the door. I would argue these could be considered fair ware and tear for an old car. The total amounts to £244.

The second is for the mileage. I knew I was over my agreed limit, and this comes to £277.

However. My step-dad is a bit of a wiz with sort of thing and he said that neither of these have to be paid as I took a Voluntarily Termination and it's a bit of a loophole. I'm sceptical. It would be good if I could avoid it, since I don't have the money for it. Updates to follow.

Meal plan sorted for the week ahead and all food bought in. I feel I need to reign in the food spend in February, getting a bit much for a single guy eating for 1!

Mustache. Have a good week everyone.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 29th Jan 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    louby40
    What!!!8217;s your weekly food spend Speky? Just curious....
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 30th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Whatís your weekly food spend Speky? Just curious....
    Originally posted by louby40
    On YNAB, I budget £120 for the month and I'm usually there or there abouts. If I needed to, I could cut it but I rarely have wastage. I also like to make in bulk and fill up the freezer.

I'm not really sure how that compares with others...
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Deary me, time just flies. Apologies for the lack of posting the last week.

So, on the financial front, not much to report really. I've not had any major spends, and I plan on keeping it that way. My budget is looking fine, but I don't really have much disposable income. Even if I did, I'd chuck it into savings.

There's talk that I may get a 'promotion' in work. I use inverted comas because it's not really. My day to day job would remain the same but my title and - I hope - my salary will change. Even if it does, knowing this place, it won't change my much.

I've a telephone interview coming up for a job in Manchester. It's double my current wage, with a huge bonus potential. Should it come off, I think I'd rent out my current flat in Scotland. One of my neighbours flats are for rent at £500 p/m and my mortgage is £319 p/m. So potential for an extra little earner.

This week, I'm down in London for 2 days with work. Most expenses should be covered. But I'll no doubt have a couple of drinks and the like to pay. Not ideal, but unavoidable. Aside from that, I've literally zero plans. Should it stay like that, my spends will be minimum, which is fine by me.

Right. I need another coffee I think. Bloody freezing!!
    • Jenjenjen17
    • By Jenjenjen17 5th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Jenjenjen17
    Good luck for the interview Specky! Manchester is a really nice city, thatís exciting for you.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 5th Feb 18, 7:22 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    louby40
    Good luck Speky. Manchester is somewhere we go to a lot, it!!!8217;s only 40 minutes away on the train from us.

Great city.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Thank you both. I've never been around the city. I've only visited Manchester United and Manchester City's ground. Telephone interview scheduled for 1pm on Friday, so I'll need to discreetly disappear out of the office for a bit.

With me being in London for work (with my boss) all of Wednesday and Thursday, I'll need to do my research either discreetly or before and after the trip.

I hope the trip is inexpensive. I doubt it will be. My work aren't too forthcoming with covering expenses. Hope my boss covers somethings as he's more likely to get it back from expenses than I am.

It's 17 days to pay day. So really not far away at all, so I'll keep costs to an absolute minimum!!

Hope everyone is warm today and avoiding the snow!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Where does the time go?! My God, this year is flying by already.

So where am I.

Yesterday I had a telephone interview with a company in Manchester. It only lasted 15 minutes, so I question how much you can really get to know someone. I didn't really get a good vibe from it either, but we'll see what comes of it.

As usual for me, a weekend with no plans usually means impromptu plans, which usually means spend. Saturday there was lunch and a few drinks with friends. Great to see them and all, but I really need to hunker down.

In saying that, I've another night out planned this weekend, although it's a free bar. So in theory, my only spend should be my return train ticket. In theory.

Aside from this, I've not much to report really. I'll endeavour to post most often and try to make it financially relevant as possible too.

Have a good day everyone
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Feb 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,715 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I restrained from making card payments for a while to let my bank catch up with YNAB and unfortunately I was off a bit. I'll never understand how that happens. Anyway, sorted now and all is in order.

I'm much tighter than I'd like, so I really need to behave.

My black work shoes split, so i need to buy new ones. I've also got a slow puncture so god knows what the cost will be for that too. Aside from that, everything else is budgeted for the rest of the month providing there are no surprises.

I technically owe my mum £750; £500 to help with my car deposit and £250 for my flights to our holiday in September. I'm really grateful for her help and fortunately she's in no rush for it back. Nonetheless, as this diary will show, I hate debt and I want to get rid of it ASAP and continue saving.

Update on the interview situation; I got through to 2nd interviews, so they're looking to schedule another call at some point. The salary is £50k (WOWZA!) with an even higher potential bonus, although I don't expect that'll be easy to achieve. That money is more than double what I'm on at the moment and would sure make a huge difference to my financial situation, so keep your fingers crossed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,213Posts Today

8,032Users online

Martin's Twitter