Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • falkirkzidane
    • By falkirkzidane 23rd Jan 16, 7:26 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    falkirkzidane
    Collective Energy Switch Feb 2nd
    • 23rd Jan 16, 7:26 PM
    Collective Energy Switch Feb 2nd 23rd Jan 16 at 7:26 PM
    Hi All,

The energy club has a collective switch and states it will happen on Feb 2nd. Does anyone know if this means the collective switch will be on the table there and then on February the 2nd or if this is when it kicks off and the offer will be made in due course after a few weeks or so?

Thanks in advance.
Page 4
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 2nd Feb 16, 5:19 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Really cheap electricity, with slightly more expensive gas.

MSE BG Collective Fix February 2017
    Gas 2.846p per kWh
    Electricity 8.537p per kWh
    Exit Fee: 30 per fuel = 60

E.On Fixed 1 Year v19 Online
    2.781p
    10.122p
    Exit Fee: 30 per fuel = 60

Scottish Power Online Fixed Price Energy November 2016
    2.674p
    11.022p
    no exit fee applies

I will carry on with the SP 2.674p gas until the winter is over.

The SP January 2018 two year fix is looking very interesting.
    Comes April 2016, the successor product should be fixed to March 2018, covering two winters. The good bit is, no exit penalty, so it's no big deal switching back to a cheaper one year fix, if it comes along.
    • jessmist
    • By jessmist 2nd Feb 16, 5:28 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    jessmist
    Hi,
    I switched to the BG collective switch 2016 and both my fuels are showing in my BG account.
    But the cheap energy club still shows my switch as in progress.
    I have looked at the new collective switch tariff and its a little bit cheaper but I can't switch to it as it just says I have a switch in progress.
    Both my fuels switched over by the middle of November.
    How can I get my details updated on the cheap energy club ?

Thanks
    • youravinalarrrf
    • By youravinalarrrf 2nd Feb 16, 5:50 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    youravinalarrrf
    In a fast falling (supposedly competitive) market the outcome of this collective switch is extremely disappointing to say the least!

I suppose we should all just be very thankful that they had the good sense not to award it to Extra Energy.

I will therefore pass, and wait for: the small suppliers to respond.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Like you I will pass.

It looks like I will be staying with EON and moving to the Fixed 1 Year v19 Online tariff for electric (or maybe v20 following this.)

Zog Energy have recently stated that they are reviewing their gas tariffs and will announce updates shortly so I will sit tight and see how they respond in the next few days (I suppose they've been waiting for the results of this). If Zog don't come up with the goods very soon I will be going to EDF's Blue+Price Promise February 2017 for my gas.

It certainly doesn't bode well for the upcoming UKPower / iChoosr collective switch with results due on the 15th February.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 2nd Feb 16, 5:56 PM
    • 21,415 Posts
    • 15,672 Thanks
    molerat
    Zog Energy have recently stated that they are reviewing their gas tariffs and will announce updates shortly so I will sit tight and see how they respond in the next few days (I suppose they've been waiting for the results of this). If Zog don't come up with the goods very soon I will be going to EDF's Blue+Price Promise February 2017 for my gas. ...........
    Originally posted by youravinalarrrf
    Likewise.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
  • archived user

Zog Energy have recently stated that they are reviewing their gas tariffs and will announce updates shortly so I will sit tight and see how they respond in the next few days (I suppose they've been waiting for the results of this). If Zog don't come up with the goods very soon I will be going to EDF's Blue+Price Promise February 2017 for my gas.

Pricks up ears. I am on Zog Saturn 12. Just a rumour or something more substantive? This energy monitoring lark is fast becoming hard work.
    • youravinalarrrf
    • By youravinalarrrf 2nd Feb 16, 6:28 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    youravinalarrrf
    Pricks up ears. I am on Zog Saturn 12. Just a rumour or something more substantive? This energy monitoring lark is fast becoming hard work.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Had an email response from them about a week ago when I asked them when they were going to respond to the recent reductions by their competitors.
    • NittyGritty
    • By NittyGritty 2nd Feb 16, 6:32 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    NittyGritty
    complete and utter waste of time this "so called collective switch" lol

the v19 Eon tariff unit prices are cheaper than the so called cheap collective switch???

go figure lol better luck next time MSE....
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 2nd Feb 16, 6:47 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    footyguy
    I thought I'd missed it.

Then if I look far enough down the page I find British Gas for a dual fuel deal. I didn't look any further down.

So looked at Electricity only. Eon were not bad, but not the cheapest for E7 for me. But as I don't use too much low rate electricity, then I'd currently be better off with single rate (which I know Eon will do despite the E7 meter).

But it only saves me 2 a year compared to their existing Fixed 1 Year v19 Online tariff. (same daily standing charge and a small reduction in the unit rate).

Think I'll hold off until my existing deal expires in a few months time as I have an early exit fee to consider. Existing deal currently costs 1 per month extra on average over the year. No where near a big enough difference to tempt me to switch today, sorry.

Edit: Actually, switching to non-E7 does make BG competitive for dual fuel (and BG will also supply single rate despite an E7 meter). But still would only save me about a quid a month on average - not enough to tempt me to switch either, sorry.

Seperate suppliers is still cheaper for us.
    Last edited by footyguy; 02-02-2016 at 7:22 PM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 2nd Feb 16, 6:53 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    footyguy
    Had an email response from them about a week ago when I asked them when they were going to respond to the recent reductions by their competitors.
    Trouble is for low users like us is that, based on their recent price changes, they seem to be going down the road of lowering the unit costs but upping the dreaded standing charge.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 2nd Feb 16, 6:56 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Cannot get a quote as CEC has my gas supply marked as swap in progress so no dual fuel option available.

However looking at the few posts above with tariffs costs, the most I'd save is 6p a day and I'd have to pay 30 to get out of the electric contract anyway (gas is free to quit).

Found the electric only MSE Collective and it is 22 a year more expensive then my current Eon tariff (Last September's MSE collective) so not moving to that one either.
    Last edited by gsmlnx; 02-02-2016 at 7:40 PM. Reason: Added E.on electric only option
    • onzey
    • By onzey 2nd Feb 16, 6:58 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    onzey
    complete and utter waste of time this "so called collective switch" lol

the v19 Eon tariff unit prices are cheaper than the so called cheap collective switch???

go figure lol better luck next time MSE....
    Originally posted by NittyGritty
    I'm on electric only ( Economy 7) with E.ON and my V19 tariff is due to start tomorrow.

According to my account in the CEC, E.ON have the winning electricity only tariff, MSE Collective Feb 2016 Online Fixed for 12 Months which should save me 26 plus 15 cashback.

Unit prices for day and night are a little lower than V19. Standing charge is the same. Same 30 exit fee.
    Last edited by onzey; 02-02-2016 at 7:01 PM.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 2nd Feb 16, 7:37 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    Ah just seen the tariff E.ON MSE Collective Feb 2016 Online , which is more expensive than the current E ON tariff that is on there Fixed 1 Year v19 Online
    Originally posted by myxbox
    There seem to be two different collective offers from MSE.

Dual Fuel: British Gas Collective Switch February 2017

Electricity Only: EON MSE Collective Feb 2016 online

The BG dual fuel deal would cost me more than I pay now but switching by electricity supply to the new EON tariff looks like it might save me 10/year - as an existing Eon customer, nothing to lose + the 15 cash back is nice
    Last edited by gt94sss2; 02-02-2016 at 7:49 PM.
    • razord
    • By razord 2nd Feb 16, 7:45 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    razord
    Works out pretty great for me.

I was on the last MSE collective switch from September 2015 with E.On, and noticed the new V19 was a tiny bit cheaper earlier today so was prepared to switch to that, but the MSE Big Switch 4 one is a 0.3p cheaper per kWh, plus another 15 cashback!
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 2nd Feb 16, 7:47 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    There are actually TWO electricity only EON collective tariffs, both have the same unit and standing charges but the ONLINE has a 5 a year discount for being managed on-line.
    • razord
    • By razord 2nd Feb 16, 7:51 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    razord
    Originally posted by NittyGritty
    This must be a regional/postcode thing. It's 0.3p per kWh cheaper for me!
    • NittyGritty
    • By NittyGritty 2nd Feb 16, 8:04 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    NittyGritty
    yup the night time rate is same but the collective switch day unit rate is slightly more expensive than the v19

I thought the so called collective switch was meant to be cheaper than normal tariffs, but I guess not for me

think I will just move to the v19
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 2nd Feb 16, 8:06 PM
    • 6,509 Posts
    • 4,401 Thanks
    csgohan4
    There seem to be two different collective offers from MSE.

Dual Fuel: British Gas Collective Switch February 2017

Electricity Only: EON MSE Collective Feb 2016 online

The BG dual fuel deal would cost me more than I pay now but switching by electricity supply to the new EON tariff looks like it might save me 10/year - as an existing Eon customer, nothing to lose + the 15 cash back is nice
    Originally posted by gt94sss2

You might lose your dual fuel discount from the same tariff so watch out

The mse BG collective is cheapest for me, even looking at elec and gas seperately. South east that is.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 2nd Feb 16, 8:07 PM
    • 5,750 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Just done the comparison - 100 pa cheaper for me to switch from USwitch EON deal to this MSE deal, less the 60 etc from EON plus the switching bonus = 70 "savings" -however, staying with EON and switching to v19 saves me ~ 30pa -so holding off at the moment as I don't think 40 pa is enuf compensation to go to BG
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 2nd Feb 16, 8:12 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    When I looked on comparison sites today for my area and useage (East Kent, 16500Kwh gas and 6100Kwh Elec), SSE, Eon and NPower were all very close to the big switch BG price. However, a few years ago I tried to switch to Scottish Power and had problems about my meter - it's a fancy 3 phase dual rate jobbie, but I'm on a single rate tarrif (my elec meter gives me 3 readings, day, night and total). SP could not handle it, BG can (as can Sainsburys Energy) so that, along with the price, influenced my decision to accept the BG offer.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 2nd Feb 16, 8:15 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    You might lose your dual fuel discount from the same tariff so watch out
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Good point - I will ask the Eon reps. It won't affect me as I only have my electricity with Eon (my gas is with Daligas)

But my brother is a dual fuel customer so I wont change him across until I know
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,303Posts Today

8,521Users online

Martin's Twitter