Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 1,725Posts
    • 8,065Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 16
    • milann
    • By milann 1st Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    milann
    I know SA - it's a good job I'm not the nervous type - it crossed my mind briefly that it could be correct but I've had too many investigations over the years and it's either a clerical error or the doctors making assumptions rather than taking my word and checking my past records.....I'll get it changed.

School closed today at 1am and is closed tomorrow - ice and wind and snow have made it really dangerous just like everywhere else. Lots of parents not happy though....

Not much to report MSE wise - 2 days of March NSDs - I need to pay in full this month and stop dilly dallying....and that's putting it politely.
    • milann
    • By milann 2nd Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    milann
    Another NSD here - no intention of moving out of the front door...
    No snow since yesterday but it's like sheet ice and high winds. The roof has blown off an old mill next to my kids old primary school. A few minutes walk from here. Luckily the school had a snow day - could have been disastrous ....or if had blown the opposite way onto a busy (usually) A road.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 54,988 Posts
    • 219,485 Thanks
    beanielou
    Another NSD day for me too.
    Not moving either.
    It sounds dire your way.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    milann
    Tis not good Beanie, but I suspect you area and others are much worse. It's the ice that's not good. I believe the main roads aren't too bad now but the side roads are like skating rinks.....at least the wind looks as if it's died down today. But I'm not of a mind to go out and test for myself.

Someone ended up in hospital yesterday as the roof from the mill went through his terrace house roof into his bedroom as he was getting up. imagine getting out of bed and something crashing into you from above.......

I've quite enjoyed watching the birds coming to the bird table. Been putting fresh water and food out regularly and I've seen birds i havent seen for ages.

Today I'm grateful for
    - my warm house and not having to go out of it today
    - my t'internet to keep me in touch with family members around the country to see they're safe
    - some seeds on my window ledge just beginning to sprout reminding me Spring is just around the corner
    Last edited by milann; 03-03-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    milann
    Forgot to say I had a letter from the hospital correcting the letter they sent - so I'm happy my records will be correct.

I've been reading some diaries today and they've made me realise how I'm just coasting and not being very pro-active on the money front and other things in general. Think I've become complacent as I'm so close to being debt free. Need to get my thinking cap on and take control again or I'm going to coast forever....lots of good intentions but not much action.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 54,988 Posts
    • 219,485 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the ;lettter.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 4th Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,015 Thanks
    savingholmes
    SH a lot of my debt was acquired whilst mine were at uni. It's a time I wouldn't want to return to and that was before the fees were as bad as they are today. It's an experience for them though - one I didn't take. You were doing so well clearing everything SH but we're all guilty of racking the debts again and again. At least you're doing something about it.

Today I'm grateful
    - the snow has melted
    - photos of my 2 gorgeous granddaughters in the snow this morning
    - my nice warm house
    Originally posted by milann
    Thanks Milann - If I stick to my budget it will work and I can give DS what he needs hopefully but not quite managing it so far. Lulled into false sense of security as supposed to be savings pots of money that are needed later in the year but instead dipping into them now.... Hopefully it will get easier.

Good to see you keeping a gratitude list - I always find that helps keep me on track too. Hope the medics sort things out soon for you
    Today is a new day £93/310 £10 a day Mar Challenge DFD August 2021
    • milann
    • By milann 5th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    milann
    Well today was my first day back at work full time. So I'm trying to be organised
    Yesterday I did an Aldi shop which should keep me going spent £35.
    So a NSD today.
    I've not meal planned day by day as I don't stick to it....
    But I've plannned 7 meals and have the food in for them

Shepherds Pie (leftovers from lamb dinner at my ds yesterday)
    Salmon, new potatoes asparagus
    Chicken tray bake with sweet potatoes, peppers, onions and courgettes. (2 nights)
    Jacket potato cottage cheese salad ( curry for dh from freezer)
    Pasta - ham and tomato sce
    Roast dinner - gammon or beef from freezer.

I've been swimming after work and for the 1st time in ages stayed within my SW plan .
    • milann
    • By milann 5th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    milann
    Today I am grateful for
    - swim and relaxing in spa suite after work
    - organisation - even if it doesn't last - I did it today
    - lack of the white stuff - snow
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 54,988 Posts
    • 219,485 Thanks
    beanielou
    Ooh get you & the spa suite

***Keep plodding***
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 6th Mar 18, 6:58 AM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,015 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Congrats on getting back to speed at work - and definitely good to see you relaxing afterwards in the spa
    • milann
    • By milann 6th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    milann
    Yeah the gym I go to has had a gorgeous refurb over the last year and the spa is amazing - hope the prices don't go up to reflect it next time. It's only slightly more than I paid when I went to the scheme the physio sorted for me which was reduced price at local council amenities where you had to take your own padlock for the lockers. I was going to go tonight but really want to pace myself and not do too much. I'll go again on Thursday or Friday.

I should get my cc statement in the next day or so and pay it off in full on payday. 3rd time lucky - I've posted that for the last couple of months.

Had a good day SW again - got a chicken from Aldi in the oven and it's smelling pretty good. Once it's cooked I'll cook some fennel, onion peppers and sweet potatoes and squash in the juices - split between 2 pans -1 with jerk seasoning and 1 with paprika and turmeric - yummy yummy in my tummy. This will do a couple of days at least

Not felt this organised since before I was off work last October
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 7th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,015 Thanks
    savingholmes
    HI Milann - I am doing SW too, lost 2 stone 4 so far but had a wobble the last few weeks. Need to get back on plan.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    • 54,988 Posts
    • 219,485 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am on & off the SW wagon~~surely that must help with shifting the blubber

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 8th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    milann
    Beanie I bought a countdown - I'm six weeks in and see sawed with 3 lb...tonight I lost the 2 I put on last time I was there 3 weeks ago- missed last week with the ice and booked a week hol before that for 1/2 term. I want to lost at least 1/2 stone before the end of the countdown or I'm jacking it in - but I suppose if I hadn't have gone I'd have put on and on and on....

I've not spent a penny since Sunday so am quite happy with that. I went out for a lovely meal with my friend - her treat - the plan was to walk to the pub and back but there was a sudden heavy shower so we jumped in her car....it was her treat !!!128512;Mmmm then I wonder why I don't lose weight faster.....

Now I'm at work properly I have no excuse but I've felt unusually organised !!!128514;!!!128514;!!!128077;
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 10:04 PM
    • 54,988 Posts
    • 219,485 Thanks
    beanielou
    I lost 1 1/2 tonight.
    Lowest weight this year.
    Like this year.
    Like you if I dident go............

***Keep plodding***
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 10th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,015 Thanks
    savingholmes
    I have to keep going to SW. Lost 2st 2 at the moment - this last month I've put half a stone on despite buying a 12 week countdown but just didn't have the energy / commitment to diet. Too busy at work. Now re-committed this week and hoping for a 2-4lb weightloss. If I get a decent loss easier to keep going....

I find my weight often mirrors my debt journey.... LOL
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,525 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I think that dieting and budgeting go hand in hand. It's the sticking to a plan thing. In both cases you have to be in the zone.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 11th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 11,497 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Thank you for reading my diary , it sounds like you know the area well. I am North Manchester , we are very lucky to have practically everything on our doorstep.

How is the SW going?
    CC1 £3475 May 2018
    • milann
    • By milann 12th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    milann
    I actually lost 2lb on Thursday which is a bit of a miracle in itself. It was over 3 weeks as I didn't go in the snow and had booked a holiday the week before for half term. I went out for a meal - a gorgeous Lebanese one courtesy of my ds - we do it the Saturday rather than Sunday when the world and his mum are out. But hoping to pull back and have a loss again. We are going to dds the week after Easter and I'm hoping to have lost at least half a stone by then. It is so right that the weight loss and spending go hand in hand. Although I know a lot of my weight gain this time was lack of activity and munching whilst I got my head around my last hospital visit.

Cumbrian my son lived in North Manchester for a while when he left home and although I don't actually live in Manchester now I'm actually closer to the centre than when I lived in Manchester a child. So I know parts of it pretty well.

I had a bit of a spendy day on Sunday - I spent £65 for a week shopping plus an outfit each for my granddaughters - I got quite a few whoopsied items for the freezer so was a happy Milann.

Can't wait until payday to do some number crunching - not long now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,156Posts Today

8,187Users online

Martin's Twitter