Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 2,054Posts
    • 10,075Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 29
    • milann
    • By milann 9th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    Nephew turned up today after me waiting in yesterday but he lives in South West and was down this way working and got tied up and ended up staying over. So I was pleased to see him even if a day late, he's only 10 years younger than me and we were very close as kids but don't meet up as often as we should. He keeps inviting us down - must take him up on his offer. And he didn't want any cake.....

Lost 1/2 lb this morning at SW - I always think of Peter Kay when I lose a small amount but considering I had Betty's cream tea and Whitby fish and chips I'll take 1/2 happily. I bought yet another cookery book - need to start using them now - I've got lots I've collected over the years - I can't resist. I used to cook a new dish every week - something I need to get back into.

Spent £15 on fruit, salad and milk today.

We go away for 4 nights next week - the kids are treating us for all our celebrations - no idea where to - and all I know is there is a hot tub. Looking forward to us all being together - doesn't matter where it is. It's an Airbnb. Then the last few days of hols I'm going down to dds as she is off work. It's ages since I've been down on my own so looking forward to that.
    • milann
    • By milann 10th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    Not ventured out today - hail, heavy rain and thunder and lightning - loved watching it from inside but glad I wasn't out in it.

Another lazy day here. No spends so far.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 58,913 Posts
    • 244,622 Thanks
    beanielou
    Was raining heavens hard here earlier too.

My neighbour is currently having their roof power washed. The noise!!!
    Have been at it for hours
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • milann
    • By milann 10th Aug 18, 8:12 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    Never heard of a roof being power washed before - hope the noise stops soon.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Aug 18, 9:12 PM
    • 58,913 Posts
    • 244,622 Thanks
    beanielou
    Never heard of a roof being power washed before - hope the noise stops soon.
    Originally posted by milann
    It has now.
    Not convinced it ia a good idea as I think it may weaken the mortar.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 11th Aug 18, 11:12 AM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    Well I got my cc statement today after a very spendy month. I will pay it in 2 halves but that included some of the aftermath of dh present and all the spends from the party we had plus train ticket to see dd later this month - so all in all I'm happy with that. At least having a small party at home worked out cheaper than hiring a room for a proper party which I'd originally planned but a room would have been more fun....

I had a phone call from someone with dubious English this morning trying to tell me my internet wasn't working I told her in no uncertain terms it was, and I'd contact my provider if it wasn't. Some sort of scam I'm sure - and I bet people will fall for it. Am I just getting more and more cynical.

I am regretting getting dh his train - I hadn't realised it had sounds of real train engine within its computerised system - it's going to drive me mad - what with that and planes flying overhead every minute or so as were on the flight path to the airport - my back garden is hardly what I'd call relaxing. Think I'll be finding the off button for the train sound after today - might as well let him play with his new toy for a while at least.

Not sure what we're doing this weekend other than a trip to my brothers and to ds house to take some pots back from the party.

I've been looking at air bnb places in Cornwall for October half term - half of me says book somewhere the other half of me says wait until I've been to the hospital with my wrist and find out what the plan is .... Don't think they'll be doing anything before October if it's been 4 months just waiting of a consultation....but knowing my luck.....
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 58,913 Posts
    • 244,622 Thanks
    beanielou
    No harm in looking Milan.

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 12th Aug 18, 11:30 AM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    Had lovely day mooching around my little town yesterday - there was a makers market on - crafts and artisan foods. I haven't seen it as vibrant and busy for a long time. Dh had a spicy street food concoction - my halo was positively glowing as I had a salad from subw@y. Ended up going into Wilko and I bought things I didn't even know I wanted until I saw them

We set off delivering dishes from party to sil and my ds. I did a bit of gardening with ds and we headed to great big shopping mall not far from here. I've been using my ds old phone for several months now as mine needed a new battery and a key was sticking....but ds phone camera doesn't work and I really miss it. I really want to take photos when we're away with family next week. So since I just about know 1 end of a phone from the other I wanted my techie advisors ds and dh with me. We phoned current providers who couldn't match what we'd seen elsewhere. We'd narrowed it down to 2 phones and were researching the shops . Then ds saw an all singing and dancing phone which you had to buy but a really good price and that coupled with sim only deal got me a much better phone over the 2 year period for slightly less than the cheaper contract I'd been looking at. I tried to buy it from JL but it wasn't in stock so I've ordered it from a JL nearer to home for pick up on Monday. I can put my old sim in till after the holiday (as I've already paid this months contract) and will activate new sim nearer the end of the month.

Then we ended up having a gorgeous meal complete with my fave pud - creme brūl!e courtesy of Mr T vouchers (mainly) only had to pay for drinks my SW and spend diary well and truly slipped this month. But long term I think I've done ok MSE with my phone as its a better phone (hopefully not wasted on me) I'm not tied to a contract so can use it until it breaks and the monthly payments will be a tenner a month less to pay out - just the initial payment up front.

So today I'm not stepping out of the house in an attempt to have an NSD and SW friendly day. Don't hold your breath though
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 12th Aug 18, 11:57 AM
    • 5,419 Posts
    • 32,285 Thanks
    in need of direction
    It's all about balance and you seem overall to be on an even keel. Stick with it
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £71,743.47, target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £412.27 target £5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund £1,100/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 13th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    I stayed in yesterday and had my NSD. I did a mini roast dinner with a tiny piece of pork I had in - it was delicious and seems like ages since we did any cooking as its been too hot for the oven. We have a good system going where dh has to peel stuff - I can put things in the oven 1 handed as they're cold then dh lifts them out when they're hot - teamwork

I handed my bp readings in to GP last week go and see her on Wednesday, but have carried on taking them for my own curiosity - I've been having a big bowl of porridge each morning after watching a TV programme a couple of weeks ago - I knew oats were supposed to help but this programme showed it worked with the folk on the show. It is coming down and quite considerably.....now whether it's the oats or because I know the reading are just for me and not the GP I'm taking the readings for and I'm not anxious - I'm not sure but I'll carry on. I am not going on medication. I will take the readings when I go to see what she has to say.

Going to JL once I get the e-mail to collect my phone. I'll do a bit of shopping to get ingredients to bake a cake for when we go away. I've figured a way to use my mixer last handed
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Aug 18, 6:12 PM
    • 58,913 Posts
    • 244,622 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy new phone
    Not jealous at all

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 14th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    Beanie to be honest the phone is a tad wasted on me - the main thing I use it for is the camera and I'm slightly a addicted to words with friends. It seems good value for money though. I'll let dh instruct me on its features when we're away next week. And if I work it out over 24 months including a SIM card it comes to £12 a month - cheaper and better than my old phone. It's just the inconvenience of paying for the handset upfront.

Bad bad move MSE though - I had a little look see around John L when i picked up my phone yesterday after my freebie lunch of a coffee and cheese scone (which counts as a cake for their vouchers) - I walked through children's clothing dept which had a sale on. So I ended up buying some beautiful dresses, leggings and tops for gdds. So much for keeping spends low. But it gives me great pleasure and the eldest one loves a pretty dress. The time will come quickly enough when they will want there own fashion items so I'm indulging us both while I can. But it has to stop or I'll end up with sky high cc bills again after getting debt free. I've recorded it my spending diary though - it's making me think - does me good to go to basics. Once I'm back from holibobs I must regroup.
    • milann
    • By milann 14th Aug 18, 2:10 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    Just picked my tomatoes from the garden - best crop I've ever had
    • milann
    • By milann 15th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    Went to gps for prescription review. Luckily she isn't putting me bp tablets this time but would like to see it come down a little bit more next time she sees me. Ordered blood tests and a dexa scan as I've had a few fractures recently and it's over 10 years since I had my last one..... Think I'm seeing how many different scans I can have in a year
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,573 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I have been in John Lewis as well , picked up a couple of things for Christmas for the DGC. Glad to hear your GP is on the ball with everything , a good GP is very good to have.

Where are you holidaying next week ?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    • 58,913 Posts
    • 244,622 Thanks
    beanielou
    Milan~~Thank you so much for making my day yesterday.
    You are a lovely friend xxx

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 20th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    My pleasure Beanie xx

Had a lovely few days away with family for our celebrations. We went to a part of England I've never been to before - Sussex. The house was absolutely amazing - it had a hot tub too but with toddlers, and it being inaccessible for my ds. I made the decision not to use it - there was an extra cost too and dipping my toe in to see what it was like didn't warrant it. But we had an amazing time - a meal out when we met up and afternoon in the house chilling and playing, days at the beach, a bbq, a morning at a different beach with a carnival weekend so lots to mooch around followed by fish and chips. We played cards of an evening so all was relaxed. I felt very spoilt.

My only concern was dh - can't put my finger on it but he just didn't seem to cope and looked quite stressed/sad at times. He says he is fine but I'm not convinced....... Other times he seemed OK.....

So it's a chill out day for me today with a bit of catch up to and washing - not much else planned this week.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 58,913 Posts
    • 244,622 Thanks
    beanielou
    Maybe your DH is adapting to his retirement?
    Worried about you?
    Finds it difficult with lots of people around?

Glad that you had a fab time

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 20th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    Beanie I think it's a combination of all those things, plus he didn't sleep well in a different bed. He has made the decision to work until spring next year then reduce his hours slowly until it feels right for him.

He's great with the kids but it's when there are a few adults for any length of time - it's quite embarrassing at times.....but good job we're not all the same I suppose. As we live so far away when we meet were thrown together for a long time - not just popping round for an hour....

It is what it is and I'm not letting it spoil the lovely time we had on the whole and I'm off to see the kids on my own for a few days at the end of the month before he joins me for the weekend at dds house.

Had a flat boring day today missing my granny hugs and story reading.
    • milann
    • By milann 23rd Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    milann
    I thought I was going to be mistaken for a member of staff yesterday in Specsavers as I was in there so long. I went for a hearing test followed by an eye test. Over 3 hours all in all.....so I've had my hearing aids tweaked - everything sounds so loud now again- especially background noises and I've ordered new glasses £200 but I'll get a good chunk of that back. I've chosen specs totally different to what I'm wearing now so hope I've made a good choice....it'll be a couple of weeks until I pick them up as they'll be ready when I'm at dds.

I made myself go out after that as I'm reluctant to go out on my own unless I HAVE to and I know it's not right. So I got the bus to big shopping mall not too far from here. I feel fairly safe walking there as its all perfectly flat surfaces. I had a mooch around - I had some vouchers to spend but nothing jumped out and shouted wow as I couldn't bear to think about winter clothes and the summery things I tried on looked rubbish as I've put so much weight on. So feeling a tad bleughhh about my self image what did I do - treated myself to lunch. Tapas style pizza and roasted veges - Twas rather yummy then dh came to pick me up and we had tea there too - his treat.....and called to see his sister who lives 5 minutes from there. I did buy a flask !!! cup for work from Lakeland which is supposed to keep drinks hot for 6 hours and can be used easily with 1 hand - a tad more than I've paid in the past but hopefully it'll keep my drinks warmer for playground duties - we're not allowed open cups and the cheap covered cups I've had in the past haven't worked well at all.

SW later to see what the damage is...
    Last edited by milann; 23-08-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,286Posts Today

7,674Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes (+ Blair's fear of being seen to impose a new 'tax') This rule will make the public cost of funding more reali? https://t.co/DE1VzzX4Do

• Many asking "what does leaving EU actually mean for me?" both with or without a no-deal. The MSE guide to Brexit t? https://t.co/ULimpQPlHp

• I'm very glad my poll today has caused such unity and consensus. It feels like a real moment of rapprochement in th? https://t.co/QVCzqsiVOi

• Follow Martin