Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 2,134Posts
    • 10,652Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 41
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jan 19, 10:30 PM
    • 60,020 Posts
    • 251,844 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy hump day
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • milann
    • By milann 11th Jan 19, 8:50 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 10,652 Thanks
    milann
    Hereís to your retirement when it happens Beanie if youíre going to be better off. But you still have a while to go.

Yes SSG itís all come scarily quickly.....he could have retired a few months ago but didnít feel ready to do it during winter - so come spring will hopefully be cutting his hours - he works for a small family firm (not our family) rubbish wages but they treat him well in other ways....he has said he can be flexible if there is a big job in when he reduces......the job has changed beyond recognition since he started there years ago. Itís far more physical as theyíve diversified during leaner times to keep it a going concern....heís looking very tired and is so grumpy some days but he loves to hate it iykwim.....reduced hours are the way to go for him I think as heíll be pulling his hair out after a couple of weeks if he doesnít get used to having down time to himself. He wonít cope being at home all the time unless he builds up to it. In principle work have agreed to this....but we will have to see how it pans out. The most annoying thing is we should have been finishing together if the pension age had stayed the same.....not sure how weíd have faired financially though.....but we would have had to make it work I suppose.

Itís been a long tiring week. Iíve had a few very early nights but waking the eary hours of the morning - so shattered.com

Only had 1 day of spending since 7th when I started my new month - spent £25 in Morrisons. Making a whole 3 NSDS - best Iíve done in a long long time. My halo was shining last night I fancied cooking and nearly ran round to shop but changed my meal plan to use what I had in.

SW tomorrow - could go either way. Iíve had some very good days some totally rubbish days. Weíve still got too many treats left in from Christmas. SW have been collecting unopened treat items to take to a local charity but I canít bring myself to part with them.....so my halo is certainly not shining on that front Think the MSE in me is making me mean But dh likes them and eats them too.....
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jan 19, 9:03 PM
    • 60,020 Posts
    • 251,844 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have had to 'hide' the remaining treats.
    I really need to get back & track!

Enjoy your weekend my friend

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 11th Jan 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,610 Posts
    • 16,263 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hope SW goes your way tomorrow. Am going to PM you shortly.
    CC1 £3300 Jan 2019
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Jan 19, 10:19 PM
    • 6,620 Posts
    • 46,839 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Good luck with SW tomorrow. I'm at WW and hoping for a loss, I've been good all week. Fingers crossed for us
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £82.00
    Debt £1570
    Weight loss 0/9LBS
    Emergency Fund £3266.50/£10,000
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Jan 19, 8:34 PM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 15,296 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I agree that a reduction in hours sounds like the best plan for your OH if full time is bringing him down. He sounds like he still needs to work though to keep himself busy. I think I lot of men feel like this - they are just not ready for a full-on retirement.

Well done on the NSDs. I'm afraid I've eaten all my Christmas treats......
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 16/01/2019 - £2,317.94
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 28
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 19, 9:21 PM
    • 60,020 Posts
    • 251,844 Thanks
    beanielou
    My mum still works part time in her late 70's

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 12th Jan 19, 10:16 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 10,652 Thanks
    milann
    Donít think I want to work that long Beanie.....Iíd like like a nice lottery win to be able to finish work but have enough cash to splash on the fun things in life Iíve always wanted to do......think I can dream on there though I can see dh working in some form for a good while yet if truth be known but doesnít know what he wants to do.

Itíll all sort itself out one way another SSG - heíll know what to do when the time is right. Iíve still got a cupboard full of Christmas treats - slightly less tonight as ds has been round and weíve eaten a few watching a film.

I put a lb on this morning at SW....Iím so mad with myself as I didnít put that much on over Christmas. Too much snacking on rubbish when I come in from work....I have a 15 minute lunch break at 12 - Iím starving when I get in at 4 but we donít have tea till 7 when dh comes in. Itís been cold when I get in so Iíve been having toast or biscuits or Christmas cake (one night all three and a couple of choc digestives too) while the house warms up after being empty all day - my meals are right on plan most of the time. I need to break the bad habit Iíve got into....I used to go to the gym - ive got my stuff in the car but CBA at the moment - my arm is sore if I swim and my leg tremors if I do too much at the gym - but itís what I need to do to strengthen it though. I feel as if Iím throwing a fiver a week away going to SW but if I give up will I just pile more on - not a happy bunny

Dh decided to make a Mexican meal for himself and ds (I donít do spicy food) Iíd planned a chicken and roasted veg with a ww wrap for me. I went to Morrisonís and bought what he needed £27 later.....dh kept saying Iíd be ok with what heíd cooked. The pulled pork was delicious but all the accompanying dips and refried beans were either red hot with chilli and wouldíve taken the roof of my mouth off or high syn. He didnít do me any cool dips or veg.....so I ended up with a bit of boiled rice a wrap and the pulled pork whilst they had lots of other bits. I was less than impressed and should have stuck to my roast veg idea....so because I was still hungry I hit the chocolates I felt really ungrateful moaning to him as heíd cooked all afternoon - I told him Iíd sort myself out and was happy for them to have spicy stuff - wish heíd listen!!

Feel as if itís a moaning post - need to give myself a boot up the backside and get in a better frame of mind
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 19, 10:35 PM
    • 60,020 Posts
    • 251,844 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not a moaning post at all.
    Just how it is.
    We can keep plodding at SW together xx

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 12th Jan 19, 10:43 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 10,652 Thanks
    milann
    Will have to count our plodding towards body magic
    We can do this Beanie
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Jan 19, 9:27 PM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 15,296 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I think this time of year plays havoc with all our sensible eating resolutions. I'm eating soup and a roll at the moment. But I crave a nice chicken stew with potatoes, pearl barley and dumplings......

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 19, 9:36 PM
    • 60,020 Posts
    • 251,844 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have just eaten a punnet of grapes & now feel a bit queasy.
    Heathy eating is not all it is cut out to be

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 14th Jan 19, 10:10 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 10,652 Thanks
    milann
    Had a really good food day yesterday and went for a nice walk at localism Nation Trust place - just missed the rain - when we got back I did loads of cooking for this coming week. Cooked a small piece of gammon, made a minestrone soup from the stock. Cooked a chicken in the oven at same time as gammom shredded it and made chicken stock from carcass to go in freezer for soup. A big tray of roasted veg and big pan of mash ( dh did the chopping and mashing for me) That will do me for quite a few days worth of dinner and teas and I hoped keep me on track with SW....

This evening I visited a friend i went through primary and secondary school with but lost contact with over 20 years ago. Life just got in both our ways. I recognised her daughters name on a site about the history of my childhood town and made contact. Anyway it was arranged I visit this evening - I came away a bit sad - I wouldnít have recognised her and there is obviously some sort of illness/problem. - she couldnít hold down a conversation. She remembered me and seemed genuinely pleased to see me. She used to be tiny and very prim and proper in her appearance and in her home - lets just say sheíd let everything go and seemed really old (yes I know I am old - sheís virtually a year younger than me but Iíd have put her a lot older) It was a bit of a sad state of affairs.... sometimes the past is best left there. Iíd envisaged an evening of laughs about our school days and teenage years - I arrived at 7 and was back home at 8.30 and itís a twenty minute drive. We looked at some of her old family photos and we watched Corrie and I babbled about the characters - she filled in with oooohhhh - yeeessss. I wish her daughter had have warned me a bit. When I got in I hit the crisps and chocolates ....ah well itís done now - tomorrows another day

NSD yesterday and today was £30 petrol and £3 for a plant to take to friend.
    • milann
    • By milann 14th Jan 19, 10:12 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 10,652 Thanks
    milann
    Hope your feeling better after the grapes Beanie - SSG all sounds lovely except the pearl barley - I canít stand the texture of it - I remember picking it out of the soup my mum made and lining it around my plate - my mum wasnít impressed
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    • 60,020 Posts
    • 251,844 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey. That is some cooking session.
    As you say sometimes the past is better left there.
    Sad though.

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 14th Jan 19, 10:33 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 10,652 Thanks
    milann
    Yeah I came away feeling a tad strange- sad, regretting not making more contact with her- but I couldnít have with everything I had going on - she had things too - she lost her hubby and had 2 children. Just life circumstances....I canít change anything - I might pop in occasionally but I donít know what else I can do. Wish I hadnít tainted the memories but sort of glad she was pleased to see me...
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Jan 19, 8:22 PM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 15,296 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Shame about your friend, but don't regret things - you've had a lot going on. You sound like you'll keep in touch now and again so she'll be pleased with that. Strange sometimes how things turn out.

Good going on the cooking!

• milann
    • By milann 15th Jan 19, 9:14 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 10,652 Thanks
    milann
    Iíve been thinking about friend a lot - Iíve come to the conclusion I did what I could to keep in touch at various times - telephones and roads go in 2 directions - Iím not shouldering all the blame for losing contact - Iíve had some pretty major things going on with myself and family in the time since I last saw her. Life can be sad sometimes and Iím glad I made contact - I will pop in periodically for half an hour but I canít cure all - Iím quite pleased I brought a smile to her face last night - it is what it is....

I think seeing her with whatever ails her and a close friend recently diognosed with dementia recently hit home - conditions I associated with older generations to me are suddenly happening to friends my age....thought provoking

I spent £1.40 this evening - I went into my local town for a quick nosey - itís a shadow of its former self there are so many closed down shops. I bought a snack pack of ham - I was starvin Marvin and needed something quickly - so a pack of reduced yellow sticker ham did the job. I didnít buy anything else. Running total for January including a haircut tomorrow will be £95 - I have filled the car in that which should last best part of the month - I need to reign in if Iím ever going to get any savings
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Jan 19, 9:34 PM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 15,296 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    You're so right about contact being a two-way street - and as you say you made the effort and cheered her up.

Re getting older - I'm at the time now when I'm beginning to lose my older cousins - it does make you think.

I think the breakdown of local shopping communities is a general malaise. I'm lucky that my own little high street is still quite vibrant but it's a different story when you visit the two other bigger centres.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jan 19, 9:46 PM
    • 60,020 Posts
    • 251,844 Thanks
    beanielou
    As you say friendship is a two way thing.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,936Posts Today

8,741Users online

Martin's Twitter