Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 10:00 PM
    • 2,510Posts
    • 14,373Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 10:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 10:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 55
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th May 19, 8:40 PM
    • 9,361 Posts
    • 73,856 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It may be a blessing in disguise that you couldn't go to Hadrian's Wall . This is a really short half term isn't it?

You'll be glad to get your arm sorted out and hopefully that will sort it out longer term.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £1,505.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th May 19, 8:41 PM
    • 2,910 Posts
    • 18,391 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Just caught up with your diary milann - great news that you've finally got an op date.

Quite envious on reading about all the NT sites that you've all visited. This is when I wished I could drive so I could do the same!

I was interested too to read about the UTA groups that your hubby belongs to. I've always thought I'd like to join when I retire. A client of ours from work was widowed a few years ago and decided to join - she says it's wonderful and has really helped to give her a new lease of life.

Your night out sounded great fun - and very MSE!

P.S. I loved Fisherman's Friends too!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 24
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • milann
    • By milann 10th May 19, 3:51 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 14,373 Thanks
    milann
    So dh has been to UTA groups again - he took the ukulele up a year or so ago and has been having a weekly lesson (I was quite surprised as heís never shown any interest in music and nuff said about his sense of rhythm - we nearly ended up in the divorce courts when we tried dancing lessons years ago ) anyway heís stuck at it and found 2 UTA ukulele groups and although not brilliant at it is able to keep up with some of the tunes and has been for coffee afterwards and seems to really enjoy it.

Iíve had another NSD today. Not much planned for the weekend I feel I need to do something but I donít quite know what - I feel quite unsettled- as if I need to do lots but I donít quite know where to start or what I need to do
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th May 19, 5:10 PM
    • 2,910 Posts
    • 18,391 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    You made me laugh about you and hubby's dancing experience! A colleague from work got married a couple of years ago - he and his bride to be were in their late fifties and decided to take dancing lessons so that they could cut a swathe on the floor during their 'first dance' at the wedding reception. Unfortunately it didn't go well and quite a few arguments emanated from the sessions. They gave up in the end. My boss went to the wedding and said they just done the usual slow shuffle for the first dance.

Well done your hubby for taking up learning a musical instrument though. My mum started piano lessons in her 80s. She had always wanted to learn - she didn't progress much but enjoyed herself anyway!

Hope you managed to think of something to do this weekend!
    X
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 24
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th May 19, 7:51 PM
    • 9,361 Posts
    • 73,856 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I've got a friend who's learning the ukulele too . I'm glad DH has found something he enjoys.

I hate it when I feel restless and don't know what to do. Often the problem is that the things you feel you should be doing, are things that you don't feel like doing!

I hope you managed to have a nice day in the end .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 19, 8:05 PM
    • 63,171 Posts
    • 277,719 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that you have had a good day
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • milann
    • By milann 14th May 19, 4:41 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 14,373 Thanks
    milann
    Well on Friday I just couldnít put my mind to anything and didnít know what I wanted for tea or what I wanted to do.... so dh suggested tea at a local wethersp00ns so off we toddled for fish and chips which was really nice. We were chatting about the things Iíd put off as I expected to be in hospital April/May. I had wanted to see The King and I at theatre in big town close by. It finished on Saturday - dh checked it out and there were a few tickets left....so I went to see it on Saturday evening - we went into town in the afternoon had a bit of a mooch and tea in a lovely Turkish restaurant which does an early evening menu 2 courses for a tenner So I had a lovely time.
    Iíd watched the last part of Gardeners World when we got in on Friday which was showing the Malvern Flower show - so we went there on Sunday - it was a good drive from here - over 2 hours - but the sun was shining and I had a lovely day. It was ridiculously expensive to get in though. They must have taken a bomb as it was heaving. I bagged a few bargains though...12 lettuce plants for £1, some reduced artisan bread and cakes. I was very good and didnít go mad buying plants either - just a few daffs. I bought a garden ornament for a Christmas present for dd and her dh as a bit of fun - similar would have cost double in the shops. We took a picnic and had intended getting a meal out on our way home but we werenít hungry so we ate the bread and cheeses we bought once home. So we did try to kelp costs down.
    I love it when things just fall into place
    Itís been a strange couple of days again at work - a new lady has started who will be taking over from me when I go off - so Iíve been showing her the ropes and trying to take a step back from the children so they get used to her.
    SW wasnít good on Saturday morning - I put the 2lb Iíd lost last week back on with an extra 1/2 for good measure. I seem to have my head in the right place again this week again so will what next Saturday brings.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th May 19, 4:50 PM
    • 9,361 Posts
    • 73,856 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad you've managed to do a few fun things before your operation Milann, it sounds like a really fun weekend .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th May 19, 7:10 PM
    • 63,171 Posts
    • 277,719 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you had a great weekend

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th May 19, 7:27 AM
    • 5,759 Posts
    • 35,465 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Sounds like the perfect weekend and just what you needed
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £68,638.17 target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £616.16 target £5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund £5,500/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 1lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 16th May 19, 8:19 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 14,373 Thanks
    milann
    A couple of NSDs this week but I spent £52 in Mr Ms doing a bit of a stock up on canned stuff and some toiletries plus I bought a couple of toys to put away for gks - I put them in my basket/back on the shelf/then back in the trolley. They were my little ponies and the girls love to collect them....YES Grandma has a real weak spot when it come to GKs must resist - must resist... but it gives me pleasure and gives them pleasure I could be spending on much worse than that....BUT it wonít get my savings pot any bigger.

Iím getting no housework done with dh being around - he does bits but thinks thatís it . So Iím throwing him out to a train club on Saturday whilst I get on with things. When we break up next week I want to do lots - clean cupboards, drawers, windows, finish painting the fence and batch cook to stock freezer ready for when I go in as Iíll be out of action for a while and itíll drive me mad if I can see things and canít do them. Itís getting scarily close now...Iím telling the children I work closely with mid week next week so they can get used to the idea and get used to the new lady.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th May 19, 8:36 PM
    • 63,171 Posts
    • 277,719 Thanks
    beanielou
    Npthing wrong with spoiling the GK's.
    Also good that you are getting organised

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th May 19, 9:10 PM
    • 9,361 Posts
    • 73,856 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's a good idea to get the house organised before your operation as you will find it frustrating being able to do less for a while.

I'm sure your children will really miss you .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • milann
    • By milann 17th May 19, 8:03 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 14,373 Thanks
    milann
    NSD today - Iím end of week tired - Iíve had a couple of night where Iíve been wide awake from 4am. Think I might take a cuppa to bed and read my book.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 19, 8:12 PM
    • 63,171 Posts
    • 277,719 Thanks
    beanielou
    NSD today - Iím end of week tired - Iíve had a couple of night where Iíve been wide awake from 4am. Think I might take a cuppa to bed and read my book.
    Originally posted by milann
    Good idea of bed & a cuppa

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 19, 8:59 PM
    • 9,361 Posts
    • 73,856 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope you get a better night tonight. Are you worried about your operation or do you often sleep badly:
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 17th May 19, 9:40 PM
    • 8,457 Posts
    • 19,527 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    So dh has been to UTA groups again - he took the ukulele up a year or so ago and has been having a weekly lesson (I was quite surprised as heís never shown any interest in music and nuff said about his sense of rhythm - we nearly ended up in the divorce courts when we tried dancing lessons years ago ) anyway heís stuck at it and found 2 UTA ukulele groups and although not brilliant at it is able to keep up with some of the tunes and has been for coffee afterwards and seems to really enjoy it.

Iíve had another NSD today. Not much planned for the weekend I feel I need to do something but I donít quite know what - I feel quite unsettled- as if I need to do lots but I donít quite know where to start or what I need to do
    Originally posted by milann
    I belong to our local U3A and funnily enough someone wanted to start a ukulele group in our area too. Not sure how many takers they got though. I already belong to the walkers groups and garden group so no time to do any others. Think I will stick with the piano Maybe your DH has just decided to try something new. Good on him.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Sunshine girl2
    • By Sunshine girl2 18th May 19, 6:08 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Sunshine girl2
    I love your spur of the moment weekend you had , how exciting. Hope the op goes ahead on the expected day and then you can get on with things. Keep me in the loop . I am guilty of buying the GKs stuff as well. Have a good weekend.
    • milann
    • By milann 18th May 19, 9:16 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 14,373 Thanks
    milann
    Dh is really enjoying his ukulele sessions and going out for a coffee with them afterwards which Iím pleased about. Heís been doing bits in the garden and itís beginning to look less neglected. And Iíve had tea cooked for me every Thursday and Friday since heís been off.

Iíll keep you in the loop Sunshine Girl.

Iíve had times around hospital appointments where Iíve not slept at all then been ok again. Iíve also been either really hot or really cold in the night for some time now and that has an impact on my sleep but a few weeks ago I started a treatment which has had an unexpected impact on this and Iíve generally slept a bit better recently.

I had told dh I wasnít going anywhere today as wanted to tidy up - Iíd hoped heíd go to his train club but he didnít- Iím getting nothing done since heís reduced his hours - think he thinks itís holiday time every long weekend now and that his hoovering in the middle of the living room is sufficient ....anyway I started doing the living/dining room. Once Iíd started I realised how bad it was so have given it a proper Ďspring cleaní - sorted cupboards and drawers, polished brasses, washed ornaments, cleaned windows and wiped blinds, used leather cleaner and cream on my suite and wiped paintwork. Iíve had to take extra painkillers as my arm knows itís been used a lot. I was going to do it once I break up next week but itís done now and I can keep on top of it. Iím aiming to do a room at a time properly before I go in.... at one time Iíd have done all the downstairs one day and upstairs the following day - canít believe itís taken me all day to do it. Dh made soup for lunch and spag bol for tea - so I was quite pleased he stayed at home. - he is a guddun

I lost the 2lb I put on last week again at SW - still got 3 to go to get back to my 1/2 stone award I was so pleased with, but if I hadnít kept going Iíd have been another half stone (at least) heavier by now as Iím a very emotional picker....canít stop stuffing my face when Iím anxious

Tomorrowís plan is spring cleaning my bedroom and the bathroom. That way Iíll be able to do some nice things in the holidays.
    • milann
    • By milann 19th May 19, 7:24 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 14,373 Thanks
    milann
    Spring cleaned the bathroom and my bedroom - switched to the lighter weight quilt and Iíve decided to buy some new curtains - this time Iíll get blackout ones. I bought blinds a couple of years ago and have been so disappointed with them. I expected them to block the light out - not a chance. Because Iíd bought blinds I only got thin, light coloured curtains - big mistake. I also painted the walls a pale grey/purple colour. I thought itíd grow on me but it hasnít at all - I find it quite depressing. So Iím going to visit Dunelm one evening after work to look at some navy curtains and try and find a quilt with blue/pink design. Hopefully itíll pull my other bits in the bedroom together. Oh and I plan to paint the walls white. Not sure when but thatís the master plan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,371Posts Today

6,284Users online

Martin's Twitter