Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 1,985Posts
    • 9,635Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to 2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 31
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Sep 18, 9:37 PM
    • 57,974 Posts
    • 238,506 Thanks
    beanielou
    Positive vibes that it all sorts itself out in your favour really soon.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • milann
    • By milann 11th Sep 18, 5:38 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    milann
    A bit of a mad day at work today. Lol seem to have spent most of it the loo with a little one toilet training....one of the fun aspects of my job - not

Been really tired too - I had intended going to the gym straight from work but came home and ate my body weight in rubbish instead - now I don't want any tea - need to get out of bad habits.....
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Sep 18, 10:35 PM
    • 5,333 Posts
    • 31,593 Thanks
    in need of direction
    It could be worse. I ate my increasing body weight in junk then ate dinner.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 72,374.15, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 377.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 1,100/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 12th Sep 18, 10:18 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    milann
    INOD I ended up going to w'spoons and had steak, chips followed by chocolate brownie and ice cream and several rose wines to drown my sorrows ....really need to sort myself out big time.

On that thought I went for a swim after work tonight - didn't do many lengths as my arm was really sore but it broke the habit of coming home and eating. I had a nice chill in jacuzzi and aroma room really enjoyed it. Then came home and cooked tea I'd intended to do last night.

I've decided I'm having a girls night out the week of my birthday - I really wanted a big party this year but it didn't happen so myself and some girls from my last job, this job and some old friends are going out to a local Turkish restaurant which has a Friday party night - meal followed by dancing. I need a good fun night. I've booked provisionally for 1st week in October - I'm really looking forward to it.
    • milann
    • By milann 13th Sep 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    milann
    I had mixed feelings about going to SW tonight but a lady at school talked me into going with her. So I went and handed my cash over - previously I've had a 12 week countdown and after that 1st week where I paid I think I looked on it as free weeks - so handing the cash over every week out of my purse will hopefully keep me focused and stop me messing about. I need to get best part of a couple of stone down. There are a couple of people going now at work so we can keep each other going.

On my way home I called into Mr Ms for milk - got a bag of fruit and veg and Warbies seeded loaf. Plus the 4 pt of milk went in for for a bargainous price of 1.95 only the milk was full price.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Sep 18, 8:59 PM
    • 57,974 Posts
    • 238,506 Thanks
    beanielou
    Bargain woman

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 13th Sep 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    milann
    I know Beanie - they were reducing loads - I got a basket full but some people had a trolley full - some were nearly coming to fisticuffs - just greedy. I just got some of the stuff at the end of the aisle.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Sep 18, 9:14 PM
    • 6,312 Posts
    • 43,528 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hope all gets sorted in the end. Don't even ask about the ordeal I had when my mum died with the small amount of money she left and the vultures that tried to get their hands on it!!! Total nightmare

Well done on biting the bullet with SW, good luck with it.

The Turkish night out sounds brilliant
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 404.08
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Sep 18, 9:16 PM
    • 57,974 Posts
    • 238,506 Thanks
    beanielou
    & glad to hear that you are back on the SW wagon

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 13th Sep 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    milann
    Re SW i so nearly threw in the towel but I want to do it and I need to do it. This will not beat me....positive head and big girls knickers - not the big knickers that little packers get though

Thanks for the encouragement
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th Sep 18, 9:31 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 14,697 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I hope you get the inheritance sorted out . Well done on going to SW , hope the hospital goes ok tomorrow. Have sent you PM
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 18, 7:55 PM
    • 57,974 Posts
    • 238,506 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope hospital went ok for you

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 14th Sep 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    milann
    Hospital visit was lovely - I was discharged as scan showed bleed has dissipated and there are no new mini bleeds The slight tremor I still get sometIimes and my leg getting tired will just take time to recover. He recommended keeping active by swimming and supple doing yoga and Pilates.

I then met a lovely lady from on here and had a cuppa and chat - 1st time we'd met but I feel I've known her ages - before heading to see my brother to make use of my tram ticket. Oh I stopped off in big town for a quick nosey I didn't buy anything except a bite bite of lunch. I found the big M&S have a rotisserie chicken stand where you can buy a 1/4 chicken and various sides - I had Mediterranean roast veg pulled chicken breast - it was absolutely gorgeous. A fiver but on plan and tasty so a bonus - I expected having to get a sandwich and blowing my SW plan.

Put the world to rights with my sister in law...I had tea there - she is doing SW and just lost 2 stone so tea was on plan too so I've only just got home.

I probably should have headed back to work but by the time I'd have got there there wouldn't have been much of the school day left and they told me not to worry about going back in - I didn't need telling twice.

I did a lot of thinking on the tram - I needed the headspace I think. I just feel as if my dreams have been grabbed from under my feet with the events of the last week. In a funny sort of way it's made me all the more determined to stick with SW - no one can take my dream of getting back to where I want to be - that's in my hands....

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Sep 18, 9:51 PM
    • 6,312 Posts
    • 43,528 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Great news at the hospital

Often things happen which unfortunately you have no control over but there are plenty of things you can change - and that's what you need to focus on.

Like you say, onwards and upwards xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 404.08
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • milann
    • By milann 14th Sep 18, 10:23 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    milann
    You are so right SA - I need to focus on what I can control and channel my anger and frustration into something positives because I'm fluctuating from anger to upset and a variety of emotions in between"...
    • milann
    • By milann 15th Sep 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    milann
    Id planned a day in doing housework today - sent dh to his train club meeting from under my feet. Ds came round to see how we were, so it didn't need much to persuade me to leave the housework and go out to play - we headed to great big shopping mall not far from here. I got some reduced jimjams for gks from M&S - half price - they'll love them pink with mermaids on. I'll put them away for Christmas and a couple of other bits for them reduced. Then dh met us and we went out for tea using Mr T vouchers so only paid for drinks. I chose wisely - not the stir fry I'd planned but I enjoyed it. And very MSE and although it wasn't completely SW but it wasn't a disaster either
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Sep 18, 9:25 PM
    • 57,974 Posts
    • 238,506 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you had a good day

***Keep plodding***
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Sep 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 14,697 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Sounds like you had another good day out . I went to town and got overwhelmed with all the sale stuff from m&s and didn't buy a thing ! . Enjoy rest of the weekend . I am babysitting tonight .
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • milann
    • By milann 16th Sep 18, 2:14 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 9,635 Thanks
    milann
    Hope the babysitting went well SA - she is a real cutie...

Been thinking today - I'm undecided whether or not to put my cc balance on a 0% - I admit to going a little mad with expensive present for dh which was ready earlier than I'd been told, plus I've generally spent without much thought as I had been expecting the inheritance and I'd have just paid it off. But since said inheritance doesn't look to be happening anytime soon....my balance is now 1,800 I could pay it in about 3 months...last month I had 25 interest. I know I'd incurr a fee but it would be cheaper than the interest BUT I swore I wouldn't go down that road again......decisions decision......ooohhhh I hope I never meet the financial advisor that has turned our lives upside down if the cash ever shows up I can pay it straight off.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Sep 18, 2:20 PM
    • 57,974 Posts
    • 238,506 Thanks
    beanielou
    I would go for the interest free if the fee is less than the interest you would pay over the time you want to pay it for be it 3 or 4 months.
    Hope that makes sense

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,683Posts Today

9,753Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin