Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Nice People Thread No. 15, a Cyber Summer

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Pyxis wrote: »
    In my day, ALL grammar schools taught it. Nowt posh about it!

In addition, Latin forms the basis of a very large part of our language, and in fact of all the Romance languages of Europe, so is very useful when learning and using English as well as when learning other languages.

In addition, Latin and the Roman occupation is a large part of English history, (not so much of Welsh, Scottish and Irish history) so leads to an understanding of all sorts of things about our country and culture.

To be honest, I would also have liked to learn more about the other influences on our language and history, ie. the Danelaw input, and influences of other invaders. I only had a very cursory introduction to that at primary school.

I did learn a fair bit from the recent "The Last Kingdom" though, and eagerly await the next series! :D

I doubt that having Latin 'O' Level or GCSE would sway many employers to favour you over someone else! :D

We also don't have grammar schools.....we used to but it became a normal high school decades ago, years before I went to it.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 15 September 2016 at 12:00PM
    Will catch up later on, it's been a busy week and a bit.

Please don't quote below, as whilst nothing there is commercially confidential, it will be disappearing later.......

[Removed stuff]

.......heading to bed shortly before I go crazy.
    💙💛 💔
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Thanks for the book recommendation Lydia. I have read all of the Ariely books and enjoyed Nudge, so I suspect I'd enjoy that too. I've been reading Ben Goldacre of late, also v enjoyable.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 September 2016 at 7:17AM
    ... get sucked in and ripped off :)

It's only 5k. You probably do more than that when handbag shopping!

The pounding your joints get from running, especially on Tarmac surfaces, is far greater than just plodding around the shops, even if the distances you do with the latter are greater.

Those stress patterns then translate up the leg to the knee, hip and spine.

5k may not be a huge distance, but if run regularly, could still result in RSI-type problems, not just in the feet, but in the other joints mentioned, too.

Running on grass is better, but even that can cause problems.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    edited 15 September 2016 at 7:38AM
    I do a lot of walking. While I could happily walk a reasonable distance in a comfy pair of work shoes, if I do it regularly, then I Definitely need a good pair of walking shoes. We were in Barcelona for the weekend and walking about 8 hours per day round the parks and streets, even round the art galleries. Would not have been able without a decent pair. Running is even more important. As a one off, not too important, but becomes more so when sustained.

The highlight of the weekend was watching the human towers being built. They were seven people tall and do that barefoot. They started climbing down at one point and I thought their tower was completed, but they left a seven story tower with the top five storeys consisting of a single person on top of the person below.
    The top person was a small child. It was really impressive.

Each group has their own identity. We saw the Barcelona tower makers who wore maroon, and the Vilfrancs makers who made the single tour and wore green.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/11834654/Exclusive-360-degree-view-of-Catalonias-human-towers.html
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Wow, viva, it looks amazing!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Pyxis wrote: »
    The pounding your joints get from running, especially on Tarmac surfaces, is far greater than just plodding around the shops, even if the distances you do with the latter are greater.

Those stress patterns then translate up the leg to the knee, hip and spine.

5k may not be a huge distance, but if run regularly, could still result in RSI-type problems, not just in the feet, but in the other joints mentioned, too.

Running on grass is better, but even that can cause problems.

A friend with a tye of arthritis can't walk on grass but can walk long distances on hard surfaces like tarmac.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    zagubov wrote: »
    Playing catch-up here. All my life as a parent I've lived in boroughs that have grammar schools. One child went to one and the other ended up at the local comp. Both were perfectly fine. Didn't get any impression that the grammar was any better-run or better-staffed than the comp. In fact Ofsted rated the comp a grade higher than the grammar.

Did the child at the comp feel rejected?

DS1 at the grammar struggled in gcse years, he worried that his grades would look pathetic compared to the many academically gifted kids around. Once his decent results arrived it gave him his confidence back and he chose to stay there for sixth form.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We have 4 grammar schools, and the others are described as "all-ability schools". Two of these are single-sex, and the girls' one gets rather better results than the boys' one.

DGS is a whizz at maths, ICT and science but struggles with English - we're not sure whether that might improve as his brain matures (he is the youngest in his year.) . If he goes to a grammar school he will probably struggle with all the writing he'll have to do. If he doesn't, he will probably not reach his potential. I suppose he'd be a prime candidate for a proper comp, if we had one.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just picked the very first crop from my garden - that was of my own planting, the strawberries and raspberries were left by the previous owner.

Back in July the garden centre had summer/autumn planting seed potatoes so, as I'd prepared the veggie patch but had nothing to go in it till next spring, I thought I'd give them a try. Bought a couple of packs (9 in each) and planted them on 25/07. They all came up and I gradually earthed them up,and up, and up - then left them to see how they'd do.

Although they'd only recently started to flower, it's been rather windy lately and some of the plants had started to collapse. When I looked this morning a couple had completely fallen over and it looks like the foliage on the rest is starting to die back, so I dug up the two which had fallen to see what I'd got - about a pound each of Duke of Yorks and Pentland Javelin new spuds, yippee.

The Dukes have gone in a cardboard box filled with dry compost to see how they store in that, whilst the Javelins are for cooking and eating tonight ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure