Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 61,883Posts
    • 124,626Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 124
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 7th Nov 18, 5:34 PM
    • 10,935 Posts
    • 11,480 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Went to B & M and the only tins they had were John West
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    Mine were "Ocean Fresh". Same small round tins as Aldi, 85g. Plain blue label with a colour-coded flash on the front for each different flavour.

I've tried one of them now, and it's very similar to the Aldi one, but not identical.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 7th Nov 18, 5:48 PM
    • 7,247 Posts
    • 31,520 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Mine were "Ocean Fresh". Same small round tins as Aldi, 85g. Plain blue label with a colour-coded flash on the front for each different flavour.

I've tried one of them now, and it's very similar to the Aldi one, but not identical.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Will have to try another branch. How much were they ? The John west were 80g, 1.25 each or two for 2.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 7th Nov 18, 5:50 PM
    • 10,935 Posts
    • 11,480 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Will have to try another branch. How much were they ? The John west were 80g, 1.25 each or two for 2.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    59p - no multibuy.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • redfox
    • By redfox 11th Nov 18, 10:50 AM
    • 13,772 Posts
    • 37,500 Thanks
    redfox
    while it’s easy to wander off-topic, that could stop newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see the forum rule) so please keep this thread on topic. If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

This thread is for posting about the good or bad buys from Aldi & Lidl. Please just keep it for that and not general chat about the stores. Thank you.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• maman
    • By maman 12th Nov 18, 6:16 PM
    • 18,707 Posts
    • 111,702 Thanks
    maman
    while its easy to wander off-topic, that could stop newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see the forum rule) so please keep this thread on topic. If youd like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

This thread is for posting about the good or bad buys from Aldi & Lidl. Please just keep it for that and not general chat about the stores. Thank you.
    Originally posted by redfox

I can't see anything on this page that isn't about good products from Aldi or Lidl and whether or not they've been discontinued. What's the problem?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Nov 18, 6:41 PM
    • 10,935 Posts
    • 11,480 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I can't see anything on this page that isn't about good products from Aldi or Lidl and whether or not they've been discontinued. What's the problem?
    Originally posted by maman
    Some posts have been deleted. Perhaps the Thread title needs changing to "Good and Bad Buying at Aldi & Lidl" to give a little more scope for tangents?

Meanwhile, back on the shop floor, I see that the Christmas ranges are out in force at both L&A. Not dived in yet, myself, but are there any products MSEers would recommend?

The Lidl "Appleby's" Ham (13 Slice pack) has been reformulated and is now more Hammy and less Spammy. Still at the good price of 1.39.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Nov 18, 7:04 PM
    • 26,672 Posts
    • 56,807 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Meanwhile, back on the shop floor, I see that the Christmas ranges are out in force at both L&A. Not dived in yet, myself, but are there any products MSEers would recommend?
    Apart from a box of mince pies a couple of weeks ago (which weren't brilliant) I'm holding off until December. I can wait a couple of weeks: until then, the most festive thing on my plate is going to be a satsuma!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Joan Number 1
    • By Joan Number 1 13th Nov 18, 12:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Joan Number 1
    Yes.
    Lebkuchen at Aldi, or to be more precise "Holly Lane Authentic German chocolate Lebkuchen hearts" in either milk or plain chocolate, 300g bags.
    At only 99p/bag they are almost criminally cheap and I defy anybody to open a bag of these and not finish the lot!
    My personal favourites are the plain chocolate version.

For those who might never have tried them, why not?
    You really don't know what you've been missing.

These Lebkuchen are similar to gingerbread but not really gingery (not helpful, sorry), a light spongy biscuit with a little apricot jam in the centre and then the whole thing is covered in chocolate.
    Delicious.
    Anybody trying these and not liking them please feel free to send them on to me.
    Yes I'm quite new so please give me a break.
    I do not mean to offend but like anybody else I am entitled to voice my opinion.
    Oh and I'm not spamming etc. either, though if I'm thought of otherwise blame supposedly non-existent mods.
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 13th Nov 18, 2:52 PM
    • 4,490 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    Lebkuchen
    Originally posted by Joan Number 1
    I'm trying to resist until closer to Christmas, as definatlely can't resist eating them all.
    I like the iced ones.
    • Joan Number 1
    • By Joan Number 1 13th Nov 18, 6:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Joan Number 1
    I'm trying to resist until closer to Christmas, as definatlely can't resist eating them all.
    I like the iced ones.
    Originally posted by RainbowDrops
    Lidl have bags of the smaller iced ones I saw today.
    I have put a few bags of the Aldi ones away.
    Hidden.
    Though they might not stay hidden for long.
    Yes I'm quite new so please give me a break.
    I do not mean to offend but like anybody else I am entitled to voice my opinion.
    Oh and I'm not spamming etc. either, though if I'm thought of otherwise blame supposedly non-existent mods.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 13th Nov 18, 6:19 PM
    • 7,768 Posts
    • 3,801 Thanks
    Stompa
    These Lebkuchen are similar to gingerbread but not really gingery (not helpful, sorry), a light spongy biscuit with a little apricot jam in the centre and then the whole thing is covered in chocolate.
    Delicious.
    Anybody trying these and not liking them please feel free to send them on to me.
    Originally posted by Joan Number 1
    Too late, the one's I bought last year were disgusting, and ended up in the bin.
    Stompa
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Nov 18, 9:00 PM
    • 26,672 Posts
    • 56,807 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Too late, the one's I bought last year were disgusting, and ended up in the bin.
    Originally posted by Stompa
    I think they are divisive in the same way as Marmite: love or hate them!

Luckily there are plenty of other Christmas indulgences to be had, eg stollen, panetonne, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, the list goes on...
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

1,448Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin