Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • viccig
    • By viccig 3rd May 06, 10:56 AM
    • 248Posts
    • 148Thanks
    viccig
    Cooking gammon for tea
    • 3rd May 06, 10:56 AM
    Cooking gammon for tea 3rd May 06 at 10:56 AM
    Hi, I bought 2 packs of two gammon steaks from liddle @ 99p per pack I was going to cook and serve with pineapple rings. Problem is im not the most imaginative of cooks and
    a) dont know the best way to cook gammon (like i would bacon??) and
    b) what on earth should i serve with them? im really trying to get into the home cooked meals thing, but my basic collection of recipes are simply that - basic and i never know what to cook as a side/veg. Any help v much appreciated, thanks
    Vicky
Page 1
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 3rd May 06, 10:58 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    • 3rd May 06, 10:58 AM
    • 3rd May 06, 10:58 AM
    I tend to soak mine in water a little before as I don't like it too salty.

I then usually cook mine in a frying pan using Fry light
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
    • lewt
    • By lewt 3rd May 06, 11:00 AM
    • 7,492 Posts
    • 9,127 Thanks
    lewt
    • 3rd May 06, 11:00 AM
    • 3rd May 06, 11:00 AM
    i would do them under the grill to ypur liking and what about gammon egg and chips?
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 3rd May 06, 11:08 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 3rd May 06, 11:08 AM
    • 3rd May 06, 11:08 AM
    We had these last night (first time for Lidl's gammon) and they were very nice - not at all salty. I just grilled mine under a medium grill for about 5 mins each side then put them in the bottom of the oven to keep warm while the rest of the tea was cooking. We had them with chips and peas - went for the pineapple rings but none left (boo hoo)

Keep it simple, if you try to run before you can walk you might end up being discouraged and not stick to home cooking. I would much prefer a simple meal well cooked than one that has too many ingredients and has ruined the taste of the food through being too imaginative.

I would think you could pick and choose from the following to go with gammon, to suit your own tastes:eg.

baked potato, chips, wedges, rice
    peas, green beans, mushrooms, baked beans, salad
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 3rd May 06, 11:14 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 3rd May 06, 11:14 AM
    • 3rd May 06, 11:14 AM
    I always think gammon steaks are a bit dry, so I either serve them with baked potatoes and a cheese sauce or make a sloppier version of Delia's Boulangere Potatoes. I would do brocolli with it, but the veg is really down to personal choice.

Pink
  • Noozan
    • 3rd May 06, 11:25 AM
    • 3rd May 06, 11:25 AM
    I like cooking gammon steaks in pineapple juice. Put the steaks in an oven proof dish, pour in the juice from a tin of pineapple rings, cover with foil and cook in hot oven for 25 mins. We like it served with pineapple rings, fried egg, chips and beans.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • Wickedkitten
    • By Wickedkitten 3rd May 06, 12:07 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 2,135 Thanks
    Wickedkitten
    • 3rd May 06, 12:07 PM
    • 3rd May 06, 12:07 PM
    I do mine in a bit of butter and have it with stilton and chips.
    • Philippa36
    • By Philippa36 3rd May 06, 1:34 PM
    • 5,862 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    Philippa36
    • 3rd May 06, 1:34 PM
    • 3rd May 06, 1:34 PM
    I always think gammon steaks are a bit dry, so I either serve them with baked potatoes and a cheese sauce or make a sloppier version of Delia's Boulangere Potatoes. I would do brocolli with it, but the veg is really down to personal choice.

Pink
    by Pink-winged
    That sounds really good

We have gammon steaks at least once a month so next time I'll have to try that Delia recipe to go with them.

I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • Jay-Jay
    • 3rd May 06, 1:39 PM
    • 3rd May 06, 1:39 PM
    I make really chunky chips that are actually chip shaped roast potatoes. Cut your spuds the same size as a roast potato but long and thinner rather than square. Par boil for a few mins then shake a bit and into a hot oven for half an hour with some oil/fat.

The kids have pineapple with their gammon, hubby has a fried egg and me?..... well I have both
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• sarahmelita
    I also had Lidl's gammon steaks for the first time last night!

I fried them in a dry non stick pan and had them with chips, pineapple rings and a fried egg on top. Was really yummy!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    I like mash and pickle..yum yum!!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • viccig
    • By viccig 3rd May 06, 5:54 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    viccig
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Would thank but my button seems to have disapeared again!:confused:
    I had the gammon with pinapple rings, chips and peas (basic lol)
    but I must say was really tasy and I would reccomend Lidl's gammon. Thanks again
    Vicky
    • kscour
    • By kscour 17th Aug 06, 3:11 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    kscour
    ideas for gammon
    Just retrieved a gammon steak from the freezer and wondering what to do with it. Usually have spuds veg and parsley sauce but fancy something a bit different.
    Any ideas will be gratefully recieved!
  • SAP_Saver
    parsnips - fried egg... baby tomatoes - red wine! Big brother, celeb love island and dream of being debt free

Deepest Debt - 13,000+
    Debt Now - 0
    • leni
    • By leni 5th Sep 06, 2:12 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    leni
    gammon steaks recipes
    I bought 3 packs of gammon at the market this weekend, we had gammon steaks with chips, egg and peas on sunday and theirs 2 staeks left in the fridge (the rest are frozen)

any meal suggestions, something abit more exiting than just a grilled gammon steak - any potatoe/pasta bake recipes etc?

Note to mods - please don't merge this, the other gammon threads don't really give many ideas!
    Last edited by leni; 05-09-2006 at 2:52 PM.

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 it's a BOY
    • emg
    • By emg 5th Sep 06, 2:25 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    emg
    I made a pasta dish with left over gammon recently. I chopped the gammon steak into small pieces and fried them in a bit of oil. I cooked the pasta and then I mixed the gammon in and added a big pile of grated cheese and some pineapple pieces. Hawaiian pasta!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 5th Sep 06, 2:36 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi leni,

We have a recent thread on what to do with gammon steaks so I'll merge your thread with it as it helps to keep all the ideas in one thread. As always posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
    • gingin
    • By gingin 5th Sep 06, 3:01 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 8,948 Thanks
    gingin
    I also like it with a white based sauce, either parsley or cheese or pickle and cheesy baked potates under the grill with tomatoes.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 31st Aug 07, 10:18 AM
    • 37,088 Posts
    • 476,863 Thanks
    pigpen
    Exciting things with gammon????
    Hubby decided he wants gammon tomorrow.. so it is out defrosting.. I usually just cook it inthe SC and add either new potatoes or salad.. or both depending on how much I have of each in the fridge.. however this is pretty tedious.. so.. what other delightful ideas do we have??

TIA
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    05/10/2019 48942.75 (2.41% int.)
    • MATH
    • By MATH 31st Aug 07, 11:10 AM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Grill one side and then make up a mix of:

Grated cheese, pineapple chunks, finelt chopped onion or scallion, mixed herbs and bread crumbs

Pile onto the un-cooked side and pop back under the grill to form a golden crust.

HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

3,616Users online

Martin's Twitter