Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 61,883Posts
    • 124,626Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 119
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 21st Jun 18, 12:55 PM
    • 10,477 Posts
    • 10,632 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Has anyone managed to get hold of the new Halloumi fries from Aldi...
    Originally posted by holidaysforme
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/6443882/aldi-shoppers-furious-as-some-branches-have-already-sold-out-of-halloumi-fries/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Jun 18, 2:50 PM
    • 25,858 Posts
    • 55,071 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    National emergency As if we weren't fat enough as a nation

This is nice stuff from Lidl, at a good price (if a bit sweet). I'll probably try to diy the coconut version myself next time I see a thick and creamy yoghurt at a good price.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 22nd Jun 18, 1:09 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    FTBNow
    I'm not a fan of the Aldi halloumi fries: found them a bit rubbery.
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 22nd Jun 18, 10:37 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 13,990 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Has anyone managed to get hold of the new Halloumi fries from Aldi? I have been looking in various stores close to me for the last two weeks, but no joy
    I asked this morning after another fruitless attempt, and was told that they can not keep them in the freezer,- they are selling out on the first day. Customers are also limited to two bags at the moment
    Originally posted by holidaysforme

Yes, for the first time this week (and I think it's because I went in close to opening time). They were limited to 2 boxes per customer. I only had 1 as just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 22nd Jun 18, 11:09 PM
    • 25,858 Posts
    • 55,071 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Yes, for the first time this week (and I think it's because I went in close to opening time). They were limited to 2 boxes per customer. I only had 1 as just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
    Originally posted by BookWorm
    And what's the verdict...? Presumably you've lived, so now tell the tale.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 22nd Jun 18, 11:24 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 13,990 Thanks
    BookWorm
    And what's the verdict...? Presumably you've lived, so now tell the tale.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

I've never had them (or similar) before and so no real comparison for me. They made a nice change and I would eat them again. Although probably only occasionally
    • JIL
    • By JIL 29th Jun 18, 12:54 AM
    • 3,111 Posts
    • 20,459 Thanks
    JIL
    I managed to get two boxes of the hallomi fries just after they were launched. They came in a plastic bag,inside a box with a foil tray. I enjoyed the fries and used the trays a few times to make yorkshire puddings. I then couldn't get anymore until last week.
    The foil trays have gone and I made my fries for tea tonight. I just didn't enjoy them as much. They don't taste as nice as real halloumi. They are very thin. Not unpleasant, but not something I will rush to buy again.

Did folk see there was a £5 off a £30 spend (Lidl) voucher in Thursdays sun. I got one I think it was 50p for the paper, which went straight into the recycling after cutting out the voucher.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 29th Jun 18, 7:13 AM
    • 25,858 Posts
    • 55,071 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Did folk see there was a £5 off a £30 spend (Lidl) voucher in Thursdays sun. I got one I think it was 50p for the paper, which went straight into the recycling after cutting out the voucher.
    Originally posted by JIL
    No, but I've noticed one occasionally in The Metro on Thursdays.

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 29th Jun 18, 9:17 AM
    • 4,306 Posts
    • 15,508 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    My local Lidl changed their Thursday special offers at the last minute this week
    I went in this morning expecting to see kitchen and travel stuff in which I had no interest but instead they had Hiking equipment that I could have spent a fair bit of money on had I known in advance that it was going to be there.

I'm not sure just how mad I am at Lidl, on the one hand I'm annoyed that I got no notice of the specials so that I could plan my purchases and on the other hand I was unable to plan ahead so I've probably saved quite a bit of cash
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 81.8
    Total so far - 2481.6
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 29th Jun 18, 11:57 AM
    • 25,858 Posts
    • 55,071 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    My local Lidl changed their Thursday special offers at the last minute this week
    I went in this morning expecting to see kitchen and travel stuff in which I had no interest but instead they had Hiking equipment that I could have spent a fair bit of money on had I known in advance that it was going to be there.

I'm not sure just how mad I am at Lidl, on the one hand I'm annoyed that I got no notice of the specials so that I could plan my purchases and on the other hand I was unable to plan ahead so I've probably saved quite a bit of cash
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    It might just be karma, if it wasn't meant to be.

Next time you go to Lidl, go armed with a card. If fate is kind you'll find the same stuff with a couple of quid knocked off.

• Maz1963
    • By Maz1963 4th Aug 18, 1:52 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Maz1963
    Lidl bakery croissants
    Has anyone tried the croissants sold individually at Lidl at the bakery? I tried them for the first time yesterday and they are so good - such a nice texture inside and much better than the flat things I used to buy in a packet at Waitrose. Lidl is getting my vote more and more these days, and I see that they are starting to introduce things that I used to have to buy in other shops - their soya milk, for example, is very good. And of course the prices are much more favourable!
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 8th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 5,709 Posts
    • 24,668 Thanks
    Mirů
    Impulse buy from Lidl on Saturday was a bottle of the Hortus rhubarb & ginger gin liqueur, (£11.99) Seriously good with just a splash of tonic. Have had rhubarb flavoured gin before but was not sure about the added ginger. In fact the little kick of heat at the back of the throat was lovely. All gone now so am dying to try the Scottish Raspberry version. Only a couple of bottles of each left on the shelves on Saturday so it must be popular

Has anyone tried the Aldi passionfruit flavoured gin liqueur @ £9.99?
    Last edited by Mirů; 08-08-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 8th Aug 18, 1:40 PM
    • 6,409 Posts
    • 4,090 Thanks
    Ken68
    Usually go for their Scottish Morning Rolls at 17p.
    Went in mainly for the Polo shirts, didn't buy seemed a bit thin.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Aug 18, 5:56 PM
    • 10,477 Posts
    • 10,632 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I went into Lidl the other day in a hurry, and quickly grabbed the first frozen ready meal I could find that didn't have a shedload of salt. I ended up with 65p Spaghetti Bolognese, which I probably wouldn't normally buy. Having eaten it now, it was pretty good. Visible pieces of tomato, a rich sauce, but not too greasy and a decent portion of both sauce and pasta. Excellent VFM.

Also, new product at Aldi:-

Quinoa Bites (baked crisps made with Quinoa). Probably something of a gimmick, especially since quinoa is supplemented with other starchy ingredients. However, they are quite tasty with a texture a bit like the classic Smith's Chipsticks.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 08-08-2018 at 5:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MrsStepford
    • By MrsStepford 18th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    MrsStepford
    Twitter was going mad for the Halloumi fries so I asked Aldi if they are gluten free and sadly, they aren't.

Tip for the non-food items, have a look on the Aldi website as often you can buy the stuff online. I've had a garden sphere, glass bird bath. a canvas wall art thing and a jute pouffe so far.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,219Posts Today

5,072Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin