Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 1,992Posts
    • 9,669Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to 2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 26
    • milann
    • By milann 28th Jun 18, 9:44 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    Beanie - Lots of folk seemed to put on this week when they'd expected good things - the general opinion (read excuse ) was the heat making us retain water - sounds good enough to me and it had nothing to do with panini and cake I devoured earlier in the week.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 29th Jun 18, 7:17 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Have a good weekend in York , think it's this weekend. I have had ice cream every night this week !

I am back at the hospital tomorrow for stitches out. Have missed my swimming this week , will ask if I can go back in the pool tomorrow.
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • milann
    • By milann 29th Jun 18, 9:06 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    CL Weekend in York maybe in August for our anniversary so I can take dh to the shop I've bought his surprise from...still in planning stages.
    This week end we're going to dds in laws place in Southampton so early start tomorrow. should be a fun weekend with grandkids and their cousins from other side of family - some will be sleeping indoors and some in tent outside. We will all muck in - a big bbq planned and a Sunday lunch out

I've got loads to do but my get up and go has got up and gone.....best get a riddle o...
    • milann
    • By milann 29th Jun 18, 9:08 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    Hope it Les well at the hospital tomorrow CL
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 29th Jun 18, 9:15 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Ah Southampton, have a good trip .
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Jun 18, 11:11 AM
    • 58,054 Posts
    • 239,063 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your weekend milan
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • milann
    • By milann 4th Jul 18, 6:14 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    Had a lovely relaxed weekend at dds in laws - how the other half live springs to mind though. We were made very welcome but it made me think how some folk just take things for granted whereas others have to scrimp, save and do lots of fund juggling to get by. The conversations taking place with some adults and some of the children really opened my eyes and ears - they just take what mine would have thought impossible or a 1 off real treat as standard everyday occurrences - they were lovely well behaved children though just with very different experiences to what I'm used to. Hope they appreciate just how lucky they are. Food for thought me thinks....... I really hope as my grandkids grow up they don't think of us as the poor relations - I'm pretty sure they won't as my dd wouldn't let that happen. I couldn't compete even if I wanted to - what ya see is what you get - I'm happy with my lot on the whole

I've been really tired since we got back - it's lovely to see the sunshine but i need it a little cooler especially at night. I don't want to go back to winter just a few degrees lower would suit me nicely.

3 1/2 weeks until we break up for 5 weeks - I'm ready for it big time.

SW has gone out of the window - I'm terrible at the moment - it's too hot and my arm is sore so I'm going for the easy options - excuses excuses I know.
    • milann
    • By milann 5th Jul 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    So mad with myself - another pound and a half on tonight - feel like I'm throwing money down the drain....need to get my behind into gear BIG time

Went into Aldi and spent 22 - that's my 3 Rd food spend this week need to re start menu planning
    • milann
    • By milann 6th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    Another 5 spent today in B&M on a washing up bowl, bread and beans. I feel I'm just pouring lots of water down the drain when I could be collecting it in a bowl to water the flowers.

My dh has fallen hook line and sinker for the weekend in York for our anniversary and has booked a night a couple of miles out of York - not a bad deal including breakfast - he thinks my main reason for wanting York is to go for a fancy afternoon tea and sail along the river which is the story I've fed him - then I can casually suggest we just pop into the shop and pick up his present. Can't wait until August now

Ooohhhh there's much unrest at work as the management decide if support staff stay with the children they are with next year or get moved around. I'm happy either way but boy some staff are getting their knickers in a twist - it's quite amusing to see folks reaction - think I have a wicked streak as I people watch.
    • milann
    • By milann 10th Jul 18, 6:00 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    Just had to send some original paperwork as proof we exist to dh pension company 6.50 as a special delivery. But it's best to make sure they get there safely.

Still can't get my head into Slimming World - don't know what's got into me - well actually I suppose I do - crisps, ice lollies , chocolate and lots more food.

I don't do football - but I hope England get through tomorrow.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jul 18, 8:25 PM
    • 58,054 Posts
    • 239,063 Thanks
    beanielou
    SW & I are not friends at all at the moment.
    Too much ice cream & crap.
    Also not a footie fan but also hoping that England get through.
    I see Aldi are going to shut early on Sunday if they get through!
    Not sure if just down south or here too though?

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 11th Jul 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    Think it's all Aldi and Lidles Beanie.
    Can't switch my head into SW at the moment and I've paid fora countdown - must be half way through and I've lost a pound and a half - can't motivate myself and the more I try the more I go off plan.... Don't think I want to go tomorrow for weigh in - it'll be another gain....

I need payday on Friday - it's been a long month BUT if I go buying expensive presents for my dh it's what happens. It'll be paid in a couple of months from my cc but leaving me a bit skint paying it off quickly. When I ordered it they said it'd be towards the end of the year and I'd budgeted for that then it was ready early - plus I'm expecting a little something from my late mil's estate and it's taking forever - won't be much but I'd earmarked it going toward present. But at least once I've paid my cc again and if the estate is ever shared out to everyone - I can enjoy it and know I've bought the present myself not with his mums money - iykwim

Had a lazy picky tea tonight - couldn't bear the thought of heating the house by using the cooker. All whoopsied items except the salad - was a nice change.

Got a pesky fly buzzing around and it's driving me mad.

Roll on 2 1/2 weeks till we break up - I'm so ready for it. It's been a long hot half term.
    • milann
    • By milann 12th Jul 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    At the traffic light near slimming world I very nearly took the turn back home - then gave myself a kick up the backside - in my head is put about half a stone on....I weighed in and lost half a pound - granted not a massive amount - but much better than I expected. I'm back in the right frame of mind to do this...
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 12th Jul 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    At the traffic light near slimming world I very nearly took the turn back home - then gave myself a kick up the backside - in my head is put about half a stone on....I weighed in and lost half a pound - granted not a massive amount - but much better than I expected. I'm back in the right frame of mind to do this...
    Originally posted by milann
    Not as bad as you thought , well done
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • milann
    • By milann 12th Jul 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    It's just started raining here and it smells lovely. I can't remember the last time it rained.

Just watching Eat Well for Less - I know it's probably hyped up for tv but the shopping habits and takeaway habits make you think. I'm going to do a spending diary again just as a wake up as I'm slipping - nothing like the folk on tv but its a long time since I totted up my spends.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jul 18, 8:56 PM
    • 58,054 Posts
    • 239,063 Thanks
    beanielou
    Originally posted by milann
    I do weigh.
    You would be amazed how many people think they have had a bad week & either havent, have STS or even lost!!

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 14th Jul 18, 10:43 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    Well I started the day well with a bit of gardening - I was really pleased as I managed to sort out an area that was overgrown and had some crispy alpine plants that'd frazzled in the heat. I expected to have to do it in several goes but because of all the rain we'd had yesterday the soil was ok and even using just my left hand it took about an hour. I had to get a bit of brute strength from dh to take a conifer bush that had outgrown its space and a plant out. It's nearly beginning to look acceptable again after a year of neglect and being a building site

My brother phoned and asked us around for a bbq as its his birthday today so we went around via a friends who live in his direction. We had an unexpected lunch there and then went to a garden centre and I bought some plants and fairy houses - don't know if I've mentioned before but dh has a garden railway and we've been making a new little section where we had an old shed. It hasn't actually cost much until today as we've re used things around the garden. But every good garden railway needs a fairy garden and the grandkids will love it.

Then as we were at my brothers we mentioned my dd and her family are home in a couple of weeks and before I could stop myself I heard my voice asking the family around to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary which is the following weekend but we will be away. On my way home my brain kicked in as I realised the garden is improving but still a bit like a building site and I usually do my own catering but I'm still struggling in the kitchen....mmmm....not my brightest idea me thinks . But it's done now and at least we have a deadline to work to. need to see where's best for pre cooked catering food.....
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jul 18, 12:12 AM
    • 58,054 Posts
    • 239,063 Thanks
    beanielou
    Fairy garden sounds fab.

***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Jul 18, 9:36 AM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 31,662 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Any chance you could do the food incrementally or ask those coming to each bring a dish. Also if you go the BBQ route,isn't that a task for the male of the species?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 72,374.15, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 377.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 1,100/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 17th Jul 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    milann
    Sadly the garden isn't big enough for visitors, children and bbq as I'd have loved that - it's fine for a few but there's too many family. I've collared my sil to bring some stuff and the kids will help me, I think my friend will be able to take me to Costco.

I'm really pleased with the fairy garden - it's a tad tacky for the serious gardener but the granddaughters will love it and that's all that matters.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,011Posts Today

6,908Users online

Martin's Twitter