Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 61,883Posts
    • 124,626Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 108
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Feb 18, 12:49 AM
    • 25,469 Posts
    • 54,171 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Definitely a bad buy!!!
    Urgent recall issued after bits of a rat found inside Aldi bags of frozen veg.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 6th Feb 18, 1:13 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    treboeth
    Was it because the extra protein wasn`t declared on the ingredients
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 6th Feb 18, 6:47 AM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 4,931 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    Lidl are now putting Best Before dates on their produce, instead of codes - falling in line with Aldi. A big improvement.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    So even more perfectly good food going to waste because people notice yesterday's date on the packaging and throw it away, instead of using their judgement.

I thought stores were being discouraged from doing this.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 6th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 6,623 Posts
    • 19,494 Thanks
    Doc N
    So even more perfectly good food going to waste because people notice yesterday's date on the packaging and throw it away, instead of using their judgement.

I thought stores were being discouraged from doing this.
    Originally posted by VoucherMan
    Lidl were one of the only stores (maybe THE only store) doing this, and putting a date rather than a code is just simple transparency, treating customers with more respect.

Aldi and Lidl both have weaker supply chains (not a full cool chain) than stores like Waitrose and Tesco, resulting inevitably in shorter shelf lives. I don't have a great problem with that (for the lower prices) but it is essential to watch the BB dates and I found having to translate the Lidl ones a minor annoyance.

Customers can surely be educated to know the difference between 'Use by' and 'Best Before' and apply their own commonsense, but finding produce deteriorating within a day or two of purchase is inexcusable, and this transparency makes that less likely.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 6th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 7,698 Posts
    • 3,760 Thanks
    Stompa
    Originally posted by VoucherMan
    I want dates on produce, not because I intend throwing them away once the date is passed, but to enable me to more easily identify the freshest produce on display.
    Stompa
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 6th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I'm with Stompa, although one of the Aldi staff showed me once how to read the codes they then used on the fruit and veg, so that I could identify the freshest produce. Each week had a number, once you had cracked that, it was clear.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Feb 18, 3:29 PM
    • 17,782 Posts
    • 106,526 Thanks
    maman
    I checked back on receipts and I notice that the price has been rising steadily for some months not just a couple of weeks. I think it's just that going into the next 10 bracket made me notice.

Before Christmas I ate from the freezer a lot to create space for the turkey and other festive bits. So I have had to buy more meat than usual in recent weeks.

I'll find a way of cutting back a bit (DH says he'll happily try a few veggie meals) but it must be so hard for some families.
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 8th Feb 18, 7:57 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    robrymond
    Noticed in the last week quite a few price drops after the pre-Xmas rises, however my shopping weekly now seems to creep into the 50 bracket more and more.

A big con this week is the cheeses which have increased to 400g from 350g with a 'bigger better value' sticker on them. Except the per KG cost is 2p more at 4.73 a KG versus the 4.71 a KG in the old size.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 9,829 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    A big con this week is the cheeses which have increased to 400g from 350g with a 'bigger better value' sticker on them. Except the per KG cost is 2p more at 4.73 a KG versus the 4.71 a KG in the old size.
    Originally posted by robrymond
    That seems relatively benign compared to the more general "shrinkflation" we see elsewhere.

Most of my L & A shopping basket has either known long-term prices (for example, the premium sliced bread has been 79p for a couple of years, the Soya Milk 59p for many, many years), or seasonal pricing and offers (like fresh fruit & veg), and there are even one or two on-going reductions (French Brie reduced by 15%, and Lentil Curls reduced by 25%).

(all the above prices and reductions are available in both Lidl and Aldi).

Even slightly niche products like Lidl Trail Mix with its imported ingredients have been the same price for a long while.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 7,624 Posts
    • 13,788 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Had Aldi's SS Thai Style Prawn, Chilli and Lemongrass fishcake. Very tasty. Seriously recommend if like fishcakes
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Feb 18, 11:20 PM
    • 25,469 Posts
    • 54,171 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Aldi and Lidl both have weaker supply chains (not a full cool chain) than stores like Waitrose and Tesco, resulting inevitably in shorter shelf lives.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I did not know that. I just assumed a full cold chain was regulated as an industry standard.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 9th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Lidl's Nespresso compatible coffee pods have changed,much reduced packaging which is good and the pods now have a sort of foil front and back,my Magimix machine likes them much better a much more efficient flow through the pod happy with these.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 9th Feb 18, 11:57 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Lidl's Nespresso compatible coffee pods have changed,much reduced packaging which is good and the pods now have a sort of foil front and back,my Magimix machine likes them much better a much more efficient flow through the pod happy with these.
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    Thanks for letting us know about this, I've never seen them in Lidl, but haven't checked their tea and coffee aisle in some time. The Aldi ones are very good indeed. Taylor's are the worst, I was sent some to review and three out of the ten jammed in two different varieties, not what you expect from that company.

I use a Krups Pixie Clips which is a pretty good little machine, although next time I want one that delivers more than 70ml as a lungo.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 12th Feb 18, 6:39 AM
    • 13,035 Posts
    • 41,188 Thanks
    sarah1972
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/surf-tropical-laundry-liquid-2-1l/p/083260200773300

60 wash Surf Tropical Laundry liquid. 5.99 delivered.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 13th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/surf-tropical-laundry-liquid-2-1l/p/083260200773300

60 wash Surf Tropical Laundry liquid. 5.99 delivered.
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    I love the Specialbuy delivery service. I've mentioned it before, and I'll probably mention it again. When they have sales, you can get items even cheaper and still post-free. Not only that, but the delivery service they use lets you send texts to your delivery driver so that you can give him/her a special message, if needed. (In my area, anyway),
    Really, really pleased with every aspect of the service.
    • ladybabe
    • By ladybabe 14th Feb 18, 12:44 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    ladybabe
    aldi froze sardines plain and lemon butter (i would not bother just not much taste to either)
    weird as white bait and mussels frozen lovely
    they have started doing (think a special buy) salmon john west moccam lunch meal very nice
    Only debt left the mortgage now to clear that asap :-)
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 14th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    • 5,183 Posts
    • 6,593 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I love the Specialbuy delivery service. I've mentioned it before, and I'll probably mention it again. When they have sales, you can get items even cheaper and still post-free. Not only that, but the delivery service they use lets you send texts to your delivery driver so that you can give him/her a special message, if needed. (In my area, anyway),
    Really, really pleased with every aspect of the service.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Agreed. I've used it several times and it works very well.
    • dawnie1972
    • By dawnie1972 17th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 10,970 Thanks
    dawnie1972
    Lidl fresh cherries - don't touch them!! Mine went mouldy and were inedible within 2 days AND they don't have a use by date on them so go knows how fresh (or not) they are
    A home is not a home ..... without a dog
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 17,782 Posts
    • 106,526 Thanks
    maman
    I did my Aldi shop in a different store today. This one had the produce arranged a bit differently and better IMO. It was refurbished (have they all been done now?) so I don't mean the old layout. Cheeses and cold meats were reversed and yogurt next to cheese but what I liked most was that all the sweets, biscuits and cakes were together in the last aisle. Also I noticed diet tonic was separate from the other mixers so no need to pull precariously at the fixture to dig it out.

Is this a general change or just this store?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Feb 18, 6:14 PM
    • 25,469 Posts
    • 54,171 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Lidl I think are guilty of pulling a fast one. Their Fin Carr! chocolate (white and milk) has gone up by 9p per 100g bar, and a new budget bar has been introduced at 30p (former Fin Carr! price). I bought some purely to taste test and wasn't impressed. The milk chocolate was almost inedible (the Fin Carr! isn't brilliant) and the white not up to much either. Avoid both.

Also they don't seem to do a diet version of their 250ml tins of tonic water. Not that either version is any good for me, less so still when it's mixed with gin.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,318Users online

Martin's Twitter