Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 2,045Posts
    • 10,032Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to 2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 28
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Aug 18, 11:23 AM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 10,032 Thanks
    milann
    My birthday is the end of September Beanie

I went to SW yesterday and had a miracle maintain so I was overjoyed at that. I had a message from a couple of ladies from work to ask me if I wanted to go to the pub at lunch. I did but I took the car as I know these lovely ladies would make a full day of drinking and I couldn't do it these days - jealous So I stuck to diet cokes and had a w'spoons Salad -I spent about a tenner which I hadn't planned but it was so worth it - I needed a good laugh to lift me. Dh took me out for tea a different w'spoons but I had a lovely fruit cider as I wasn't driving. A nice unexpected day.

As I suspected there isn't much difference in my blood pressure - slightly higher..... I am not going on meds for it no matter what the doc says. According to t'internet I'm still at level 1 hypertension - just. So I'm really trying to change my lifestyle. I need to up the exercise - so will try swimming. Carry on drinking de-caff tea and coffee and reduce salt. After watching a programme on bp the other week - I'm going to have a big bowl of porridge every day too - more than SW recommend but if that's what it takes - so be it. Plus lose the weight I need to shed. No surprises there then. So with any new plan I've bought a shiny new book to record things. I've divided it into food/blood pressure diary, thought diary and after my next cc statement I'll do another spending diary too. I've bought a 4 coloured pen silliness I know but if recording in different colours helps me stick to it - it'll be a couple of quid well spent. I also bought some butterfly stickers to stick on the cover 1 for each 1/2 lb that fies away..........

So I've given myself a kick up the behind and hatched a new plan - watch this space
    Last edited by milann; 03-08-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Aug 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 10,032 Thanks
    milann
    Story of my life - we'd been joking that although the bus pass age has changed in line with pensions - at least I can get a B&Q card when I'm 60.....just read they're not accepting new applicants from beginning of September - I've missed out again as I'm not 60 till the end
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you met up with your work chums & tea out too!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    When are you going for your weekend away?

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Aug 18, 8:42 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 10,032 Thanks
    milann
    In the morning back Sunday night - it's only about an hour and a half away from home.

We tried to book for afternoon tea at Betty's tea rooms but it was full as they only take bookings for 1 room - we might queue for the general cafe but we might try somewhere else as the queues can br horrendous. As long as we go to the shop for his present I don't mind what we do - let the weekend unfold....we might even drive further into Yorkshire and come back to York to sleep.

Then the kids are taking us somewhere in a couple of weeks all together but it's a surprise. It'll just be nice being together.

Been having a tidy up and shuffling upstairs back to its proper place after visitors last week. Shattered.com
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 3rd Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,567 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Have a lovely weekend with DH . I was also sad about the B&Q card , next it will be senior concessions and railcard. Not that I am 60 for another 4 or so years.

Look forward to keeping up with your diet and blood pressure diary.
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    When I was in York the q's at Betty's were dire.

There is a great cat shop in York.

Have a great time xx

***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Aug 18, 9:46 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a lovely weekend with DH . I was also sad about the B&Q card , next it will be senior concessions and railcard. Not that I am 60 for another 4 or so years.

Look forward to keeping up with your diet and blood pressure diary.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Think you & I must be the same age!

***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 20,812 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    When I was in York the q's at Betty's were dire.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Some things are worth queuing for But appreciate when you are visiting for a short time you may not want to...
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    NSD December 5/31 AFD 2/10, SFD 0/10
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 4th Aug 18, 11:04 AM
    • 5,409 Posts
    • 32,192 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Love Betty's fat rascals
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 71,743.47, target 65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today 412.27 target 5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund 1,100/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 5th Aug 18, 6:17 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,567 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Milann hope you and hubby have had a fabulous weekend . Did the birthday present go to plan ?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Aug 18, 8:59 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all went well

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 6th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 10,032 Thanks
    milann
    Had a lovely weekend - 1st stop was the model shop where I'd ordered pressie for dh for our anniversary and his birthday (for the next 40 years the cost of it ) It couldn't have gone better - the shop is on far side of the town and I needed him to park nearby so we weren't carrying big box around. Just before we left home he decided to have some sort of electronic chip put into a train he already has - which would mean he needed to visit the shop first thing without me having to think how to get him there. So we parked up quite easily for an hour (it's notorious for parking) dashed to the model shop to drop said train off - just before we left the shop I asked the owner to get what he'd put away for me. Dh was speechless - it's a special, limited edition train with paintwork celebrating the companies 50th anniversary. There's only been a few made to order and should appreciate in price - as well as something he will enjoy - he was absolutely speechless and loved it. but he's looked after me over the years and I was just pleased to be able to surprise him.

We dropped the car at the hotel and bussed it into York - about a 10 minute ride but just a bit too far to walk with a broken toe. Had a mooch around the town where dh had suggested getting me a ruby ring - part of his plan - apparently he's been trying to think of how to get my rings off me to size them. However I've already got a 'red stone' ring he bought me years ago and hid in a cracker for me - it's very centimental as we had very little money at the time and I wouldn't want to replace it. So we were looking for necklaces - I saw some but couldn't believe the prices - I'd be scared to wear it.....so we're going to look near home where the prices of things aren't aimed at foreign tourists - and when I see it I'll know it - much safer than trusting dh judgement

We queued at Betty's - had to do it once - I had an afternoon tea which was nice but now I've done it wouldn't necessarily do again. Dh had a homemade quiche salad there - which I would do again as it was the nicest quiche I've ever tasted. But the queue did take the edge off a little. I'm glad I went though even if I don't go gain.

We had another walk around town followed by a couple of drinks by the river then we did an evening sail along the river and back to the hotel for a drink.

Sunday was a nice breakfast and trip to Whitby for a sea breeze. We mooched around, sat in the sun, had ice cream, a nice meal, a drink then headed home.

So it was a lovely weekend to celebrate our 40 years.
    Then we opened some cards when we got home and I was gobsmacked as his boss has given us enough cash for another weekend away - couldn't believe it.....
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you had a lovely weekend.
    Happy 40th anniversary

***Keep plodding***
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 6th Aug 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,567 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Lovely time by the sound of it, glad it went so well. I will be in Whitby on Saturday, fish and chips for me . Happy 40th wedding anniversary.
    • milann
    • By milann 6th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 10,032 Thanks
    milann
    We had fish and chips too - can't do Whitby without fish and chips. It was a cafe on the front on a corner with a few steps up - but just a bit fancier than a normal chippy. Think it was called Marine or Mariner piano bar cafe. They sell a good selection of drinks and even have a piano but there was no one playing it whilst we were there and they had a nice selection of deserts too.....just a bit more special than what we usually do as it was a special day but I couldn't deprive dh of his fish and chips that's ground for divorce in his eye - even after 40 years and they were rather delicious.

Got straight back on the SW regime today - i will lose a stone and get my blood pressure down without medication. I have to

A NSD here too today - had a very lazy day.
    • milann
    • By milann 7th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 10,032 Thanks
    milann
    I'm getting myself into bad habits I need to shake off. Dh is bringing me a cuppa up before he goes to work and I'm staying in bed watching to and reading until mid morning.....not a good habit to have. It's school holiday and there's nothing up with me but I feel as if I'm doing the things I did when I was off ill.

Tomorrow I will get up early and go to 9.30 slimming world and a swim then I'm rather excited as I'm expecting a visit from my fave nephew - dont get to see him often as he lives in the south west but he's working near here so will be good to see him.

My NSD day was scuppered yesterday when I realised I needed cold meats and fruit for dh lunches so 16 in @ldi. Today is the 1st day of new cc statement so I'm starting a spending diary - might make me curb things.....need some flowers to take to a friend who has just had surgery - I'll pop to see her later - otherwise no spends planned.
    • milann
    • By milann 8th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 10,032 Thanks
    milann
    Yesterday I spent 6 on flowers for a friend - she has had double mastectomy, hysterectomy, chemo and radio therapy over the last few years and was just getting back to 'normal' when she had a perforated appendix and very nearly lost the fight - we had a bit of a laugh about cats with 9 lives - an amazing lady.

Today I spent 55p on milk. I went to early SW got caught up in traffic so would have been late, then realised I didn't have my purse or my card so came home stopping off at shop for a pint of milk en route with odds of change in my bag....will try SW again tomorrow.

Nephew still not arrived. I baked a little cake for the 1st time since before I broke my arm but can't get the lid off the jam to put filling in. It's so frustrating

Just watched Persuit of Happyness - I love that film....
    • milann
    • By milann 9th Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 10,032 Thanks
    milann
    Had a strange visit today by salesmen saying they were doing survey about energy providers - I told them my usual 'no thanks' then the said they were doing it for MSE - had I heard of them - I said yes and no thanks. I wish I'd have got more info from them. I've not seen anything about surveys on the site... I suspect it was a way in to sell you something or was it genuine do you think?
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 9th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,567 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hope fave nephew turned up after you baking a cake. I doubt the sales people will be doing it for MSE , or am I just a doubting Thomas?

Enjoy your late mornings , that's what holidays are all about . Do you have anymore little trips before the start of school again ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

242Posts Today

1,565Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin