Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 61,883Posts
    • 124,626Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 116
    • quoia
    • By quoia 10th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 13,104 Posts
    • 141,517 Thanks
    quoia
    If you think it's right up my street, I'm somewhat confused as you seem to be contradicting yourself.
    You show a photo of the strawberry but have previously said in an earlier post - purple text:

Just for clarity:
    I do not like anything that is sweet or even quite sweet.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Au Contraire

I was just responding to your "I'd prefer stuff to have no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners" and the fact that this product is exactly that.

As for the "Strawberry" image, that's the one that I originally posted - not sure Lidl had one for the Blackcurrant version, and I wasn't specifying that you should try that particular flavour.

And I did say that I was only "guessing" that the strawberry jam might be "quite sweet" because strawberries are naturally - I haven't tasted it yet.

If you "do not like anything that is sweet or even quite sweet" then most fruit will not be to your liking.
    Discarding the sweet strawberry, raspberry, pineapple, mango, apple, pear and other similar juicy packages of fructose, including oranges .....

... then I suppose your pleasure are lemons, limes, grapefruit, rhubarb and as you said before, very sour cherries.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•Ώ•)›
    ‹(•Ώ•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th May 18, 4:45 PM
    • 20,372 Posts
    • 54,755 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Au Contraire

I was just responding to your "I'd prefer stuff to have no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners" and the fact that this product is exactly that.

As for the "Strawberry" image, that's the one that I originally posted - not sure Lidl had one for the Blackcurrant version, and I wasn't specifying that you should try that particular flavour.

And I did say that I was only "guessing" that the strawberry jam might be "quite sweet" because strawberries are naturally - I haven't tasted it yet.

If you "do not like anything that is sweet or even quite sweet" then most fruit will not be to your liking.
    Discarding the sweet strawberry, raspberry, pineapple, mango, apple, pear and other similar juicy packages of fructose, including oranges .....

... then I suppose your pleasure are lemons, limes, grapefruit, rhubarb and as you said before, very sour cherries.
    Originally posted by quoia
    You suppose correctly.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 10th May 18, 8:02 PM
    • 6,996 Posts
    • 30,800 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Our local Aldi opened today after being closed for 11 months and it s fantastic. I read it's the largest in the UK. The range of products is amazing, but it was chaos. I can't believe a few years ago I virtually has the place to myself

Has anyone tried the strawberry daquiri ? It's in the alcohol section and you put it in the freezer then remove 25 minutes before drinking. It's amazing. The pina colada isn't bad either.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 10th May 18, 8:06 PM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 2,294 Thanks
    glider3560
    Still present at my local.
    Items that I'm missing are the "lazy ginger" in a jar, and the "ambient" fresh pasta ? gnocchi (non refridgerator, used t be with the dried pasta. Gutted about that as they were solid regulars on my shopping list.
    Originally posted by RainbowDrops
    Lidl seem to be playing around with removing certain products (or even whole ranges) from some stores, but keeping them in others, then switching them round again.

Basmati rice went missing from my store for months, it's now back. The jams have now all gone, but available elsewhere. Mine has also lost all the Indian curry sauce jars, except tikka and korma.

Aldi have really increased the product range recently (especially for frozen), which makes Lidl look rubbish in comparison. I'd be choosing Aldi everytime if I had one nearby (unfortunately stuck with a Lidl without car parking).

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 10,279 Posts
    • 10,277 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Guacamole is back at Lidl - despite a member of staff telling me (when it disappeared) that it was "gone forever".
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th May 18, 11:03 PM
    • 25,835 Posts
    • 54,936 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Just for clarity:
    I do not like anything that is sweet or even quite sweet.
    In that case, I'll have your share of the doughnuts
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 20,372 Posts
    • 54,755 Thanks
    Pollycat
    In that case, I'll have your share of the doughnuts
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    At the mention of donuts, I definitely need the sick bucket.
    The smell turns my stomach.
    You would be more than welcome to my 'share'.
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 11th May 18, 7:45 AM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 4,828 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    Guacamole is back at Lidl - despite a member of staff telling me (when it disappeared) that it was "gone forever".
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Ooh, great. I'll look out for it in my local. It was good value irc.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th May 18, 7:48 AM
    • 25,835 Posts
    • 54,936 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    At the mention of donuts, I definitely need the sick bucket.
    The smell turns my stomach.
    You would be more than welcome to my 'share'.
    Did you go through some kind of aversion therapy? My sugar habit is once again spiralling out of control.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th May 18, 8:26 AM
    • 20,372 Posts
    • 54,755 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Did you go through some kind of aversion therapy? My sugar habit is once again spiralling out of control.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Nope.
    Always disliked sweet things.

Don't eat biscuits or cakes.
    A 100gm bar of Green & Black's dark chocolate will last me a month.
    When I used to go out for a meal with work colleagues, they galloped towards the sweet course. I just savoured my main (and had an extra glass of wine).

I only have jam stirred into porridge (which I don't sweeten).
    I really struggle to find anything that isn't too sweet.
    Lime curd is good.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 11th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 15,300 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Nope.
    Always disliked sweet things.

Don't eat biscuits or cakes.
    A 100gm bar of Green & Black's dark chocolate will last me a month.
    When I used to go out for a meal with work colleagues, they galloped towards the sweet course. I just savoured my main (and had an extra glass of wine).

I only have jam stirred into porridge (which I don't sweeten).
    I really struggle to find anything that isn't too sweet.
    Lime curd is good.

Sorry for being off topic for the thread

I was once asked to make a low sugar version of my blackcurrant jam as the person said they disliked 'sweet' things, she gave back to me saying that it was not sweet enough and that was just my first attempt that I'd made using exactly half the sugar that I normally used.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 78.9
    Total so far - 2238.2
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th May 18, 6:15 PM
    • 25,835 Posts
    • 54,936 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I was once asked to make a low sugar version of my blackcurrant jam as the person said they disliked 'sweet' things, she gave back to me saying that it was not sweet enough and that was just my first attempt that I'd made using exactly half the sugar that I normally used.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Talk about ungrateful! What stopped her from adding sugar to it, the cheeky mare?

• robrymond
    • By robrymond 15th May 18, 10:35 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    robrymond
    Our local Aldi opened today after being closed for 11 months and it s fantastic. I read it's the largest in the UK. The range of products is amazing, but it was chaos. I can't believe a few years ago I virtually has the place to myself

Has anyone tried the strawberry daquiri ? It's in the alcohol section and you put it in the freezer then remove 25 minutes before drinking. It's amazing. The pina colada isn't bad either.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum

Is that the Burslem store? Be interested to see how different the new stores are
    • GAD1981
    • By GAD1981 15th May 18, 10:50 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    GAD1981
    We love the Aldi teriyaki chicken fillets. They are soooo good!
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 15th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 6,996 Posts
    • 30,800 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Is that the Burslem store? Be interested to see how different the new stores are
    Originally posted by robrymond
    Not Burslem, Tunstall. Absolutely massive, but very busy. Lots of new lines.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th May 18, 7:29 AM
    • 25,835 Posts
    • 54,936 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Pesto rosso is back at Lidl, so all is well

• glider3560
    • By glider3560 17th May 18, 8:48 PM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 2,294 Thanks
    glider3560
    Has anyone tried the replacement for Lidl's Simply Chicken Breast Fillets? Now £3.50 for 1kg, branded as "Danpo", who I believe are big in supplying the catering industry.

Bag has several Danish flags, the previous one was always from Poland. Water content is the same (apparently) but haven't defrosted any yet to find out.

In other chicken related news, I see Iceland have suffered shrinkflation. 1.5kg for £5.00 is now 1.35kg for £5.00. And now that means it is more expensive than Lidl.

• Ken68
    • By Ken68 17th May 18, 10:59 PM
    • 6,402 Posts
    • 4,090 Thanks
    Ken68
    [QUOTE=glider3560;74298257]Has anyone tried the replacement for Lidl's Simply Chicken Breast Fillets? Now £3.50 for 1kg.

Yes Glider, tried some the other day, no discernable difference, apart from the price. Was £3.33p kg.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 18th May 18, 6:18 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    I'm really enjoying Aldi's alcoholic ginger beer at the moment. It's a lovely summer drink with a real ginger kick.

Also the Thai green curry kit is fantastic. Have used it before on chicken and about to use it to make a veggie curry.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 20,372 Posts
    • 54,755 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm really enjoying Aldi's alcoholic ginger beer at the moment. It's a lovely summer drink with a real ginger kick.

Also the Thai green curry kit is fantastic. Have used it before on chicken and about to use it to make a veggie curry.
    Originally posted by holidaysforme
    What size bottles does the ginger beer come in?
    I love a good ginger beer, very refreshing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,894Posts Today

9,675Users online

Martin's Twitter