Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 61,883Posts
    • 124,626Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 115
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Apr 18, 1:14 AM
    • 25,631 Posts
    • 54,362 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Spinach is eaten all year round and don’t know anyone that eats it’s more in one period of the year
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I think I probably eat it more in the summer (baby leaves, anyway), I prefer it to heads of lettuce.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • quoia
    • By quoia 15th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 13,094 Posts
    • 141,506 Thanks
    quoia
    I noticed they have now stopped doing "Simply" strawberry jam (454g for 28p). The "Maribel" jams are now available in more flavours, but at a higher price: strawberry, cherry, blackcurrant, raspberry, apricot now 89p for 450g (previously strawberry, raspberry and apricot - 454g for 59p).
    Originally posted by glider3560
    There are actually two different products - Maribel *jam* in the three flavours, 59p/454g, and Maribel *conserves* in five flavours, 89p/450g. My store didn't have any jam for a few weeks, but they came back - so worth keeping an eye out. I think the conserves have a higher fruit content.
    Originally posted by glensmen
    Ah, I see! Checked the jar and it is indeed conserve, with 50g fruit per 100g of jam. Shame, since I went to Morrison's later, so could've just bought their Savers version (I only need it for a sponge cake, so actual pieces of fruit aren't really wanted).
    Originally posted by glider3560
    My black currant conserve says 40g per 100g.
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    In LIDL's leaflet (starting Thurs 19th)

99p for 220g

Lowicz Jams 100% fruit are the highest quality products, made from 100% fruit, prepared with 100g of fruit per 100g of product, without the addition of artificial sugar, which has been replaced by concentrated apple juice. Our jams have an excellent fruit consistency and flavour, they do not contain preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.

Choose from STRAWBERRY or BLACKCURRANT
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•Ώ•)›
    ‹(•Ώ•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    • 20,043 Posts
    • 53,765 Thanks
    Pollycat

99p for 220g

Lowicz Jams 100% fruit are the highest quality products, made from 100% fruit, prepared with 100g of fruit per 100g of product, without the addition of artificial sugar, which has been replaced by concentrated apple juice. Our jams have an excellent fruit consistency and flavour, they do not contain preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.

Originally posted by quoia
    Quite expensive per 100gm but I'd buy it over the cheaper versions.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 15th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    • 10,020 Posts
    • 9,896 Thanks
    Cornucopia

99p for 220g
    Thanks. It'll be interesting to see how it compares with the standard "Fruit Spread" available from the other supermarkets (St Dalfour) which is now over £2 a jar.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 15th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Thanks quoia I will definitely give that a try.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 2nd May 18, 8:23 PM
    • 3,734 Posts
    • 14,119 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Black grapes currently in Aldi for (I think) £1.65/500g are delicious and about twice the size of a normal grape, I wish I had taken note of the variety so that I could look for them again.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 77.7
    Total so far - 1537.8
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 2nd May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 10,020 Posts
    • 9,896 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Frozen Rice products which have recently been absent at both Aldi & Lidl are now back at my local Aldi, and there is a new frozen Risotto range which looks good VFM @ £1.29.

Still no sign of the individual portion fruit pots, which Aldi staff assured would be returning.

Special buy "Deluxe" Pears from Lidl last week were delicious and perfectly ripe.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 3rd May 18, 12:25 AM
    • 11,049 Posts
    • 29,449 Thanks
    suki1964
    There's a big taste and texture difference between the Aldi tuna I used and my usual Princes or John West.
    As I said, Aldi is more like tuna flakes.
    I've not bought Tesco value.
    Tuna is something I won't compromise on.
    At 75p per tin, Aldi was around the price I can get Princes/John West in HB, B&M etc in a 4 pack £3 or £3.25 for 4 tins) so I thought it was worth a try.
    It turned out not to be.

Aldi tin had a ring pull.
    It was a pain in the butt to open so failed on every level - for me.

Our Aldi hasn't been open long so I'm trying a few changes to my usual brands.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Tinned fish is the only thing Ive not swapped to Lidl - its all disgusting, just not worth the pennies saved imo other then the anchovies, they are ok

Dunno but the sardines, mackerel and tuna are soft and pappy to me
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th May 18, 10:44 PM
    • 25,631 Posts
    • 54,362 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Red pesto has mysteriously gone missing from Lidl shelves

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 9th May 18, 8:44 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    PLRFD

99p for 220g

I got the black currant one and tried it this morning it's really not very nice at all and went straight in the bin.
    • quoia
    • By quoia 9th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 13,094 Posts
    • 141,506 Thanks
    quoia
    I got the black currant one and tried it this morning it's really not very nice at all and went straight in the bin.
    Originally posted by PLRFD

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

You got me worried there for a moment.

I bought both flavours but hadn't opened either .......

... until 20 minutes ago.

Just had the blackcurrant one on a croissant.

It's lovely.

Like any "reduced sugar" jam it's not a sweet as "normal" jam, and this is especially so with ones made from quite tart fruits like blackcurrants, blackberries, blueberries etc.

I'm guessing but I bet the strawberry one is quite sweet, like a reduced sugar raspberry one (Sainsbury's brand) that I buy at the minute.

Just to be sure that it wasn't the croissant making it edible, I've just had half a teaspoon straight from the jar.

I will admit, it is a little different to what you might imagine or expect it to be, but the best way to describe it is that it is
    SPREADABLE RIBENA

As for it "went straight in the bin" - not very MSE

Retrieve it immediately (presume the jam is still in the jar ) - pop it in the fridge and wait until you make an APPLE PIE.
    Pop a few small dollops around and amongst the sliced apples before putting the pastry lid on and baking.

It'll be DELICIOUS

Q

(11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th May 18, 12:16 PM
    • 20,043 Posts
    • 53,765 Thanks
    Pollycat

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

You got me worried there for a moment.

I bought both flavours but hadn't opened either .......

... until 20 minutes ago.

It's lovely.

Like any "reduced sugar" jam it's not a sweet as "normal" jam, and this is especially so with ones made from quite tart fruits like blackcurrants, blackberries, blueberries etc.

I'm guessing but I bet the strawberry one is quite sweet, like a reduced sugar raspberry one (Sainsbury's brand) that I buy at the minute.

Just to be sure that it wasn't the croissant making it edible, I've just had half a teaspoon straight from the jar.

I will admit, it is a little different to what you might imagine or expect it to be, but the best way to describe it is that it is
    SPREADABLE RIBENA

As for it "went straight in the bin" - not very MSE

Retrieve it immediately (presume the jam is still in the jar ) - pop it in the fridge and wait until you make an APPLE PIE.
    Pop a few small dollops around and amongst the sliced apples before putting the pastry lid on and baking.

It'll be DELICIOUS

Q
    Pass the sick bucket.
    I'm out.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th May 18, 8:22 PM
    • 25,631 Posts
    • 54,362 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Pass the sick bucket.
    I'm out.
    I'm actually rather intrigued. The berry one actually sounds more like a compote.

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th May 18, 8:28 PM
    • 10,020 Posts
    • 9,896 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The Strawberry one was very nice, and I have some unopened Blackcurrant, too. Curious to see what it's like given the "mixed reviews".

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th May 18, 10:13 PM
    • 20,043 Posts
    • 53,765 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm actually rather intrigued. The berry one actually sounds more like a compote.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Described by quioa as 'not as sweet as normal jam' then like 'spreadable Ribena' doesn't make sense to me.
    I find Ribena sickly sweet.
    Hence my 'pass the sick bucket' comment.

Lidl used to do a sour cherry conserve which, whilst not as sour as I'd like, wasn't bad.
    No idea if they still sell it.
    • quoia
    • By quoia 9th May 18, 11:55 PM
    • 13,094 Posts
    • 141,506 Thanks
    quoia
    Described by quioa as 'not as sweet as normal jam' then like 'spreadable Ribena' doesn't make sense to me.
    I find Ribena sickly sweet.
    Hence my 'pass the sick bucket' comment.

Lidl used to do a sour cherry conserve which, whilst not as sour as I'd like, wasn't bad.
    No idea if they still sell it.
    Perhaps I should have said No-added Sugar Ribena, Light or Really Light Ribena.

(having said that they've revamped all the recipes in the last few months due to the sugar tax and introduced artificial sweeteners so as not to fall foul of it - much to the annoyance and complaints of the vast majority of Ribena lovers worldwide according to the press)

I'd say it has a FLAVOUR similar to that of Ribena, which is quite different to a fresh raw blackcurrant for instance, and definitely dissimilar to the 45% fruit reduced sugar Sainsburys branded jam I finished last week.

However, just to clarify, the vast majority of Ribena I consume generally is one third of a measure where the other two thirds is VODKA

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th May 18, 7:24 AM
    • 20,043 Posts
    • 53,765 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'd prefer stuff to have no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners.
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 10th May 18, 9:55 AM
    • 4,430 Posts
    • 4,816 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    Red pesto has mysteriously gone missing from Lidl shelves
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Still present at my local.
    Items that I'm missing are the "lazy ginger" in a jar, and the "ambient" fresh pasta ? gnocchi (non refridgerator, used t be with the dried pasta. Gutted about that as they were solid regulars on my shopping list.
    • quoia
    • By quoia 10th May 18, 3:05 PM
    • 13,094 Posts
    • 141,506 Thanks
    quoia
    I'd prefer stuff to have no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners.
    In which case THIS is RIGHT UP YOUR STREET

Lowicz Jams 100% fruit are the highest quality products,

made from 100% fruit, prepared with 100g of fruit per 100g of product

without the addition of artificial sugar

which has been replaced by concentrated apple juice

Our jams have an excellent fruit consistency and flavour

they do not contain preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th May 18, 3:23 PM
    • 20,043 Posts
    • 53,765 Thanks
    Pollycat
    In which case THIS is RIGHT UP YOUR STREET

Lowicz Jams 100% fruit are the highest quality products,

made from 100% fruit, prepared with 100g of fruit per 100g of product

without the addition of artificial sugar

which has been replaced by concentrated apple juice

Our jams have an excellent fruit consistency and flavour

they do not contain preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.
    If you think it's right up my street, I'm somewhat confused as you seem to be contradicting yourself.
    You show a photo of the strawberry but have previously said in an earlier post - purple text:

It's lovely.

Just for clarity:
    I do not like anything that is sweet or even quite sweet.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,265Posts Today

7,494Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin