Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ikx
    • By ikx 13th Feb 16, 6:20 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 19Thanks
    ikx
    Ikx's Debt Diary
    • 13th Feb 16, 6:20 PM
    Ikx's Debt Diary 13th Feb 16 at 6:20 PM
    I'm starting a debt diary! Again. I found my old one from years ago that I abandoned, and it reads as if I wrote it yesterday. Time to get back on the wagon.

It's the fear of money - the fear that comes with never having had enough growing up. I feel out of control, and destitute. I'm afraid because we grew up poor. Breaking the cycle comes from being honest about it, reaching out and admitting that I need help, and I need to come clean.

This is upsetting to me. My money and the lack of it is wrapped up with these feelings. Breaking free means dealing with my depression and trying to do something different - every day, a little bit at a time. This is progress. Here I am.
Page 1
    • Cat Loving Lady
    • By Cat Loving Lady 13th Feb 16, 6:29 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Cat Loving Lady
    • 13th Feb 16, 6:29 PM
    • 13th Feb 16, 6:29 PM
    It's a good start. Keep it going. I have been, am still to a certain degree in the same position but now 3/4 of the way there. Good luck.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 13th Feb 16, 6:36 PM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 11,216 Thanks
    Florence J
    • 13th Feb 16, 6:36 PM
    • 13th Feb 16, 6:36 PM
    Good luck, you've made the first step, keep going.
    • ikx
    • By ikx 20th Dec 16, 11:43 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    ikx
    • 20th Dec 16, 11:43 AM
    I've Started A Budget
    • 20th Dec 16, 11:43 AM
    Who would have thought I could do such a thing? Not me. I've spent the last few months recoiling in horror at my financial situation, looking away (and hoping it goes away), living day-to-day. It always seems to come as a surprise when - shocker! - I have no money. It might only be Day 5, but that's five days improved on anything I have managed for a long, long time.
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 20th Dec 16, 1:00 PM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    • 20th Dec 16, 1:00 PM
    • 20th Dec 16, 1:00 PM
    Who would have thought I could do such a thing? Not me. I've spent the last few months recoiling in horror at my financial situation, looking away (and hoping it goes away), living day-to-day. It always seems to come as a surprise when - shocker! - I have no money. It might only be Day 5, but that's five days improved on anything I have managed for a long, long time.
    Originally posted by ikx

Fab news! Keep it up! x
    LBM ,- Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225 PAID OFF
    *DEBT FREE 28th September 2015*

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Dec 16, 10:18 PM
    • 58,822 Posts
    • 243,971 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 20th Dec 16, 10:18 PM
    • 20th Dec 16, 10:18 PM
    Shiney new diary
    Keep posting!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • ikx
    • By ikx 22nd Dec 16, 2:21 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    ikx
    • 22nd Dec 16, 2:21 PM
    The Margins
    • 22nd Dec 16, 2:21 PM
    I may be skint but today, hallelujah, I know where my money actually went. I find that small step quite amazing. Even as I am managing hand-to-mouth, I feel more in control of my financial life than I have at any time this year - and all because I made a budget and stuck to it.
    I'll tell you something for free: it's a bloody expensive world out there. Milk went up 20 pence at my corner shop, and I was crestfallen. Everything is slowly creeping up. Is it Brexit? Maybe, but whatever: the pound in my pocket feels a bit less weighty then it used to, like old gold coins with the edges shaved off.
    How are people surviving? There's a whole world out there, with people close to the edge - people who have fallen over the edge - that you just don't see on television and newspapers unless they are being mocked on Benefits Street and the Daily Mail. How do people get by? They are being pushed to the margins, and into the shadows.
    • ikx
    • By ikx 23rd Dec 16, 3:38 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    ikx
    • 23rd Dec 16, 3:38 AM
    Plugging The Holes.
    • 23rd Dec 16, 3:38 AM
    Feeling pleased. I've just cancelled a web service and saved £8 a month. That's a good feeling. My ship is a boat that leaks money, and I must plug the holes. Better financial times lay ahead, one day at a time.
    • ikx
    • By ikx 11th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    ikx
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    Driving without a seat-belt with your eyes closed
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    I think this thread, publicly declaring how much you owe, is really brave. It's about accountability - to yourself, to the community of people who care here, ultimately bettering yourself and the lives of those around you.. A mirror to myself, will it keep me honest? I spend money as if in a dream, unable to look at my bank balance, hoping that there's something still in there by the end of the week - or at worst, end of the day.

Entity #1, £1,500
    Entity #2, £4757.96
    Landlord, £600
    Entity #3, £750
    Council Tax, £850
    Person #1, £500
    Person #2, £500

Total, £9,457.96

That's a grand, no-fun total. Hey, at least I know now. I've never actually done this before - which is like driving without a seat-belt with your eyes closed. Can it possibly end in anything other than a financial car-crash?
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 11th Aug 18, 3:34 PM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 9,273 Thanks
    phizzimum
    Well done ikx

I know it feels scary, but actually driving with your eyes closed is what you’ve been doing up to this point.

By listing your debts you’ve pulled over to a lay by, put your seatbelt on and cleared your windscreen. Now you just need a map to work out what direction to go in, but as long as your eyes are on the road you’ll get there just fine.
    weaving through the chaos...
    • ftbwannabe
    • By ftbwannabe 11th Aug 18, 4:42 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    ftbwannabe
    Well done, writing it down is magic. And we CAN break the cycle. I grew up so used to having nothing & my mum using debt to keep us afloat, it's a wrench to change that way of thining & keep hold of my money for more than 5 minutes. But people change every day and you can too. Congrats on totting it all up, now watch those numbers get smaller every month...
    saving for house-buying costs £1902
    emergency fund £250//1330
    debts £1295/£17,484 |
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,983Posts Today

6,532Users online

Martin's Twitter