Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 61,883Posts
    • 124,626Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 119
    • Miró
    • By Miró 8th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 5,816 Posts
    • 25,203 Thanks
    Miró
    Impulse buy from Lidl on Saturday was a bottle of the Hortus rhubarb & ginger gin liqueur, (£11.99) Seriously good with just a splash of tonic. Have had rhubarb flavoured gin before but was not sure about the added ginger. In fact the little kick of heat at the back of the throat was lovely. All gone now so am dying to try the Scottish Raspberry version. Only a couple of bottles of each left on the shelves on Saturday so it must be popular

Has anyone tried the Aldi passionfruit flavoured gin liqueur @ £9.99?
    Last edited by Miró; 08-08-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 8th Aug 18, 1:40 PM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Ken68
    Usually go for their Scottish Morning Rolls at 17p.
    Went in mainly for the Polo shirts, didn't buy seemed a bit thin.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Aug 18, 5:56 PM
    • 11,071 Posts
    • 11,693 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I went into Lidl the other day in a hurry, and quickly grabbed the first frozen ready meal I could find that didn't have a shedload of salt. I ended up with 65p Spaghetti Bolognese, which I probably wouldn't normally buy. Having eaten it now, it was pretty good. Visible pieces of tomato, a rich sauce, but not too greasy and a decent portion of both sauce and pasta. Excellent VFM.

Also, new product at Aldi:-

Quinoa Bites (baked crisps made with Quinoa). Probably something of a gimmick, especially since quinoa is supplemented with other starchy ingredients. However, they are quite tasty with a texture a bit like the classic Smith's Chipsticks.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 08-08-2018 at 5:58 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MrsStepford
    • By MrsStepford 18th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    MrsStepford
    Twitter was going mad for the Halloumi fries so I asked Aldi if they are gluten free and sadly, they aren't.

Tip for the non-food items, have a look on the Aldi website as often you can buy the stuff online. I've had a garden sphere, glass bird bath. a canvas wall art thing and a jute pouffe so far.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 19th Aug 18, 7:44 AM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 4,477 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Twitter was going mad for the Halloumi fries so I asked Aldi if they are gluten free and sadly, they aren't.

Tip for the non-food items, have a look on the Aldi website as often you can buy the stuff online. I've had a garden sphere, glass bird bath. a canvas wall art thing and a jute pouffe so far.
    Originally posted by MrsStepford
    Why not just make your own? I'm intrigued as to how or why anywhere would actually sell them pre-made. Or are they pre-cooked then frozen and you just re-heat at home? Seems incredibly pointless and extremely lazy, if you ask me. At least buying frozen chips saves peeling and chopping, but cutting halloumi into chips takes literally 30 seconds
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 19th Aug 18, 7:54 AM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 4,477 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I'm not a fan of the Aldi halloumi fries: found them a bit rubbery.
    Originally posted by FTBNow
    Ermmmm halloumi IS rubbery

Ok, read a few more posts now in an attempt to find out more of what these halloumi fries are all about and quite frankly, I'm amazed at all the fuss!

Why not just make your own? Block of halloumi cut into chips, roll in flour and deep fry! What on earth could be simpler
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 21,182 Posts
    • 57,173 Thanks
    Pollycat

Ok, read a few more posts now in an attempt to find out more of what these halloumi fries are all about and quite frankly, I'm amazed at all the fuss!

Why not just make your own? Block of halloumi cut into chips, roll in flour and deep fry! What on earth could be simpler
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Not very simple if you don't have a deep fat fryer...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    • 27,058 Posts
    • 57,606 Thanks
    VfM4meplse

Not very simple if you don't have a deep fat fryer...
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Because a product that is only 70% fat needs to be nudged further up to 100%

I put a couple of boxes of frozen the pide in my trolley yesterday, 2 in a pack and reduced by 30% so 65p each. They tasted ok, but I think the equivalent bread products in the fresh bakery section are probably a better product at a better price. However, as I found yesterday, these pide have the unique advantage of being available to serve as a snack in 15 minutes flat when unexpected guests drop by and you have had a few. By that point the taste matters far less than its munchie-slaying qualities

ETA: the Milbona yoghurts I liked seem to have gone awol. Where they just a seasonal wonder?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 19th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    • 7,324 Posts
    • 31,851 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    In my Lidl today they have the John West Tuna Infusions basil flavour for £1.27. Think they are on offer in Morrisons at two for £2.50, but the usual price is £1.68
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 21st Aug 18, 9:17 PM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 8,200 Thanks
    Murphybear
    We bought some strawberries and cherries from Lidl this week.

The strawberries were hard, not very juicy and very acidic, they ended up in the bin. The cherries, I am pleased to report, were very good. They had a lovely flavour and were juicy. Our other supermarkets said they weren't getting any more cherries this year but Lidl said they would have them for at least 6 weeks.

Do Lidl have a magic cherry tree
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 22nd Aug 18, 3:52 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Got a bag of potatoes from Lidl yesterday they looked perfect but as soon as a peeler hit them they were all black inside.
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 22nd Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 4,890 Thanks
    RainbowDrops

The strawberries were hard, not very juicy and very acidic, they ended up in the bin.
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    I've had some lovely strabs from Lidl, but I find it's hit and miss with ALL supermarkets. Had some really dissapointing ones from Waitrose last week!
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 22nd Aug 18, 12:24 PM
    • 5,252 Posts
    • 6,648 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I've not had that problem with potatoes from any of the majors. I've no experience of Lidl but I stopped buying Aldi's potatoes a long while ago. The one significant weakness (beside stock control) of Aldi remains its fresh produce. It sounds like Lidl has similar problems.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 22nd Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 4,477 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I've not had that problem with potatoes from any of the majors. I've no experience of Lidl but I stopped buying Aldi's potatoes a long while ago. The one significant weakness (beside stock control) of Aldi remains its fresh produce. It sounds like Lidl has similar problems.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    Potatoes I bought from the Co-op last week were the same and the bag before, from Asda, I also had to throw some away.

But, in general, I've never had a problem with any of the fresh produce I buy in Aldi. I can't recall the last time I gad to through anything away that wasn't through my own failing, i.e. half a bag of salad leaves that had been open a week. I've still got carrots, onions and peppers in the fridge which I bought a month ago and still perfectly edible!
    • quoia
    • By quoia 22nd Aug 18, 11:12 PM
    • 13,165 Posts
    • 141,598 Thanks
    quoia

I needed some milk when I went to Lidl on Saturday, there were no 4 bottles left so I took 6 pints instead of a bottle with the latest expiry date, which was just 23rd Aug - ie tomorrow. It seems fine so far but I think I am going to make a rice pudding this evening rather than risk it curdling in my coffee. Is short-dated milk a national thing?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

I've no idea as I don't check the date, just keep using it until it starts to go off. Just checked my latest carton and it's dated 9th August and still perfectly fresh. I don't use much milk so 2 litres will easily last me a month.
    I wouldn't be concerned at all

I do look (and always buy the longest date if paying full price) but generally I already know because I almost always buy it at reduced prices on its last day.

I use my eyes, my nose, my tongue and only eventually & finally, the hot coffee test.

ONLY TODAY have I just finished the last of 20 pints (10 x 2 pints) I bought on August 4th, (DATED August 4th) in Sainsburys.

It was the blue top (full fat) - my preference in coffee, for hot chocolate, on my cornflakes, when making mashed potatoes or drinking ice cold last thing at night.

(I like semi-skimmed in tea)

Bottle number 7 went off about 5 days ago having only been opened the day before and only having used about half a pint, but the following 3 all lasted until finished.

They were all just kept in a normal fridge as usual.
    I've regularly done this for many years, generally using it for an average of over 2 weeks beyond the "recommended" date.

I think the longest ever has been 23 days.
    Depends a little on which milk and from which supplier
    I believe the consistently best performing (that also made 23 days) is Morrisons own label

This last lot has obviously only made 18 days

I don't always buy in such quantity, but given that they had been reduced to 1p each, 20 pints for 10p was hard to resist
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 24th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    • 11,071 Posts
    • 11,693 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I've started buying the Probiotic yogurt from L & A (lookalike to Activia), and I've been really impressed with every variety I've tried so far.

In particular, the Aldi Strawberry is very creamy with a strong hint of vanilla amongst the strawbs. The Lidl Cherry is a classic cherry flavour yogurt - a rich purple colour with lots of fruit and a really intense cherry flavour.

Lidl seems to have dropped the W5 Limescale remover. In its place a choice of Viakal, and a new cheaper spray gun "Limescale & Grime Remover". I have some Limescale and some Grime, so we shall see...
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 25th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Saw a couple of wonky veg boxes in Lidl today they were placed in front of the tills so you only saw them after you had paid and we’re leaving ?
    • maman
    • By maman 25th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    • 18,874 Posts
    • 112,633 Thanks
    maman

Lidl seems to have dropped the W5 Limescale remover. In its place a choice of Viakal, and a new cheaper spray gun "Limescale & Grime Remover". I have some Limescale and some Grime, so we shall see...
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

That's a shame. We live in a hard water area and only today I was using Viakal on the taps and thinking it's not half as good (nor smells so nice) as the Lidl stuff. I've got the Viakal spray and the squeezy bottle with the brush. I don't think either are as effective as Lidl.

It'll be interesting to hear what you think.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 30th Aug 18, 7:11 PM
    • 11,071 Posts
    • 11,693 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    That's a shame. We live in a hard water area and only today I was using Viakal on the taps and thinking it's not half as good (nor smells so nice) as the Lidl stuff. I've got the Viakal spray and the squeezy bottle with the brush. I don't think either are as effective as Lidl.

It'll be interesting to hear what you think.
    Originally posted by maman
    Okay, so I tried the new spray on a particularly tricky descaling job, and I was surprised by how effective it was. (It was a kitchen tap that has been dripping for a while and had left a trail of limescale on a resin sink).

The new spray doesn't fizz like the old liquid, but left for 5 minutes it had weakened a lot of the limescale so it could be wiped away. I used kitchen paper to get the liquid to stay in contact with the vertical surface. 3-4 applications over 20 minutes, and it was all gone. Great VFM at 79p.

• Jewels1207
    • By Jewels1207 31st Aug 18, 9:54 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Jewels1207
    I've just spent hours looking through the Aldi special buys onkine after reading a few posts here saying it was really good but was disappointed as everything I wanted was sold out!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

366Posts Today

2,354Users online

Martin's Twitter