Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dicko198282
    • By Dicko198282 7th Mar 16, 9:40 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dicko198282
    Are Persimmon really as bad as the web reviews???
    • 7th Mar 16, 9:40 PM
    Are Persimmon really as bad as the web reviews??? 7th Mar 16 at 9:40 PM
    Currently looking at a Persimmon home, 4 bed in North East, after searching for reviews they have a terrible name.
    Does anyone have any good feedback about Persimmon as I've only read bad so I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts now.
Page 3
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 6th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,765 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    This thread popped up and i noticed that i had commented previously. So i thought i would update from my lovely new house...... but not the one i was buying from Persimmons.

The planning permission issue stalled the build of the row of houses on the incline for months and months. During this time the site manager, sales advisors and key staff all left - all these guys were excellent, helpful and actively worked with the owners of the affected row of houses - we had regular meetings, updates and site visits. The site manager on the day he left, who we had built up a great relationship with, basically took me aside and told me the estate was going to become a horror story and we should run for the hills.

I realised almost immediately the new site manager and I were not going to get on when he blatantly lied to me about a feature of the build the very first time he met me - then tried to backtrack and told me i was confused and got his meaning wrong when called on it.

The second time he shamelessly BS me we withdrew from the sale. (they refunded us everything and comped us too) There were so many issues with the house - which at this point was still only built up to the first floor window sills - and we totally trusted the first dude to ensure that things would be put right. Second dude was very obviously just going to lie, flim flam and bully it through.

I did a drive by a few weeks ago as the houses have only just been finished and the final product doesn't even resemble what we originally signed up for. The house had a porch, garage and drive - which are now not there to allow for a retaining set of walls to cope with the incline - the front door opens into the road - no path - windows and doors have been moved giving it a lopsided look. It's not aesthetically pleasing at all. I have no clue where the owners park - there is no spot that they can without a drive.

I really really want to knock on the door and ask to see the house lol

(oh and to the poster above - never assume anything - everything is an extra - patio - grass - fencing - outdoor lighting - always check - always get in writing!)
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 06-01-2018 at 9:04 AM.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • tiernsee
    • By tiernsee 6th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    tiernsee
    We bought a new build Persimmon in 1999, we are still here, with the original kitchen, which yes does need a refit now but is still serviceable. We changed the bathroom but that was only because my husband decided to drop paint stripper into it.....
    This is the only new build I have got and much less problems with it than the second hand homes I bought previously.
    As people have said it will depend on the development and mine was the first time Persimmon had been in the area and they were directly competing with Wimpy and Prowting, we looked at all the offerings and the layouts etc worked much better for the Persimmon house, finishes were all the same (at least to my untrained eye) and 19 years later no regrets.
    I appreciate that this was many years ago and times change, so all I could suggest is compare in your area to other new builds and if possible speak to people who have already moved into the development to see the problems they experienced and how they were handled.
    Hope it all works out well for you
    • dexterlivi
    • By dexterlivi 14th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dexterlivi
    We had a poor experience. We had found a lovely house in South Yorkshire and put down 500 initial holding fee/deposit. As we had nothing to sell and where ready to move pretty quickly,we were able to negotiate some good deals including 5% towards a good deposit that we already had, carpets and lino throughout, legal fees paid and as I recall it they had agreed to pay stamp duty. Anyway when surveyor went in he stated that the value of the house was 10K less than selling price. Informed Persimmon who were happy to reduce price by the 10K but then added that all the so called incentives agreed would no longer be provided. I tried to challenge this through the site rep and their regional sales manager but they dug their heels in. We did not proceed on this basis and lost 250 of the initial 500 as we pulled out. I guess I could have pushed for the other 250 back as Persimmon were changing the goal posts. To be honest we were happy to lose the 250 and walk away from the purchase than give them another 160K ish. I am sure some people have had a positive experience but ours was a negative one. Blessing in disguise as we went with another developer who treated us really well. As someone else has said it can also depend on your site manager. Ours was excellent and put right all snags very quickly. Our house is in a much nicer location so every cloud has a silver lining as they say. ope all goes well.
    • Denise492
    • By Denise492 19th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Denise492
    Should I sue for losses?
    I would appreciate any advice......a few months ago I agreed to buy a 5 year old freehold Persimmon house. I wanted a relatively new house that had passed all the usual snagging stages but with the security of being freehold. The. searches revealed that the deeds came with a leasehold type restrictive covenant on the property. I complained to the estate agents and said that this should have been disclosed before i had gone to the expense of having a surveyors homebuyers report, the cost of the searches and the solicitors fees - approx 700. Had I known of the covenant, I would never have gone to view the house in the first place.
    The estate agents were adamant that they had no knowledge of this (despite selling similar properties on the same estate) and the vendors also initially said they didnt know about the covenant - despite me holding a copy of their signed covenant from 5 years prior. They would also have had to contact the management company prior to selling to pay them for "permission" to sell the house as laid down in the covenant. The result being I pulled out of the sale. It almost jeapardised the sale of my house and I have had to move into rented accommodation that I can ill afford while I go back to square one looking for a suitable property.
    Should I take the agents and or the vendors to small claims court to recover my losses or be thankful for a narrow escape?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    • 25,316 Posts
    • 93,079 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I would appreciate any advice......a few months ago I agreed to buy a 5 year old freehold Persimmon house. I wanted a relatively new house that had passed all the usual snagging stages but with the security of being freehold. The. searches revealed that the deeds came with a leasehold type restrictive covenant on the property. I complained to the estate agents and said that this should have been disclosed before i had gone to the expense of having a surveyors homebuyers report, the cost of the searches and the solicitors fees - approx 700. Had I known of the covenant, I would never have gone to view the house in the first place.
    The estate agents were adamant that they had no knowledge of this (despite selling similar properties on the same estate) and the vendors also initially said they didnt know about the covenant - despite me holding a copy of their signed covenant from 5 years prior. They would also have had to contact the management company prior to selling to pay them for "permission" to sell the house as laid down in the covenant. The result being I pulled out of the sale. It almost jeapardised the sale of my house and I have had to move into rented accommodation that I can ill afford while I go back to square one looking for a suitable property.
    Should I take the agents and or the vendors to small claims court to recover my losses or be thankful for a narrow escape?
    Originally posted by Denise492
    Duplicate post.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73745841&posted=1#post73745841
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,841Posts Today

6,442Users online

Martin's Twitter