Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 61,883Posts
    • 124,626Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 107
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 31st Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    What makes you think I am in any way accountable to you or anyone else for the choices I make?
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    That wasn't my point!
    You are free to comment where you like, of course.

However, a post on Aldi's policies by someone who does not, and has never, shopped in the store is way off topic on a thread entitled "Good and Bad Buys from Aldi and Lidl.".

Hopefully we can now return to posting news of the good (and bad buys) from Aldi and Lidl. The whole point of having an MSE thread is to stay on topic, so that people see a thread title and can find relevant moneysaving information.

You are perfectly free to start your own thread on the topic of Aldi returns policy, of course, even if it is something you have no apparent personal knowledge of.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 2nd Feb 18, 11:23 PM
    • 9,932 Posts
    • 9,807 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I've had several varieties of the "Steamer" Frozen Ready Meals which are back in full force after a Christmas lull, and they've been delicious (I think they must have had a recipe tweak whilst they were away).

Of particular note:-

Aldi Tandoori Chicken (Chicken pieces with a creamy curry sauce, potatoes, peas and other veg).

Lidl Salmon & Dill Pasta (A smallish number of salmon pieces with a creamy dill sauce, pasta, green beans and other veg).

£1.29 in Aldi, £1.49 in Lidl.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 4th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    I don't often venture in here, but Lidl is selling 250g of camembert for 39p. We ended up buying three and still weren't convinced it would go through the till for that, but it did. They're usually over £1.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 4th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 6,619 Posts
    • 19,489 Thanks
    Doc N
    More as an aside than anything else, but apparently Aldi are now accepting Amex cards instore (not online).

Good news for anyone using Amex for cashback.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Feb 18, 8:38 PM
    • 10,858 Posts
    • 28,873 Thanks
    suki1964
    Has anyone bought the sonic toothbrushes from Lidl in the past?

They are in store again next week (Lidl NI) and I'm interested as the replacement heads are so cheap

Any feedback?
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 5th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 6,619 Posts
    • 19,489 Thanks
    Doc N
    Two little updates:

Lidl are now putting Best Before dates on their produce, instead of codes - falling in line with Aldi. A big improvement.

Aldi are supposed to be taking Amex and the staff have been notified accordingly. Unfortunately, though, the tills think otherwise.
    • abandonded
    • By abandonded 5th Feb 18, 4:29 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    abandonded
    Addressing Smodlet, mcculloch29 said:

You are free to comment where you like, of course.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    How very kind of you!

However, a post on Aldi's policies by someone who does not, and has never, shopped in the store is way off topic on a thread entitled "Good and Bad Buys from Aldi and Lidl.".
    Perhaps it escaped your notice but using your own terms, the thread went off topic at reply #2111 when the returns policy was introduced. And the OP may shop at lidls!

Hopefully we can now return to posting news of the good (and bad buys) from Aldi and Lidl.
    is this directed at those who went off topic after #2111 in general or the OP in particular?

You are perfectly free to start your own thread on the topic of Aldi returns policy, of course, even if it is something you have no apparent personal knowledge of.
    Smodlet did not start the discussion on Aldi!!!8217;s returns policy, he simply used the freedom to comment where he likes, to contribute to the off topic part of this thread.

I do apologise for going off topic.
    Abandoned
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 5th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 6,965 Posts
    • 30,787 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Not a Best Buy but has anyone seen the report that half a rat has been found in some frozen Aldi veg ? Apparently Aldi have removed 38,000 packets from their stores but it doesn't say specifically which veg

Really funny that some people are saying "thank goodness I shop at wait rose / Asda / Morrisons etc" without realising that the same processing plant probably does the veg for everyone and just uses different packaging.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 5th Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Not a Best Buy but has anyone seen the report that half a rat has been found in some frozen Aldi veg ? Apparently Aldi have removed 38,000 packets from their stores but it doesn't say specifically which veg

Really funny that some people are saying "thank goodness I shop at wait rose / Asda / Morrisons etc" without realising that the same processing plant probably does the veg for everyone and just uses different packaging.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    Precisely..

There was an incident a few years ago when the factory that made Aldi's Ginger Nuts was closed down on hygiene grounds.

The good result with that, was that Aldi had changed to that supplier, who made a large number of 'value biscuits', from another supplier who made 'proper biscuits'.

Aldi are now using the original supplier, and their Ginger Nuts are once again things of beauty for 25p a pack.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 5th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Addressing Smodlet, mcculloch29 said:

How very kind of you!

Perhaps it escaped your notice but using your own terms, the thread went off topic at reply #2111 when the returns policy was introduced. And the OP may shop at lidls!

is this directed at those who went off topic after #2111 in general or the OP in particular?

Smodlet did not start the discussion on Aldi!!!8217;s returns policy, he simply used the freedom to comment where he likes, to contribute to the off topic part of this thread.

I do apologise for going off topic.
    Originally posted by abandonded

Well, thanks for those observations. I stand by what I said.

Your other posts don't indicate that you regularly troll, and do indicate that you are a senior citizen, with perhaps, a lot of time on your hands.
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    • 17,773 Posts
    • 106,469 Thanks
    maman
    In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that my total bill in Aldi seems to have jumped up.

I can analyse odd extras I've bought or individual items that have increased in price but I've done that before without such an effect. I really need to get some old receipts out to check why.

In the past two weeks my Aldi bill has been the highest ever.

Is it just me?
    • Judi
    • By Judi 5th Feb 18, 9:40 PM
    • 15,978 Posts
    • 68,924 Thanks
    Judi
    In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that my total bill in Aldi seems to have jumped up.

I can analyse odd extras I've bought or individual items that have increased in price but I've done that before without such an effect. I really need to get some old receipts out to check why.

In the past two weeks my Aldi bill has been the highest ever.

Is it just me?
    Originally posted by maman
    No its not you.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 25,436 Posts
    • 54,119 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I can analyse odd extras I've bought or individual items that have increased in price but I've done that before without such an effect.
    Originally posted by maman
    Post a recent receipt and we'll all have a go at spotting the difference

I can tell you that bananas have gone up in price, for example; so thats a few pence accounted for.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • abandonded
    • By abandonded 5th Feb 18, 10:00 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    abandonded
    I stand by what I said.

As far as I can see, you are not a Board Guide, you are not a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly and you most certainly are not a Moderator. Nevertheless, it would appear that you take it upon yourself to assume some of the responsibilities of all three by attempting to lay down the law as to what a member can and cannot do. And then, because I disagree with you, call me a troll!

Your other posts do indicate that you are a senior citizen, with perhaps, a lot of time on your hands.
    If my 271 posts over 10 years indicate that perhaps I have a lot of time on my hands, what do your own posts, 4688 over roughly the same period, indicate?
    Abandoned
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 5th Feb 18, 10:18 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    treboeth
    I remember the days when this used to be about Aldi/Lidl good buys

@Vfm4meplse I noticed the bananas have gone up ij price but down in size

I used to take delight in picking the biggest greenest ones from the boxes.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Feb 18, 10:39 PM
    • 9,932 Posts
    • 9,807 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I remember the days when this used to be about Aldi/Lidl good buys
    Originally posted by treboeth
    Seconded.

Can we have a little less confrontation, and a little more moneysaving action, please.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 5th Feb 18, 10:49 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    treboeth
    Seconded.

Can we have a little less confrontation, and a little more moneysaving action, please.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

What about the bananas though
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Feb 18, 10:58 PM
    • 9,932 Posts
    • 9,807 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    What about the bananas though
    Originally posted by treboeth
    I get the mini bananas from Aldi.

You must be the only person who buys green bananas.

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 5th Feb 18, 11:48 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    As far as I can see, you are not a Board Guide, you are not a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly and you most certainly are not a Moderator. Nevertheless, it would appear that you take it upon yourself to assume some of the responsibilities of all three by attempting to lay down the law as to what a member can and cannot do. And then, because I disagree with you, call me a troll!

If my 271 posts over 10 years indicate that perhaps I have a lot of time on my hands, what do your own posts, 4688 over roughly the same period, indicate?
    Originally posted by abandonded
    Most of my posts are on a handful of threads. Iíve made dozens on this one in its various incarnations. I make meaningful contributions that by and large, are on topic.
    You, in contrast, decided to come on here just to have a go at me, after I dared to criticise a post for being off topic, in an attempt to keep the thread on track.
    I still work.
    This is my ďplayĒ, but I like helping people, so thatís why I post here.

A troll is someone who posts to spread disquiet.
    The thread was back on track, but you chose to re-ignite a cooling argument.
    So, that is trollish behaviour.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 5th Feb 18, 11:53 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Back on track. I have noticed rises in milk, but I have also noticed cheap alternatives disappearing from time to time. Cheap beans, cheap pasta and a few other things went missing, so I had to buy more expensive replacements.
    That was my own explanation to myself.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,559Posts Today

5,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin