Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fisharefriendsnotfood
    • By Fisharefriendsnotfood 8th Mar 16, 3:50 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Fisharefriendsnotfood
    Giving up smoking
    • 8th Mar 16, 3:50 AM
    Giving up smoking 8th Mar 16 at 3:50 AM
    It's 4.42am, I've been up since 3am. I decided yesterday that I wasn't smoking anymore. Had my last one about 3pm. I do have an e cig thing but struggling a bit with that if I'm honest.
    I smoke far to much, for far to many years and I keep getting chest infections. I need to stick around for my daughter.
    I am hoping others on here can offer advice. What worked for you? I feel intensely irritated and have right twitchy muscles. How long does all this last?
    I've smoked for over 30 years, apart from when I was pregnant. Which, funnily enough was easy to give up when pregnant. Blue lines visible, never touched a fag??
    I will not be getting pregnant btw!!
    I'm aware this is a bit rambly but I'm trying to keep myself occupied so I don't cave and go buy fags. I really want to stop smoking.
    Any advice, support, secret knowledge, anything will be very welcome.
    Thank you. Fi
Page 2
    • iamtati
    • By iamtati 26th Nov 18, 9:20 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    iamtati
    Try to start doing sport, that will help you to turn your mind and stop thinking of cigarettes.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 2nd Dec 18, 2:15 PM
    • 17,945 Posts
    • 39,870 Thanks
    Glad
    Have a read of this MSE guide on the main site and well done for sticking with it

The no-butts MoneySaving guide
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 22nd Mar 19, 2:07 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Old thread, I know, but I thought i'd add my two penneth.
    I was smoking at least 20 a day 5 years ago (god knows how I'd afford it now), but tried an e cig to start with. Just the pen type, didn't really cut it. It wasn't until I tried out one of the bigger units with a bigger tank and some quality, thicker liquid that I found anything to satisfy the craving. I now find the taste of the stinky death sticks unbearable after the many flavours of vape juice I enjoy. I now have no interest in smoking and haven't touched them for over a year. Although I am quite conscious that I may have just replaced one habit with another, albeit, a better smelling, better tasting and MUCH cheaper one.
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 22nd Mar 19, 2:46 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 10,304 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    First of all, well done

Secondly, another ex-smoker here via vaping. I smoked 20 + a day for 27 years, and have found it relatively easy vaping (at an absolute fraction of the cost of smoking)

The first couple of weeks are trial and error (finding the right juice etc) but now I spend about 10 a week, compared to the 70 I was spending and haven't looked back!
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now )
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 22nd Mar 19, 3:43 PM
    • 36,459 Posts
    • 47,003 Thanks
    McKneff
    Brilliant, keep busy.
    The nocitine has gone from your body forever.

You are now fighting just the habit, keep your mind busy and create new habits...

Well done, keep coming back here. I am 69, smoked for near 55 years and stopped 5 years ago and i am so proud of myself xx
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 23rd Mar 19, 9:25 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    First of all, well done

Secondly, another ex-smoker here via vaping. I smoked 20 + a day for 27 years, and have found it relatively easy vaping (at an absolute fraction of the cost of smoking)

The first couple of weeks are trial and error (finding the right juice etc) but now I spend about 10 a week, compared to the 70 I was spending and haven't looked back!
    Originally posted by stressedoutmumof1
    Well put, I guess that's what I was trying to get across in a less efficient way
    Just remember, don't let the tank run dry. My god, that awful acrid taste of burning
    • nathandev
    • By nathandev 27th Mar 19, 4:21 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    nathandev
    The real struggle hits when you drive past the gas station you buy your smokers from. You walk past the bench you sit on your smoke breaks. You take your dog out for a walk and reach in your pocket for a cig you don't have anymore.

You will have to break all of these habits, cutting the cigs you bought in half is a symbol, but you can always buy more. Your next battle is whether you do or don't.

I'm rooting for you. I'm in the same boat I know how difficult it is. We're in this together.
    Travel Enthusiast
    • sophieppp
    • By sophieppp 12th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sophieppp
    Looking to speak to ex-smokers about their stories
    Hi all

I am a Producer and am looking to speak to ex-smokers about their experiences - why they quit, the various methods they used and any tips of more unusual ideas for kicking the habit, and life since quitting. Asides from the health benefits, have you had more time to take up a hobby? Or more money to do something you'd always wanted!

This is for a series of short documentaries for Vice Media/Change Incorporated.

We'd love to hear your stories. If you or someone you know is an ex-smoker and would like to share your story, please do message me back on here or email me your details at casting@diagonal-view.com.

Thanks all,
    Sophie.
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 15th Apr 19, 5:56 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    K80 Black
    Just coming here for a bit of support - I'm trying to cut back on cigs by vaping. I have an awesome set up and flavours I really enjoy, and I'm having some success with it. Cut down to 13 smokes yesterday, when usually I'd have between 30 and 40. (Rollies, I'm not made of money!) On Saturday when I was out and busy, I only had one real smoke in 6 hours, which is unheard of.

I've already had one today when I first woke at 5.30am - I find the first one when I wake up absolutely necessary. I suffer from nightmares and it's something I just can't seem to kick. That said, if I manage to make that my only smoke of the day eventually, I'll be happy as larry. One a day is absolutely fine!

What's motivating me at the moment, is that my partner and I are looking to buy a house together in less than a year. He's an ex-smoker who has been vaping for 5 or so years. He has absolutely no desire to quit vaping and absolutely loves it. He is very tolerant of my smoking and says he wouldn't mind me containing it to one room (like a conservatory or the kitchen) when we cohabit, but I think it'll be easier to become a non-smoker. Money is also a factor, as I will be on a much lower income when we cohabit. (I get ESA and PIP, which will be reduced to just PIP.)

I have to keep it very low pressured - I'm schizophrenic and stress causes me to have an episode. This is why at the moment, when I really want to smoke, I am. I'm hoping that every day will get easier, and I'll miss the cigs less as I get more used to vaping. I only started over the weekend, and I've already seen a dramatic reduction. Thanks for reading, just typing this all out took half an hour and saved me from some boredom cravings
    • Magnolia
    • By Magnolia 16th Apr 19, 5:54 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    Magnolia
    k80Black - you are doing fantastic! I duel fueled when I first started to stop the stinkies. Used to smoke about 30 a day and had done for over 40 years. Keep on as you are and you will be fine. I only had one rule and that was if I wanted a stinkie I would have a vape first and see where that led. If I still wanted a stinkie then I would have one. Took a few days before my body decided I didn't need the nicotine hit just then.

I agree that the first thing in a morning and one after a meal was the hardest to kick!

Try having a vape first thing - you never know where that might lead.

Forgot to say - been stinkie free for over 4 years now!
    Mags - who loves shopping
    • halogen
    • By halogen 18th Apr 19, 2:30 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    halogen
    I moved back to the country and stopped. Wasn't trying too but didn't feel the need then. Didn't even think about wanting one outside a city. Still get the odd craving when I'm in a big place but that's all.
    • tryin
    • By tryin 18th Apr 19, 2:39 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    tryin
    Allan Carrs 'Easy Way to stop smoking' really recommended. Have a friend who stopped cold turkey with it. He can't praise it enough.
    • Kevin5566
    • By Kevin5566 18th Apr 19, 4:32 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Kevin5566
    I gave up smoking about four years ago when my wife told me she was pregnant. I understood that it would be hard for her to feel that smell all the time. I should say, it was pretty easy for me, but there are times when I miss a morning coffee with a cigarette.
    • MancJonny
    • By MancJonny 18th Apr 19, 4:50 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    MancJonny
    Stopped in Oct 1992. Best thing I ever did, health-wise.

Keep at it.

I know it's a cliche, but it's true nonetheless: if you really want to stop, you will.

Nothing, absolutely nothing else, will make you.
    • SallyGreen
    • By SallyGreen 25th Apr 19, 6:43 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SallyGreen
    Try to replace it for a new hobby.
    Jogging, yoga or swimming. It will improve your health and reduce stress.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,521Posts Today

7,507Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin