Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 61,883Posts
    • 124,626Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 114
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 7th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    • 5,252 Posts
    • 6,648 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I can recommend Aldi's knock-off almond Magnums. They are as good, or perhaps even better, than the 'real thing'.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    • 11,465 Posts
    • 30,902 Thanks
    suki1964
    I can recommend Aldi's knock-off almond Magnums. They are as good, or perhaps even better, than the 'real thing'.
    Originally posted by A. Badger

The lidl ones are excellent as well, plus they do the mini size which I prefer
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • glensmen
    • By glensmen 7th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    glensmen
    I noticed they have now stopped doing "Simply" strawberry jam (454g for 28p). The "Maribel" jams are now available in more flavours, but at a higher price: strawberry, cherry, blackcurrant, raspberry, apricot now 89p for 450g (previously strawberry, raspberry and apricot - 454g for 59p).
    Originally posted by glider3560
    There are actually two different products - Maribel *jam* in the three flavours, 59p/454g, and Maribel *conserves* in five flavours, 89p/450g. My store didn't have any jam for a few weeks, but they came back - so worth keeping an eye out. I think the conserves have a higher fruit content.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 7th Apr 18, 2:15 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    glider3560
    There are actually two different products - Maribel *jam* in the three flavours, 59p/454g, and Maribel *conserves* in five flavours, 89p/450g. My store didn't have any jam for a few weeks, but they came back - so worth keeping an eye out. I think the conserves have a higher fruit content.
    Originally posted by glensmen
    Ah, I see! Checked the jar and it is indeed conserve, with 50g fruit per 100g of jam. Shame, since I went to Morrison's later, so could've just bought their Savers version (I only need it for a sponge cake, so actual pieces of fruit aren't really wanted).

• sillyme673
    • By sillyme673 9th Apr 18, 11:56 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    sillyme673
    Husband says the single pot instant golden syrup porridge are lovely, from Aldi. He only has kettle at work so these are a cheap breakfast.
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Apr 18, 7:09 AM
    • 21,182 Posts
    • 57,173 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Good news and bad news:
    The Kavanagh wholemeal organic porridge from Aldi (£1.49 for 1kg) is very nice.

However, the tuna chunks in sunflower oil are very much not nice.
    More like flaked tuna (which is usually cheaper).
    I bought one tin to try at 75p. The drained weight was better than other brands but I'm going back to Princes or John West.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 10th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Ah, I see! Checked the jar and it is indeed conserve, with 50g fruit per 100g of jam. Shame, since I went to Morrison's later, so could've just bought their Savers version (I only need it for a sponge cake, so actual pieces of fruit aren't really wanted).
    Originally posted by glider3560
    My black currant conserve says 40g per 100g.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 10th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 7,505 Posts
    • 10,919 Thanks
    KxMx
    Good news and bad news:

However, the tuna chunks in sunflower oil are very much not nice.
    More like flaked tuna (which is usually cheaper).
    I bought one tin to try at 75p. The drained weight was better than other brands but I'm going back to Princes or John West.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    For chunks in brine I've not noticed any difference between Lidl & Tesco Value.

As the Lidl tuna comes in a ring pull can (Tesco doesn't for value or standard), I'm sticking with them.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th Apr 18, 2:40 PM
    • 11,068 Posts
    • 11,690 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Good news and bad news:
    The standard Aldi porridge oats are now branded Mornflake (75p for 1kg).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 10th Apr 18, 4:19 PM
    • 5,252 Posts
    • 6,648 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Mornflake is a very old brand (founded in the 1940s). Which isn't to say that it didn't make Aldi's own label but it possibly isn't exactly the same product.

Aldi does this occasionally - replaces an own label item with a product from an established brand. For the past few months it has been selling Wall's Scotch eggs instead of its previous own label equivalent.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Apr 18, 5:19 PM
    • 21,182 Posts
    • 57,173 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've just downgraded from Quaker Oats single sachets so I'm happy with the Aldi one I've just started using (organic wholemeal). A 1kg bag will last me a long time.
    It may be twice as expensive as the Mornflake but cost is not really an issue.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Apr 18, 5:28 PM
    • 21,182 Posts
    • 57,173 Thanks
    Pollycat
    For chunks in brine I've not noticed any difference between Lidl & Tesco Value.

As the Lidl tuna comes in a ring pull can (Tesco doesn't for value or standard), I'm sticking with them.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    There's a big taste and texture difference between the Aldi tuna I used and my usual Princes or John West.
    As I said, Aldi is more like tuna flakes.
    I've not bought Tesco value.
    Tuna is something I won't compromise on.
    At 75p per tin, Aldi was around the price I can get Princes/John West in HB, B&M etc in a 4 pack £3 or £3.25 for 4 tins) so I thought it was worth a try.
    It turned out not to be.

Aldi tin had a ring pull.
    It was a pain in the butt to open so failed on every level - for me.

Our Aldi hasn't been open long so I'm trying a few changes to my usual brands.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th Apr 18, 7:32 AM
    • 7,976 Posts
    • 14,451 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    A customer that came from Aldi said to me the reason for not selling cress is a seasonable item. It is grown all year round in greenhouse/poly houses conditions. I remember at playschool growing some in an eggshell with a ball of wet cottonwool. I had the same response 2 years ago for spinach.

Do Aldi train their staff to say this? I don't know other supermarkets that don't sell cress or spinach for some parts of the year.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Apr 18, 7:40 AM
    • 21,182 Posts
    • 57,173 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A customer that came from Aldi said to me the reason for not selling cress is a seasonable item. It is grown all year round in greenhouse/poly houses conditions. I remember at playschool growing some in an eggshell with a ball of wet cottonwool. I had the same response 2 years ago for spinach.

Do Aldi train their staff to say this? I don't know other supermarkets that don't sell cress or spinach for some parts of the year.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    We did it with blotting paper but maybe there is no call for that anymore.

TBH, cress isn't something I look for in a supermarket.
    Other than egg sarnis, what is its use?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 12th Apr 18, 8:16 AM
    • 6,800 Posts
    • 19,689 Thanks
    Doc N

Theyíre talking about seasonable in terms of when most people want to buy it, rather than when itís grown.

Aldi and Lidl have limited shelf space and low prices depend very much on fast turnover.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 7,976 Posts
    • 14,451 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Theyíre talking about seasonable in terms of when most people want to buy it, rather than when itís grown.

Aldi and Lidl have limited shelf space and low prices depend very much on fast turnover.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Spinach is eaten all year round and donít know anyone that eats itís more in one period of the year
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 12th Apr 18, 10:42 AM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Aldi definitely sell spinach as do Lidl. Although I've never seen cress on sale at either.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 12th Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    • 6,800 Posts
    • 19,689 Thanks
    Doc N
    Spinach is eaten all year round and don!!!8217;t know anyone that eats it!!!8217;s more in one period of the year
    I appreciate that, obviously - but I think we have to accept that Aldi and Lidl are pretty sophisticated when it comes to knowing what sells best and when, and maximising the use of limited shelfspace.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    • 21,182 Posts
    • 57,173 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've just downgraded from Quaker Oats single sachets so I'm happy with the Aldi one I've just started using (organic wholemeal). A 1kg bag will last me a long time.
    It may be twice as expensive as the Mornflake but cost is not really an issue.
    I looked at the cheap porridge this morning in Aldi, part of the bag is see through.

The flakes looked very small and 'bitty', not like the Kavanagh organic wholemeal at all.
    I don't think I'll be changing to that when I've munched my way through the 1kg bag I have - but thanks for suggesting it.
    • pakokelso93
    • By pakokelso93 12th Apr 18, 10:25 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    pakokelso93
    Mornflake is a very old brand (founded in the 1940s). Which isn't to say that it didn't make Aldi's own label but it possibly isn't exactly the same product.

Aldi does this occasionally - replaces an own label item with a product from an established brand. For the past few months it has been selling Wall's Scotch eggs instead of its previous own label equivalent.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    Presume it's the same Mornflake but the single pots and bags of oats that you get in HomeBargains - It is the bst porridge bar none. I love the pots with golden syrup (lyles - the proper stuff in it) - easy to take to work!
    PK!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,080Posts Today

7,050Users online

Martin's Twitter