Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 3,282Posts
    • 20,727Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 82
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jan 20, 4:01 PM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 32,119 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I wish my lazy weekends looked like your lazy weekends
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 20, 4:09 PM
    • 8,043 Posts
    • 60,671 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I need my chill time. When I get in from work I like to sit with a coffee reading my book and hate it if Mr SA disturbs me. I just need that 30 minutes to regroup. My nightly baths are also my chill time.

Well done on the cc
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2020 £43.31
    Emergency Fund £3465/£10,000
    • milann
    • By milann 13th Jan 20, 5:58 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 20,727 Thanks
    milann
    That chill time after work is bliss - like you say SA just time to regroup. Iím very spoilt DIA just myself and dh around - believe me Iíve had many times when my weekends werenít as chilled as they are now.

So I went for my scan results this afternoon- I wasnít expecting what they said.....but it is what it is. Iíve got a tear in the lining of the hip and arthritis but the main concern is a bony abnormality which they canít distinguish. So theyíve fast tracked a CT scan and I go back in 3 weeks to see the consultant and theyíll send for me for the scan within 2 weeks. He went on to tell me everything it might or might not be and then not to worry They do make me laugh the way they say that..... Iím not telling the family what he told me - just that he wants another scan....been there before and seen the worry in their faces. Iím guessing itís something to do with a bone condition I have which can make x-rays and the like look suspicious- if doctors arenít used to seeing it they come up with all sorts of conclusions.....watch this space....
    I went for a lovely swim afterwards and chilled in the jacuzzi and aroma rooms for over an hour just getting my head together before I came home.
    Heís put me on a list for an injection which heíll take me into theatre to do.
    Never rains but it pours
    • HappyNow
    • By HappyNow 13th Jan 20, 6:53 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 6,470 Thanks
    HappyNow
    Crikey Milann, that must have been a shock. I'm sure there are any number of things it could be, and at least you'll have the results in three weeks.

When you say you're not telling the family, does that include Mr M?

Look after yourself xx
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Date extended to 'one day'... (65.21% so far).

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured £69,579 + Mortgage £59,948 = £129,527
    Debt Jan 20: Unsecured £24,202 + Mortgage £26,456 = £50,658 (60.89% paid)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 20, 6:54 PM
    • 68,467 Posts
    • 312,831 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey.
    Never a dull moment.
    Keep plodding
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Sunshine girl2
    • By Sunshine girl2 13th Jan 20, 7:33 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Sunshine girl2
    What a lovely weekend you had, I enjoy my own space living alone I get plenty.

I hope the hip problem isn't going to be to much of an issue for you .

Look forward to seeing you soon.
    • milann
    • By milann 13th Jan 20, 8:00 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 20,727 Thanks
    milann
    Iíve told him some of what the doc said - about the tear and thereís some abnormality he wants to check but not what he said it could be....Iím convinced itís something to do with the bone condition....its pretty rare and even some orthopaedic consultants have only ever seen it in text books. Thisíll be the third time hospital doctors have had me worried by telling the worse case scenario over various things - it seems part of the course now. So Iím not putting them through it - Iíve worried them enough over the years. Iíll tell them everything when I know what it is - even if it is anything..... and Iím going to listen to the doctor and not worry either
    Iím telling work they want another scan to double check something....donít want them thinking I might have to be off before Iím even back full time from my last escapade at hospital
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 20, 9:13 PM
    • 8,043 Posts
    • 60,671 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Oh boo to the scan Hopefully to do with the bone condition. Easy said but no point worrying especially if you have an inkling what it is. I think it's good that the doctors have thought about worst case scenario, once that's ruled out they can take it from there.

Well some people will do anything to get out of going to work
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Jan 20, 8:41 AM
    • 6,232 Posts
    • 39,132 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Worrying times but at least you’re being fast tracked for the scan. Positive vibes heading your way
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £64761.98 target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £946.16 target £1000 by 31/12/19
    Emergency fund £4266/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 5lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 20, 6:05 PM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 32,119 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry you have to go through the worry of another scan. Sending positive energy out to you.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    • milann
    • By milann 14th Jan 20, 9:32 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 20,727 Thanks
    milann
    Thanks for the good wishes folks. Iím fine although I have to admit I tossed and turned a bit last night. Iím keeping myself busy and positive as I fully expect it to be something to do with the bone condition I have.

Iím meeting my friend of 55 years how did THAT happen....for breakfast at sp00ns tomorrow before work. I shall tell her the full story....we donít live in each otherís pockets but when we get together itís like we see each other every day like we used to.

Iíve been out this evening where I volunteer and had a great with lots of laughs.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 20, 9:58 PM
    • 68,467 Posts
    • 312,831 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your breakfast
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Jan 20, 8:47 AM
    • 6,232 Posts
    • 39,132 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Possibly due in part to being a non drinker but breakfast is my favourite time to catch up with people
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £64761.98 target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £946.16 target £1000 by 31/12/19
    Emergency fund £4266/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 5lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 15th Jan 20, 6:10 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 20,727 Thanks
    milann
    Off to aqua aerobics in half an hour. Just waiting for some pasta to cook to go with my bolognaise sauce which is smelling very delicious. Iím very impressed Iíve stayed on plan food wise this week and not reverted to comfort eating.
    Iíve just had a phone call to go for the scan on Wednesday - which should be my 1st full day in work...not a lot I can do about it though. I go for the contrast injection at 10 am and go back a couple of hours later for the scan. Iíll have to juggle my hours at work so that I have Wednesday off.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Jan 20, 7:12 PM
    • 8,043 Posts
    • 60,671 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    That's typical, hope you can juggle your hours. Hope you enjoyed your catch up, I love meeting up with my old friends I don't see that often but we just pick up where we left off last time
    • Sunshine girl2
    • By Sunshine girl2 15th Jan 20, 7:18 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Sunshine girl2
    Typical of the scan to be on your work day, but your health is very important . Hope the meet up with your friend was good. I meet one of my friends for breakfast , well usually brunch !

Have a good evening.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Jan 20, 8:26 PM
    • 11,337 Posts
    • 89,666 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It does sound very probable that the scan has highlighted a similar problem to what you've had before. Hopefully the second scan will set your mind at rest.

Hospital or doctor appointments always come at the most inconvenient time, it's like they do it on purpose!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £2,450/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £50/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £144.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £300. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £250
    • milann
    • By milann 16th Jan 20, 5:00 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 20,727 Thanks
    milann
    Had a lovely time at aqua last night - lots of laughs. I tried one of the normal sized dumbbells just out of curiosity- I couldnít even get it in the water with my bad arm and it hurt my elbow. I can manage a lot of the moves with the small one but end up adapting the instructions for some of the session to suit my arm movement- was still fun though.
    I came in to watch Whitegate Farm (or whatever it was called) went to bed with my cuppa - settled down nicely then the tv kept pixelating and pausing - I wasnít impressed. Itís been doing that. A lot recently
    Not much to report today - I couldnít ask about changing my hours next week as headteacher was out. A NSD thatís my 4th this week. Plodding along nicely.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Jan 20, 5:33 PM
    • 11,337 Posts
    • 89,666 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I find having the morning off isnt that productive as I tend to have a lie in and then I need to have my lunch at about 11am so there isn't really time to do anything much. I hope you can get hold of the head and change your hours.

You're doing so well with all the exercise .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £2,450/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £50/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £144.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £300. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £250
    • milann
    • By milann 19th Jan 20, 1:07 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 20,727 Thanks
    milann
    That’s how I am doing afternoons Hairy - not much longer now though.
    I’ve changed my hours next week to all day Monday and Tuesday off Wednesday to go for the scan and all day Thursday and Friday. I’ve told work what I need to tell them so a little one I work with isn’t messed about in the slim chance I need to be off again So there’s been a little bit of shuffling around just until I have the results. Hopefully after that everything will go back to normal.
    Dh picked me up after work on Friday and we went to the big shopping mall with the intention of using our free cake and cuppa vouchers at John L but they only had scones left so we didn’t bother. We had a mooch around the shops. There were some bargains to be had but I couldn’t figure who I’d give them to so I didn’t bother. We treated ourselves to some Chinese food from M&S came home and cooked it - a lovely treat.
    Ds came around yesterday and I was telling him about the bargains I’d seen - he decided to buy one for his friends 40th - a gift pack of half a bottle of sip smith gin, 2 enamel mugs and tonics reduced from £40 to £16. So we returned to the mall - ds bought it - we were chuffed as we’d seen another shop selling the exact thing for £38 in another shop. We went and used our cake vouchers, decided to go to cinema to see 1917. We had an hour or so before the film so had a lovely walk along the canal in the sunshine - you wouldn’t believe you were in such a busy area - it was lovely. The film was brilliant and we finished with a meal courtesy of Mr T vouchers. So a lovely MSE day.
    I’ve had a snuffly nose - so have well and truly dosed myself up to clear it before it has chance to develop into anything. Lazy day planned today. I need to pop out and buy a few bits for the week. I’m cooking a chicken basted in mild curry cooked over veg for dinner - I saw it a week or so ago in eat well for less and thought it’d be a bit different.
    I lost 3 lb at SW on Friday and was chuffed with that - I’d even had fish and chips in that lot. Mmmm need to do a bit of damage limitation after my day out yesterday.
    Last edited by milann; 19-01-2020 at 1:10 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

2,095Users online

Martin's Twitter