Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,339Posts
    • 7,308Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 47
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Apr 18, 9:02 AM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,148 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's a lot

And I know exactly what you mean about needing more hours, even though I don't do half of what you do
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Apr 18, 6:16 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    One day I will fit it all in!

Iím done for today, I canít move at all. Just waiting for a pulled pork roast to finish cooking, yumm.

A load of stuff moved from the conservatory, ready for the extension build, including burning a lot of paperwork in the fire pit.
    A bit of cleaning done, more never ending washing and a lot of shovelling stuff up the stables and walking the dogs.
    Grandson had a great time naming the new chickens and helping his grandad clean them out!

Back to work for a sit down tomorrow
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Apr 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Nearly forgot, we moved the horses into the field that has been resting all winter as well today. Lots of fresh yummy grass for them, which means less money needed for hay
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 10:26 AM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,148 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Back to work for a sit down tomorrow
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    I think you've got the right idea there
    Retired August 2016
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 19th Apr 18, 12:43 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 4,260 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Hope all that fresh grass doesn't go to their heads!

Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894
    Mortgage now --- £412,214
    BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    BTL now --- £162,143
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 23rd Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Another busy weekend done and dusted. Making the most of the sun and getting outside mostly.

The horses have stopped eating the hay we put out as they are full on grass, so that will save some pennies. I took grandson out on a pony yesterday and it hasnít gone to her head yet

Iím working my way through breaking the shopping up into £40 chunks to get the intro offer on the cc.

The 4x4 passed its mot today with no work needed We are going to get some off road tyres though, tyres will be needed very soon and it will give us a bit more peace of mind when driving around the field!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 7th May 18, 7:09 AM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Nothing much to report, apart from not having time to pop in to catch up!

Lots of travelling about at the weekends at the moment for pupster events.

The extension will start this month hopefully, just waiting for the builder to finish his current job. Then it really will be chaos!

The freezer is rammed so this month will be a challenge to spend as little as possible on food and to eat from stores.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 16th May 18, 7:44 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Sunday was our 1 year anniversary in our new home

This year has simply flown by and the rough plan I had initially is still holding fast!

This monthís goal of eating from home is going well in as much as I have not needed much from the shops, however the freezer is still rammed
    Iíve got a couple recipes this week which Iíve found and trialled previously for using up leftovers. A baked bacon and leek risotto to use up gammon after having SC gammon in coke and from the pulled pork roast we had at the weekend we are having it reheated in a bbq sauce with chips, coleslaw and sweet corn. Iíve been looking forward to the leftovers meal more than the main meal that created the leftovers!!

Iím also in business accounts quarterly manic-ness again, along with getting ready for the builders. We need to go and look at some flooring this weekend and it is also grandsons birthday, so it wonít be a relaxing one. For now though Iím sat with a vodka whilst hubby rustles together the bbq pulled pork - 5 minutes calm
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th May 18, 10:19 AM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,148 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Congratulations on the one year anniversary, EE - it sounds like everything is really coming together
    Retired August 2016
    • greent
    • By greent 17th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 7,522 Posts
    • 76,374 Thanks
    greent
    Wow! - that year has really flown by! Congrats! xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £7127.06/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £721.53/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 19th May 18, 6:15 AM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you KarmaCat and Greent. The year certainly has flown by!

I am awake ridiculously early this morning, so much for the lovely lie-in I wanted. I think I will catch up with some diaries and then start a meal plan to cover the next few weeks.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 20th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Iím feeling a lot more calmer now than at the beginning of the weekend. Iíve been plodding on chipping away at everything and I feel slightly more on top of things. Although we didnít manage to look at the flooring. The place was closed Saturday afternoons even though the website said they were open

Accounts are 2/3rds complete, ironing is up to date, DD1 and DGS stayed last night so he could open his birthday presents here this morning. A cooked breakfast at home instead of going out this evening is also good for the bank balance too!

A couple of lovely long dog walks in the sun has helped too.

Itís going to be another busy week with quite a few extra activities going on so Iím going to make the most of a quiet evening tonight.

I hope everyone has enjoyed the weekend.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th May 18, 9:29 PM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,148 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds a really nice, family weekend, EE, it must have been lovely.
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 27th May 18, 9:34 AM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    It was lovely KarmaCat, as always though the weekends arenít long enough! Even this long weekend now could do with being a bit longer!! I think working less will soon be a goal here

I was out all day yesterday with pupster again. This will feature most weekends now until the end of the year whilst we are working on a qualification. However I did have mse ways in mind, took the opportunity to carshare and took a packed lunch and drinks. It turned out really hot so I could have done with taking more to drink, a lesson for next weekendís travels.

Building work is due to start any day and a job Iím on needs cover 6-2 for a couple weeks which will throw my routine completely out!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 2nd Jun 18, 8:13 AM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Working 6-2 this week has really thrown my routine out the window. Iím quite surprised how tired it has made me! It may continue next week but it depends on the project.

No building work started either this week, so the money Iíve saved already can stay in the savings account a little bit longer.

Accounts and VAT return have been completed

Meals have been a bit haphazard this week with the different routine, so I need to check what is in the fridge that will be out of date, or looking a bit ropey.

We are out to the local village pub tonight for dinner as it is our wedding anniversary, it does very good food, is quite reasonable and just a couple minutes walk. Although we need to get up early tomorrow for this weekendís dog event. Must pack more to drink this week!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jun 18, 9:21 AM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,148 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Happy Anniversary EE! That sounds like a nice little celebration And lots of luck at the dog event
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 2nd Jun 18, 3:15 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you KarmaCat, hope you are having a good weekend too.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 17th Jun 18, 6:12 AM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Iím busier than a busy thing at the moment.

Back to normal hours working next week, I definitely am better when Iím in a routine so Iím looking forward to getting back into the routine.

Building work still hasnít started. Not that we are in any hurry but it does irritate me that people give dates and then totally ignore them.

Weíve been to the showroom to look at the type of flooring we are after and it is even better than I expected. I think we will get it in the kitchen and inside the front door as well. I will need to investigate price comparisons next, but no hurry I guess!

Everything else is just plodding along. Lots of dog events (taking food and drink with us), weíve got a few more points racked up towards his qualification now. Dog food shop and food for us has been delivered last week.

Iíve purchased a few more travel food type items this week to help with organisation. Lunch bags with mini cool blocks to make it easier to take food with us to the events. For keeping the dog food cool, separate containers and a separate bag for them. I also sneaked in a copy of economy gastronomy book at the same time, so Iím looking forward to reading through that.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 23rd Jun 18, 6:38 AM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,308 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Back to our normal routine this week.

Last weekend meter readings were all submitted, there is a huge debt on the g&e bill, so Iím not convinced it really was a cheaper tariff

The meal plan has been completed and used throughout the week with a small top up shop last night on the way home. Mostly for baking ingredients as Iíve offered to bake brownies for the village fete next weekend.

Itís looking like it will be a scorcher this weekend (and next) I have lots of weeding that needs doing both at home and up the stables, so thatís the rough plan for this weekend. Although I do need to order some presents for hubbyís birthday at the beginning of next month too.

Iíve got a few tubs of mint choc chip ice cream in the freezer when it was offer a couple weeks back which will be perfect in this weather

Talking of offers I saw the offer on mse site for theme park tickets on Cadburyís packs, so grabbed a couple packs last night as DD1 is going to Alton towers next month. Hopefully should save her a fortune!
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 23rd Jun 18, 7:01 AM
    • 691 Posts
    • 3,212 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Glad to hear your busyness is getting back to normal levels ETE and here is to the good weather. The summer seems to have actually arrived this year
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

768Posts Today

5,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin