Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 10:00 PM
    • 2,406Posts
    • 13,059Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 10:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 10:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 51
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Apr 19, 6:38 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 18,010 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Your last minute night away with Mr milann sounded wonderful - you're so right not to put your life on hold - enjoy each moment as much as you can.

Fingers crossed for SW tomorrow! But at least you've been enjoying yourself.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 16/04/2019 - £2,903.42
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 25
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Apr 19, 7:13 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,196 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend~~sounds like just what the Dr ordered
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • milann
    • By milann 8th Apr 19, 7:21 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    milann
    It was lovely apart from a bit of rain yesterday afternoon. Seemed a tad extravagant but we got a good deal which included an evening meal - o ended up getting a free glass of wine dh had asked for a medium glass but they had no glasses - they were all in washer - so filled a small glass to the rim and didnít charge us - I was happy with that. Weíd taken supplies and crisps from home to have in our room - so all very MSE
    • milann
    • By milann 9th Apr 19, 9:17 AM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    milann
    Well I managed to get the lid off my fence slobber and it took me a good while to paint ONE fence panel. I divided panel into 1/3rds in my head and had a rest after each 1/3rd. It was quite laughable really - Iíd have done have the whole fence In years gone by in the time it took.... And I had to use a small brush and keep swapping hands....and I knew about it afterwards.....but it made me feel good👍 We had new panels a couple of years ago down 1 side and theyíve been waiting to be painted ever since. Just got to replace the panels on the other 2 sides of the garden now.....I could do with putting a rocket up dh behind. Itís driving me mad
    Right off for a swim and tai chi..... Iím determined to turn a corner and not let myself just vegetate in front of screens these school holidays....Iíve fallen into some very bad habits since Ive had the health problems of the last few years and itís not good.....so....positive mental attitude at all times
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Apr 19, 2:53 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,196 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy the tai chi.
    Well done on the fence painting

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 9th Apr 19, 3:56 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    milann
    I went to tai chi - it was a different teacher than yesterday. Yesterday played relaxing music and we just followed his moves....todayís talked through every move and itís much more like the kind I used to do several years ago - probably more years than I care to remember. I was quite put out how Iíve deteriorated- my balance was rubbish,and my feet and ankles were so sore. My leg tremor were pretty bad too by the end. I much preferred yesterdayís. No idea why Iím surprised as it mirrors how I am in RL. Wish they had an evening class so I can keep at it but I can only go to the daytime classes in school holidays. I could go elsewhere I suppose but Iíve paid for these in my gym membership and donít want to pay again.

Iíve painted another fence panel - 2 more on that side of the garden to go. I might give it a rest tomorrow though as Iím paying for it... Iíve just had some extra painkillers for my arm..... not liking this getting older and slowing down lark....

Petrol in car otherwise a NSD
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Apr 19, 4:41 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,196 Thanks
    beanielou
    Amazing how two teachers can be so different.
    Have a rest from the fence tomorrow.
    I know its difficult once you have started though...............

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 9th Apr 19, 8:33 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    milann
    Just come back from a lovely evening where I volunteer at a Ďyouth clubí for folk with learning disabilities. A local assisted living association for elderly people came and did a bingo session for us. It was hilarious- we put an afternoon tea style buffet on for them and Iím not sure who had the most fun - the old folk or our lot. A great success which will be repeated again at some point.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Apr 19, 8:40 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,196 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sounds great

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 10th Apr 19, 9:19 AM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    milann
    Todayís plan to blitz bedroom in readiness for invasion of the grandkids and grown up kids canít wait
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Apr 19, 12:33 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 18,010 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    You afternoon tea sounded lovely milann.

Hope you managed to finish blitzing the bedroom! You should have a great time once they all arrive!
    x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 16/04/2019 - £2,903.42
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 25
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • milann
    • By milann 15th Apr 19, 10:26 AM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    milann
    Well I blitzed the bedroom and most of the house. They arrived Friday lunch time and within half an hour it looked like a major disaster area it was great to see toys everywhere and fun being had. So a full on fun filled weekend - Iím shattered.

I canít believe the money I spent - I went to indulgent Grandma mode and bought lots of clothes ( all MSE style bargains) and a couple of fun things - to put in an Easter bag for them - Iíd have been cheaper to get an Easter egg but they really appreciated them and itís son in laws birthday tomorrow so I treated us all to a meal. Plus the extra shopping but we get treated well when we go there so fairs fair. It felt good to know I can still pay my cc in full - itís a long time since I had that feeling. But I need to reign in for the rest of the month so that it stays that way.

We went to a sculpture trail an hours drive away on Saturday and had a bracing walk ( well as bracing as you can with a 2 year old) in the Yorkshire air - it was a great day. Yesterday we went to a local park - thereís a sandy area and littlest was playing whilst I sat watching her on the surrounding wall. As I stood to step up my ankle gave on the uneven surface - sil tried to save me - grabbed my arm - I carried on, wobbled and he nearly ended up on top of me - it must have looked quite funny. Then he panicked as he realised how hard heíd pulled my bad arm trying to keep me upright - I laughed it off as I didnít want him to feel bad - itís natural instinct to try and save someone but it might have been better to leave me. My arm is bruised today and really sore. Iíve upped my painkillers and thereís no way I could swim today - which Iíd planned.

We did an Easter egg hunt yesterday and dh decorated his trains and track with bunnies and chicks whilst we were at the park - which was really lovely and the girls loved it....it was all the better as weíd passed a convoy of motorbikes doing an Easter egg run on the main road near my house - many were dressed as Easter bunnnies, chicks etc on our way back from the park. So the Easter Bunnies Ďhelpersí had dropped off to Grandmas garden with their motorbikes whilst we were at the park The REAL Easter bunny will go to their house next week I do love the age theyíre at

Got to clean the aftermath up today though as I didnít do much after they left yesterday evening. SW has been non existent- not even in the radar........
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 19, 1:10 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,196 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sounds like a fab time had by all.
    Hope your arm is ok.

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 15th Apr 19, 5:45 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    milann
    My arm is sore but ok - itís not been as sore as this for a long time - but if I will go throwing myself about .....

Lazy tea of leftovers tonight. Iíve tidied downstairs which actually looked a lot worse than it was - thrown all the toys in the bedroom - shut the door and done a runner until another day. Iíll fold all the beds up and wash the bedding before they come again.....

I had intended sorting all my kitchen cupboards these holidays but Iím fast running out of days...so that might have to wait too.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 19, 6:11 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,196 Thanks
    beanielou
    Cupboards~~who cleans cupboards

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 15th Apr 19, 6:46 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    milann
    Theyíre a bit of a frog Beanie- not very MSE - no idea what Iíve got in or what I need to buy. Want to get ready for a re-stock of cupboards and freezer and do a big cook in - in readiness for when I out of action again.

Iím in shock - I phoned the doc today for an appointment, it usually takes a couple of weeks - Iíve got one for Wednesday, no questions asked - think I might have a water infection brewing and want to sort it before it takes hold like it did last time when I ended up in with a kidney infection...might not be, but Iím not taking any chances so close to going in with my arm.
    • milann
    • By milann 16th Apr 19, 2:24 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    milann
    Another lazy day here - shattered .com.

My friend is coming around in an hour or so and weíre heading to the restaurant at the gym to spend £50 worth of food and drink vouchers - she joined and they have a recommendation scheme - said Iíd recommended her and hey presto I got the vouchers last week but they run out next week - so todayís the day - the food there is quite nice but a tad expensive in normal circumstances.

Dh is dropping to a 4 day week this week - and once others at work are back from holiday to 3 days.....I wasnít sure heíd actually do it. Iím pleased as he has been looking tired. Iím half looking forward to it and half dreading it as my lazy days and catch up tv routines might be under threat. We like totally different tv shows so I leave him to his whilst I pootle on the puter and watch mine when I chill after work before he comes in.

I wasnít expecting him to start this week and was planning a day in big town near me on Thursday so I might bring that forward to tomorrow after my doctors appointment. Then we can do something together on Thursday
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 19, 2:28 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,196 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your meal
    That's a great way to stage in retirement I think

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 16th Apr 19, 8:52 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    milann
    Had a lovely catch up with friend - wine and toasted sandwich salad and shared chips. We were so full we didnít have any pudding - I did pay £3 cash as bill came to £33 and they didnít give change to £10 vouchers - leaving £20 of vouchers to be used before Sunday - so myself and dh will go for lunch on Thursday - we will have to add cash but shouldnít be much if we choose wisely

Off to bed now - feeling bleugh.....
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 19, 8:58 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,196 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you had a nice catch up.
    Boo to feeling bleugh

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

529Posts Today

5,788Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin