Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 22nd Feb 16, 10:23 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bristol Energy Reviews: Give your feedback
    • 22nd Feb 16, 10:23 AM
    Bristol Energy Reviews: Give your feedback 22nd Feb 16 at 10:23 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bristol Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:57 PM.
Page 5
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 30th Dec 17, 3:27 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    I wonder how Bristol Energy calculate your estimated annual usage?

They have mine as:
    Electricity 3,285 kWh per year
    Gas 4,347 kWh per year

I calculate them as:
    Electricity 1,250 kWh per year
    Gas 5,900 kWh per year

So both estimates are wrong, despite monthly meter readings being provided (sometimes twice monthly). They then make an assumption you will move to a variable rate tariff after your fixed term ends. This has resulted in my monthly payment going up from £31 to £57 per month.

Which means when I leave (which is inevitable these days), I'll end up with a big credit balance that they will have to refund me.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    A lot of suppliers do this when undertaking a DD review, they can't assume you'll go onto another fixed tariff as they can't auto enrol you on a fixed deal when your current one ends. Just call them and tell them you want to maintain your DD at £31 pm.
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 31st Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    I've had Bristol Energy for about two months now - absolutely fantastic. Excellent customer service, good price (not the best, but the better prices are from suppliers I didn't feel as good about overall) on a green tariff. Just fabulous, 5 stars, highly recommended!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 1st Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    Hengus
    I've had Bristol Energy for about two months now - absolutely fantastic. Excellent customer service, good price (not the best, but the better prices are from suppliers I didn't feel as good about overall) on a green tariff. Just fabulous, 5 stars, highly recommended!
    Originally posted by AllieKat
    According to their latest accounts, this Company has some way to go before it can afford to relax.

As of 31 March 2017, Bristol Energy reported that it had 58.129 residential customers and made a trading loss of £8,363,183 - or put it another way, a loss of £143.87 per residential customer. The 'good news' is that things are improving as the previous year made them a loss of £883 per residential customer. I might be a little concerned if I was a Bristol City taxpayer. According to a BBC report (dated 4 May 17), the 'in profit' date has slipped from 2019 to 2021 due to customer numbers being lower than expected.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 1st Jan 18, 10:03 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    According to their latest accounts, this Company has some way to go before it can afford to relax.

As of 31 March 2017, Bristol Energy reported that it had 58.129 residential customers and made a trading loss of £8,363,183 - or put it another way, a loss of £143.87 per residential customer. The 'good news' is that things are improving as the previous year made them a loss of £883 per residential customer. I might be a little concerned if I was a Bristol City taxpayer. According to a BBC report (dated 4 May 17), the 'in profit' date has slipped from 2019 to 2021 due to customer numbers being lower than expected.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    They must have grown quickly this year, they were claiming 110k customers last month.
    • martyp
    • By martyp 8th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    martyp
    I'm still pleased with Bristol Energy after joining in September, they've now reduced my direct debit in line with my usage and my bill from November to December was just £22 and I thought I was quite excessive with the central heating! I'm getting better experiences with these smaller suppliers than with the big ones.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 30th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 7,184 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    Constant lies, had enough
    No key for electric meter STILL, for 3 weeks, tell us it has been posted every day we call up.
    Lying basically, want to swap our meter as they can not talk to our smart meter, but swap it with a standard non smart meter as they dont fit smart meters.
    WE DO NOT HAVE A SMART METER !
    Fed up of telling them this, they have the meter ID numbers.
    Probably why they can not "talk" to it.

Had enough of excuses and lies, there has to be a point at which they run out of road here.

So far it has been 3 weeks of lies, excuses and incompetence.
    Time to switch again before they really start messing things up.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • hilljd00
    • By hilljd00 31st Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    hilljd00
    Joined over Christmas but regret it as neither my old supplier or B.E will pay my WHD now and I've been billed £349.39 in total.

Avoid.
    Last edited by hilljd00; 31-01-2018 at 1:45 PM.
    • RugbyG
    • By RugbyG 21st Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RugbyG
    No problems with them.
    I have been with Bristol energy for nearly a year now.
    The switch was painless & they kept in touch through procedure.
    Since then I have received a monthly email asking to submit energy readings which I have done via their website, really quick & simple.
    Then received bill a week later.
    Had zero problems with them so far, will see what happens when tariff ends.
    • jamieweston
    • By jamieweston 2nd Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamieweston
    Excellent Service from Bristol Energy
    I moved to bristol energy about 2 years ago the service has been excellent, plus the rate charged for gas and electricity is very competitive. When I switched I had problems with the previous supplier one of the big six who did not arrange the switch on time, Bristol Energy sorted it all out very quickly, the previous supplier used to hold on to my surplus payments for a long time and refuse to reimburse me until it suited them, Bristol Energy did the opposite, when I had a surplus they refunded the excess very promptly. The staff are polite, efficient and knowledgeable, glad I switched.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 7th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Just switched away from Bristol Energy after 7 months.
    Had no issues and the monthly bills were always correct. They sent an email reminder 5 days before the bill due date to ask for a reading which was used without fail.
    Final bill has been created within 3 days of the transfer away and is correct too. It used the reading I past to Zog on the 4th.
    The only reason I have left is to go to Zog for a 2 year fix at the same prices that I was on a Bristol and
    is the cheapest available tariff for me.
    Would recommend them to anyone wanting a supplier who offer great service without hassle.
    • NathanielMead
    • By NathanielMead 19th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NathanielMead
    Dreadful!!
    I switched to Bristol Energy just over a month ago, they sent a "welcome pack" stating I'd be charged £53 a month. I replied pointing out I had never used that much fuel - I average £36 per month. But they went ahead and charged me the £53. Again I point out I do not use that much fuel and sent in meter readings four weeks in a row to support this. Again they decide to use their estimates instead of actual meter readings. They say .... "within industry guidelines we decided your mete readings were too low ..... blah blah", what a load of garbage. My previous supplier supported me and showed my fuel usage, Bristol Energy chose to ignore that also.
    I shall be leaving this company as soon as possible, four phone calls, all answered quickly, curiously by the same person each time. Every time I am told my meter readings have been accepted and will replace the estimates, that has never happened. I log into the website, add my meter readings, well I try to, the pop up message says "your meter readings appear too low please check", I have checked, my neighbour has checked! Bristol Energy just refuse to accept real meter readings. Dreadful company.
    • robidy
    • By robidy 19th May 18, 10:58 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robidy
    Been with them for over a year now...apart from chasing me monthly for a meter reading they are great.

Spoke to lady today who explained it's so your bill is accurate and is cheaper then sending someone round every month...explains why my bills are accurate.
    • Oww
    • By Oww 21st May 18, 6:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oww
    Appalling service. Reported my gas meter as faulty and they told me the first appointment was in three weeks, but at least I could have a 2 hour slot. Waited three weeks, then received an email saying they couldn't make it anymore (no reason given). When I called to arrange another appointment, they told me I'd have to wait another three weeks and, worse still, claimed they didn't do two hours slots and I'd have to have either a 5 hour or 6 hour slot instead. Tried to complain and got the usual nameless lack of response. Don't bother with this company - they are awful. Even Bristol City Council - part owners - have now taken their business elsewhere.
    • Oww
    • By Oww 21st May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oww
    Me too. I'm getting out as soon as I can.
    • mylastpound
    • By mylastpound 21st May 18, 6:57 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    mylastpound
    I have been with Bristol energy for nearly a year now.
    The switch was painless & they kept in touch through procedure.
    Since then I have received a monthly email asking to submit energy readings which I have done via their website, really quick & simple.
    Then received bill a week later.
    Had zero problems with them so far, .
    Originally posted by RugbyG

Same for me too! really happy with them
    3-6 Emergency Fund, No96: £1,000 / £2,000 - House Deposit: £11,000 / £11,000 - Holiday Fund: £100 / £1,300 -
    June 2018 Grocery Challenge £61.59 / £250
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 21st May 18, 7:05 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    Hengus
    Appalling service. Reported my gas meter as faulty and they told me the first appointment was in three weeks, but at least I could have a 2 hour slot. Waited three weeks, then received an email saying they couldn't make it anymore (no reason given). When I called to arrange another appointment, they told me I'd have to wait another three weeks and, worse still, claimed they didn't do two hours slots and I'd have to have either a 5 hour or 6 hour slot instead. Tried to complain and got the usual nameless lack of response. Don't bother with this company - they are awful. Even Bristol City Council - part owners - have now taken their business elsewhere.
    Originally posted by Oww
    According to the BBC:

A council says it has increased investment in its own energy firm by £6.7m since November.

Bristol City Council set up Bristol Energy in 2016 and in the last five months its stake has risen from £17.3m to more than £24m.

The firm posted an £8.4m loss last year and lost the council contract to British Gas.

A Bristol Energy spokesperson said the investment will be paid back "with interest".

The firm, which recently started offering customers gas made from human waste, was created to reinvest its profits back into the community as a "force for social good". Last year, it revised its original business plan after customer take-up was lower than expected, saying it would become profitable in 2021 - two years later than first planned.

Also according to the BBC:

Dwindling central government funding and previous financial mismanagement has left Bristol City Council facing a £108 million deficit by 2023 if nothing is changed.

This sounds like a perfect storm. Councillors can not afford not to back this particular horse. I wonder what local taxpayers think about it?
    • Agent Starling
    • By Agent Starling 5th Jun 18, 11:07 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Agent Starling
    I switched using the MSE club a couple of months ago. It went smoothly and I paid the stated fixed amount, £31 ish. Last week they emailed to say that they are changing the direct debit to £47 ish. That is not my idea of 'fixed'. I may as well not have switched at all.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 5th Jun 18, 7:21 PM
    • 3,585 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    glider3560
    I switched using the MSE club a couple of months ago. It went smoothly and I paid the stated fixed amount, £31 ish. Last week they emailed to say that they are changing the direct debit to £47 ish. That is not my idea of 'fixed'. I may as well not have switched at all.
    Originally posted by Agent Starling
    The price per unit and per day is fixed. Your usage is not fixed, so the payment amount can vary.

If you think they are wrong, challenge them. They did similar to me and corrected it as soon as I pointed out my usage was less than they estimated.

• Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Jun 18, 8:02 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    Hengus
    Originally posted by Agent Starling
    Welcome to the forum. As stated above, the term fixed can be misunderstood. The initial DD payment is set at 1/12 of your annual cost. The annual cost is based on your estimated usage and the tariff that you have signed up to. Suppliers will normally review your usage at the 6 month point in a 12 month contract. They use an algorithm to profile your estimated usage over the months of the review.

Charges are deducted from the payments that you have made. In your case, £31 per month equates to an annual cost of £372.

On review, the supplier has increased your payment to £47 per month. It follows that the supplier has revised your annual cost to:

6 x £31 = £186 plus 6 x £47 = £282. In other words, the supplier is assessing that you will use £468 worth of energy by the end of the 12 month point.

It has been a cold Winter so most of us will have used more than our estimated consumption. That said, if the supplier has over estimated your consumption, you will have a credit on your account at the end of the contract.
    • Agent Starling
    • By Agent Starling 5th Jun 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Agent Starling
    Before Bristol I was with SSE on a fixed rate and it never varied, always the same payment each month. At the end of the period there was about £10 credit and they put the monthly up to £48 so the switch has been a bit pointless unless there is a big correction at some point.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

6,370Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This tweet made me reread my 'How to Vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite interesting to realise how little has? https://t.co/lFQaSSqUGj

• Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Follow Martin