Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Nice People Thread No. 15, a Cyber Summer

Comments

• chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

From what I've found so far, some are early, some mid and some late flowering. Mine definitely aren't the one in the Unwins link, as mine aren't bulbous but grow from rhizomes.

I think I'll leave them a month or two in case they are late-flowering ones, then look at hoiking them out and dividing the rhizomes ready for next year.

Looks like they are easy to transplant so I may use some of them to fill in the gaps between the roses I planted a few weeks ago, instead of (as I've done this year) using annual bedding plants.
  • chris_m
    Pyxis wrote: »

Cheers, that's helpful - I suspect that mine are not flowering either because it's too early for this variety, or because they are too crowded and need splitting, or they are planted too deeply (note to self, scrape the compost back off the rhizomes), or that they were until last week rather clogged with weeds.
  • chris_m
    I should crack on and dig out/lay the foundations for the gabions I'd like .... but I've not even worked out what I'll fill them with, so it seems a bit daft to get started.

There's always tomorrow :p:p:p
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    michaels wrote: »
    air source heat pump, photo voltaic(solar panels)

NP advice please.

Our £260 indes(h)it dishwasher broke afer 22 months. Tesco have declared it a write-off and offered us an 'economic value' of £100 which on a straightline depreciaton suggests the machine has a life expectancy of 3 years.

From the error codes it looks like it requires a new heater element costing £43 plus fitting (about £60 call out fee?). So the options seem to be:
    Buy the element and fit myself (hard work and risk it doesn't fix it. Cost 43
    Get a man to fix it cost about 100
    Buy a new dishwasher - anything from 150 upwards, same model is about 200 now plus potentially add on a warranty, 4 years is about 50 quid.

Thoughts?

Have you tried getting the thermostat out and cleaning with Viacal?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    michaels, its an Indesit. Next time by a bosch. Slightly more expensive but should last longer. I wouldn't waste money repairing an Indesit.

chris, looks like gladioli leaves to me.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • chris_m
    silvercar wrote: »
    chris, looks like gladioli leaves to me.

Thanks, but I'm inclined to the suggestion of them being Irises.
    From what I can see the two foliages do look similar, Gladioli being in the Iris family - however, what I have definitely has rhizomes, whereas Gladioli apparently come from things called corms, somewhat like flat-bottomed bulbs.
  • oldandhappy
    oldandhappy Posts: 966 Forumite
    iris's 100percent....they spread or you can cut into them and transplant elsewhere if you want more or give them away is always a nice way. I do lots of cuttings from shrubs and when they take root and grow I give lots away...its nice to propagate....
    calcare or similar we use to clean taps and shower the calcium in the water is high so white film happens....calgon in the washing machine. We have high water pressure here so you can get a shower when you turn the taps on if your too relaxed ...that saves time...haha. Have not catched up on peoples postings so hope all is ok with you all right now .regards Dianne
  • chris_m
    iris's 100percent....they spread or you can cut into them and transplant elsewhere if you want more or give them away is always a nice way. I do lots of cuttings from shrubs and when they take root and grow I give lots away...its nice to propagate....

Cheers - I'll see what I can make of them.
    We have high water pressure here so you can get a shower when you turn the taps on if your too relaxed ...that saves time...haha.

Hehe - reminds me of when I had a combi boiler installed to replace the old one with a header tank, so the hot water was at mains pressure instead of whatever pressure came from a tank one floor up.
    It took me several days to learn NOT to turn the kitchen hot tap on as quickly as I had been used to doing - after soaking several shirts and pairs of trousers. :rotfl:
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    My DD starts at a King Edvard VI school in September. Not Chris' one. It's still a grammar.

I rather believe I heard good things about that school at an educational event today. :beer:;)
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    My favourite cute news story this week:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/05/this-squirrel-is-all-of-us-at-an-all-you-can-eat-buffet-5925678/

(no cat photos, you get a squirrel instead)
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure