Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 5th Feb 16, 10:35 AM
    • 2,033Posts
    • 11,160Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!
    • 5th Feb 16, 10:35 AM
    Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free! 5th Feb 16 at 10:35 AM
    Hi all!
    So from my title you may have guessed I don't yet have a mortgage, however I am hoping that will all change within the next few weeks.
    I will then start on overpaying the mortgage and really penny pinching to try and reduce it down as much as possible!

I'm hoping this is alright to start my diary in here? :-)

The story so far, my lovely girlfriend and I have been discussing getting a place together for some time. We started looking at houses (al very small and far from her parents- which is a no-no, we want to be close to them to visit regularly). Last weekend we went to see a new build development and fell in love with a house- less than 2 miles from her parents, perfect size for the two of us and within our budget (from getting mortgage in principle information and confirming monthly payments were well within our budgets).

Sooooo we took her parents round for their seal of approval, spoke with an agent we know through the family about pertinent questions to ask, did lots of number crunching and then placed a reservation.....

....so we've now got paperwork from solicitors re the conveyancing etc and paperwork from the mortgage advisors to sort out this weekend.
    We have re-jogged our budget to ensure we had the deposit in savings by end of Feb (we thought we'd have a few months before we found anywhere) so are ready to almost hand over £18500 :O

I have agreed to move into her parents house and pay rent in mid March to prevent paying rent, bills and food (will save an extra £500 a month) so we should be in a good position for when the house is ready September/October time!

Does anyone have any hints or tips so far?

Our brokers/solicitors are ones recommended by family who've used them and really recommend them and we've sense checked the rates the solicitors charge to ensure its competitive.
    2018 MFW #20 - OP £3846.60/ £3000 128%. Nov: £594.90

Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40
    Referral codes= Prolific- 8JXN5BVG shopmium- ACEAHKFA Shoppix- 57VB13QH
Page 73
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 5th Nov 18, 10:21 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    eBay sales have been doing well with a nice £115 received for our two old fitbits which has gone towards the gfs credit card

Also tonight an old top (worn a few times on our USA holiday) sold tonight so a nice £11.70 overpaid straight away

A pair of cut off jeans also sold this evening but the buyer hasnít yet paid- that will be around £6.50 to overpay after postage and fees which is better than it laying around in the spare room.

Need to iron a few tops and prep some listings ready to go live at the weekend to keep on going whilst things are selling.

Went to both the gym & yoga today so feeling a bit healthier than the weekends exploits- Iím too old for day drinking nowadays! The 241 cocktail & half price cocktail bar list came in very handy

Started chopping up one of the pumpkins tonight- got half done so seeds are soaking overnight, quite a few slices are in the freezer and a traybake prepped for tomorrow night when I get home from silver class. I used some turkey sausages bought ys tonight at Morrisonís (33p for the two Iíve used, the rest is portioned up in the freezer), Iíve added rosemary, peppers, onions and garlic. Gf will chop a spud and add it in tomorrow and pop in the oven for me ready for getting home.

Iíve packed my work bag for tomorrow- reusable drinks cup ready, frozen lasagne defrosting for lunch, apple and the Swedish shop apple corer packed alongside some Soreen to hopefully keep me away from the work canteen- fingers crossed I donít succumb!!

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 6th Nov 18, 9:38 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Evening all!
    Long day in the office today but pleased to say I resisted the siren call
    Of the well stocked work canteen

Dinner tonight was fab- that pumpkin was delicious roasted with the garlic veggies and turkey sausages. Yum! In the office again tomorrow so will make sure I pack the lunch bag in the morning before heading in.

eBay buyer paid today so £10.43 now overpaid on the mortgage so weíve sent £39.94 to the mortgage this month all from interest, eBay selling & surveys. Not too bad really.

Picked up some fresh flowers after work this evening and a few small candles for the gf ready for Diwali tomorrow and have cleaned the house up ready as itís New Year in the Hindu calendar on Thursday- must always start New Year with a clean house and clear mind :

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 8th Nov 18, 11:35 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Urgh, I totally have the lurgy and feel rather sorry for myself!

Iíve been in the office the past few days but managed to take and eat my packed lunches and make my own coffees so an improvement on last week!

Weíve been doing some more decluttering so the pile for listing has grown- weíve agreed we will prioritise this on Saturday and get six items up. It will only sell if we list after all!

Works been pretty manic the past two weeks so not much in the way of lunch breaks so prolific hasnít been viewed much- had a £1.20 survey tonight and thatís it. Need to make sure I take lunch breaks and check the site regularly!

Had a friend Iíve for dinner tonight as itís New Year in the Hindu calendar and Hugo decided it was time for his newest party trick as he brought in an alive mouse. Typical when we have a guest!! I then spent 5 mins chasing the poor thing with Tupperware and then managed to release it in the woods at the end of the drive. Hugo has then sulked all evening

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 9th Nov 18, 7:53 AM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 45,337 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi KK , just caught up with your diary as its been a while, the holiday sounds amazing!
    MFW 21

£77,580
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 9th Nov 18, 10:16 AM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 11,518 Thanks
    themadvix
    Cats! Naughty Hugo!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 10th Nov 18, 2:56 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,678 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Hi KK, I have really enjoyed your diary. I think you and your GF have done amazingly well... I love reading established diaries so I can get to "know" the person and then follow with an idea of background events. I'll probably lurk about and jump in occasionally. I think your diary is one many people could learn from
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950
    zero personal cc
    6x166 for sofas ending November 2018
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 10th Nov 18, 6:07 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hi all, thanks for popping in and your comments.

Hugoís little mouse unfortunately made a reappearance at around half midnight that night

Today has been a bit of a slow day- we went to yoga, then popped in to see the parents. I then went into our little town and bought some DIY bits from the pound shop & Wilkos. We have now scrubbed down some of the white walls ready to put some fresh paint over tomorrow and then we can put our kitchen clock up. We also popped up a print we have had for ages so we felt proud for adulting today.

Normal cleaning etc for a Saturday and now catching up with eastenders with a cuppa.

Chicken defrosting since this morning ready for a garlic and black bean stir fry with noodles tonight.

Overpayment of £8 yesterday to round down the joint account.

Hoping to be able to call into Boots in town after yoga tomorrow and get the gf the Tiffany perfume for Christmas. She has been looking at it for ages but not bought it as she had others, she is now low on perfume as had been using them up so will get it whilst they do their double points event. I checked the little Boots in town today but they didnít stock it there. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Iíve been saving the work vouchers up so will use some of that towards it.

Payday on Thursday, feels ages away. Need NSDs until then (other than the gift on vouchers)!

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 11th Nov 18, 2:30 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Today has been a day of quiet in our home, I had a bit of a good clear up in the kitchen which included emptying drawers, cleaning the liners and then rearranging it all. Everything feels nicely ordered and sparkling now. I also finished chopping those pumpkins which are cleaned and portioned out in the freezer ready for winter.

Iíve then been marking my own respects (of sorts) by reading some poetry written during the First World War- I think Iím getting more emotional as I grow older as could feel myself getting upset on a few occasions. Such a sombre day today, important to be thankful for what we have, the freedom that we have and also that we are not required to give up our lives in war.

Off to gf friends for Sunday dinner tonight, we have got a big timmof biscuits and lots of Indian ghatia (savoury crisp like snacks) to take over with us. Friend has advised they are making a Bakewell tart for after a :

Lidl shop completed first things this morning with £25.60 spent and got some bits for stores (dishwasher tablets down to £1.99 instead of £3.29 so put them in the larder for now, same with some coffee and cleaning stuffs) we also got fresh baguettes and some trimmed bacon which made a superb Sunday brunch for us both- such a treat having fresh bacon baguettes

No travel for me this week and only silversmithing class on Tuesday so meal plans are a bit easier this week- got some turkey mince with 30% off as itís tomorrows date so weíll either do a turkey kheema or a pasta meatball dish (Both bulked with veg obviously) and we got some chicken breasts in tops we have a nice mozzarella from last weeks shop so may do handmade pizzas one night or potentially a nice pasta bake.

Payday is on Thursday which Iím looking forward to for the payday shuffle I need to call Clydesdale this week and check the amount of interest charged on the 1st and update the accounts spreadsheet & app.

Off to have a cuddle with the cats and a cuppa.

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 12th Nov 18, 11:09 AM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Working from home today and having my first break- I struggle taking regular breaks regardless of whether at home or in the office so have put the laptop down and having ten minutes to not think about work and have a nice cuppa.

Called mortgage provider and interest this month was £216.32 which means itís now £6.98 a day. So much better than when we started BUT still a lot every day!

Iím trying to look at spending and get back into some better habits- yesterday at Lidl I picked up a Colombian instant coffee for £1.69 for 100g. That makes it £16.90 per kg which is an awful lot cheaper than the usual coffee we buy (which we buy from a variety depending on which is on offer to bring it under £22/kg). It tastes pretty good although need to see if gf likes it too.

Also tried the Lidl deodorant (65p I think) instead of £1.75-£2 for the Nivea or Sure spray we usually buy. That one is a definite keeper too!

Brekkie has been porridge with grated apple (free from work) with black currant jam (free from recent hotel stay!) and was delicious and much neeeed after a 6am gym session

I need to update my spending spreadsheet at lunch today and Iíve been putting it off- think I have ten days to update so will take a while and will show just how bad spending has been recently. Take each day as it comes and start little steps and weíll get there Iím sure!

• Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 12th Nov 18, 1:50 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    I really like the Lidl and Aldi coffee - it's become a staple in our house. We get through about a pack a week, sometimes more, so the saving really adds up
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 12th Nov 18, 8:25 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hazelnutty- I think the coffee is a winner

We drink lots of coffee too so itíll help keep some costs down. Will have a think what we can try as a downshift next week. All about spending less money but having the same enjoyment.

Just had a cuppa with a bakewell slice the friends gave us to take home yesterday- she made a marvellous roast chicken dinner with homemade bakewell slices (sheís basically a domestic goddess) who sent us home with a slice each and a slice each for gfs parents

So Iíve devoured that after a yummy turkey mince kheema with paratha and a raw papaya salad made by the gorgeous gf. Iím struggling today with this chesty cough a lot, so she cooked the dinner tonight. Iím going to prep a turkey sausage traybake for tomorrow (thinking same as last week with pumpkin slices, peppers, onions and maybe some chopped spuds), so will finish cuppa and then crack on with it.

Iíve cooked a Birdseye chicken breast for lunch which Iíll pack up with a wrap and salad, Iíll also take a lunchbox with porridge and a banana in with me too so I have plenty to eat without going to the canteen.

Need to adjust my eating habits as since holiday Iíve eaten what I fancy including an awful lot of treats....leading to gaining 4kg!! Thatís 9lbs so Iíve basically gained a baby in weight

The bakewell was amazing tonight though

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 14th Nov 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    The week is cracking on at great speed and we are through hump day and onto the end of the week. Yay!

Tomorrow is pay day for the pay day shuffle and I realised why money has been more tight than I expected- popped my expenses through and Iím owed around £120....explains why I couldnít get my budget to balance. Itís been approved so Iím hoping it gets paid on Friday!

Iíve been pretty good with food in the office the past two days- I have only spent 70p on a cheeky portion of chips to go with my (freezer) veggie lasagne today, no spends yesterday. Making pack up for tomorrow as in the office again and Iíll be pretty pleased if Iíve only spent 70p in the work canteens- definitely progress on the past few weeks.

Iíve made a cheeky overpayment today of £4.04 which was the last of the pennies in our joint account ready to start afresh tomorrow and be replenished for the month.

Been out for an evening run tonight of 5km, it was really hard especially with the chesty cough but Iím glad I got out there and got it done

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 17th Nov 18, 5:43 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    It’s Saturday and I’m a bit shattered! Spent last night on the phones taking donations for Children In Need which was pretty fab, just a bit tiring after a full day at work.

Our workplace was fab and treated us to pizza and snacks etc throughout the night and it was a fab atmosphere taking the donations. It was lovely to hear the people who are making the donations- retired folks, little kiddies putting their family on to give the card payment etc : we raised a fab £32k which is great

Payday money shuffles have half been done- money has been sent to the following
    -pension, share incentive plan (£50), sharesave scheme (£200): all deducted from salary
    -£100 onto pure card (gift voucher for Christmas presents where possible)

Then we have made our monthly overpayment- this month it was £340.21.

Gf got her bonus through and instead of the £100 she had told me she would overpay she doubled it and popped £200 to the mortgage

Her bonuses will be changing as of next year to match mine which means she’ll get a fair amount lower (around 1/4 or 1/3 of what she used to take home annually from her bonus). Which sucks but a bonus isn’t salaried so our workplace can change the scheme, given they’ve announced earlier this year of 3000 redundancies it makes sense to try to make savings elsewhere.

We’ve got a big family meal planned tomorrow so have been running around today helping get things sorted as well as helping her mum and dad with some cleaning. We’ve almost cleaned up our house top to bottom, but the fab news is we have finally put up the awesome huge clock in our kitchen this afternoon- we bought it over a year ago and it’s been in the vupboard waiting to be measured out and popped up. It’s not of those where you have the clock mechanism in the middle but the numbers are words and numbers that are mirrored on sponges material so they sit out from the wall. Looks fab now it’s up! Only taken a little while

We’ve also picked up an expanding file today to sort out our paperwork (planned for next weekend) for £3.99 to try and make it a bit more organised as the huge folder we were using has got a bit full and chaotic. Be nice to get it all in order!

Total overpayments so far for November are a cracking £594.90 which I’m so pleased with, heading into December with a great £3846.60
    Last edited by Kittenkirst; 17-11-2018 at 6:03 PM.

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 18th Nov 18, 10:42 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Evening all,
    Finally downloaded the Shoppix and receipthog apps to start snapping all our receipts into- going to give it a try until new year and see how
    I get on! We get a lot of receipts from work expenses so will ensure I snap all of those into it to gain extra points.

If anyone wants a shoppix referral code mine is 57VB13QH

Similarly my Shopmium referral Is ACEAHKFA which if you use you get a free jar of Nutella (I get a £3 credit for claiming against products ) shopmium has the Harringtonís cat food on offer again this week so will get three packs, and also the new packs of iams for half price so will get a few each and stock up. We still have four bags of Harringtonís and two iams from the last time these offers came round and the boys love the food (except the Harringtonís chicken flavour oddly!)

A quick £2.50 earnt on prolific too (referral is 8JXN5BVG) as well as a quick 50p on YouGov.

Slow and steady will pay off with these apps I am sure!!

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 19th Nov 18, 5:11 AM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Insomnia is a right pain in the bum! Iíve been awake two hours now and getting a bit fed up.

Had such a wonderful day yesterday with the family meal- people have been sending pics through and itís locelg for everyone to get together. One of gfs cousins and his wife popped over to the house midway through for a bit of a nose as despite living in Leicester they sti havenít been over.
    Thank goodness we did the weekly clean up Saturday and extra cleaning

Gf is lightly dozing away in bed and Hugo is at my feet also dozing softly. Oscar is on his blanket on the sofa downstairs as he seems to prefer sleeping down there.

Been chatting to my brother as heís finally downloaded WhatsApp on the older handset that I gave him means Iíve been able to send him pics from the weekend and can share a lot more with him. Due to his illness &/or meds (Iím not sure which) he has quite a short attention span so being able to send him photos regularly seems a great way to involve him in our lives more without sending him reams of messages.

Did a freezer shuffle on Saturday as part of our cleaning- found a lot of fish in the middle drawer so planning cod in harissa this week- need to google what sides to pop with it. Thereís a bit of asparagus left in fridge from last week and maybe some cabbage... will see what we can rustle up easily.

Found two portions of soup in there too, so will nab one out for today (Mondayís) lunch in the office as Iím going to have to go in as the frequent IT issue has occurred on my laptop on Friday which means Iíll be locked out of it tomorrow so no point planning to work from home really as Iíll only have to call IT to be told to go into the office to join the network itís happening no-weekly now with weekly password resets needed and they canít solve the issue, super frustrating given Iím a mobile worker so often in different locations and many of them not my work offices. Grrrr

Anyways, will pack some porridge using up a browning banana (from work last week that didnít get eaten), and using more of that salted caramel hot choc powder we didnít like (but works okay in the porridge) and then nab a soup and a kings mill thin (us and frozen ages ago naturally) for lunch. Dinner is a multitude of leftovers from yesterdayís family meal- dhal, mixed bean shak (curry), stuffed chillis and then for after some shrikhand- a creamy dessert which mum makes a bit better for us by using 0% Greek yogurt in place of some of the cream, topped with slices pistachios and rose water. Cannot wait for dinner tomorrow

We also came home with two half drunk bottles of Diet Coke from the meal, which are in the fridge for later in the week. We re trying to cut right down on fizzy drinks so will try and leave them for the weekend only.

Wonít be doing a grocery shop this week as we are away on Wednesday night with work, leftovers tonight, freezer tea on Tuesday after silver class (for me). Also we have ended up spending our grocery budget this week on a huge eggless cake for the family dinner (there were 25 people!) for £20.99 and some pretty flowers for mum for after the meal (£10). Mum and dad will probably try to pay us back for the cake but we wanted to contribute so hopefully they wonít and weíll get away with buying it for everyone

Off to read more diaries, think Iím awake now until itís time for work. Monday will be a very caffeine filled day I expect!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,097Posts Today

7,119Users online

Martin's Twitter